ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Jones

I always thought he was an exceptional receiver that was underutilized at Iowa. Unfortunately, we have a coach that has a history of being too loyal to less talented quarterbacks and a son that runs a third grade offense. Oh well. At least Purdue lost.
Charlie is a dang good player and I wish he'd have stayed, but if they use him that much all season.... I don't believe he will last very long...

For the recording I still like Charlie, but I also still contend, if Charlie ends up as PUs best wideout, it still says more about them, than it does us!

Are you really willing to trade him for a healthy Bruce or Johnson?
I'm willing to trade Purdue OC for BF.

Reactions: oldnewkirk.0
I get that this is your schtick and all, but he went to Purdue to get opportunities, which is what he got. Your suggestion that he went to Purdue to lose is just projection.
PS my schtick is we’ve got the 12th best record in all of college football in the last five years, what does Purdue have, by the way?

Reactions: F5n5
I just looked at the 2022 Purdue roster. It lists 15 WR’s. Charley’s rationale for transferring seemed to be to demonstrate his receiving skills. Even for a school like Purdue that throws the ball a lot, how many catches will he realistically get? That’s a lot of bodies competing for limited touches. Yes, they will be getting an elite kick returner but I still wonder what he was thinking.
well, so far....:rolleyes:

I'm trashing Charlie because he's a douchebag that left Iowa and his teammates high and dry at the last second, leaving them no time to find a replacement. I don't really care how good or bad he does there.

Had he not explicitly announced he was returning to Iowa and then waited until after spring ball, the 2022 recruiting class, AND the final day of the transfer portal, I'd wish him luck, like I do Tracy. But he didn't.
Again, looking at the situation through the perspective of a fan an nothing more. If you can find me a single post, tweet, or anything for that matter that suggests he’s a dbag or not a team player I’ll listen. However, by all accounts he’s a good dude and a good teammate. If you’re looking to place blame on our current WR shortage, maybe start with the coaching staff who watched 3 WRs depart prior to Jones and elected not to take a single WR from the transfer portal. If you’re argument is that their “wasn’t one that fit the Iowa mold” or “none were interested in coming here” I’m not buying it.
I’ll concede that stating he had unfinished business an said he was coming back is not a great look, but it’s not like he had a career contract at Iowa…shit he probably even regrets stating it, but that statement alone shouldn’t warrant a complete smear campaign of his character or abilities. All college players make mistakes, even the great ones….think Wirfs getting a DUI.

People with no vested interest other than perhaps the price of a ticket take this stuff way too seriously.

The guy had an incredible game after leaving to raise his profile and draft stock. I'd say he's off to a pretty good start with a huge game equating to half his receptions from all of last year. Nobody can deny that. Good for him. Whether he did or didn't perform well tonight had no bearing on Iowa's season.

Now, let's hope Iowa can showcase some of their own WR talent and come out with a win on Saturday.

Go Hawks!

I’m sorry, I must be confused… He did get the loss, right?
Jones says he wants to go to Purdue to get opportunities in a more suitable offense. Fact.
Jones got opportunities. Fact.
Purdue lost. Fact.

Where is your confusion coming in?

Again, looking at the situation through the perspective of a fan an nothing more. If you can find me a single post, tweet, or anything for that matter that suggests he’s a dbag or not a team player I’ll listen. However, by all accounts he’s a good dude and a good teammate. If you’re looking to place blame on our current WR shortage, maybe start with the coaching staff who watched 3 WRs depart prior to Jones and elected not to take a single WR from the transfer portal. If you’re argument is that their “wasn’t one that fit the Iowa mold” or “none were interested in coming here” I’m not buying it.
I’ll concede that stating he had unfinished business an said he was coming back is not a great look, but it’s not like he had a career contract at Iowa…shit he probably even regrets stating it, but that statement alone shouldn’t warrant a complete smear campaign of his character or abilities. All college players make mistakes, even the great ones….think Wirfs getting a DUI.

I have zero problem with Charlie Jones, and he had one hell of a game and I still profess it’s remarkable that they took a wide receiver from Iowa, again I’m stressing Purdue a passing team that should have 50 really good wide receivers had to take a wide receiver from Iowa who caught 12 passes and they still lost the ****ing game…

Let that sink in…I mean relax, chill out and let that sink in..it’s truly remarkable… Just goes to show you a wide-open passing attack probably isn’t necessarily the way to go at least for Purdue in the Big Ten !!

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
PS my schtick is we’ve got the 12th best record in all of college football in the last five years, what does Purdue have, by the way?
An offense that Jones felt was more suitable to giving him an opportunity to showcase his receiving capabilities.

You wouldn't be surprised if Iowa suddenly had a consensus all-B1G return guy? I don't think I'd be more surprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet.
He won’t be all B1G this year, that’s my point. Wont be surprised if his replacement has more success than he does, not DID...

Electing to return only to see if HE would benefit from spring ball is pretty damn selfish if you ask me.

Prior to CJ leaving we had the following at WR.

KJ
Ragaini
ABIV
CJ
Brecht
Vines
Bostick
+Walkons

There simply wasn't room before that. By the time he announced his departure, anyone worth taking in the portal was already gone.

I always thought he was an exceptional receiver that was underutilized at Iowa. Unfortunately, we have a coach that has a history of being too loyal to less talented quarterbacks and a son that runs a third grade offense. Oh well. At least Purdue lost.
Like ol Joe would say, Come on man ! That is a silly post.

I'm completely fine with Iowa fans hating on Charlie and enjoying the way that Purdue BLEW this game.

He waited until May 25th to enter the portal and immediately goes to a team within your division.

Iowa fans just need to NOT sendin messages directly at him on Twitter... please!

Reactions: hawkfan2679
Let me say that a different way you are definitely not the kind of Iowa fan I want to hang around!
We clearly would not get along, and I'm OK with that.

You've been posting on a message board for 20+ years and are still using words like "jackwad."

No, we definitely wouldn't mesh well together.

I have zero problem with Charlie Jones, and he had one hell of a game and I still profess it’s remarkable that they took a wide receiver from Iowa, again I’m stressing Purdue a passing team that should have 50 really good wide receivers had to take a wide receiver from Iowa who caught 12 passes and they still lost the ****ing game…

Let that sink in…I mean relax, chill out and let that sink in..it’s truly remarkable… Just goes to show you a wide-open passing attack probably isn’t necessarily the way to go at least for Purdue in the Big Ten !!
I’m clearly more relaxed than you, but their offense isn’t what lost them the game…their defense is obviously is definitely missing their 1st rounder George Karlaftis among others. Also, Brohm, whom I believe is a good coach, made a poor judgement call in not running the ball. I dislike Purdue because they’ve had Iowa’s number recently, an because they’re out “most hated rival.” However, I dislike the arrogance and dbag fans from Penn St even more.

The past 2 years Iowa has been averaging about 45 to 55 as a pass to run ratio. Furthermore, generally speaking, given Iowa's pace of O ... on average, the Hawks see around 66 snaps on O per game. That averages to just around 30 pass-attempts per game. If an Iowa QB is hitting at around a 60% completion percentage (which Petras hasn't yet hit as a season average) ... then that is 18 completions per game.

Competing for those 18 average completions are usually around 2 or 3 top WRs, usually around 2 TEs, and a RB (if we have one who demonstrates enough versatility).

If you look at the Purdue ... they had 81 snaps against PSU. Of those snaps ... a very high percentage were pass-plays.

I’m clearly more relaxed than you, but their offense isn’t what lost them the game…their defense is obviously is definitely missing their 1st rounder George Karlaftis among others. Also, Brohm, whom I believe is a good coach, made a poor judgement call in not running the ball. I dislike Purdue because they’ve had Iowa’s number recently, an because they’re out “most hated rival.” However, I dislike the arrogance and dbag fans from Penn St even more.
You probably are more relaxed than me. I’m pretty high strung and I’m pretty intense but the funny thing is…generally speaking I’m a lover not a fighter. But I get real damn tired of getting on this board and seeing people constantly trash our team… It would be a different deal if our team generally sucked, but they don’t… The same coaching staff that you are pissed off at is the same one that has won a shit ton of games over the last five years… So in reality I’m actually probably more relaxed than you. I’m willing to take the good with the bad, you clearly aren’t !

Reactions: Arbor1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT