ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz issues apology for comments on Tuesday

Maybe he got the gig because he believes in the offensive philosophy the head coach wants, and has been groomed since birth to play/coach football.
Lots of people not named Ferentz have been groomed to play/coach football. Brian was 34, had one year of experience as a position coach with the Patriots, had five years of experience as a position coach at Iowa, and then was gifted the OC gig by his dad. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Gronk's career would never have been what it was without that year of Brian's teachings, but there's no way there wasn't a more experienced, qualified, and capable candidate for Offensive Coordinator at a borderline perennial top-25 B1G program than BF. It's so obvious and laughable.

Wow. It's amazing the empathy some people claim to have for a multimillion-dollar football coach. Maybe you should save some of that for people who actually deserve it, like election officials and their families who have been threatened with torture and death because they simply did their jobs and prevented a treasonous "president" from pulling off a coup. And there are hundreds of others in line well ahead of poor Kirk Ferentz. Iowa football is just plain bullshit, and Kirk Ferentz needs to resign or be fired yesterday.

BTW: Gary Barta and KF did, as you suggested, create this situation, so it's completely incredible that some people feel sorry for Ferentz. Just incredible. Recruit a mobile QB. Get some wide receivers and throw them the ball. Hire an actual OC and QB coach. Find some O-linemen in the portal and find a coach who knows what to do with them. And throw out the entire offense and join the 21st century. KF could have done all of those things before this season began. Instead, he didn't do a SINGLE one. Pathetic. And yet you and others make excuses for him and feel sorry for him . . .

The ability to feel empathy for someone shouldn’t be dependent on their circumstances.

Kirk screwed up, he apologized. Feel like the story should be over now.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
All these problems would vanish if Kirk would do the hard thing and bring in a new OC who has control of the Offense and is allowed to bring in his own OL Coach , You field a Yearly defense like Iowa's and You can afford to not play conservative on Offense because in the absolutely worst circumstances which We all saw at OSU the Defense covered up a lot of the Offensive mistakes , A normal Defense would have given up over 90 points with the field position and Turnovers and lack of production that Offense saddled em with . It is time and Kirk isnt stupid just stubborn . This Offseason will say a lot about the next few Years of Iowa Football.

Well, at least KF is man enough to apologize when he says something stupid. You should take a page. You are just a whiney child at this point.
I didn’t see an apology to the reporter did you? He never said I’m sorry to that person. He just said he shouldn’t of attacked the reporter in a scripted written response, probably by his PR Firm, which is probably Mary, that he is paying her to help with his grumpy, snarky self when questioned about putting his son ahead of the best interests of the Iowa football program.

Kirk “be better” Ferentz then doubled down on his radio show last night and couldn’t leave it alone. Had to get another shot in at the reporter. He’s not sorry in the least. It’s time for him to go.

stunning-brave.gif

I know that I'd be a little snarky if in his position. But that's me😉

Regardless, handling tough questions comes with the job, good or bad. I'd even go so far as to say that's football.

🙂
you’ve seen my posting history….I wake up snarky everyday just waiting for someone to piss me off and it usually doesn’t take very long 😎

couldn’t imagine the shit he has coming at him…… but 7 millie has to help

It’s one thing to evaluate the performance of the offense it’s another to say the offense isn’t good because his last name is Ferentz.
Doesn't this contradict your previous statement where you talked about him being groomed from birth? I assume you mean groomed by a Ferentz in the Farentz philosophy.

All these problems would vanish if Kirk would do the hard thing and bring in a new OC who has control of the Offense and is allowed to bring in his own OL Coach , You field a Yearly defense like Iowa's and You can afford to not play conservative on Offense because in the absolutely worst circumstances which We all saw at OSU the Defense covered up a lot of the Offensive mistakes , A normal Defense would have given up over 90 points with the field position and Turnovers and lack of production that Offense saddled em with . It is time and Kirk isnt stupid just stubborn . This Offseason will say a lot about the next few Years of Iowa Football.
You mean, like the previous offseason? The Hawkeyes were earth-shatteringly bad on offense last year and as near as I can fathom, KF and BF did NOTHING about it in the offseason. The few changes they did make apparently made matters even worse. I guess losing and proving game after game to be THE absolute worst offense in the entire country is going to force their hand? It should but I'm not sure that outcome's guaranteed.

Regarding the "tone", is there an audio recording of the exchange?
20:01 mark in this clip is where the reporter asks the series of questions to Kirk. This video also happens to feature the reporter (Doug) who asked those questions.
26:24 mark in the same clip is where they discuss Kirk's comments he made in his Tuesday presser.

The tone was in no way like an "interrogation".

Reactions: wxhawk
You mean, like the previous offseason? The Hawkeyes were earth-shatteringly bad on offense last year and as near as I can fathom, KF and BF did NOTHING about it in the offseason. The few changes they did make apparently made matters even worse. I guess losing and proving game after game to be THE absolute worst offense in the entire country is going to force their hand? It should but I'm not sure that outcome's guaranteed.
This. The past offseason was the time to address all of this. And we seemingly didn’t do much or anything.

This. The past offseason was the time to address all of this. And we seemingly didn’t do much or anything.
I can accept, though not agree, with the idea that last year was a fluke “year from hell” type season for the offense and that making minor changes, plus getting healthy and player progression would right the ship. thats based on the logic that by the end of the season, they weren’t doing anything well; previous years you could point to something to build around. You can try this once imo.

this year, somehow everything got worse. It’s inconceivable to me that they could go into the spring and not change anything.

Well, it was smoke and mirrors a bit but the offense looked competent in the bowl game. Petras played okay, we ran the ball well, and didn’t have KJ or Goodson so if you’re the Ferentz’s and you’re looking at bowl prep, and you see the results, you might think okay we have some stuff figured out on the line, we have a couple pretty good tightends, and we’re gonna get our most explosive player on the outside back… oh we’re also gonna be pretty solid on defense and have one of the best punting games in the country…. How many drastic changes do we really need to make?

It's just that I've seen through this guy for 15+ years...I can read him like a book. If he truly was a great guy, I wouldn't be such a dick towards him....but he's not a great guy....he's a tool.

Ooooohhh, a mind-reader! Might want to look in the mirror re: tool.

KF is a very good human and a great football coach. This year sucks generally and the offense is abysmal. It's that simple.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
20:01 mark in this clip is where the reporter asks the series of questions to Kirk. This video also happens to feature the reporter (Doug) who asked those questions.
26:24 mark in the same clip is where they discuss Kirk's comments he made in his Tuesday presser.

The tone was in no way like an "interrogation".

Thank you. That was a good watch.

Well, it was smoke and mirrors a bit but the offense looked competent in the bowl game. Petras played okay, we ran the ball well, and didn’t have KJ or Goodson so if you’re the Ferentz’s and you’re looking at bowl prep, and you see the results, you might think okay we have some stuff figured out on the line, we have a couple pretty good tightends, and we’re gonna get our most explosive player on the outside back… oh we’re also gonna be pretty solid on defense and have one of the best punting games in the country…. How many drastic changes do we really need to make?
Petras played okay in the bowl game? generous

They ran the ball better in the bowl game without Goodson, I thought they would run the ball well this season, the huge drop in QB play along with poor OL play and overall scheme has been the problem.

One of the top WR in the country didn't even catch a pass in the bowl game

This is where I’m totally all over the place. I’ve been very frustrated with the inability to see the need for change, particularly at QB but possibly with the OL as well. And the inability to proactively address WR. But dam it, I truly think KF is a helluva person and genuine as you can get when it’s not something he feels he needs to be guarded about (the team). Classic case of “hate the addiction, love the person” imo. In this case his unhealthy habit is his desire to not change - but I think it’s situations like this or when he hugs/cries with players after a hard fought game - you know he loves the program and tries to do what is right.

Doesn’t absolve him outright, and there’s work/change to be done, but certainly reminds me (and many of us) why we’ve loved the guy as our coach.
You certainly don't need permission from me to feel that way, but I completely agree.

I fact, I don't know why it is so hard for fans to feel the same way. He is a good guy and for a long time has given Iowa fans a lot to cheer about.

So, he sucks at offense, fans don't want him as coach anymore, he blew it hiring his son, he's made plenty of coaching blunders, etc. Plenty to criticize for the team this year for sure.

But, he is NOT an evil monster sent here to destroy Iowa football.

Who he is and what he does as HC are two different things. Some respect is in order.

Dude, it should have been a non-issue but it came off distasteful and the guy sacked up and acknowledged it. Don't be that guy. They are not a good football team this year, KF is all thumbs when it comes to coaching passing the football and always has been, he is and always has been a good dude.
I’m sure no one on this thread has never said some thing they wish they could take back. Sometimes all you can do is acknowledge what you said was wrong. I don’t have a PR department but I apologize to my wife after I’ve had some time to reflect on a shitty comment I made.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Doug Lesmerises, the Cleveland.com reporter, had a great response & reminds us that even with these distractions, the elephant still remains in the room (see last sentence of this post).

From ESPN:

Doug Lesmerises, who wrote the column critical of the Ferentz dynamic at Iowa, said in a text to The Associated Press that he had no problem with how Ferentz answered his questions [on Saturday] or what he said Tuesday.

"I criticized him and he certainly has the right to respond however he sees fit,'' Lesmerises said.
"The issue remains how Kirk Ferentz and Iowa have handled the employment of Brian Ferentz.''

Wow. It's amazing the empathy some people claim to have for a multimillion-dollar football coach. Maybe you should save some of that for people who actually deserve it, like election officials and their families who have been threatened with torture and death because they simply did their jobs and prevented a treasonous "president" from pulling off a coup. And there are hundreds of others in line well ahead of poor Kirk Ferentz. Iowa football is just plain bullshit, and Kirk Ferentz needs to resign or be fired yesterday.

BTW: Gary Barta and KF did, as you suggested, create this situation, so it's completely incredible that some people feel sorry for Ferentz. Just incredible. Recruit a mobile QB. Get some wide receivers and throw them the ball. Hire an actual OC and QB coach. Find some O-linemen in the portal and find a coach who knows what to do with them. And throw out the entire offense and join the 21st century. KF could have done all of those things before this season began. Instead, he didn't do a SINGLE one. Pathetic. And yet you and others make excuses for him and feel sorry for him . . .
Keep the freaking politics on HORT

So, he sucks at offense, fans don't want him as coach anymore, he blew it hiring his son, he's made plenty of coaching blunders, etc. Plenty to criticize for the team this year for sure.

But, he is NOT an evil monster sent here to destroy Iowa football.

Who he is and what he does as HC are two different things. Some respect is in order.
Yes, respect is in order for Ferentz. But, respect is a two-way street. Ferentz needs to respect the fans and Iowa football. Fans had expectations this year and every home was sold out. Maybe some of the expectations were unrealistic but nothing as bad as this was expected. Get over the dismissive/snark crap when you're asked hard questions because the questions are only going to get harder. If he can't fix the problems, can't learn from his mistakes and continues to hurt Iowa football, he deserves less respect and he and Iowa need an exit strategy.

Reactions: drew_hawk
Yes, respect is in order for Ferentz. But, respect is a two-way street. Ferentz needs to respect the fans and Iowa football. Fans had expectations this year and every home was sold out. Maybe some of the expectations were unrealistic but nothing as bad as this was expected. Get over the dismissive/snark crap when you're asked hard questions because the questions are only going to get harder. If he can't fix the problems, can't learn from his mistakes and continues to hurt Iowa football, he deserves less respect and he and Iowa need an exit strategy.
Respect is a two-way street and Ferentz to my knowledge has never disrespected the fans. But he can’t let the fans run the football program… just look at what goes on here… we need to run! We need to pass! We need to have a mobile QB! We need to spread it out! We need to… xyz

you know he loves the program and tries to do what is right.

Doesn’t absolve him outright, and there’s work/change to be done, but certainly reminds me (and many of us) why we’ve loved the guy as our coach.

Unfortunately, KF hasn't done the right thing several times when it comes to his son. Was Brian the right choice (best available candidate) for OC? Why add QB coach to Brian's duties, when even Brian admitted he had zero experience coaching QBs?

And now, doing what's right would be firing his son. Most programs would have done it already. KF said any such decision won't happen until after the season ends.

And does anyone think that Brian won't be part of the staff next year? Worst case for Brian is he gets reassigned, but, again, how many programs have fired their OC or DC and then kept them on the staff?

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
This is starting to look like the beginning of the end.

You can't minimize what he's been to Hawkeye football, but it certainly seems like this is all heading in the wrong direction.

The optics are really bad right now.
Perception is reality...

It would have been better if he left well enough alone/or just repeated his written statement.

I was on board with patting him on the back after reading that…then I saw the hawk talk thing….He ain’t sorry…and “I love the Iowa media”, I bet you do Kirk…

It was a petty statement. It was directed at a reporter out of the Iowa circle. He was agitated about it because he knows once the question was formally asked, it will open more questions. Possibly from the circle. Now that he apologized he may think that the Iowa media will move on. He doesn't care about national media. He does care about controlling the narrative in his territory though.

Whatever caused him to apologize, I'm sure he just wants this to go back to normal. He didn't do anything other then give a Buckeye writer more validity. He really should have just let it go. Nobody was harmed by the comment other then Kirk.

Kirk Ferentz seems like a good man. He has been a very good coach. But when you are making a high wage, likely one of the largest in the entire state. You have to deliver results, you have to be a professional. You are a representative of the university. Whatever you do, say or fail at will be highlighted. This isn't Bob's Burgers. You can't hire family just because. Brian isn't fit to be the offensive coordinator. His results would get him fired at any other job. This isn't Ferentz University.

Unfortunately, KF hasn't done the right thing several times when it comes to his son. Was Brian the right choice (best available candidate) for OC? Why add QB coach to Brian's duties, when even Brian admitted he had zero experience coaching QBs?

And now, doing what's right would be firing his son. Most programs would have done it already. KF said any such decision won't happen until after the season ends.

And does anyone think that Brian won't be part of the staff next year? Worst case for Brian is he gets reassigned, but, again, how many programs have fired their OC or DC and then kept them on the staff?
All good points, Fran. We’ll never know, but my hunch is like many of us, KF may have talked himself into it being the right decision for the program. Hindsight and all…yep. But knowing KF is quite risk-averse, hiring his son as OC May have been much less risk than bringing in an outsider. He tried with Greg Davis - an older, established outsider and may not have liked (we sure didn’t) that outcome. So if the choice was a young-up-and-comer that you know, or one that you don’t, he probably rationalized it was actually not just the safe decision, but maybe the right one. Plus I’m sure his desire, and a good outcome for the program, was things go great and BF is the next HC with perfect program continuity in that transition.

But…the best laid plans, as they say….

he’s also has some head-scratcher comments lately too like the Duece Hogan and recent reporter dust-up. But he’s probably set a bar for himself over the years that is hard to always live up to. If Frost or Fleck make those comments, it’s just another day for them.

all in all, not really trying to defend KF or Bf thru this. I’ve been beyond frustrated. More trying to open my perspective a bit and also seeing glimpses of why he’s been so respected (by me and others) for so long. Really good coach - needs to change and quickly. And don’t hire anymore family!!!

Respect is a two-way street and Ferentz to my knowledge has never disrespected the fans. But he can’t let the fans run the football program… just look at what goes on here… we need to run! We need to pass! We need to have a mobile QB! We need to spread it out! We need to… xyz
Kirk may have not disrespected the fans. But this offense and all the circumstances around it, is definitely disrespectful to his defensive players and coaches, including special teams. Those are the people who should feel upset.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Doubled down tonight talking with Dolph at the Vue by saying he apologizes, but did not like the tone the reporter asked the questions with and he has an opinion. Did say he appreciates the media he deals with here because they ask tough questions in a respectful manner.
Ouch! I would have apologized and let it be. What you don't say is everything.
So, an apology he only said to calm the situation without actually believing it? Sorta kinda nullified the apology in my opinion. When is an apology not an apology? I'll hang up and let Kirk field the question..

Reactions: radicalhawk
So, an apology he only said to calm the situation without actually believing it? Sorta kinda nullified the apology in my opinion. When is an apology not an apology? I'll hang up and let Kirk field the question..
Why can it not be possible that he can still be pissed about the questions and subsequent article, frustration got to him and he snapped? Then apologizing for the comments while still being ticked off at the article. An apology doesn’t have to mean he isn’t allowed to be angry at something he doesn’t like. It just means he knows he shouldn’t have snapped at reporters like that.

the apology was not written by Kirk. I know a Kirk apology when I see one:

"I wanted to take a moment to apologize for my comment the other day. It kind of reminded me of a similar incident that happened in ’83, We had a veteran offensive line, and Ronnie Harmon could really run the football, he got us out of some bad situations. I remember a particular run vs. Michigan State, 3rd and 17 I think it was, some of you might remember.... and he just outran three defenders to get the first down.
And so you try to learn from that and that’s the challenge we’re facing this week".

Why can it not be possible that he can still be pissed about the questions and subsequent article, frustration got to him and he snapped? Then apologizing for the comments while still being ticked off at the article. An apology doesn’t have to mean he isn’t allowed to be angry at something he doesn’t like. It just means he knows he shouldn’t have snapped at reporters like that.
Kirk? Is that you?

He has said many times how great the fans are at Iowa. He apologized for the snarky remarks.

He's in a tough spot due to some bad decisions.

Two things bug me ...

1. Over the top insults at KF, the person. Insults toward coaching abilities are fair game,

2. Fans acting like the Hawks have NEVER been any good.

I desperately hope he retires at the end of the season. I don't know how he could take any more abuse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT