ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Iowa at Penn State game thread*****

Chishawk1425

HR King
Nov 27, 2019
Need this road win. Not must win but as close as to it there is with what they have remaining on schedule to get to 10 league wins. Go Hawks!!

Reactions: mstp1992
Fran's teams have played lots of games against opponents that are far inferior to Iowa before, and has somehow found ways to screw the pooch. I'll be watching tonight's game like everyone else, but it will have to take a herculean effort to come away with a win. Because Fran is stubborn and only sees his way is the best way, I just don't see Iowa coming away with a W tonight unless the players can overcome Iowa's coaching deficiency's and it all depends on who sees the most minutes.

• Haha
Reactions: Slim45
I keep hearing Iowa simply needs to get to 10 B1G wins. Well, I still think it matters who you beat and where you beat them.

And then I hear we don't have any bad losses, which is true, but I don't see how we can afford to lose tonight or any (Michigan arguable is the exception) of these remaining away games:

Michigan (10-8, 4-4)
Penn State (8-9, 3-6)
Maryland (11-10, 3-7)
Nebraska (6-15, 0-10)

Iowa has 14 wins, of course. On Friday, Mike DeCourcy had us as a 10 seed in his latest bracket. Bracket Matrix has us as the dreaded 8 seed. I am guessing it is because of who we have beaten so far.

So, can we really afford to lose to Penn State tonight?

Per KenPom:

332: Iowa's Nonconference Strength of Schedule
...71: Iowa's Overall Strength of Schedule

Here are the KenPom Ranks of who we have beaten, as of January 31, 2022:

10 Iowa Nonconference Wins:

328..Western Michigan
308..Alabama State

298..NC Central
291..Southeastern Louisiana
287..Portland State
253...Kansas City

195...Western Illinois
161...Longwood

...93...Virginia
...42...Utah State

4 Iowa Conference Wins:

...90...Maryland (home win)
...25...Indiana (home win)
...91...Minnesota (away win)
...83...Penn State (home win)

Reactions: F5n5
PSU plays an ugly brand of basketball. They slow the game down & use up a lot of shot clock before shooting.

Typically the first team to 60 wins. PSU gives up 65 ppg; Iowa scores 83 ppg.

I would imagine we will be seeing a lot of full court press, trying to speed them up/force turnovers.

Luckily we have PMac at the top of the press, playing 30 minutes! ;)

Last edited:
Last time we played PSU, 119 points were scored (68-51).

The O/U for tonight is 139. Take the UNDER.

Iowa is a 4.5 point favorite.

And just remember that PSU only has 1 fewer conference win than Iowa and they play better at home; so don't be too outraged if the game is close.

PSU's last 3 home games:

* They beat Indiana by 3, 61-58
* They lost to Purdue by 7, 74-67
* They beat Rutgers by 17, 66-49

Reactions: F5n5
Have a work dinner at 6 and going to have to watch the replay. Cheer hard for me and go Hawks!

Nice bigten network just took a dig at Jordans consistency. he can’t just blame negative fans now for what he feels is unwarranted criticism

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT