ADVERTISEMENT

For all you Brian Haters

I just stumbled upon a site that breaks down offensive stats from a number of different angles.

It shows each team's rank on long, mid and short drives as well as a ton of other stats. If you just look at the overall offensive points per drive (to account for Iowa's fewer possessions than other teams) the rankings look like this since 2007 (that's as far back as it goes):

2007​
95​
O'Keefe
2008​
36​
O'Keefe
2009​
79​
O'Keefe
2010​
34​
O'Keefe
2011​
35​
O'Keefe
2012​
116​
Davis
2013​
81​
Davis
2014​
72​
Davis
2015​
46​
Davis
2016​
81​
Davis
2017​
75​
BF
2018​
52​
BF
2019​
74​
BF
2020​
56​
BF
2021​
104​
BF
This is the exact stat that I was thinking about given the pace and complementary nature of Iowa's offense. Without looking, do you know if this also has 1st downs and average yards per possession?

I just stumbled upon a site that breaks down offensive stats from a number of different angles.

It shows each team's rank on long, mid and short drives as well as a ton of other stats. If you just look at the overall offensive points per drive (to account for Iowa's fewer possessions than other teams) the rankings look like this since 2007 (that's as far back as it goes):

2007​
95​
O'Keefe
2008​
36​
O'Keefe
2009​
79​
O'Keefe
2010​
34​
O'Keefe
2011​
35​
O'Keefe
2012​
116​
Davis
2013​
81​
Davis
2014​
72​
Davis
2015​
46​
Davis
2016​
81​
Davis
2017​
75​
BF
2018​
52​
BF
2019​
74​
BF
2020​
56​
BF
2021​
104​
BF
Yeah PPD is a good indicator. Not perfect, but good. If Iowa is just top 50 there, it usually indicates they will have a good team. 2011 and 2010 offenses were good despite the records. Shows how much of an outlier getting 10 wins with an offense that bad last year was.

Reactions: Ree4
Last year's O rankings:

Passing O: #109
Rushing O: #102
Scoring O: #99
Total O: #121

That's just f*cking embarrassing. If you want a metric from me I'd say finish in the top-60 in Scoring O as well as two of the remaining three categories.
so you won’t be satisfied with anything less than a NC
:)

So Homer you seem to know a lot about FB and I respect your opinion. But I don’t understand a point you always try to make. Ball control field position ball doesn’t mean you can’t be efficient and actually score points. You can gain big chunks of yards playing a pro style offense just as easily as playing any other offense. You also make it sound like just because our defense is trying to force turnovers and such our offense then has to play conservatively. They don’t have to go hand in hand is what I’m saying. I get that we like to be balanced and such but the numbers are frankly abysmal. What am I missing?
No reason Iowa can’t have a good defense AND a good offense. It’s not either/or.

Here is the ranking out of the total number of FBS teams based on total offense, and the team's OC for that season.

1999 - ?? (Ken O'Keefe)
2000 - 104/116 (Ken O'Keefe)
2001 - 45/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2002 - 13/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2003 - 92/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2004 - 104/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2005 - 22/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2006 - 27/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2007 - 109/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2008 - 53/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2009 - 89/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2010 - 57/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2011 - 76/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2012 - 117/124 (Greg Davis)
2013 - 84/125 (Greg Davis)
2014 - 66/128 (Greg Davis)
2015 - 72/128 (Greg Davis)
2016 - 121/128 (Greg Davis)
2017 - 117/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2018 - 92/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2019 - 99/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2020 - 88/128 (Brian Ferentz)
2021 - 124/130 (Brian Ferentz)
I can’t get over how Brian has us averaging as the 104th best offense in the country under his 5 year tenure.

This is the exact stat that I was thinking about given the pace and complementary nature of Iowa's offense. Without looking, do you know if this also has 1st downs and average yards per possession?
Not that I've seen yet, but it does show "available yards" which calculates the percentage of yards earned over the yards available (starting field position to the end zone).

BF's offensive rankings are predictably worse in the "available yards" stat than the "points per possession" stat. This is likely due to the large amount of turnovers that the defense has been forcing in recent years, putting the offense in better field position. The defense wasn't forcing turnovers at the same rate during the Greg Davis years.

I can’t get over how Brian has us averaging as the 104th best offense in the country under his 5 year tenure.
the country of bhutan doesn’t care about their GDP ranking, they only care about GNH. Iowa football is similar
:)

This "hater" crap is so lame. It's hard to believe how intellectually bankrupt this society has become. Don't like how so and so does their job? You must be a hater. Think that someone is less than effective and that better options exist? You must be hater.

Give me a fu#%king break. Criticism, well constructed or not, isn't a reflection of hatred. The use of critical thinking skills doesn't automatically infer a hatred of someone or something. Anti-semitism is hate. Criticism of the people responsible for one of the worst offenses in college football isn't.
You're wasting your breath, but 100% correct.

Any passionate and HONEST fan is just a fake hater ;)

Better fire that head guy he only went 10 - 2. We set our goals like Nebraska.
Imagine if we could field an avg offense with our elite defense and special teams? Idk how you can support Brian’s OC career and how you agree with Kirk keeping him at that position. I repeat, 104th avg over 5 years. Who else gets that long of a leash?

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Imagine if we could field an avg offense with our elite defense and special teams? Idk how you can support Brian’s OC career and how you agree with Kirk keeping him at that position. I repeat, 104th avg over 5 years. Who else gets that long of a leash?
Well the honest answer is that Brian isn't going anywhere as long as Kirk is HC, regardless of how bad the offense looks. This was the deal that was cut when he hired his son. If you support Kirk, by extension you have to support Brian because they are a package deal. I can only assume that this recognition is what's behind Pistachio's schtick.

Well the honest answer is that Brian isn't going anywhere as long as Kirk is HC, regardless of how bad the offense looks. This was the deal that was cut when he hired his son. If you support Kirk, by extension you have to support Brian because they are a package deal. I can only assume that this recognition is what's behind Pistachio's schtick.
I can appreciate Kirk but also hate this horrible decision of keeping Brian. Anywhere else he would have been gone a could of years ago.

I think it's unfair to use any metric of total yard percentile ranking when discussing the Iowa offense. With the style of play we use (bend but dont break defense and slow methodical ball control offense) we are already at a big disadvantage compared to those that dont. It says nothing about efficiency. Look at Nebraska, always high in total yards between the 20s but cant win games. It's all about efficiency. Reminds me of Wisconsin basketball, slow methodical, plodding offense but is still very effective.

Points per possession/drive should be the biggest statistic that matters for us. It's the "complimentary football" that Kirk talks about repeatedly. I think almost every other stat can be thrown out the window (especially yards per game, passing/rushing/total etc.) We were not good at all last year (104th) and that is unacceptable. This absolutely needs to improve. At least our defense ranked 9th though!

I agree somewhat, that said...go look at the ISU scores. If we get a FG(due to starting field position) and the offense only gains a couple yards should they get any credit for starting in FG range and ending in the same range. If they turn a 50yd FG into a 20yd one, sure. Get credit for 3 pts for gaining a few yards... not really.

No matter how you compare the stats can be misleading either in a good or bad way.

2007​
95​
O'Keefe
2008​
36​
O'Keefe
2009​
79​
O'Keefe
2010​
34​
O'Keefe
2011​
35​
O'Keefe
2012​
116​
Davis
2013​
81​
Davis
2014​
72​
Davis
2015​
46​
Davis
2016​
81​
Davis
2017​
75​
BF
2018​
52​
BF
2019​
74​
BF
2020​
56​
BF
2021​
104​
BF
Stumbled on? I posted it 40 post before yours :p Great minds think alike for sure though

I agree somewhat, that said...go look at the ISU scores. If we get a FG(due to starting field position) and the offense only gains a couple yards should they get any credit for starting in FG range and ending in the same range. If they turn a 50yd FG into a 20yd one, sure. Get credit for 3 pts for gaining a few yards... not really.

No matter how you compare the stats can be misleading either in a good or bad way.
The neat thing about the link I mentioned shows points per possession based on starting position as well. Shows that we score more points per possession when we get the ball at our 20 vs at the 50... Interesting stat!

This has less to do with formation and more to do with PACE. Iowa huddles and utilizes as much time on the clock on ALMOST EVERY snap of the ball.

Furthermore, Iowa's defense plays a bend-but-not break style of D. Thus, the purpose of the D isn't necessarily to force a quick 3-and-out ... but rather, to force the opposing O to have to traverse the entire field using as many snaps as possible. Furthermore, as the field compresses - it can get harder to score ... and ideally the D forces a FG rather than a TD.

Consequently, the TOTAL NUMBER OF POSSESSIONS is limited for BOTH teams. If the number of possessions is limited ... that automatically places some limitations on the yardage that is attainable. It's not uncommon for Iowa's O to have just around 60 offensive snaps per game. Contrast that with other programs that have averages in excess of 80 snaps.

You're absolutely correct that a pro-style O is NOT limited in terms of yardage attainable. Hell, as Iowa's 2002 O demonstrated ... when the stars align for the Hawk O ... the O can not only move the ball well ... but we can also score very efficiently too!

Anyhow, the point I try to make NEVER implies that Iowa doesn't WANT to be efficient scoring. In fact, Iowa's best offenses don't need to compile a lot of yards ... BUT it DOES need to have excellent scoring efficiency!

A point I DO occasionally make is that Iowa can still win games ... even when their O struggles (i.e. when the O isn't super efficient). Therein lies the advantage of complementary football. It makes the program more robust to fluctuations in the quality of offensive play.
As I posted earlier, pace is incredibly important. Imagine trying to compare Iowa's offense in basketball to Wisconsin just using total points. It would make no sense.

Sorry this just sounds like a lot of excuse making. Apparently we were #128 in red zone TD % last year, so the D giving the O a shorter field to work with isn't doing much good.
He's not making excuses for last year. I have yet to see anyone say our offense last year wasn't particularly poor. Nor have I seen anyone say it doesn't need to improve. Homer's point, I believe, is that Iowa is not likely to be a statistical leader, and particularly so in stats that aren't viewed from a per play and/or per possession perspective. Those at least normalize for our style of play.

Still, last year's O was abysmal, but they did suffer a lot of injuries. When you can't field enough linemen to scrimmage mid season, that does not bode well for the offense for any team.

Barring a bunch more O line attrition, I'm cautiously optimistic for this upcoming season.

Sorry this just sounds like a lot of excuse making. Apparently we were #128 in red zone TD % last year, so the D giving the O a shorter field to work with isn't doing much good.
Sure it is, some tools on here tell me that the offense gets credit for all field goals. Doesn't matter where the possession starts or how many/few yards are gained.

This "hater" crap is so lame. It's hard to believe how intellectually bankrupt this society has become. Don't like how so and so does their job? You must be a hater. Think that someone is less than effective and that better options exist? You must be hater.

Give me a fu#%king break. Criticism, well constructed or not, isn't a reflection of hatred. The use of critical thinking skills doesn't automatically infer a hatred of someone or something. Anti-semitism is hate. Criticism of the people responsible for one of the worst offenses in college football isn't.

While I agree with you in general you are wrong in this specific case. There is a small cadre of extremely vocal and demented posters that do hate KF, BF and anything associated with them. They obsessively post attacks on KF and BF. Not criticisms, personal attacks that range from juvenile and stupid snark to accusations of all manner of personal misconduct. They post it on virtually every football topic. They post it in probably most basketball threads. Certainly a lot of basketball threads.

Repeatedly, and often viciously attacking people goes way past criticism. Indeed, obsessively posting the same redundant attacks several times a day, every day is itself a manifestation of hatred. The desire to just beat up the same people day after day for years is pretty much the operational definition of hatred.

There is a point where criticism, even fair criticism, becomes abusive. I don't know what you do for a living so let's say you are a retail/household plumber. If I and say 10 other people went to FB and Yelp, every day for years, and said Jonesy is a shitty plumber, a complete incompetent that is trying to destroy your home plumbing and his #2 guy is so inept he shouldn't even get paid. Every day. For years, I never miss a chance to voice my criticism. After a point wouldn't you think I hated you? Not just pissed about the toilet you didn't fix but actually I see you as the problem.​

That is what actual personal malice looks like. People can and do try to justify it and hell, some of these guys could probably pass a lie detector if asked are Iowa fans. But the constant repetition of the same attacks tells a very different and much more accurate story.

While I agree with you in general you are wrong in this specific case. There is a small cadre of extremely vocal and demented posters that do hate KF, BF and anything associated with them. They obsessively post attacks on KF and BF. Not criticisms, personal attacks that range from juvenile and stupid snark to accusations of all manner of personal misconduct. They post it on virtually every football topic. They post it in probably most basketball threads. Certainly a lot of basketball threads.

Repeatedly, and often viciously attacking people goes way past criticism. Indeed, obsessively posting the same redundant attacks several times a day, every day is itself a manifestation of hatred. The desire to just beat up the same people day after day for years is pretty much the operational definition of hatred.

There is a point where criticism, even fair criticism, becomes abusive. I don't know what you do for a living so let's say you are a retail/household plumber. If I and say 10 other people went to FB and Yelp, every day for years, and said Jonesy is a shitty plumber, a complete incompetent that is trying to destroy your home plumbing and his #2 guy is so inept he shouldn't even get paid. Every day. For years, I never miss a chance to voice my criticism. After a point wouldn't you think I hated you? Not just pissed about the toilet you didn't fix but actually I see you as the problem.​

That is what actual personal malice looks like. People can and do try to justify it and hell, some of these guys could probably pass a lie detector if asked are Iowa fans. But the constant repetition of the same attacks tells a very different and much more accurate story.
TL/DR. Which brings me to my next peeve. Can you ever make a salient point in less than 120 words? Maybe take to Twitter as a conditioning mechanism. 🤔

Reactions: littlez

Vicious attacks?! Oh how scandalous!

Your reaction really proves my point.
I'm sorry if my response was a vicious attack in your eyes.

If you can't handle certain posters then just ignore them and move on. Problem solved. The majority support KF. He makes over $5M a year and is rarely challenged by the local media. If his most vicious critics are some anonymous message board posters then I think he's going to be fine.

I'm sorry if my response was a vicious attack in your eyes.

If you can't handle certain posters then just ignore them and move on. Problem solved. The majority support KF. He makes over $5M a year and is rarely challenged by the local media. If his most vicious critics are some anonymous message board posters then I think he's going to be fine.
th

• Haha
Reactions: CarterHall
I was going to say, 6 yards is a lot of credit. I would have gone 3.

I was going to suggest not running on 2nd down 90+% of the time last year.
We run on 2nd and 10 to set up 3rd and 8. Puts your quarterback in a great position. Do you not know anything?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT