ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz issues apology for comments on Tuesday

the apology was not written by Kirk. I know a Kirk apology when I see one:

"I wanted to take a moment to apologize for my comment the other day. It kind of reminded me of a similar incident that happened in ’83, We had a veteran offensive line, and Ronnie Harmon could really run the football, he got us out of some bad situations. I remember a particular run vs. Michigan State, 3rd and 17 I think it was, some of you might remember.... and he just outran three defenders to get the first down.
And so you try to learn from that and that’s the challenge we’re facing this week".
this is the funniest shit I've read in a long time. lmao.

If anything, this whole situation just shows us that Kirk would have been completely overwhelmed being a HC in an NFL media market. Those guys go for blood.
Anybody who thinks that the media has not been circling the Iowa Football program like a pack of merciless bloodthirsty sharks is just checking in, they have not been watching and listening closely at all.

But having said that, I wonder how the media would react to Kirk taking a complete Bill Belichick approach to answering media questions, Would they like that better? Is that more professional and respectful of the media?

Wow. It's amazing the empathy some people claim to have for a multimillion-dollar football coach. Maybe you should save some of that for people who actually deserve it, like election officials and their families who have been threatened with torture and death because they simply did their jobs and prevented a treasonous "president" from pulling off a coup. And there are hundreds of others in line well ahead of poor Kirk Ferentz. Iowa football is just plain bullshit, and Kirk Ferentz needs to resign or be fired yesterday.

BTW: Gary Barta and KF did, as you suggested, create this situation, so it's completely incredible that some people feel sorry for Ferentz. Just incredible. Recruit a mobile QB. Get some wide receivers and throw them the ball. Hire an actual OC and QB coach. Find some O-linemen in the portal and find a coach who knows what to do with them. And throw out the entire offense and join the 21st century. KF could have done all of those things before this season began. Instead, he didn't do a SINGLE one. Pathetic. And yet you and others make excuses for him and feel sorry for him . . .
Not surprising at all. Fan's are highly invested in the well-being of their teams, they get great satisfaction and joy in cheering them on and experience deep sadness and frustration when their teams perform badly. Sports are an entertaining diversion from all the fears and threats of war and global annihilation that exist in the real world.

Your point is well taken when considering that Football is still just a game, an entertaining pastime for its watchers, and all honesty is not front-page newsworthy, considering all the more critical happenings in the world. Yet, this swirl of criticism and out-and-out hatred focused on Biran and Kirk Ferentz is way out of proportion compared to the corrupt world of American Politics, which should be a much more impactful and much more serious and concerning state of affairs for all American's.

Last edited:
I had hoped to join the zoom call this morning, but practice lasted longer than anticipated. I wanted to take a moment to apologize for my comments during the news conference yesterday. I should not have been dismissive of one of your colleagues – his questions were fair. I have a high respect for the work that you do, and I am appreciative of how you cover our team. You ask tough and pointed questions but do so with a high degree of professionalism. I tell our players to take the high road and yesterday, I did not do the same thing.

I look forward to seeing you on Saturday.
i missed original comment, anyone have a link?

Anybody who thinks that the media has not been circling the Iowa Football program like a pack of merciless bloodthirsty sharks is just checking in, they have not been watching and listening closely at all.

But having said that, I wonder how the media would react to Kirk taking a complete Bill Belichick approach to answering media questions, Would they like that better? Is that more professional and respectful of the media?
Hell, watch a nick saban presser. Makes this comment look tame by comp.

Not surprising at all. Fan's are highly invested in the well-being of their teams, they get great satisfaction and joy in cheering them on and experience deep sadness and frustration when their teams perform badly. Sports are an entertaining diversion from all the fears and threats of war and global annihilation that exist in the real world.

Your point is well taken when considering that Football is still just a game, an entertaining pastime for its watchers, and all honesty is not front-page newsworthy, considering all the more critical happenings in the world. Yet, this swirl of criticism and out-and-out hatred focused on Biran and Kirk Ferentz is way out of proportion compared to the corrupt world of American Politics, which should be a much more impactful and much more serious and concerning state of affairs for all American's.
CompassionateHelplessHagfish-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: BCRoss89
I just cannot relate to this. Why would you follow a team that has had a leader you feel this way about? I’m really annoyed by all this crap this season, but I could never stick around for 15 years. I mean - pretty soon your anger towards Kirk will be able to drive

I pretty much walked away from the basketball team after a couple years of Lickliter. Why haven’t you done the same here?
Oh God, be careful there. He's liable to actually come back and say" because he's an Iowa fan", which we know clearly is a lie......

Reactions: Hawk and Awe
The ability to feel empathy for someone shouldn’t be dependent on their circumstances.

Kirk screwed up, he apologized. Feel like the story should be over now.
There's too much blood in the water, and the sharks have been waiting for a good meal for too long. None of this is going away.....

Reactions: sober_teacher

Lol Belichick has earned a little more leverage on how he deals with the media.

It was a petty statement. It was directed at a reporter out of the Iowa circle. He was agitated about it because he knows once the question was formally asked, it will open more questions. Possibly from the circle. Now that he apologized he may think that the Iowa media will move on. He doesn't care about national media. He does care about controlling the narrative in his territory though.

He should care about the national media because the national media is writing about what's going on in Iowa City. And the Iowa football program right now is a laughing stock.

How does KF expect to recruit, especially on the offensive side of the ball, when all the press is negative?

Why can it not be possible that he can still be pissed about the questions and subsequent article, frustration got to him and he snapped? Then apologizing for the comments while still being ticked off at the article. An apology doesn’t have to mean he isn’t allowed to be angry at something he doesn’t like. It just means he knows he shouldn’t have snapped at reporters like that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but he never apologized to the Buckeye beat writer. He only apologized to the Iowa media for making those comments during the press conference on Tuesday.

I've never seen a Saban presser where he degrades a guy for what he does for a living.

If that’s the worst thing a coach ever says to him, he’ll have had a pretty good career.

I rewatched the KF presser. It was a bad comment by Kirk but I feel like it’s taken on a life of its own at this point far beyond the comment itself.

I can understand why what (and how) the reporter asked Kirk got under his skin, especially given how the season has gone. And then the article he wrote…easy to see how that would have made Kirk mad. So he lashed out.

Kirk has apologized. The season has enough going on that I don’t feel like dwelling on this anymore.

And please, there have been plenty of times saban has lashed out, or pretty much any other coach at some point during their careers. Coaches and reporters have an adversarial relationship at times. This is far from the worst thing a coach has ever said about a reporter.

Lol, he was an ASS from the beginning......And his leverage left with some guy named Tom. Whats his record look like without that guy???
Either way, Belichick has been tight lipped for a long time. Hayden Fry could get ornery with the media. Bob Knight would make reporters look ridiculous when they asked what he "thought" was a stupid question... this is uncharted territory for Kirk, I think that is why people are surprised and it is a talking point. This whole season seems something is wrong. I don't think Kirk was wrong for his response. I also think the reporter reported in facts.

Reactions: HFan1981
If that’s the worst thing a coach ever says to him, he’ll have had a pretty good career.

I rewatched the KF presser. It was a bad comment by Kirk but I feel like it’s taken on a life of its own at this point far beyond the comment itself.

I can understand why what (and how) the reporter asked Kirk got under his skin, especially given how the season has gone. And then the article he wrote…easy to see how that would have made Kirk mad. So he lashed out.

Kirk has apologized. The season has enough going on that I don’t feel like dwelling on this anymore.

And please, there have been plenty of times saban has lashed out, or pretty much any other coach at some point during their careers. Coaches and reporters have an adversarial relationship at times. This is far from the worst thing a coach has ever said about a reporter.
Lol, KF makes $7 mill a year and is whining about having to answer uncomfortable questions.

Reactions: HFan1981

Damn dude. Quit apologizing for Kirk. His apology became crap when he went on the coaches show and doubled down on that reporter for being the problem. He once again went after a professional for asking hard questions and then writing a factual article. Because of "tone." He's angry cause it's getting near impossible to hide the fact that Brian got the job, and has retained that job, purely because of nepotism. He should be angry at himself instead of lashing out at a truth teller. But he's too busy constructing some obfuscation and distraction from the real subject. Iowa football is NOT the Ferentz family's domain to do as they wish without consequences. Poor Kirk is realizing he's kinda ****ed.

Reactions: radicalhawk
Damn dude. Quit apologizing for Kirk. His apology became crap when he went on the coaches show and doubled down on that reporter for being the problem. He once again went after a professional for asking hard questions and then writing a factual article. Because of "tone." He's angry cause it's getting near impossible to hide the fact that Brian got the job, and has retained that job, purely because of nepotism. He should be angry at himself instead of lashing out at a truth teller. But he's too busy constructing some obfuscation and distraction from the real subject. Iowa football is NOT the Ferentz family's domain to do as they wish without consequences. Poor Kirk is realizing he's kinda ****ed.

I’m not apologizing for anything. He made a bad comment about a reporter, apologized, then gave a poor explanation when talking about it again.

just trying to point out that he’s hardly the only coach to stick his foot in his mouth like that; and also - it’s just small potatoes besides the mess the Iowa offense has turned into this year that will likely cost his son his job; as well as likely accelerating his own eventual exit from the program.

That's just like Kirk to apologize. You said what you said, own it. A real apology would have come the next morning. Had he put out a statement that he was frustrated and said some things he wasn't proud of then good on him. When you wait it just seems he caved to pressure.

Reactions: radicalhawk
you'll notice he has NOT apologized to the actual reporter.

the written statement was addressed to the Iowa media corp and how grateful he is to have them covering the team (draw your own conclusions on what that implies).

the apology in the broadcast interview was directed towards his team for 'deviating' from the high road when asked difficult questions. he has yet to apologize to the guy he insulted.

reminds me of this: rum raisin
I would be pissed off at a reporter covering OSU who has no idea what it's like to coach at Iowa

Haha....so NOW the PR Department steps in. Those were 100% NOT his own words....he is simply not capable of apologizing without somehow subliminally issuing a subtle shot. Hook him up to a lie detector, and you'll find out that he 100% believes everything he said yesterday.
You obviously don't know him. At all.

• Haha
Reactions: 515Clone
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT