ADVERTISEMENT

****Official Iowa vs MSU game thread****

Garza came to fight. We couldn’t throw it in the ocean from the 3. We saw Iowa really play well in the first half, but we don’t have the athletes to compete with this club. We lost a bunch of rebounds just due to not having the strength in the hands to hold the ball. Turnovers were as good as we have been, especially given the MSU D.

Go get Minnesota.

Tyler has been doing his part all season imho. His D can be weak but he usually makes up for it in other ways. Honestly if I had to blame anyone today, I would have to blame Fran's coaching.

I’m not sure what Fran or Iowa could’ve done once MSU got hot from 3. Honestly, there’s a pretty big talent disparity between the teams. One is a final 4 type of team, the other probably doesn’t see the second weeken of the tournament.

Iowa is close. Michigan State is really damn good, always hard to beat them unless refs disallow their unbelievable physicality, and Winston and McQuaid do what seems like always happens—shot out of their minds to break the game. Michigan State had to play out of their ass to change the tenor of that game and they did.

And Iowa now knows exactly how good they can be, but how much more work is to be done.

I'm encouraged. I want so badly for Iowa to beat Michigan State. I hate to swallow this as a damn fan. I have a good feeling these kids on this team are going to use this game to fuel their work and attention to detail for at least a few weeks.
A lot closer then where we were in December.

Matchup.
Ya got to make baskets, period!

i
i

FG Made-Attempted 27-51 27-70
Field Goal % 52.9 38.6
3PT Made-Attempted 8-19 5-24
Three Point % 42.1 20.8
FT Made-Attempted 20-21 8-8
Free Throw % 95.2 100.0
Rebounds 43 25
Offensive Rebounds 11 11
Defensive Rebounds 32 14
Assists 16 13
Steals 3 9
Blocks 2 0
Total Turnovers 19 6
Fouls 13 16
Technical Fouls

Reactions: justinjdry
I’m not sure what Fran or Iowa could’ve done once MSU got hot from 3. Honestly, there’s a pretty big talent disparity between the teams. One is a final 4 type of team, the other probably doesn’t see the second weeken of the tournament.
The only thing they could have done is answered, and the shots just weren’t falling.

I guess this loss just doesn’t really concern me

This was the difference to me. MSU has a player who routinely answers other teams’ runs and can keep them in games. Iowa has players capable of doing this, but they didn’t do it tonight. They folded.

It’s a loss, and it’s not even that bad of one. Would have liked it to be a close game on the home court but oh well
I'd agree that it isn't that bad of a loss if Iowa hadn't lost the game for themselves. It was reminiscent of the Iowa/Wis football game this past season.

It is hard to win giving up 51 points in a half. Long misses cause long rebounds and runouts. We stopped getting the ball to Cook and Garza down low and played MSU's game. Ugliest half of the year. I hope they can shake it off and get back on the winning track. Still a lot of season left.

Reactions: Bravehawk56
IMO it really showed how we struggle when guard play is needed at certain points in the game. Winston picked us apart when he needed to. That’s great guard play to know when you have to score. Inability of guards to put pressure on the defense makes it easy to clamp down defensively inside which MSU did well in the 2nd half. Just a better team we lost to.
I have to ask - why in the hell do you have IT as your picture?

Matchup.
Ya got to make baskets, period!

i
i

FG Made-Attempted 27-51 27-70
Field Goal % 52.9 38.6
3PT Made-Attempted 8-19 5-24
Three Point % 42.1 20.8
FT Made-Attempted 20-21 8-8
Free Throw % 95.2 100.0
Rebounds 43 25
Offensive Rebounds 11 11
Defensive Rebounds 32 14
Assists 16 13
Steals 3 9
Blocks 2 0
Total Turnovers 19 6
Fouls 13 16
Technical Fouls

It is almost like if you let a blue-chip team play without calling them on anything that they outperform a regular team.

I'd agree that it isn't that bad of a loss if Iowa hadn't lost the game for themselves. It was reminiscent of the Iowa/Wis football game this past season.
Credit where it’s due to Winston who single handedly kept things from getting out of control and bringing them back in the game.

Iowa just can’t afford to have games where their three best perimeter shooters are all ice cold. Despite Luka and Cook having strong games. I guess this just emphasizes the degree to which basketball is a guard’s game

You are spot on with that. It just sucks that Iowa plays with such intensity in the 1st half and blow it in the 2nd half time and time again.

Credit where it’s due to Winston who single handedly kept things from getting out of control and bringing them back in the game.

Iowa just can’t afford to have games where their three best perimeter shooters are all ice cold. Despite Luka and Cook having strong games. I guess this just emphasizes the degree to which basketball is a guard’s game

This

Reactions: justinjdry

It's a common theme, good guards equal winning basketball.

Frustrating loss.

They are just too big, strong, faster, and better shooters. With their size and physicality, they just beat you up without fouling but draw fouls. Add in Iowa shots 38% in the second half, they shot 68% with a ton more 3 pointers and free throws. They beat Iowa and the way they have been winning this season.

Whatever though. I'm a 250 lb. fatass that drinks beer and watches burgers for the game. I really don't have much room to criticize anyone, let alone D1 athletes and coaches.

Reactions: Moral
Whatever though. I'm a 250 lb. fatass that drinks beer and watches burgers for the game. I really don't have much room to criticize anyone, let alone D1 athletes and coaches.
I'm gonna move one cushion down my couch now so I can reach my PS4 and play some video games.

As far as shooting goes, looks like we blew our wad vs Illannoy! To be fair MSU didn’t give the Hawks a lot of good looks in the 2nd half. Everything was contested

Iowa usually doesn't lose because of shooting (lack of shooting), but tonight we were 5-24 from 3 and 0 for the second half by everyone but Garza, I think. We also got pummeled on the boards 43-25. I think our lack of offense had alot to do with our let down on defense in the second half, along with Winston, who is a damn good player. Bad game for JBo and JoeW to be cold and Moss to not show up.

The game plan and effort were there. The execution was not. Let's beat the Goofers, which I think is a very big game.

Disappointed in the loss but not the effort. There were some weak spots but overall the defense was much better. Shots weren’t falling for lots of reasons.

Good God. Stop with the officiating garbage! Iowa has failed to make shots. MSU has executed. That is the difference.

Do you understand the effect officiating has on a game? Seriously?

Is it easier to rebound by climbing over or just pushing the defensive rebounder out of the way, or harder? If you're shooting inside is it easier or harder if the defender can hit you across the shooting arm. Is it easier to get around a defender if the defender can push or hold, or harder?

Before the two or three calls after the game was out of reach Iowa shot 1, that is right ONE, free throw, in more than 15 and half minutes of play. Its pretty easy to make a big run when you aren't getting called for any fouls regardless of how many you actually commit or how obviously you commit them.

Would Sparty have made that second half run if 5 or 6 of the fouls that weren't called on Cook or Garza when Iowa was getting the ball inside were called? That probably means Ward and another big guy is sitting in foul trouble while Iowa's starters are playing bench guys. That means Iowa is shooting free throws-which Iowa does more than any other team in the country (makes the corruption tonight so especially obvious) and adding to the 6-8 point lead the boys held for a few minutes. Maybe Sparty doesn't feel so loose on his shots if he's down 14 instead of 8 and misses a couple of those threes. Maybe that foul trouble means Sparty cannot be so physical on defense and loose balls. Maybe not but we'll never know because the officials did not allow that scenario to play out.

That is why the officiating matters and, tonight, was outcome determinative.

Last edited:

Is it easier to rebound by climbing over or just pushing the defensive rebounder out of the way, or harder? If you're shooting inside is it easier or harder if the defender can hit you across the shooting arm. Is it easier to get around a defender if the defender can push or hold, or harder?

Before the two or three calls after the game was out of reach Iowa shot 1, that is right ONE, free throw, in more than 15 and half minutes of play. Its pretty easy to make a big run when you aren't getting called for any fouls regardless of how many you actually commit or how obviously you commit them.

Would Sparty have made that second half run if 5 or 6 of the fouls that weren't called on Cook or Garza when Iowa was getting the ball inside were called? That probably means Ward and another big guy is sitting in foul trouble while Iowa's starters are playing bench guys. That means Iowa is shooting free throws-which Iowa does more than any other team in the country (makes the corruption tonight so especially obvious) and adding to the 6-8 point lead the boys held for a few minutes. Maybe Sparty doesn't feel so loose on his shots if he's down 14 instead of 8 and misses a couple of those threes. Maybe that foul trouble means Sparty cannot be so physical on defense and loose balls. Maybe not but we'll never know because the officials did not allow that scenario to play out.

You are so weak

That was probably the least annoyed I was at officiating in a MSU game in a long time. Cold shooting happens against great defenses all of the time. They make it difficult. My biggest disappointment was giving up 40 points in the first 12:40 of the half. Cannot let that happen. Even just holding them to 30 in that timeframe and it’s still a game down the stretch.

This is why MSU struggles in the tournament. They become so used to games being called like this during conference play, that once they get out of the conference and games don't get called like this, they don't know how to adjust.

Struggle in the tournament? Don’t make me do it...

This is a pathetic display of fandom. Came here to read some knowledgeable basketball takes and 95% of the posts were bitter immauture bullshit...Izzo fixes the games! Wah! The refs! Wah! Wah! Izzo supports rape! These players and program are the devil! Pathetic group of people over here.

Lame.

Iowa got screwed by the officials in the first game in East Lansing, although we probably lose anyhow. Tonight, we just lost, because we could not make shots or stop Winston in the second half. Officials did NOT determine the outcome.

This is a pathetic display of fandom. Came here to read some knowledgeable basketball takes and 95% of the posts were bitter immauture bullshit...Izzo fixes the games! Wah! The refs! Wah! Wah! Izzo supports rape! These players and program are the devil! Pathetic group of people over here.

BS..you came here to gloat and look for someone to poke fun at. Go back and drink your Flint water....best of luck...if Izzo doesn't take this group to the final four than he should be fired and you all failed IMO.

BS..you came here to gloat and look for someone to poke fun at. Go back and drink your Flint water....best of luck...if Izzo doesn't take this group to the final four than he should be fired and you all failed IMO.

Immediately proved my point with that Flint Water comment. Also not from Michigan. Cya.

Every fan base says the same thing about their game with MSU, it’s not just Iowa. MSU is given much more forgiveness by the officials and that’s something you know is fact. This loss is on Iowa, not the officials, but we as Iowa fans have witnessed a few games were the officials have handed your team the win.

I see a lot of name calling. For those who don't understand logic that's an actual fallacy...argumentum ad hominem. Laymen call it a personal attack.

You know, there is also an axiom arising from the fallacy of argumentum ad hominem: it's the first resort on an uninformed mind.

Tonight's game is a perfect example of what I said. When Michigan wasn't playing well the officials didn't keep them close by simply not calling fouls.

I see a lot of name calling. For those who don't understand logic that's an actual fallacy...argumentum ad hominem. Laymen call it a personal attack.

You know, there is also an axiom arising from the fallacy of argumentum ad hominem: it's the first resort on an uninformed mind.

Tonight's game is a perfect example of what I said. When Michigan wasn't playing well the officials didn't keep them close by simply not calling fouls.

:)

20101011cpbss-a.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT