ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2022 thread*****

Al Yellon on BCB is pitching a Heyward to the Padres for Hosmer bad contract swap, where maybe some prospects get thrown in by each side, or maybe Frank The Tank because he could play 1B for the Padres full time.
I am kind of anxious to see what Frank might be capable of in a full season.

Is Hosmer a left handed hitter? The Cubs will need some LH power next season.

So, is the DH a sure thing in the NL next year? Brett Taylor on BN is floating a potential trade with the Padres to bring Hosmer to the Cubs, and a prospect in exchange for eating his salary. The only way that works is if he can DH.
No, but I assume it will be part of collective bargaining. I’m guessing all sides will want it and it’ll get baked into the deal. I’m not really a DH guy and I still think it’s an abomination, but I have come around to the idea that the sport should just have one set of rules. The DH is a pretty big advantage for the AL, given that they can budget to pay a strong hitter, while the NL teams throw out a platoon guy or a bench bat as DH.

Reactions: MuscoHawk
MLB network had a segment today on the four ex Cubs, KB/Rizzo/Schwarber/Baez, and the "expert" said he thinks the chances of them returning are next to zero.

Thinks Cubs are going to go cheap and look for bargain guys.

MLB network had a segment today on the four ex Cubs, KB/Rizzo/Schwarber/Baez, and the "expert" said he thinks the chances of them returning are next to zero.

none of them are worth bringing back. Did you see what the giants said about kb? Yikes

Reactions: lucas80

We’ll see what they do and I could certainly be proven wrong, but I think the going for “cheap” and “bargain” players is being way overblown based on the moves at the trade deadline next year. The Cubs have a lot of money to spend and while they may not spend all of it, they’re not going to roll in with a bottom-half payroll. I think they might jump in on one marquee player, but mostly, I think they’re going to try to hammer the mid-tier FA market to fill some holes with solid players on shorter, but potentially high AAV deals.

As for the KB/Rizzo/Schwarbs/Javy group, they’ll always be favorites, but they all have some flaws and/or are looking for an awful lot of money. If the markets they think are there aren’t, I could see the Cubs bringing one of them back, but that can’t be an off-season priority. The Cubs are being remade in a different image and we’ll see how that goes.

There was talk of Rizzo to SD for Hosmer and a prospect at the deadline. I don’t think there is much Hosmer-to-the-Cubs smoke anymore.

That’s the word, the Cubs won’t be in on any of the big name guys. More Miley-type deals, one or two years that won’t cost a lot. SP is obviously a priority, but they have at a minimum two spots locked up in the rotation.

I’d be ok with Hosmer if it either got Heyward off the books or the Cubs got a solid prospect out of it.

No, but I assume it will be part of collective bargaining. I’m guessing all sides will want it and it’ll get baked into the deal. I’m not really a DH guy and I still think it’s an abomination, but I have come around to the idea that the sport should just have one set of rules. The DH is a pretty big advantage for the AL, given that they can budget to pay a strong hitter, while the NL teams throw out a platoon guy or a bench bat as DH.
The DH is an abomination. It’s for the shiny things fan.

Reactions: mphawk
It is kind of interesting to learn how an entire sports league came about to have different rules internally.

The AL and NL used to have umpires that wore different outfits and had different strike zones. Pic is from 1973 World Series ... the year after the DH started in AL. The leagues were really separate back in the day. Note chest protector ... :)

WJ22E4MLSEP4KDSIP2I64JVH3E.jpg

The AL and NL used to have umpires that wore different outfits and had different strike zones. Pic is from 1973 World Series ... the year after the DH started in AL. The leagues were really separate back in the day. Note chest protector ... :)

WJ22E4MLSEP4KDSIP2I64JVH3E.jpg
Poor Augie--fudged that game up pretty bad. He was the Joe West before Joe West.

Big 40 man decisions on the horizon. I am curious to see who the team invests in.

We're going to have to decide on the official Cubs thread here soon. I vote the other one because it's better and I started it.

It's pretty clear that Cub mgmt is shopping at Dollar General in the rebuild. It's gonna be a long ways back unless they catch lightning in a bottle and everyone has a career year at the same time.

Ouch.

Reactions: mstp1992
So far, it’s been an underwhelming offseason, but as I always say - I’m not going to judge the offseason until spring training starts. I have no power here, so I’m just not going to let myself get caught up in a partially complete offseason.

Yan Gomes is a good backup signing and might even allow Willson some position flexibility where he could play, but not catcher everyday. This does fill a need - it just doesn’t fill all the needs or the most important needs.

If the Cubs don’t spend north of $150M, then I’m going to be pretty disappointed in the offseason. There are still plenty of guys out there that could be had within what the Cubs’ budget would A) give them a chance to compete in this division and B) not burden them for future growth.

I’m going to wait and see, but we’re definitely in “deep breath” time right now.

Projection was 5yr/$110M ($22M AAV) so they paid a little extra, but only tied to three years.

The rotation is taking shape, which is a HUGE improvement. Hopefully the infield defense is up to the task because there are going to be a lot of balls put in play. Not complaining, just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT