ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Did Iowa beat Clown U or did Clown U beat itself (which is a FACT per some Clown fans)?

Did Iowa beat Clown U or did Clown U beat itself (which is a FACT per some Clown fans)?

• I am an Iowa fan. Iowa showed it was the better team & simply won the game.

• I am NOT an Iowa fan. Iowa showed it was the better team & simply won the game.

• I am an Iowa fan. Clown U was the better team. Iowa only won the game because Clown U beat itself

• I am NOT an Iowa fan. Clown U was the better team&Iowa only won the game because Clown U beat itself

• I am an Iowa fan. The teams were very even. The Hawkeyes played a MUCH cleaner game

• I am NOT an Iowa fan. The teams were very even. The Hawkeyes played a MUCH cleaner game

Results are only viewable after voting.
You're never seen a sporting event where one team clearly comes out more fired up and plays harder? ...or heard players and/or coaches say "They just wanted it more"? Interesting.

Of course I have, although I can't ever recall a player or coach publicly admitting the other team tried harder.

Not the point.

Of course I have, although I can't ever recall a player or coach publicly admitting the other team tried harder.

Not the point.

Then what is the point? IMHO, that's entirely the point. Sometimes Team A comes into a game more motivated and driven than Team B. This can be for a variety of factors. Often times it's a perceived underdog who's driven by the desire to gain respect or beat a team or school that many people see them as inferior to. (sound familiar?).

One can certainly debate how often or how much it plays a factor in the Iowa-ISU series but it most definitely has. Many players have said as much.

You've honestly never heard a player interviewed after a game same something like "they just wanted it more than we did"? I have.

Last edited:
Fact is Iowa didn't turn the ball over, ISU did. They were sloppy

Then what is the point? IMHO, that's entirely the point. Sometimes Team A comes into a game more motivated and driven than Team B. This can be for a variety of factors. Often times it's a perceived underdog who's driven by the desire to gain respect or beat a team or school that many people see them as inferior to. (sound familiar?).

One can certainly debate how often or how much it plays a factor in the Iowa-ISU series but it most definitely has. Many players have said as much.

You've honestly never heard a player interviewed after a game same something like "they just wanted it more than we did"? I have.

My point is that should be obsolete in a rivalry game when you see the same opponent every year.

It's also a poor excuse. Vastly superior teams do not lose to teams like that. Yes, once in a blue moon Appalachian St vs Michigan happens. The problem is mediocre Iowa State teams have beaten Ferentz-led Iowa teams on multiple occasions. In fact, Iowa State has had two two-win teams (2007 & 2014) beat Iowa.

The whole "Super Bowl theory" goes out the window with that. The fact is those years Iowa State won Iowa was either vastly overrated or just so-so. Outside of that flukey 2002 game, Iowa State has never beaten an 8-win or better Iowa team during the Ferentz era. Never.

In short, when Iowa has been good, they've handily taken care of Iowa State.

Good teams find ways to win when not playing their best. Winners talk, losers walk.

We still seem to not have the 3 man front quite figured out. I think some of the teams in their league will figure it out this year. One way I think would be helpful is to widen out the lineman splits when facing that so that the LB angles mean that they can’t help off of their gap so much. We had generally good blocking in the run game Saturday and yet our yardage per play was kinda bad.

Along with 11 personnel in the shotgun, kind of an ole Mizzou setup, it would be hard for them to stop and I think they would have to take out a DB. I’m guessing Texas, Oklahoma St, Oklahoma, and TCU will do that to them and crush them. They’re especially dead if they have a good QB run game, which all of the above do a good job of. I’m thinking they go 7-5.

I went back and watched the game a couple times keying in on certain players and to ISU fans surprise, Purdy didn't play a great game... not to mention that fumble, but he made a lot of other crucial mistakes, like for their drive of their go-ahead FG to go up 17-15, he missed a wide open TE in the back of the endzone that he should've hit for a TD.... and their final drive on 2nd and 8, he made a huge mistake when he slipped and fell for a lost of 5-6 yards that cost them FG range and not to mention that 4th down play where he had no pressure on him at all thanks to his O-line, but still rushed a throw to absolutely no one

Purdy only accounted for 1 TD and quite honestly, that was due to the OC coming up with a great play design to confuse the secondary and get their WR wide-open.... other than that, what did Purdy actually do to try to win the game?

I said it yesterday, Stanley was the better QB. From about midway through third quarter to end of game, Purdy wasn't that good. Nate was consistent throughout.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I said it yesterday, Stanley was the better QB. From about midway through third quarter to end of game, Purdy wasn't that good. Nate was consistent throughout.

Yep and that was the difference.... Stanley pulled thru when the team needed him on the 3rd and 22 and 3rd and 11 conversions while Purdy sailed a TD over his TE's head and slip and fell losing 5 yards on their last drive

Fact is Iowa didn't turn the ball over, ISU did. They were sloppy

Correct. Both offenses and defenses were pretty even. Difference in game was 2 things. Turnovers and Iowa dominated in the 3rd phase of the game with our special teams. Duncan 4 for 4 on bad field conditions. Sleep-Dalton booming punts all day. Our lone TD set up on great kickoff coverage with a penalty by ISU having them start inside their 10 with a 3 and out. They followed it up with a poor line drive punt and Nico had a good 15 yard return to set up the drive at the 25. And lastly we can't forget the botched punt return that will live in infamy of the Iowa-ISU series.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I am just happy that there were no major injuries. I do believe It has been pointed out that Phil P. made some half time adjustments that led to a major reduction in yards per play. I did like the Death glare from Campbell to the Iowa bench To me shows ISU coach still has some growing to do as Iowa coaches were busy making adjustments and coaching instead of wasting game time. I will make the game next year but on the Ames experience I will pass. GO HAWKS

So, you agree with Lone Clone in that Clown U is the better team? :)

I don't see in his post where he said they were the better team.

@Lone Clone, we await your answer.

We know you were a Gazette editor so we consider you objective & an expert! ;)

For the record, in your uniquely EXPERT opinion, which team is better? Iowa or Clown U?

Again, if you don't reply, we will KNOW that I was right and that you feel Clown U is the better team and that it is a fact that Clown U simply beat itself on Saturday.

Last edited:
Clone fans will point to total yards like Debbie fans did a few years ago. Yards dont win games. They had one redzone opportunity and came away with 3 points. Iowa's defensive design is to make them drive the field to score points. Well, they drove the field, and didnt score points. One possession in the redzone compared to 5 for Iowa. We left a lot more points on the field than they did. Great game plan and when it mattered, they couldnt finish and we could. Pretty simple, Iowa strategy was better and Iowa executed better.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
They sure looked like the better team at times and had the bigger editing plays. I don't think there is anyone that was feeling good as a Hawkeye fan punting to them with over a minute to go. Inside thought our player going out of bounds prior to the point cost us the game.

Iowa won the game rather than ISU lost it. There was no guarantee ISU would have won the game even if they hadn't botched the punt. They still needed to score and Iowa's D had held ISU scoreless for about 28 straight minutes at the time of the fumble.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Very close game that likely would have favored the Cyclones had they been able to play mistake free....

Hawkeye Fan

Let’s decide at years end who is the best team. The poll’s will tell. Why do they play these games?
ISU lucky that UNI didn’t beat them.

Orrrrrrrrr. Iowa plays mistake free, and it’s at least 18-3;)

Our mistakes were pretty minor compared to theirs,... The Cyclones played well but phucked things up even better than they played....

Our mistakes were pretty minor compared to theirs,... The Cyclones played well but phucked things up even better than they played....
Two of ours led to 14 points. How many points did their mistakes lead to?

Last edited:
Both. But we won and that is all that matters. Now our players build from this game.
With some personnel deficiencies that Iowa had on D ... for much of the game, ISU's O looked like the better unit compared to our D.

However, very little of this changes the fact that Iowa converted on 3rd down at a winning rate ... and that was even with us squandering something like 3 3rd and shorts. Nor does it change the fact that Iowa's O was able to completely own the clock. Also, Iowa's special teams played, overall, better than their ISU counterpart.

By my tally, in terms of match-ups ... Iowa owned the advantage in 2 of the 3 match-ups.

Of course, were I an ISU fan ... the muffed punt would lead me to contemplate what-if scenarios. However, they didn't give away the Purdy fumble ... Geno forced that and it definitely was a huge play.

False-starts were called on both teams ... but obviously ISU had one at a particularly inopportune time. However, that's also the same type of mistake (stupid, preventable mental error) that ISU exploited against Iowa's inexperienced secondary to net 2 big-play TDs. You cannot have it both ways.

I'd say that the match-up pitted pretty evenly matched teams ... in an environment that strongly favored one of them (ISU). Iowa won the game ...

Anyhow, how can an Iowa fan NOT understand the pain of ISU after the Wisconsin game last year. Iowa was owning that game and 2 unforced turnovers later Wisky is back in the game and owning the momentum. It almost makes me vomit just recalling how things played out.

Reactions: Eternal Return
How about in the last 10 years when a team had the disparity of yards per play that the hawks had on Sat, they had won 1 game in 499 attempts. Big10 officials decided to make it 2 in 500. For you math challenged fans, that is a .4% chance of winning when getting whipped at the rate the hawks got.
Taking the loss tough, huh.

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
Not getting beat on both sides of the ball like they did against ISU. The nation saw how dominant the Clones were on Sat only to lose on the phantom call. B10 conference came to the rescue.
Well you have it all figured out. So then does that make UNI Top 15?

To those ISU fans that think they were the better team and beat them themselves, I would have voted for this choice, but it wasn't offered:

I am an Iowa fan. Iowa showed it was the better team and won the game despite almost beating themselves.

Isu fan, but overall Iowa beat ISU. Difference in the game was special teams, but that is part of team. That disparity overwhelmed any difference on O or D.

how can a team think they are better when they had 2 weeks to prepare, it was a home game, and hte visitors were missing two defensive backs starter of which you scored your only touchdowns, and still lost? Everything was in you favor other than you werent as good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT