ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2017-18 Season

Iowa Star Megan Gustafson Goes Big Time From Small-Town Beginnings

Iowa's Megan Gustafson has risen from a small high school to one of the nation's best players.

“Going into my final year, I am going to try to extend my range a little more – maybe a 3-point shot. I will have to talk to my coaches and evaluate that. If not 3-point shooting, maybe at least extend my outside shooting more. Last year compare

https://m.herosports.com/womens-bas...ce=Twitter&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=D1WBB

Iowa Star Megan Gustafson Goes Big Time From Small-Town Beginnings

Iowa's Megan Gustafson has risen from a small high school to one of the nation's best players.

“Going into my final year, I am going to try to extend my range a little more – maybe a 3-point shot. I will have to talk to my coaches and evaluate that. If not 3-point shooting, maybe at least extend my outside shooting more. Last year compare

https://m.herosports.com/womens-bas...ce=Twitter&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=D1WBB
I like that Megan is looking to extend her range. I can see that she’s already been working on that this season, although not as successful as I’m sure she would like to be in making those shots - or even as much as we’d like. By this point I’m so sure that every shot Megan takes will go in, I’m almost always shocked when it doesn’t - even her outside shots. She’s also been driving to the basket when playing the high post position if no one is open low, although she hasn’t completed those drives consistently yet. If she can add a consistent outside shot to her game as well as a drive to the basket where she actually makes the shot, she will be completely unstoppable offensively.

Megan is deadly on the 10-12 foot jumper. The pass to her in the lane is Iowa's best out-of-bounds play. I saw Amy Herrig hit a three on Senior Day. Megan has to get one. She tried a desperation three once but didn't hit.

Megan is deadly on the 10-12 foot jumper. The pass to her in the lane is Iowa's best out-of-bounds play. I saw Amy Herrig hit a three on Senior Day. Megan has to get one. She tried a desperation three once but didn't hit.
That inbounds play is definitely one where her shot is deadly. I love that play. But she’s tried some out around the free throw line that haven’t been successful. I’m always surprised when the shot doesn’t go in because she’s a great FT shooter.

That inbounds play is definitely one where her shot is deadly. I love that play. But she’s tried some out around the free throw line that haven’t been successful. I’m always surprised when the shot doesn’t go in because she’s a great FT shooter.
I still want to see her get a defensive rebound and take it coast-to-coast. I have seen a couple times where she gets a rebound and dribbles to about mid-court and then this "what the hell am I doing?" smile crosses her face, and she passes.

Do they announce the conference awards today?

I still want to see her get a defensive rebound and take it coast-to-coast. I have seen a couple times where she gets a rebound and dribbles to about mid-court and then this "what the hell am I doing?" smile crosses her face, and she passes.

Do they announce the conference awards today?
I think I heard awards come out at either 3:30 or 4:30 today. At least one should be a known, but as Lisa has pointed out, she is afraid they will look POY in career sense and not a season sense

I think I heard awards come out at either 3:30 or 4:30 today. At least one should be a known, but as Lisa has pointed out, she is afraid they will look POY in career sense and not a season sense
3:30 p.m. CT on BTN - almost time! I am hopeful. Not happy Megan wasn’t named as a Naismith award finalist today.

Shocked. Truly shocked. Media gave Megan BTPOY award but the coaches didn’t. Coaches picked Mitchell.

Megan played on a team that had only Kathleen Doyle as a second teamer on one and Honorable Mention on another while ALL 5 Ohio State players were on the top two teams. How could you not vote for Megan when she IS the Iowa team and has little support while Mitchell has 4 very good players around her. This is a bull shit vote by the Big 10 coaches and Lisa should be pissed and not vote for the coaches players who did this in the future.
Megan didn't make the all defense team either. Total BS. Lisa should be ashamed for how her player was treated.

Megan played on a team that had only Kathleen Doyle as a second teamer on one and Honorable Mention on another while ALL 5 Ohio State players were on the top two teams. How could you not vote for Megan when she IS the Iowa team and has little support while Mitchell has 4 very good players around her. This is a bull shit vote by the Big 10 coaches and Lisa should be pissed and not vote for the coaches players who did this in the future.
Megan didn't make the all defense team either. Total BS. Lisa should be ashamed for how her player was treated.
And to think that Lisa was more worried about how the media would vote than the coaches! Clearly a career/respect vote by the coaches for Mitchell and not a player of the year vote.

Reactions: INXS83
Naturally the vote is secret so that the public is not told what the vote count was or who voted for whom. I would certainly like to know that. Surely though, the coaches would never put personal feelings for a particular player (or team) over their professional opinions, would they?

Reactions: hawkahawk
That's too bad for Megan. I can't think of one player you would game plan more for on a team in the Big Ten. She is double & triple teamed and still leads the league in numerous categories. Not to mention, you smash the record for player of the week in the Big Ten. I would have thought that those things would make her a lock for the award, but like too many awards it's usually about something else too (team, career, etc).

Reactions: hawkahawk
Megan #1 player in the country. Mitchell #79.
One has to fight through double and triple teams for every point. the other has the ball in her hands constantly and has the green light to shoot all she wants. The coaches were lazy and didn't do their homework.
https://natstat.com/wbb/pcr
It’s a shame she also didn’t make the list of finalists for the Naismith POTY award. Mitchell did.

Naturally the vote is secret so that the public is not told what the vote count was or who voted for whom. I would certainly like to know that. Surely though, the coaches would never put personal feelings for a particular player (or team) over their professional opinions, would they?
Would LOVE to know how the coaches voted. Not because I want to criticize their selection, but because I would like to know why they chose the player they did. Did McGuff choose Mitchell, and did Barnes Arico chose Flaherty? Pretty sure Bluder chose Gustafson, so what about the other eleven coaches? It could have come down to one vote for all we know. I would love for a reporter to ask a couple of the coaches about their votes during the B1G tourney this week. Just so, so glad the media voters did the right thing.

Mitchell was a vote for a career, not for this year. It is supposed to be Player of the Year. Mitchell has had a fantastic career. But this year Megan was better. At least the award was split. Not getting named to the final ten for the Naismith is a farce. Do they not look at the games? They have their preseason darlings and vote for them no matter what happens on the court.
ESPN's bracketology is a case in point. A 9 loss Stanford team, that didn't win the PAC 12, is given the same seed (4) as Ohio State, who did win the B1G. And, oh by the way, they beat Stanford. TWICE. More bias.

I have a difficult time with OSU hiring Mitchell's dad as an assistant coach. I think this is the same as paying for a recruit. I know it's not illegal and I know it has happened before at other schools but I don't like it . It should not be allowed by the NCAA.
I wonder how many years more Mr. Mitchell will be on the bench at OSU since his daughter is through.
I'd also like to know the full story how Muvunga transferred in to OSU.

Mitchell's reaction to splitting the awards with MG was very classy:
From the Columbus Dispatch:

Part of Mitchell’s surprise Monday stems from her respect for Gustafson, who leads the nation in scoring with 25.3 points per game. Gustafson scored 29 points in Iowa’s 103-89 win over Ohio State on Jan. 25.

“Everyone was talking about the kid from Iowa (Gustafson), and I didn’t know how great she was until we played against them,” Mitchell said. “I don’t go look at numbers of other players, but of course you hear a lot of talk about, ‘Man, the kid from Iowa is really good.’ Once I played her, I was like, ‘She is amazing.’ ”

I have a difficult time with OSU hiring Mitchell's dad as an assistant coach. I think this is the same as paying for a recruit. I know it's not illegal and I know it has happened before at other schools but I don't like it . It should not be allowed by the NCAA.
I wonder how many years more Mr. Mitchell will be on the bench at OSU since his daughter is through.
Mark Mitchell let it be known whichever school gave him a job would get his daughters Kelsey and Chelsea. I think there is some sort of rule now about when it can be done, it might be only on the men's side though not sure. His last daughter took a redshirt so she has one year left & doesn't see the court at all. He probably has another year minimum due to her being around, their recruiting has struggled too so that will likely be the reason given for any change being made.

Mavunga was part of North Carolina's top rated recruiting class which all transferred when allegations of academic fraud heated up. She is from Indiana & considered OSU out of high school.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't ex-Hawk Krystal Smith's father Michael Morgan, and wasn't he on our staff while Krystal was in school?

I think the rule only applies to men's basketball. Mizzou offered a job to Elle Brown's father. He had worked at Drake. She signed with Mizzou. KState hired Chris Carr as an assistant while recruting his daughter Christianna. Christianna signed with K-State. I believe Iowa was recruiting both of them.

Michael Morgan was on staff when Crystal Smith was recruited and had been for some time. Crystal was not a high profile recruit, but developed into an amazing player.

Reactions: gageboy
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't ex-Hawk Krystal Smith's father Michael Morgan, and wasn't he on our staff while Krystal was in school?
Michael Morgan was Coach Bluder's assistant on Day 1 of her tenure at Iowa, if I remember correctly. He might even have helped her run the summer league in Des Moines for the Drake players.

Reactions: JAMAM
Are they doing this for free? Seems they should. I pay the $10 per month to watch the women’s games, but in this situation, seems like they ought to offer it for free.
It looks like it’s free - on BTN2GO rather than +. Just sucks that both teams play at the same time, though.

It looks like it’s free - on BTN2GO rather than +. Just sucks that both teams play at the same time, though.
As @mphawk mentioned, you do have to register/verify through a participating cable or satellite provider to get the game for free through BTN2GO. I also believe that someone on this forum posts a link to free streaming, but I’ve never checked it out.

Sure would be nice if the BTN had alternate stations, like 405-2 and 405-3 etc. that they could use in situations like this. (is there a sarcastic button?)

Reactions: JAMAM
TV today
Directv channel 634 Madison Square Garden TV, 662 Sports Ohio.
640 MASN, 668 Fox Sports North, 669 FSWI,

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT