ADVERTISEMENT

****Truman St vs Iowa Game Thread****

Iowa gave up 70 against against Truman State is my only take away

Yes for Iowa. No, for 150 college basketball teams at the D1 level.
problem-problems.gif

Ball handling or something else? For us that didn’t see the game his stats look good.
Tony looked as good as a point guard can look in the first half. He gave up the ball without hesitation and played totally under control.

He picked his spots beautifully. He was the best Hawk on the floor the first half (could not watch second half due to prior commitments).

That being written, Tony has a high dribble and it is easy to wonder how he will handle full court, pressure defense from a team like Duke.

However, that starting lineup, scoring-wise, is going to be a lot of fun.

Way too early to make that judgement.
If Mulvey’s still on par with the walk-ons from a minutes/usage perspective by the end of the year, then I’d be shocked to see him return with Freeman coming in. His minutes tonight were a bit concerning

Trying to recall the last big man who ended up being a significant contributor under Fran without playing two years into college

Reactions: perryhawk
Ball handling or something else? For us that didn’t see the game his stats look good.
Bowen’s ball handling and quickness are something we’ve not had at Iowa in a long long time. He needs to finish smarter and better, but I like how he’s looking for the open man. Also made a nice midrange shot.

Dix looks very comfortable shooting. Wasn’t pressing but took open shots.

Just looking at the stats Pmac 1 rebound in 23 minutes.

Woof. I was hoping he'd work on his toughness in the off-season. This seems to be the missing piece to his puzzle. I feel like he's going to be another Uthoff. If Uthoff had a killer instinct he'd be in the league, but the dude seems allergic to contact.

A Brad Davison jersey is probably the most random thing I could’ve saw today.

Tony’s form has progressed consistently each year. Finished the year 9-16 and he looks even more confident with it. Don’t think Iowa will find themselves in a situation too much without at least one shooter at the 1 or 2.

Still want to see Kris diversify his moves a little bit besides the spin back to his left, but not needed given the opponent. His step back three and the poster dunk are the kind of plays that will reaffirm to himself that he’s a great player in his own right.

Dix will probably be my favorite bench sub this year. Didn’t switch off defensively off the ball and forced his guy to take tough shots on the ball. Really good at finding open spaces off the ball.

Bowen is further behind defensively. Got beat and had mental lapses. If Iowa is going to be a heavy switching team as they showed, he’s probably the poorest fit overall for that.

I don’t like how he plays Ogundele and Mulvey together at the end of games. Pretty much forced them to play zone and one guy has to play a spot he’ll never play in an actual game. It makes it really hard to take anything away defensively.

A title is possible and all criticisms going forward will reflect that expectation.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Y’all think the plan is for Tony to play the PG? I think he moves back to SG.
If I had to make a wager, he stays at point if Fran has his way. It's not because he's the best pure point guard. It's because it's the only way that Fran can get Sandfort into the starting lineup. If the time comes where Tony starts turning it over and Sandfort struggles too much guarding opponent's 2's then maybe Fran makes a change. I think on the latter Fran might think about having Kris guard the opposing 2. He probably has the lateral quickness to be more effective in that spot allowing Sandfort to drop down on the opposing 4.

Reactions: perryhawk
Games up on YouTube for those that want to see the game without paying BIG+
Is the 'Basketball Highlights' video the one you are talking about?

I'm good if its just a condensed scoring plays-only edit, as its only a bit shy of 24 minutes long.

How does Bowen look?
Very smooth with the ball, gets in the lane and creates but doesn't know what he can't do yet. Too nonchalant right now.

There will be a lot of growing pains while he figures out what not to do but ill bet he's the stater sooner than later and it will be nice to have a pg that can actually operate inside the 3 pt line let alone in the lane.

Impressed with Dix and Bowen. Kris is what we hoped he’d be. Josh O is going to help us this year. Not sold on Perkins at point. .
The Perkins at point thing won't last.

Not sure exactly whats going on there but he's obviously the 3rd best option there.

Tony looked as good as a point guard can look in the first half. He gave up the ball without hesitation and played totally under control.

He picked his spots beautifully. He was the best Hawk on the floor the first half (could not watch second half due to prior commitments).

That being written, Tony has a high dribble and it is easy to wonder how he will handle full court, pressure defense from a team like Duke.

However, that starting lineup, scoring-wise, is going to be a lot of fun.
He got his pocket picked.

I love Toney but no chance hes the starting pg in December.

Frans playing some kind of motivational game between the two pgs IMO.

I just watched that highlight video, so all opinions can be taken with a grain of salt but:

-Rebraca looked much more decisive with the ball in his hands
-Sandfort is going to have a great opportunity to get a ton of different looks with his size and shooting ability. He can drive on taller/slower defenders, and shoot over anybody else
-Patrick’s effort was bad. He took low percentage shots instead of shots within the flow of the offense and was always out of position or slow on defense (he was playing much better than this at the end of last year, which is why I’m confident it was an effort thing)
-Prediction: Bowen will become regarded as the best passer to play for Fran. His court awareness is off the charts and 8 assists to 0 turnovers is no joke. Easy to see why Fran loves him. He’s not in the same league as Ulis defensively yet, so it’ll be interesting to see how Fran manages their minutes off the bench
-Perkins/Murray looked as good as advertised. Murray’s dunk and Perkins’ subsequent tech was awesome lol
-Good to see Connor shooting with confidence and making threes
-Dix has a sweet looking stroke
-More of the same from Big O/Mulvey… Josh scored some which is good, but he was able to bully the defenders on pretty much every bucket

Couple other things:
-It was cool hearing Settles get fired up about Carter knocking down some threes - you know he was pumped for the Kingsbury’s
-I wish Eldridge’s kid was a couple inches taller - he looks like he’s got some game. His step through in transition was nice and so was his jumper

Probably some overreactions here, but it’s great to have Hawkeye hoops back!

If I had to make a wager, he stays at point if Fran has his way. It's not because he's the best pure point guard. It's because it's the only way that Fran can get Sandfort into the starting lineup. If the time comes where Tony starts turning it over and Sandfort struggles too much guarding opponent's 2's then maybe Fran makes a change. I think on the latter Fran might think about having Kris guard the opposing 2. He probably has the lateral quickness to be more effective in that spot allowing Sandfort to drop down on the opposing 4.
With as much switching as they were doing it doesn't matter.

Very nice.

Didn't someone say that Louisville lost their exhib. game??

How bad do you gotta be to not blow out - or even worse, lose to! - a D2 team on your home floor!?
A lot of coaches don't care about winning or losing an exhibition. Means nothing.

PMAC stands and watches a lot instead of mixing it up in scrums. Completely opposite
of CMAC who gets in the mix and fights for rebounds/plays hard on defense.
So you're saying his record setting low fouls per minute isn't the result of playing really good positional basketball?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT