ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Roster

Big improvement for sure, but let’s pump the brakes a bit. PSU is trotting out

125- They could go with Kurt McHenry or Robert Howard. Apparently Davis is too big for the weight. Luke Lilledahl is waiting in the wings as well.
133- Aaron Nagao or Davis
141- Beau Bartlett
149- Shayne Van Ness
157- Tyler Kasak or Joe Sealey
165- Mitchell Messenbrink or Alex Facundo
174- Levi Haines
184- Carter Starocci
197- Connor Mirasola
Hwt-Greg Kerkvliet

I mean good lord that’s a squad. Loads of depth and multiple really good options at most of their weights. I think the dual meet is a lot closer than last year, but PSU is still winning the National tournament by 20+ points.
I'd be surprised if Lilledahl wasn't the starter. Didn't Howard retire? Either way, neither he or McHenry have been any good in college.

I'd also move Facundo to 174 with Haines. He beat Haines solidly at OTT. Haines has a redshirt, so he they could sit him if he is really moving up to 174. I wouldn't be surprised to see Facundo start the year until they decide. Could be wrong, though.

I'd be surprised if Lilledahl wasn't the starter. Didn't Howard retire? Either way, neither he or McHenry have been any good in college.

I'd also move Facundo to 174 with Haines. He beat Haines solidly at OTT. Haines has a redshirt, so he they could sit him if he is really moving up to 174. I wouldn't be surprised to see Facundo start the year until they decide. Could be wrong, though.

Haines will start in shirt.

The weight cut showed up with Drake once and a while during the regular season last year. He seemed to have it figured out by March, but it had to be tough on him. I think his tank will be great at 133. I bet less than 3 percent of the male population weighs under 130 in the 20-24 year old range. 125lbers are ridiculously hard to find at the college level.

It's a stupid weight class. They should add +5 to it. I wouldn't "rename" the weight class for just history sake.

Reactions: blcoach80

125- They could go with Kurt McHenry or Robert Howard. Apparently Davis is too big for the weight. Luke Lilledahl is waiting in the wings as well.
141- Beau Bartlett
149- Shayne Van Ness
174- Levi Haines
184- Carter Starocci
197- Connor Mirasola
Hwt-Greg Kerkvliet

I mean good lord that’s a squad. Loads of depth and multiple really good options at most of their weights. I think the dual meet is a lot closer than last year, but PSU is still winning the National tournament by 20+ points.
SoCal I like you most of the time, but man can you stop messing with my buzz!!!

Certainly not negative. Okie St is doing great things as well, but I’m picking Iowa as a strong 2nd. PSU just has so many options. Everything for Iowa has to break perfectly and PSU has to have a lot go wrong for it to be close. I hope I’m wrong.
Block, Cali, Brands and Keuter are definite underdogs without injuries or lineup changes playing into it. Not definite but favored would be Ayala, Teemer and Buchanan. The head to head meet in happy valley could be close with an upset by one of the Hawks and will tell us alot for our chances at Bigs and Nattys.

141- Beau Bartlett
149- Shayne Van Ness
174- Levi Haines
184- Carter Starocci
197- Connor Mirasola
Hwt-Greg Kerkvliet

I think we see Lilledahl at 125 not sure how many years he can hold the weight.
174 Facundo will be the guy at the start with Haines in RS
197 Barr or Cochrane will be the guy it's sounding like

Block, Cali, Brands and Keuter are definite underdogs without injuries or lineup changes playing into it. Not definite but favored would be Ayala, Teemer and Buchanan. The head to head meet in happy valley could be close with an upset by one of the Hawks and will tell us alot for our chances at Bigs and Nattys.
Now just keep Angel Rivera away from the meet and maybe there's a punchers chance.

Could Ybarra get down to 125 and battle with Cruz for the starting spot? He had some really good wins in HS. Someone mentioned Kale Petersen could possibly go down to 125, is this a real possibility? When is the last time he has been that low? So/Jr year of HS. Also someone mentioned VV possibly going down to 141. Is this really a thing?
In retrospect his HS wins were kind of ho hum and even if they weren't they mean nothing now.

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsalum
I love your unabashed Hawkeye homer mindset. I try to temper my expectations. Iowa putting out a better team than they did last year and competing well, can only help their future recruiting efforts. They are going to be f*n to watch for sure! 🤞🏻

Well... Teemer aint exactly "f*n" to watch. lol

Now is not the time for this negative nancy bullshite sir. Hawks winning it by 1.5

Some things in our favor:

Lilledahl might be folk rusty, could win it - could not place.

Bartlett returns to a weight where he could get 3rd. Considering he's not a bonus machine - that's a pretty big point discrepancy.

Van Ness has a decent injury history. And they have no Kasak sitting in the wings

Pretty sure Facundo is going. Hopefully it's too late in the season before cael realizes Haines is the better folkstyler and sticks with him at Big Tens.

Mirasola is special, but Buchanan should outplace anyone that PSU puts out
It’s going to take Iowa winning the attrition battle (see Van Ness comment). David Evans unfortunately is the backup plan at 141 & 149 so won’t be perfect for either. Zack Ryder is a push with Arnold and not even mentioned, and Barr isn’t even on people’s radar either off a 14-0 RS. They can’t help if Shayne gets dinged, but there is some leeway up top, even if more in a dual. It’s conceivable Mirasola could match Buchanan’s bonus in a tourney even if he’d lose H2H. I do think Keuter all-in can final though.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't like Drake at 133. I think his floor is much lower there.
Agreed. As nice as it would be to see him being able to go full throttle from whistle to whistle, there are some ABSOLUTE physical specimens at 133. Crookham, Ragusin, Bailey, Shawver, Orine and even Byrd are in your face from whistle to whistle with very heavy hands and with the exception of maybe Ragusin, they are very physical on top. Add in Nagao and I would have to say, how Ayala does on bottom will very likely be a key deciding factor on how high he places...

They are certainly better than last year, but alas unless there are some major injuries in Happy Valley, Iowa is still firmly in 2nd place. Moving in the right direction, but a lot of ground to make up.
But at least they are making the effort to have a chance to win if PSU stumbles at any weight.

Well... Teemer aint exactly "f*n" to watch. lol
I think a lot of that is gas tank dependent. When he looks fully healthy he seems to open up a lot more and he is capable of scoring a bunch of points in a hurry. If he can properly manage his weight and, more importantly, stay healthy, he should be quite entertaining!

Reactions: sdvike and vhsalum
It’s going to take Iowa winning the attrition battle (see Van Ness comment). David Evans unfortunately is the backup plan at 141 & 149 so won’t be perfect for either. Zack Ryder is a push with Arnold and not even mentioned, and Barr isn’t even on people’s radar either off a 14-0 RS. They can’t help if Shayne gets dinged, but there is some leeway up top, even if more in a dual. It’s conceivable Mirasola could match Buchanan’s bonus in a tourney even if he’d lose H2H. I do think Keuter all-in can final though.

No need to mention Ryder. He's behind Facundo/Haines at 174 and Starocci at 184.

Barr is out of place as a 197.

One thing I saw on social media yesterday though - Starocci still has a knee brace on.

I haven’t seen anything from Ybarra to think he would be a threat to AA in match. Going from 125 being a staple for years at Iowa to a big ?
^^^We all appreciate the effort as a Hawkeye, but Ybarra has never been anything more than a "don't get pinned/better than a forfeit" wrestler.

Reactions: oldhawk56
No need to mention Ryder. He's behind Facundo/Haines at 174 and Starocci at 184.

Barr is out of place as a 197.

One thing I saw on social media yesterday though - Starocci still has a knee brace on.
I made those mentions because I was talking about potential attrition (injury) chain of events, and in Ryder’s case he’s wrestled Arnold recently (no?).

Reactions: vhsalum
125 - Ayala/Peterson
133- see above
141 -Schriever/Block
149- Parco/ Block/ VV
157 -Teemer/VV
165- Endo/Kennedy
174- Brands/Arnold/Kennedy
184-Brands/Arnold/Ferrari
197- Buckshot Buchanan
285- Big Ben
SALTY, I smell victory

Last edited:
Reactions: bammhawk1
MSU, I put Kasak around 5-8 this season. I can see him behind Guys like Taylor, Johnson, Gallager, Blaze along with with Teemer, Cardenes and def Shapiro if healthy.
Don’t get me wrong. It’s PSU and I don’t doubt them anymore. But we are comparing a kid that wasn’t stellar during the season and had a run on the backside of the bracket. Although impressive, the backside often has a bunch of head scratching results for a myriad of reasons.

Meanwhile, he is will be bumping up a weight and is being compared to a guy that just took 2nd and has AA’d top 6 at that weight all 3 times he has wrestled the tournament.

Any preseason argument that puts Kasak above Teemer is asinine. Only a PSU troll would start that now without waiting to actually see what happens on the mat…

Reactions: Grip220 and T8KUDWN
I think a lot of that is gas tank dependent. When he looks fully healthy he seems to open up a lot more and he is capable of scoring a bunch of points in a hurry. If he can properly manage his weight and, more importantly, stay healthy, he should be quite entertaining!
Just like the ncaa finals where he tried 0 offensive moves

Don’t get me wrong. It’s PSU and I don’t doubt them anymore. But we are comparing a kid that wasn’t stellar during the season and had a run on the backside of the bracket. Although impressive, the backside often has a bunch of head scratching results for a myriad of reasons.

Meanwhile, he is will be bumping up a weight and is being compared to a guy that just took 2nd and has AA’d top 6 at that weight all 3 times he has wrestled the tournament.

Any preseason argument that puts Kasak above Teemer is asinine. Only a PSU troll would start that now without waiting to actually see what happens on the mat…
Kasak was a 24-5 freshman (not “stellar” put pretty damn impressive) who wrestled back to 3rd place. Teemer will be a grad student. Seems like there is a lot more room for Kasak to improve than a 5th/6th year guy. I look forward to them meeting.

Yeah, I’m not really disagreeing with you. I can easily see him as a round of 12. Also, I think their first shot at the finals is at 65

Damn it would be nice to have Nate Jesuroga right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or, it would be equally nice if SDSU gave us Tanner Jordan at 125 (ranked 6) for Cobe (ranked 18) and Glazier (ranked 12)! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandor45
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT