ADVERTISEMENT

******Official Iowa at Illinois Game Thread. 8pm CT, FS1.*****

KcTo said:
Garza takes 1 shot last 4 minutes, Garza a near non factor in 2h. 🤔

Mainly because he got into foul trouble. He played 28 minutes and needs to be around 32-34. I wish Fran would use the tv timeouts better in getting guys rest. If he does, that will get guys longer breaks with not a lot of game time off the clock. I also think Fran plays guys a little too long before he gives them breaks. In a long season, those extended minutes can really affect a player late in the season.

POY front runner Garza has 6 points in only 12 2H minutes was the difference as Iowa scores only 34 2H points.

Garza is an offensive scoring juggernaut (that is in a elite college BB class that include Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley and 3 others )and who’s offensive touches must be maximized for IOWA to optimize their winning chances.

it seems so obvious to me that when there is any hint of potential Garza foul trouble, Iowa coaching should ‘adjust‘ their strategy in ways that don’t involve benching your premier player for long stretches of play.

when playing against brute force like kofi, Iowa coaching should anticipate foul trouble with Garza, which did occur, and resulted in Frans consistent approach of benching his best players.

an alternative approach is when Garza picks up the 3rd foul is to bring in Nunge, give nunge primary defensive responsibilities for kofi, and continue to run the offensive touches thru Garza, maximizing his offensive contributions, while minimizing his defensive risk of picking up additional fouls.

the alternative is Fran once again ‘fouling out his own players’ resulting in Fran limiting Garza’s impact on the game more than Illinois limiting Garza’s impact on the game, as we once again we see a mandatory benching having a huge impact on Garzas contribution (6 2h points) and iowas 34 2h points.

what would it mean to have Garza play an additional 5-7 minutes in a game that is tied with < 2minutes of play? I’m putting forth that Iowa would have been ahead by by 1-3 possessions and been able to use their FT shooting skills to close out the game.

it’s an alternative history that can be no worse than this outcome....

KcTo said:
Garza takes 1 shot last 4 minutes, Garza a near non factor in 2h. 🤔

POY front runner Garza has 6 points in only 12 2H minutes was the difference as Iowa scores only 34 2H points.

Garza is an offensive scoring juggernaut (that is in a elite college BB class that include Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley and 3 others )and who’s offensive touches must be maximized for IOWA to optimize their winning chances.

it seems so obvious to me that when there is any hint of potential Garza foul trouble, Iowa coaching should ‘adjust‘ their strategy in ways that don’t involve benching your premier player for long stretches of play.

when playing against brute force like kofi, Iowa coaching should anticipate foul trouble with Garza, which did occur, and resulted in Frans consistent approach of benching his best players.

an alternative approach is when Garza picks up the 3rd foul is to bring in Nunge, give nunge primary defensive responsibilities for kofi, and continue to run the offensive touches thru Garza, maximizing his offensive contributions, while minimizing his defensive risk of picking up additional fouls.

the alternative is Fran once again ‘fouling out his own players’ resulting in Fran limiting Garza’s impact on the game more than Illinois limiting Garza’s impact on the game, as we once again we see a mandatory benching having a huge impact on Garzas contribution (6 2h points) and iowas 34 2h points.

what would it mean to have Garza play an additional 5-7 minutes in a game that is tied with < 2minutes of play? I’m putting forth that Iowa would have been ahead by by 1-3 possessions and been able to use their FT shooting skills to close out the game.

it’s an alternative history that can be no worse than this outcome....
Okay, Nunge guards Kofi if they are playing man. Who does Garza defend in man in that case? If I am Illinois, I would love for Iowa to do this. Every trip down the floor I would attack Garza off the dribble and pick up another foul on him. If they play their suspect zone, Garza will still have the potential to pick up a foul. If Garza doesn't pick up the one stupid foul where he caught Murray as well, wouldn't be talking about him on the bench. Garza also didn't really shoot the ball very well either last night from outside of 5 feet.

Reactions: KcTo
Okay, Nunge guards Kofi if they are playing man. Who does Garza defend in man in that case? If I am Illinois, I would love for Iowa to do this. Every trip down the floor I would attack Garza off the dribble and pick up another foul on him. If they play their suspect zone, Garza will still have the potential to pick up a foul. If Garza doesn't pick up the one stupid foul where he caught Murray as well, wouldn't be talking about him on the bench. Garza also didn't really shoot the ball very well either last night from outside of 5 feet.
Easy, garza guards geanderson 6 6 F with 3.4 ppg, and dare him to shoot the ball over you, if he decides to drive, Garza gives way and become the shot blocker, but he doesn’t go out and guard him navel to navel outside the paint.

then you’ve got the opposite dilemma with who guards Nunge and Nunge getting to the post up game with Garza going outside,

there are solutions to benching Garza, (are they all 💯 perfect, no) but we can see what happens when Fran Fouls him out

that is precisely what Iowa MUST prevent

Easy, garza guards geanderson 6 6 F with 3.4 ppg, and dare him to shoot the ball over you, if he decides to drive, Garza gives way and become the shot blocker, but he doesn’t go out and guard him navel to navel outside the paint.

then you’ve got the opposite dilemma with who guards Nunge and Nunge getting to the post up game with Garza going outside,

there are solutions to benching Garza, (are they all 💯 perfect, no) but we can see what happens when Fran Fouls him out

that is precisely what Iowa MUST prevent

If Illinois ran more of a pass and screen offense, I might do something like that as well. They will just put him in a bunch of ball screens and he would end up not guarding him anyway. If Iowa would hedge ball screens so the person hedging would have his numbers face the sideline, I might be okay with it. But Iowa almost always shows their numbers towards half court which to me, creates a lot of problems for them.

If Illinois ran more of a pass and screen offense, I might do something like that as well. They will just put him in a bunch of ball screens and he would end up not guarding him anyway. If Iowa would hedge ball screens so the person hedging would have his numbers face the sideline, I might be okay with it. But Iowa almost always shows their numbers towards half court which to me, creates a lot of problems for them.
If it were me, I’d be playing Nunge on Kofi and the very hint of Garza foul trouble, no matter what the other defensive match ups are, as Garza on offense is the very best offensive weapon in this college BB season and his minutes in the court must be meticulously protected.

Reactions: tippet1
If it were me, I’d be playing Nunge on Kofi and the very hint of Garza foul trouble, no matter what the other defensive match ups are, as Garza on offense is the very best offensive weapon in this college BB season and his minutes in the court must be meticulously protected.
I think it would have been tough to do yesterday due to Nunge not being able to hang onto the ball very well. For Garza to be most effective, he has to play both in and out. When Bezhanishvili was in the game, Garza should have touched the ball in the paint every trip down. When Kofi was in, it didn't really matter if Garza was in or out. I thought Illinois did a good job of not allowing space for Garza to shoot on the perimeter and Garza didn't shoot it very well yesterday either.

I think it would have been tough to do yesterday due to Nunge not being able to hang onto the ball very well. For Garza to be most effective, he has to play both in and out. When Bezhanishvili was in the game, Garza should have touched the ball in the paint every trip down. When Kofi was in, it didn't really matter if Garza was in or out. I thought Illinois did a good job of not allowing space for Garza to shoot on the perimeter and Garza didn't shoot it very well yesterday either.
i wonder what is Nunges issue with his hands? It seems he does have an in ordinate amount of fumbles?

garza only 3-5 FGA in 2h, that is where the game was lost as the offense must run them him more, no 2h FTs either, but then again, it’s hard to get shots up when you send about half the 2h on the bench

its like having lebron James on the team and you can only get him 5 FGA in the 2h..? What’s up with that?

i wonder what is Nunges issue with his hands? It seems he does have an in ordinate amount of fumbles?

garza only 3-5 FGA in 2h, that is where the game was lost as the offense must run them him more, no 2h FTs either, but then again, it’s hard to get shots up when you send about half the 2h on the bench

its like having lebron James on the team and you can only get him 5 FGA in the 2h..? What’s up with that?
I think Nunge just needs to play angry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT