ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ****TE Erick All headed to Iowa****

Please, let this happen.

Very few things make me happier (from a football watching standpoint) than seeing Georgia, Michigan, Utah, the Ravens, the Niners…line up with 3 TE’s and just mash teams in the run game. Then the next play watching a TE blow by a LB for a big gain on play action.

If Iowa could put out 4 productive TE's who were solid all around TE's...paired with a solid OL....teams would struggle. Defenses are built to stop the spread....Not a good consistent power game.

I think we will be alright on the OL. We have been very, very young and some talented guys have gotten a lot of game reps and made plenty of mistakes.

I expect them to step up.
They’ll have to improve their foot speed. Unlikely.

Nice!

If Kirk can get us a WR and a couple of offensive linemen, then the Hawks will be the team to beat in the West next season!
Not sure we are too aggressive in the portal gor OL. Remember we had three spa's and a freshman playing. I think Proctor starting at right tackle would be very possible. To go with current starters. Read today that he will enroll in January. Hope he signs next week.

Improved QB - check
Experienced TE room - check
Offensive line play should improve - older, bigger, stronger and experience playing together.
WR - ?

Could really use Hausman at LBer. Great opportunity with Campbell and Benson graduating. Could start next year.

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
Not sure we are too aggressive in the portal gor OL. Remember we had three spa's and a freshman playing. I think Proctor starting at right tackle would be very possible. To go with current starters. Read today that he will enroll in January. Hope he signs next week.

Improved QB - check
Offensive line play should improve - older, bigger, stronger and experience playing together.
WR - ?

Could really use Hausman at LBer. Great opportunity with Campbell and Benson graduating. Could start next year.
Grandpa Gunners old moonshine:

TE room: question marks all around except for Lachey. Losing an absolute monster in Laporta.
Offensive line: WHO THE HELL KNOWS
WR: feeling great about Brecht and Vines being #1, #2 targets

After landing McNamara and Erick All, we are now ranked #2 in the country on a competitive site's Team Rankings for 2023 Transfer Team Ratings (Inbound). Who says we don't take advantage of the portal?
The 2022 Iowa football team is proof we didn’t take advantage of the portal. Cade and All are huge gets tho. Need at least three receivers now.

It just depends on whether All can be a downfield threat the way Fant and Hockenson were. Lachey and LaPorta have been good, but they didn't take the top off the same way.

(Few tight ends do; that's why those guys went in the 1st round.)
Agreed that Fant and Hockenson were unicorns to an extent. Fant especially. But Hockenson could really get downfield as well. Fant's sophomore year, where he averaged 16 yards a catch and 11 TD's, was really good. Found it interesting that Laporta and Lachey were really comparable to Fant and Hockenson in terms of yards per catch.

Fant was at 16 yards per catch in his great sophomore year, then about 14 his junior year.
Hockenson's career yards per catch was 14.8
Lachey's yards per catch so far is 15.0
Laporta was a bit over 11 yards per catch this year and for his career. Likely due to less WR options than Fant and Hockenson had.

But Lachey can really get downfield with his ability to run and his size.

Reactions: dbrocket
How many years does he have?
One site is showing 3 years of eligibility remaining. I'm assuming that includes a medical redshirt for this past season and a COVID year if he wants it. He played the full season in 2020 and 2021 and got hurt early in the 2022 season and only played in three games. He took a regular red shirt in 2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBHawk
excellent-happy.gif

Improved QB - check
WR - ?

To be fair, I said the exact same thing as you just typed above a year ago and we all know how that turned out. Certainly a cement shoed QB does that OL no favors along with airmailing easy passes yet the OL looked very lost a majority of year. They had flashes but most certainly I'm more worried about right side vs left side but KP is a Day 1 starter there.

Lock in a RG and get Logan Jones going along with a good TE room and an improved WR core and QB and we have some pieces to work with.

@Blair Sanderson How many years of eligibility will he have?
You have him for a year. He almost left, for the NFL, after last season. He chose to come back to elevate himself to a higher pick. It was a foregone conclusion that this was his last year until the injury. That is not speculation.

On top of that, he has a newborn child (born early September). NIL gives him a security blanket to recover and get back to full form (without risking not making a NFL roster because he is not 100% during camp) before he moves on with life.

After landing McNamara and Erick All, we are now ranked #2 in the country on a competitive site's Team Rankings for 2023 Transfer Team Ratings (Inbound). Who says we don't take advantage of the portal?
On3, which includes players in and players out in its portal rankings, has us at #19 with All's commitment. (Up from #30 yesterday).

Reactions: cmhawks99
Agreed that Fant and Hockenson were unicorns to an extent. Fant especially. But Hockenson could really get downfield as well. Fant's sophomore year, where he averaged 16 yards a catch and 11 TD's, was really good. Found it interesting that Laporta and Lachey were really comparable to Fant and Hockenson in terms of yards per catch.

Fant was at 16 yards per catch in his great sophomore year, then about 14 his junior year.
Hockenson's career yards per catch was 14.8
Lachey's yards per catch so far is 15.0
Laporta was a bit over 11 yards per catch this year and for his career. Likely due to less WR options than Fant and Hockenson had.

But Lachey can really get downfield with his ability to run and his size.
That's true, but I think they're making big plays in different ways. I could be wrong, but I think they're breaking more tackles for YAC. I don't feel like they just beat deep coverage as much as Fant and Hockenson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT