ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting

JohnBasedow

HR Legend
Jul 6, 2006
It's about time for recruiting season to heat up so I was hoping that there might be some information out there. Some targets who have been discussed are Sasso, Hidlay, Teske, Rocky Jordan and Silva. Another name I haven't seen mentioned with Iowa is Gavin Hoffman who would fit well at HWT especially now that PSU is off the table.

Sasso: 149/157
Hidlay: 174/184
Teske: 133
Jordan: 149-165
Silva: 133
Hoffman: 197/HWT

Anyone know who seems likely or have some info available on who the top targets are?

Reactions: andegre
**Brands
Will Lewan - 149/157
Mason Parris -HWT

Wildcard - Joel Shapiro - 184 ??

Good call on Nelson. He is going to be a beast. It will be interesting to see what weight he slots in at.

I'd like to get Silva, Hidlay, and Jordan in addition to Brands.

The next year I'd like to get Schultz, Matt Olguin from Buchanan (Silva may grow into a 141 and it'd help get us a CA pipeline), Julian Rameriz, and some depth.

Reactions: ILhawk41

The next year I'd like to get Schultz, Matt Olguin from Buchanan (Silva may grow into a 141 and it'd help get us a CA pipeline), Julian Rameriz, and some depth.

How does a kid from Florida help with a CA pipeline, or are we talking about a different Silva?

Reactions: DirkTang1

I would be down with this too! I was just saying in the Thompsen thread that Silva is #1 on my wishlist, I like Hidlay and Jordan too but just don't see them coming here with such strong ties to other schools.

What do any of you guys know about Frankie Gissendanner? He hasn't verballed yet that I know of and I haven't seen any recruiting info on him anywhere. I think he would project into 149/157 like Sasso, seems like a good smart kid and he is tough.

**Brands
Will Lewan - 149/157
Mason Parris -HWT

Wildcard - Joel Shapiro - 184 ??

Not sure on Lewan. He seemed like a slower footed nothing really sticks out kind of a kid in matches I have seen. Very plain. Not real explosive.

Here's my top 10 list:

1. Gavin Hoffman: Don't like our chances with him but I would really like him!
2a. Joey Silva: Don't like our chances here either
2b. Sammy Sasso: At times I think he is ours to lose then other times not so much its hard to say what is going to happen here.
4. Trent Hidlay: I actually feel good about the chances he is a Hawk.
5. Patrick Glory: I would actually put him higher but we need BIG kids more
6. Brody Teske: Gut feeling tells me he ends up at isu
7. Mason Parris: Better chance at him than Hoffman but still not good
8. Anthony Montalvo: Under the radar type kid that has a very high ceiling
9. Will Lewan: Depends on Lugo and where Nelson fits in but could use him for sure
10. Bryce Esmoil: Little bit of a homer pic here I know but He is pretty good. :)

So would you prefer we land Mason Parris or Colton Schultz? Presuming both are options, of course, since Parris may go the football route.

Why negative on Hoffman? Outside of PSU, I feel his options are open. I haven't heard that anyone has been ruled out, though I agree Iowa may not be in the lead considering distance from home.

It seems he may want to stick it to PSU and what better place to do that than Iowa. ;)
I don't know about Gavin, but his dad may. I cringe when parents go postal. A bad look all around. Different circumstances, but I respect PBS for going underground for awhile and not getting suckered into a losing battle on the internet. Move on and live for another day.

Last edited:
It seems he may want to stick it to PSU and what better place to do that than Iowa. ;)
That might be a considerable over-interpretation. Gavin's only public comment has been "God has a plan." That seems more sad and disappointed than angry or vengeful.

His father is the one who tweeted about clearing the house of PSU stuff and selling tickets -- which could just be his way of removing PSU from Gavin's mind ... well, as much as possible for someone who lives as hour away. (Though Mr. Hoffman also tweeted at a local reporter about Beard ducking Gavin, so the father might be a little tightly wound.)

About a month ago word was Gavin was down to PSU, Cornell, and Virginia. Maybe that'll expand, but I'll be surprised if he moves as far as Iowa. With Garrett at Bucknell (20 min from home), Gavin will likely go somewhere where the family can see both of them wrestle. Never say never, but I wouldn't get too excited.

One exception: if there's a farther from home wild card, don't rule out Stanford. There is a connection -- a very prominent alum lives in Montoursville and coaches at MHS. And Gavin is smart enough to go there.

Reactions: Hotshoe
That might be a considerable over-interpretation. Gavin's only public comment has been "God has a plan." That seems more sad and disappointed than angry or vengeful.

His father is the one who tweeted about clearing the house of PSU stuff and selling tickets -- which could just be his way of removing PSU from Gavin's mind ... well, as much as possible for someone who lives as hour away. (Though Mr. Hoffman also tweeted at a local reporter about Beard ducking Gavin, so the father might be a little tightly wound.)

About a month ago word was Gavin was down to PSU, Cornell, and Virginia. Maybe that'll expand, but I'll be surprised if he moves as far as Iowa. With Garrett at Bucknell (20 min from home), Gavin will likely go somewhere where the family can see both of them wrestle. Never say never, but I wouldn't get too excited.

One exception: if there's a farther from home wild card, don't rule out Stanford. There is a connection -- a very prominent alum lives in Montoursville and coaches at MHS. And Gavin is smart enough to go there.
I think you took Johns comment too literally.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
I look at our line up and I think we need a 133, 141, 149, 174/84, and HWT in the future. As a result, Silva, Olguin, Schultz, Rameriz, Hidlay, and Jordan (as an F you to Tom Ryan).

Here's my top 10 list:

1. Gavin Hoffman: Don't like our chances with him but I would really like him!
2a. Joey Silva: Don't like our chances here either
2b. Sammy Sasso: At times I think he is ours to lose then other times not so much its hard to say what is going to happen here.
4. Trent Hidlay: I actually feel good about the chances he is a Hawk.
5. Patrick Glory: I would actually put him higher but we need BIG kids more
6. Brody Teske: Gut feeling tells me he ends up at isu
7. Mason Parris: Better chance at him than Hoffman but still not good
8. Anthony Montalvo: Under the radar type kid that has a very high ceiling
9. Will Lewan: Depends on Lugo and where Nelson fits in but could use him for sure
10. Bryce Esmoil: Little bit of a homer pic here I know but He is pretty good. :)

Not especially excited about this. Poor or iffy outlook on most of the ones who will make a difference.

Reactions: Fan In Black

Just having some fun, but I appreciate the info. He will be a good one no matter what.

Just having some fun, but I appreciate the info. He will be a good one no matter what.
Yeah, I've been watching him for a while. No complaints about landing Beard, though losing Hoffman hurts. (Especially because he's from my home part of the state. Always gotta root for those guys, right?) He's gonna be real good for somebody.

He was always athletic and a good prospect, but a switch went on last year, and another one this year. Picks up new moves very quickly, and seeks out the best competition -- seemingly in every offseason event (offhand went to Disney, Fargo, Super 32, NHSCA nationals, and Flonats). Real smart, motivated, coachable kid.

PS, I've seen enough east coast late night infomercials to remember your handle. Dude cracked me up.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
Yeah, I've been watching him for a while. No complaints about landing Beard, though losing Hoffman hurts. (Especially because he's from my home part of the state. Always gotta root for those guys, right?) He's gonna be real good for somebody.

He was always athletic and a good prospect, but a switch went on last year, and another one this year. Picks up new moves very quickly, and seeks out the best competition -- seemingly in every offseason event (offhand went to Disney, Fargo, Super 32, NHSCA nationals, and Flonats). Real smart, motivated, coachable kid.

PS, I've seen enough east coast late night infomercials to remember your handle. Dude cracked me up.

Haha yeah I have had the username since those were on (spoiler alert, I'm not THE JohnBasedow). What are your thoughts on Gavin's weight? Will he end up at 197 or HWT?

Haha yeah I have had the username since those were on (spoiler alert, I'm not THE JohnBasedow). What are your thoughts on Gavin's weight? Will he end up at 197 or HWT?
I think he's much better suited to 197. But maybe he goes HWT depending on the school he chooses. If so then he'll be a lighter guy who targets 97 kg freestyle. I don't see him as a full-blown 250+ lb guy. He's very athletic and it would be a shame to see him add so much weight that he bulks out of his athletic ability. Even going up to 220 might risk some of that ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: dicemen99 and Wink8
At the end of FRL Willie dropped that he heard Joey Silva is down to Michigan and UNC. CP was shocked and said "no Iowa" and Willie replied that's just what I heard.

At the end of FRL Willie dropped that he heard Joey Silva is down to Michigan and UNC. CP was shocked and said "no Iowa" and Willie replied that's just what I heard.

Booo! Can't understand why the best 133ers in the country wouldn't have Iowa high on their list. Cory Clark was in the 20s in his HS class, came to Iowa and left a 4x AA, 3x finalist, and NCAA champion. Who doesn't want that kind of resume leaving college?

Booo! Can't understand why the best 133ers in the country wouldn't have Iowa high on their list. Cory Clark was in the 20s in his HS class, came to Iowa and left a 4x AA, 3x finalist, and NCAA champion. Who doesn't want that kind of resume leaving college?
I think the largest problem may be that Iowa thought they had there man in Teasdale. Nowthey are late to the party on all the other top recruits at 133 and Nobody enjoys being the backup plan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT