ADVERTISEMENT

Soldier Salute Session IV Thread

Can someone link this shove that Rathjen allegedly initiated? I didn't see anything that I'd define as a shove. I could've missed it though.
Here you go friend. Bad angle as the ref is blocking the view but at the end while Anthony is still down on the mat Rathjen gives him a very insignificant though certainly not called for shove with his left hand, which wasn't taken well by a just defeated Anthony who gives a significantly better shove once he's on his feet. And then Rathjen went for the flex in your face antic, following which I was very impressed that Anthony didn't take the bait. If he is in fact the evil monster that some are making him out to be that would have been a great time for one of those get out of my face shoves to the face or chest. Anyhow, a whole lot of nothing from either of them following a very tough match. Happy for Rathjen for a hard fought victory.

No one is going to take your seriously when you compare Gabe Arnold's post match flex to AJ Ferrari throwing a slap and flipping off his opponent and the entire arena while doing the splits. In his first competition in a HWC singlet after recently have a sexual assault case dropped and nearly killing someone in a car accident.
You've got to be kidding me. Please show me where I compared Gabe to AJ or anyone for that matter. You can't because I didn't compare him to anyone. What I said was, "If one didn't like Gabe (and how could you not like Gabe), one could have easily gone the f**k off the reservation WRT his post match antics, flexing, etc. But for the most part nobody did because he's Gabe and we love the guy."

And truth be told a few posters did have a comment or two about Gabe's post match antics against a much weaker opponent, but I wasn't one of them. I'm happy that Gabe was excited and I don't give a rat's ass whether someone flexes or not. I enjoy these forum discussions and don't mind criticism, but if you're going to criticize at least criticize me for what I actually said and not what you think I meant or you understood me to say. I in no way compared Gabe to anyone nor did I criticize him in the least. Come on friend...

AJ has no business being in an Iowa singlet. Ever.
We need the talent him and Angelo bring to the team, so I'm hoping TnT and others can work with him regarding his inability to control his emotions. It's obvious he certainly didn't help his situation tonight.
Inexcusable. Teach restraint and self control. The wrestlers appear to be a reflection of their coaches. These guys need to be shown examples of elite combat athletes who have self control and respect for their opponents. GSP is one example. There are plenty of others.

Quit trying to act like the next Conor McGregor or Logan Paul.

The mental game is important. Impulse control is important. I was one of Desanto's biggest critics after his Micic match. It's impressive and admirable how he developed and grew as a man to control his emotions and respect his opponents. He had setbacks, but I don't recall any his senior season or as a graduate.

Wrestle offs were public for years without issue. Competition hasn't changed. There's always going to be some heat and maybe some lines crossed. That's ok. As long as it's addressed and corrections are made.

Humility needs to be taught, encouraged and valued. You can be humble while also being hyper competitive. Countless athletes have done it. You can even be cocky and egotistical. What you can't do is repeatedly cross the line and disrespect your opponent, teammates, or community. Especially when you're already on your 4th chance.
You've clearly done your research on AJ so can I ask what the first three things were that have him on his 4th chance. I've read about the alleged sexual assault and the very serious crash while passing in the no passing zone. Are these the first two? Is there another? Thank you.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I don't know how any sane adult walks away from the arena, and then watches the videos, and still thinks AJ isn't totally in the wrong. I'm just shocked.
Yeah, no matter what happened AJ definitely owns the punch attempt regardless of how weak it was and he definitely owns the finger(s) have gave. On BTN+ I could only see the one he gave Glazier but it sounds like there was at least one or two more after that. Not good. Not necessarily "off the team" offenses, but certainly not good.

• Haha
I get AJ got DQ’d. Justifiably. I don’t understand how he lost the match. I understand him not getting 1st. I understand his overall tourney points being eliminated say he was on a team. What I don’t understand is that being counted as a loss. He won the match in OT. IMO he should get a DQ I’d even understand not giving him credit for any of his wins but I don’t think it should be counted as a loss. He lost his marbles and is a bit crazy but he didn’t lose the match. That bracket should have went as it did 2-8 without a champion. Glazier should have got 2nd and so on. A bit confusing.

No because that would invalidate his argument. He thinks we are too stupid to notice.

The last time I watched an athlete give the bird to fans was AJ Brown for the Bucs. He’s never played another down in the nfl.
You left off a bit of the story, including the actual name of the guy you're supposedly talking about, but I think we've all gotten names wrong from time to time. That said, below is a link to the rest of the story; it includes all those parts you left out because you wanted us all to believe that the Bucs released Antonio Brown because he gave the fans the bird. What a nice wrap-up to the AJ Ferrari incident that would be. But you're a bit off the mark.

• Haha
I don't agree with this at all. Chittum was in the room for a year, easily 6 months before any Ferrari entered the picture.
That was long enough to officially commit or sign his NLI and it didn't happen.

Perhaps not Cody, but his dad was looking for an out and found one. He wasn't staying no matter what happened.
Whatever you say.

Nah, Rathjen gave him a little shove after the final whistle blew. It wasn't much but as amped up as he has been he may have added in a colorful comment as well. Anthony got up and gave a more aggressive push in the back but Rathjen definitely initiated the post-match pushing.
The Rathjen Ferrari back and forth reminded me of the bullies in A Christmas Story. They keep hitting each other in the arm a little harder than the time before. Rathjen gives a little one handed shove, Anthony doesn’t like it and gives a two handed shove on the way back to the center, then Rathjen does the entire flex thing. It was pretty harmless compared to 197.

Ironside: "a pretty hard push" by Glazier started it. "I disagree 100% with everything that just happened." Said it could have been called a double forfeit, or glazier getting DQ'd.

Says he loves Glazier, but he did not do enough to win. Ferrari family getting heckled by crowd, and that was not good or fair to their family.

Ironside has doubts that the Ferrari's come here...
Is ironside a god to you…..go watch it yourself and you’ll see what happened…..know one cares what ironside says……he’s wrong!!!!!

I don't think he did; he's just jaw-jacking. That's why it's worth paying $14.99 to BTN+ so one can actually watch what really happened before running their mouths. I'm telling you right now, if we lose the Ferrari's this entire anti-Ferrari crowd is going to be crying puppy dog tears and hating TnT next year because we're once again not competitive. I watched Gabe put on a much bigger flexing demonstration than anyone and I loved it. Good for him; he's a fired up college kid! 149 Ferrari didn't do anything wrong and was the much bigger - by a long shot - person in defeat than Rathjen was in victory.

And as for AJ, I just got done watching that match and the post-match shit. I haven't read all the posts yet, but if, once again, one actually watches the video one will see that it was Glazier was every bit involved in the post match activities as AJ. In fact AJ did the typical "I just won and now I'm going to push you and your head down because I can" maneuver, which ignited Glazier (which I loved seeing), which in turn ignited AJ. And that "punch" that caused the DQ wasn't half as close as I saw in the Rocky I - Rock IV movies. That missed Glazier by at least 6 inches. It was more of a FU throw, followed by a FU finger. So in the end, I think the FU finger was the worst thing I saw.

I beg those of you who haven't watch the video to please do so. The horror stories you're being fed aren't as bad as you think. And all the shit against the 149 Ferrari is just that, shit. That kid pushed in response to Rathjen's push and again was a much better loser than Rathjen was a winner. And I don't hate Rathjen; I'm glad he was fired up. But if you're going to point a finger please watch the video so you know where to point your finger. As for AJ, I think he wrestled like shit against Glazier...and kudos to Glazier for not taking any shit and keeping it close. But the post match activities were pretty weak. Yep, weak fist thrown and yep, very blatant "you're number one" finger was also thrown. But again, all pretty weak.

Some of you younger guys, please Google TnT matches from their college days, and read some of the shit their opponents said about them, and then come back and tell me how bad it really was tonight. We need to focus on controlling the emotions (a little), keeping the fire hot and room competition even hotter, and doing what it takes to make this team better. Try to see the good side of our team and don't focus on what others want you to see or think. Are you men who see what you see and make your own decisions or are you f'ing ants who wander through life following the ant in front of him.

If one didn't like Gabe (and how could you not like Gabe), one could have easily gone the f**k off the reservation WRT his post match antics, flexing, etc. But for the most part nobody did because he's Gabe and we love the guy.

Look at all the extracurricular shit you see when watching college or pro football games; there's nasty shit happening numerous times each game and nobody's getting thrown off teams and the fan bases aren't asking for their $10m/year cornerbacks, linebackers and safeties to be kicked off the team because they gave somebody the finger or threw a punch or acted like dicks. It's just the heat of the moment. And those guys aren't nearly as up close and personal for the same continuous duration as the fellas on the wrestling mats. We need to be better fans. I mean this is wrestling after all. Just my very wordy two cents.
Hey Nash I think someone hacked your account…..I’ve always thought you were one of the most reasonable posters on this page but some of your recent comments have me questioning that

I feel like he was excited about putting himself in the best position to win a spot in the Iowa Hawkeye line up, at a real event with fans and actual competition. Without completely excusing the actions, that is a big deal.
There's no excuse for how Caleb or AJ acted. Remember Caleb didn't even make the finals at the Lindenwood open. He wrestled tough but needs to do it against other teams. VV has to be out of contention now so lets hope Caleb or Anthony separate themselves against Big Ten opponents.

Last edited:
Yea, way over the top. A lifelong goal for a kid growing up in Iowa to make the starting lineup for Iowa Hawkeye wrestling team. Have to sit behind an all American/ blood round guy your first two years. Coaches bring in transfers to take your spot, don’t give you a wrestle off and you have to wait six weeks into the season to get a fair chance. Oh and all the fans don’t think you’re good enough to beat the transfers. You go out and beat both the transfers in back to back matches and win Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament. You’re right though he shouldn’t show emotion and fire.
You left out he lost at Lindenwood. I thought it was the Luther but knew he lost at one of the small toureys.

As for AJ, Tom needs to call Patrick Downey and ask for his short leash back. Then he needs to cut the leash in half.

Last edited:
You're one of AJ Ferrari's biggest critics on this board due to his behavior and personality, yet you're a diehard Trump supporter. That level of contradiction and moral inconsistency is impressive.
Is it really necessary to go here again? People can have different reasons for what, why, and who they choose to support. Being black and white on every critical issue is part of the reason we are where we are right now in this country.

There's no excuse for how Caleb or AJ acted. Remember Caleb didn't even make the finals at the Luther open. He wrestled tough but needs to do it against other teams. VV has to be out of contention now so lets hope Caleb or Anthony separate themselves against Big Ten opponents.
You are correct, Rathjen didn’t make the finals at Luther, because he didn’t wrestle at Luther.

You left out he had the first wrestle off at the Luther open. He lost before getting the chance to beat the transfers. I don't blame him for being ecstatic about the wins. I don't care who gets the spot but they need to be high All Americans or they can expect others to come in and take the spot.

As for AJ, Tom needs to call Patrick Downey and ask for his short leash back. Then he needs to cut the leash in half.
He didn’t wrestle at Luther, are you that clueless. Maybe do some research before you comment on something.

Reactions: hoythawk
He didn’t wrestle at Luther, are you that clueless. Maybe do some research before you comment on something.
Wrestle stat has him losing in the Lindenwood open which backs up my point that he needs to win matches outside of the room to be the guy. I apologize for having the wrong tournament. I don't know why I thought he was at Luther with VV and Anthony. I'm a fan of Caleb and hope he uses the win last night to propel himself to a monster season. I just don't think you should be on here acting like he hasn't gotten a fair shake to earn a spot when he lost in a weak tournament. It seems the starter has been chosen based on how they fare against outside competition instead of h2h so he needs to beat some conference studs.

Reactions: drunkengoat
Pretty easy. They appreciate, talent, and good hard wrestling, despite his history. Clearly their approval validated no bias coming into the event.

Then when his history followed him to the present, and he acted like a complete moron, they voiced their displeasure.

What bigger indictment can you see when the crowd gave him the benefit of the doubt and cheered, only for him to poison it to a cascade of boos.

My credit to the crowd who showed proper discernment.
Or maybe it was little more than up to the finals, Ferrari's were unattached but presumed to be upcoming Hawks wrestling guys from other teams, but in the finals they were wrestling current Hawks, including 1 home grown kid. The booing, or at least exuberant cheering for Rathjen/Glazier when they scored, was happening before the extracurriculars started. I'm not giving the fans that much credit. My guess is the Hawk fan response wouldn't have been booing if AJ was a Hawk and he'd just beat Brooks in the NCAA finals and the same occurred.

Wrestle stat has him losing in the Lindenwood open which backs up my point that he needs to win matches outside of the room to be the guy. I apologize for having the wrong tournament. I don't know why I thought he was at Luther with VV and Anthony. I'm a fan of Caleb and hope he uses the win last night to propel himself to a monster season. I just don't think you should be on here acting like he hasn't gotten a fair shake to earn a spot when he lost in a weak tournament. It seems the starter has been chosen based on how they fare against outside competition instead of h2h so he needs to beat some conference studs.
Who did VV beat in the Luther Open to earn the spot or any other dual matches. Heck he may of had two takedowns(total) of the matches he was getting in duals and Luther Open competition.

You've got to be kidding me. Please show me where I compared Gabe to AJ or anyone for that matter. You can't because I didn't compare him to anyone. What I said was, "If one didn't like Gabe (and how could you not like Gabe), one could have easily gone the f**k off the reservation WRT his post match antics, flexing, etc. But for the most part nobody did because he's Gabe and we love the guy."

And truth be told a few posters did have a comment or two about Gabe's post match antics against a much weaker opponent, but I wasn't one of them. I'm happy that Gabe was excited and I don't give a rat's ass whether someone flexes or not. I enjoy these forum discussions and don't mind criticism, but if you're going to criticize at least criticize me for what I actually said and not what you think I meant or you understood me to say. I in no way compared Gabe to anyone nor did I criticize him in the least. Come on friend...

Why is nobody worked up about this?

Last edited:
You've never posted one tidbit of inside information, but act like an ass to some who do. Are you pissed off because your kid came out looking like the mailman? Douchebag.
All I asked is how he feels about AJ currently. Big deal.

I've had some inside information over the years when I lived in Cedar Rapids and saw Iowa wrestlers like Joey Slaton often. I never posted any tidbits for a reason douchebag!

My new son looks just like me btw. Bald and beautiful. Thanks for caring

• Haha
Reactions: Iron Doc
Who did VV beat in the Luther Open to earn the spot or any other dual matches. Heck he may of had two takedowns(total) of the matches he was getting in duals and Luther Open competition.
I never said VV earned the spot. My point is Caleb losing at the Lindenwood was probably a large factor in VV getting the nod. I don't think we need to trash VV to prop up Caleb. Caleb also supposedly had 1 or 2 alcohol arrests that if true would factor into things. None of them have beaten a good enough opponent yet to say they've earned the spot. I love how Caleb has responded to the challenge. He has the spot right now and will continue trying to earn it in the coming weeks. I really like watching Caleb wrestle. I really like the guts Anthony showed in his matches also. Both guys have talent.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I never said VV earned the spot. My point is Caleb losing at the Lindenwood was probably a large factor in VV getting the nod. I don't think we need to trash VV to prop up Caleb. Caleb also supposedly had 1 or 2 alcohol arrests that if true would factor into things. None of them have beaten a good enough opponent yet to say they've earned the spot. I love how Caleb has responded to the challenge. He has the spot right now and will continue trying to earn it in the coming weeks. I really like watching Caleb wrestle. I really like the guts Anthony showed in his matches also. Both guys have talent.
Alot of very short memories - Desantos would never have wrestled if this puny caleb/anthony dust up is the standard for participation. Gabe spanking his opponents bottom while wrestling is far more absurd to me.

You either didn't watch the match or you're one of the anti-Ferrari guys. Rathjen clearly pushed first. That said, I don't care about either push, just want to give you the facts. And neither push was a total ass move...they were harmless pushes.
This pushing after the match bullcrap seems to mostly be an Iowa thing. It gets old. Sometimes they don’t do crap all match and then give the face push after. You just beat the guy, you don’t push his face. And the excuses that it shows pent up frustration or fire—that’s all bullshit.

Some guy pushes you after the match, you have to push back. You can’t take that.

I’m calling out Rathjen and AJ on that. Not Anthony or Glazier. Are we kicking Rathjen off too? Are we going to kick Arnold off for spanking a guy? That’s terrible. This weak shit has gone on for years at Iowa. It’s on Brands. He doesn’t seem to care. Stop the face push or face smush, or extra shove after the match. It’s classless and will rightfully escalate. Pretty simple. We seem to do it more than most teams.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT