ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 thread*****

Motel with the big knock tonight, plus a single and a walk. That’s why you go as long as you can at 3rd with him. He showed some ability last night in the field, and that bat…
A solid effort by Brown in his first start. Hopefully he’s settling in.
Why was he pulled 1 out away from a win? Pitch count (79)?

Largely just playing the long game. Seems they wanted him out around 75 pitches. I kind of wanted him to stay in and chase the opportunity for a win, but I don’t really mind the move.

Guessing they’d let him go the next time. He is still being ramped up. Smyly was ready and Counsel probably had it that he’d finish the 5th and go out for the 6th.

PCA was pulled from a game this week, right shoulder issue, I think. Nothing serious.
I sure as heck HOPE it's nothing serious.

The guy you left off is Wisdom. He hit a homer and a double last night. As soon as he’s GTG Garrett Cooper will be released.
I guess we'll see, but I don't see that happening. I don't think the Cubs would sign a NRI and give him a $1.5M contract just so he could fill a gap for a few weeks. He's hitting .417 in the early going, and I'll bet the club likes having his veteran presence. Mastro and Madrigal both have options left. My guess is that when Wisdom comes back, Madrigal is optioned until someone else gets hurt, Wisdom proves to be ineffective or he (Wisdom or Madrigal) is traded.

Reactions: TheCainer
I sure as heck HOPE it's nothing serious.

I guess we'll see, but I don't see that happening. I don't think the Cubs would sign a NRI and give him a $1.5M contract just so he could fill a gap for a few weeks. He's hitting .417 in the early going, and I'll bet the club likes having his veteran presence. Mastro and Madrigal both have options left. My guess is that when Wisdom comes back, Madrigal is optioned until someone else gets hurt, Wisdom proves to be ineffective or he (Wisdom or Madrigal) is traded.
Money might be an issue, but Cooper can DH and play 1B. He played a few innings in LF during ST. Wisdom plays 3B, 1B, and LF passably, plus is a DH/PH with a lot more power. Madrigal isn’t going anywhere as long as Morel is starting games at 3rd. Whenever there is a lead Madrigal will come in as a defensive sub until Counsel is more confident about Morel’s defense.

Money might be an issue, but Cooper can DH and play 1B. He played a few innings in LF during ST. Wisdom plays 3B, 1B, and LF passably, plus is a DH/PH with a lot more power. Madrigal isn’t going anywhere as long as Morel is starting games at 3rd. Whenever there is a lead Madrigal will come in as a defensive sub until Counsel is more confident about Morel’s defense.
Madrigal has played some excellent D at 3B so far but does he still have options? Does Mastrobuoni also still have options too? He plays some 3B too, doesn't he? That would let Cooper play more 1B if needed.

Also, can Busch play 3B if needed? I seem to recall when the Cubs made that trade that he was listed as a 3rd baseman, but I don't think he has played there at all, even in ST. If so, that would give the Cubs even more flexibility.

Madrigal has played some excellent D at 3B so far but does he still have options? Does Mastrobuoni also still have options too? He plays some 3B too, doesn't he? That would let Cooper play more 1B if needed.

Also, can Busch play 3B if needed? I seem to recall when the Cubs made that trade that he was listed as a 3rd baseman, but I don't think he has played there at all, even in ST. If so, that would give the Cubs even more flexibility.
Madrigal and Mastrobuoni both have options, but do you demote one of them to protect a AAAA guy? Busch is going to play 1B, that's why he was brought in, to anchor that spot.

On the plus side the Cubs only had to use Palencia and Cuas out of the bullpen tonight. With the off day tomorrow the bulk of the pen will have multiple days off before Friday's game. And, the next two series are against sub .500 teams. There is plenty of time to salvage a decent road trip.

I’m so done with Hendricks

He’s not a big league pitcher anymore
Meh, Hendricks is all about control. I am hopeful he just hasn't rounded into form, yet. He always seems to start slowly.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he came up with a phantom injury. His bad start is concerning.
I'm not quite ready to kick him to the curb, but if he does not improve significantly in the next month or so, I have a hard time believing that he will suddenly find his stuff in June. If not, a starting 5 of Steele-Taillon-Wicks-Imanaga-Assad for a bulk of the season isn't bad, with Brown a reliable backup and Horton waiting in the wings. I guess my overall thoughts are he may still have some value but he is far from irreplaceable.

I'm not quite ready to kick him to the curb, but if he does not improve significantly in the next month or so, I have a hard time believing that he will suddenly find his stuff in June. If not, a starting 5 of Steele-Taillon-Wicks-Imanaga-Assad for a bulk of the season isn't bad, with Brown a reliable backup and Horton waiting in the wings. I guess my overall thoughts are he may still have some value but he is far from irreplaceable.
Hendricks has an ERA of 5+ in April over his career according to the Score this morning. If he's struggling by mid May then you have a big problem.

Reactions: hawkifann
Hendricks has an ERA of 5+ in April over his career according to the Score this morning. If he's struggling by mid May then you have a big problem.
I’ve seen reports that Hendricks is going to IL, but nothing yet from the official transaction log or any of the beat writers, so we’ll see.

Agree here though. Hendricks is a slow starter, so I’m not ready to pull any plugs yet.

I’m not a fan of Keegan, but I’m ok with this. I look at it as his last chance to prove he’s a big-leaguer and deserves to be tendered an ARB1 contract next season. Win-Win scenario as far as I’m concerned- If he does well, great; BP needs a boost. If he doesn’t, I’m pretty sure I’ll never have to see him again…
I was listening to Counsel on the Score and he used the word, "opportunity". Thompson should look it like that. I know the word can be a punchline at times in sports/life, but for Thompson it's fitting at this point of his career. Succeed, great. You don't, and there are guys pushing from below at the 40 man roster.

Everyone have their Apple TV subscription paid up for tonight?🤑

I've been watching their Manhunt miniseries so I am current but will probably cancel in a week or so.

Reactions: lucas80

I've been watching their Manhunt miniseries so I am current but will probably cancel in a week or so.
I do, but honestly I might not have the energy to stay up late enough to watch this one.

I wonder if I'll still get it on the MLB App subscription?

For those of you not watching the South Bend club on Marquee you just missed an absolute bomb by Jefferson Rojas. He doesn't turn 19 for a few more weeks and he's at high A.

• Love
Reactions: TheCainer
For those of you not watching the South Bend club on Marquee you just missed an absolute bomb by Jefferson Rojas. He doesn't turn 19 for a few more weeks and he's at high A.
Was he the one everyone was excited about last year in low A

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT