ADVERTISEMENT

Steveson

Was watching NXT wrestling on USA network last night and they had some match with a bunch of wrestlers on the edge of the mat. Kinda resembled a cock fight scenario.
Anyway, GS was one of the guys on the outside and he was wearing his Olympic medal and rahrahing the event.
It just really appears he's nothing more than "a small fish in a big pond" type character today.
I really think his professional career is dead before it starts.
Naw. It's just a slow burn. There are no more Kurt Angles - basically the WWE performance center does such a good job, they don't have to rush anyone (see, Rousey, Ronda).

Reactions: Hawkgma
Was watching NXT wrestling on USA network last night and they had some match with a bunch of wrestlers on the edge of the mat. Kinda resembled a cock fight scenario.
Anyway, GS was one of the guys on the outside and he was wearing his Olympic medal and rahrahing the event.
It just really appears he's nothing more than "a small fish in a big pond" type character today.

The angle the other week when he first showed up was that he was going to help train a guy for the underground style fight because he was facing Damon Kemp (in reality that Gable's brother Bobby) and needed help with that style. Gable made a inside comment that no one knew Damon better than him when he popped up with the offer to help out, but best I know they haven't acknowledged they are real brothers yet. It's no surprise that when he announced he's coming back to college that they'd get him on TV, gives them a reason to promote him trying to win another NCAA and Gold medal and now fans will actually be familiar with him instead of just some guy that won a gold showing up and trying to think that was enough. He did look really good in that clip though.

The angle the other week when he first showed up was that he was going to help train a guy for the underground style fight because he was facing Damon Kemp (in reality that Gable's brother Bobby) and needed help with that style. Gable made a inside comment that no one knew Damon better than him when he popped up with the offer to help out, but best I know they haven't acknowledged they are real brothers yet. It's no surprise that when he announced he's coming back to college that they'd get him on TV, gives them a reason to promote him trying to win another NCAA and Gold medal and now fans will actually be familiar with him instead of just some guy that won a gold showing up and trying to think that was enough. He did look really good in that clip though.
First clip I've seen of him , I thought he played the role well and was quite entertaining. Lol
Appeared the fans know who he is and loved him.
Good for him.

I with you. Just dumb as hell, imo.
There was a time in the 70’s and 80’s where the characters personalities, interviews, story lines, rivalries were very entertaining, no matter what happened in the ring. The guys are still good athletes, but not as entertaining out of the ring now. Even the announcers were hilarious back in the day.

Not sure the gimmick they will have with GS and my bet is they make him a "good guy" at first.

Just an observation, but I predict he'll be the new Big E at the start.

Not sure the gimmick they will have with GS and my bet is they make him a "good guy" at first.

Just an observation, but I predict he'll be the new Big E at the start.
Right? If he ain’t been successful at this point, it’s because of how they’ve written him into the script. He’s just an actor.

Ah, I love a good Mitch prediction. I think my favorite one was when you said people were catching up to and passing Gable and he will never win a NCAA title. Gable will get his opportunity in the WWE. There is no need to rush him through right now especially if Gable wants another run at NCAAs and the Olympics.

Reactions: el dub
Ah, I love a good Mitch prediction. I think my favorite one was when you said people were catching up to and passing Gable and he will never win a NCAA title. Gable will get his opportunity in the WWE. There is no need to rush him through right now especially if Gable wants another run at NCAAs and the Olympics.
You may be correct.
Did you expect GS to lose to Cassar?

There was a time in the 70’s and 80’s where the characters personalities, interviews, story lines, rivalries were very entertaining, no matter what happened in the ring. The guys are still good athletes, but not as entertaining out of the ring now. Even the announcers were hilarious back in the day.
JR and Jerry "The King" Lawler were the best. This shit was electric!

Reactions: tiltman
Would that be as dead as Iowa's hopes of getting Gable to transfer there?
Time will tell.

Does not seem like a lot of high profile guys and recruits want to call Dinkytown home. And GS was the recipient of some " good luck" when the sexual assault victim suddenly disappeared.

But hey, Iowa fans love Eggum in Mpls.

Reactions: xjohnx and el dub
My favorite was Andy Kaufman driving fans bonkers back in the day.
I always realized pro wrestling was fake, but Lawler and Kaufman sold that fight so good on letterman, I didn’t know it wasn’t really bad blood until Lawler spoke about it in the last few years. Back then, pro wrestlers didn’t like people calling it out as fake or mocking it, which Kaufman had been doing for a while. They would get in real fights with some of these people. Remember John stossel get beat up on air by a wrestler he was confronting about being fake.

I always realized pro wrestling was fake, but Lawler and Kaufman sold that fight so good on letterman, I didn’t know it wasn’t really bad blood until Lawler spoke about it in the last few years. Back then, pro wrestlers didn’t like people calling it out as fake or mocking it, which Kaufman had been doing for a while. They would get in real fights with some of these people. Remember John stossel get beat up on air by a wrestler he was confronting about being fake.
Right? And then Kaufman bragging about being able to beat females made folks go bonkers. They played that southern audience like a fiddle.

Right? And then Kaufman bragging about being able to beat females made folks go bonkers. They played that southern audience like a fiddle.
Kaufman played the perfect heel ! He would beat up some woman in their town then trash talk the crowd until they were all throw crap at him. It was a brilliant way to revive his career.

Time will tell.

Does not seem like a lot of high profile guys and recruits want to call Dinkytown home. And GS was the recipient of some " good luck" when the sexual assault victim suddenly disappeared.

But hey, Iowa fans love Eggum in Mpls.

Not what happened. Gable was the beneficiary of a law that, basically, in Minnesota, if a victim willingly consumed alcohol or drugs, then the state couldn't argue lack of consent.

That loophole has since, been closed.

Not what happened. Gable was the beneficiary of a law that, basically, in Minnesota, if a victim willingly consumed alcohol or drugs, then the state couldn't argue lack of consent.

That loophole has since, been closed.
Doesn't change the fact that the allegation suddenly disappeared. Or that an assault may have occurred.

GS was extremely fortunate to have avoided legal fallout.
Extremely!

I guess the same could be said for Tom Brands...
And one more thing on the "disappearing" incident in Mpls...the other wrestler suddenly left town and was never heard from again.
Again, just coincidence I'm sure.

I get the same comment from friends and coworkers when I they find out I'm a fan of a college wrestling. I suppose people like what they like it.
Apples and oranges. Only one is actually a sport. My friends seem to be intrigued to find out I follow college wrestling.

Last edited:
Reactions: natchrlman
And one more thing on the "disappearing" incident in Mpls...the other wrestler suddenly left town and was never heard from again.
Again, just coincidence I'm sure.

Mitch, come on man! He didn't "disappear" - this is college wrestling.

Was Gable lucky? Sure. but it wasn't because of anything more nefarious than having a good attorney and an archaic law. Just saying - this isn't because the DA and some group of influential big money people decided it should go away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT