ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal is crazy

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
1450 have now entered the portal. 160 have selected a new destination. Slightly over 10%. How man young men will be left high and dry tjis year. You have to appreciate Higgins even more for staying the vourse and not transferring. What a terrific senior season. Too many kids are impatient. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.

1450 have now entered the portal. 160 have selected a new destination. Slightly over 10%. How man young men will be left high and dry tjis year. You have to appreciate Higgins even more for staying the vourse and not transferring. What a terrific senior season. Too many kids are impatient. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Kids have been impatient for thousands of years wanting to out on that hunt with a different group to kill that mammoth. Things dont change much

Reactions: amahawk
I feel like things will come full circle soon with the portal. Young players will realize that the portal isn't usually the dream scenario it seemed like when it was implemented. Most times, unless you're a star player, it might just be best to stick it out and be patient where you are. Obviously there are exceptions.

3087-himalayas.jpg

Or is it?

Some kids are wanting more playing time, some kids want a change of scenery or a different coach, some kids committed to schools that have now fired their coaches and some kids are looking for a pay day. I am sure there are many other reasons too. The point is there are a lot of reasons.

For the kids that have a reason other than getting paid, most if not all of those are not going to change the balance of power in college football. However, the ones that are doing it for the money absolutely can and therein lies your problem.

We can't fix the money situation, there will always be irrational rich people that want to spend their way to a championship. I think trying to police that would be a fool's errand, it would take A LOT of people and resources and it just isn't worth it. However, the one very very big weapon that can be used is eligibility. The NCAA still holds this power and should use it.

My proposal would be something like this:

- any player can transfer without penalty from a lower division to P5 and from P5 to a lower division.
- A player that is 1 year removed from high school will be able to transfer from P5 to P5 without penalty.
- A player that is 2 years removed from high school will be able to transfer from P5 to P5 but must sit out the first 6 games at the new school.
- A player that is 3 years or more removed from high school and wishes to transfer from P5 to P5 must sit out 1 year at the new school.
- Get rid of the graduate transfer option of being able to transfer with no penalty. Lump them in the same boat as those that are 3 years or more removed from school.

To me this does still provides flexibility for those that are looking for a better fit and playing time but slows down the pay-to-play players that are constantly shifting the competitive balance.

Musical chairs?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT