ADVERTISEMENT

Where Can You Live on Minimum Wage?

Minimum wage is meant for jobs to be held by students or those getting their first job experience, usually while living with parents.
Tell that to those trying to live on minimum wage who don't fall into those categories.

Not that such wages are justified even if they are limited to those folks, but they aren't just limited to those folks.

When you worked (assuming you ever actually held a job) what was your occupation?

Reactions: BrianNole09
Yeah, and I lived in condemned housing as an undergrad. So what.

It's fun to live in ghetto conditions for a brief interval when you know you are just "passing through."

It's disgusting to argue that that's how people ought to live, just because you spent a little while slumming it and you survived or didn't find it too hard.
I didn't argue that's how people should live. I argued that it's possible, and they should be 'just passing through.' I didn't have to be 'just passing through,' I could have opted to stay in that situation, but you know what I did? I went out and found a $10/hour sales job with a commission if I sold something. Then I kept working and a little later on I wasn't hourly anymore, and on and on. We should be encouraging these people to move up in the world, not arguing that they should stay exactly where they are and that we'll force the minimum wage and in turn consumer prices much higher.

Or we can adopt a defeatist attitude of "I can't but you can." No Thank you.

Forest City is actually pretty nice, as are the surrounding towns. No real "ghetto" in any of the area towns. In fact, I just pulled up Winnebago's job openings, and see that they are hiring production line workers on at a starting wage of $13.70 and welders at $15.15. Not probably the easiest work, but it certainly would pay the bills and then some.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT