ADVERTISEMENT

****Gonzaga vs Iowa Game Thread****

Game like this will benefit iowa later in the year. All of our games have been at home this year, with 1 tough game. This is a wakeup call that there are better teams out there. Iowa just didn't look ready from the tipoff
It needs to be a wake up call that you need to play like luka joet and Murray! We aren't good enough to not get down and dirty and still play with the best!

Reactions: RocknRollface
Refs are definitely not calling an equal game, looks like it’s 8 on 5 at this point, time for Iowa to get locked in and go win this thing! We need better 3 pt shooting, this thing would be tied at half with some better shooting.

Reactions: truehawkfan45
Down 14 but I think we still have a great chance. Gonzaga can’t keep shooting at that pace and we will heat up. Gonzaga’s lack of playing will likely catch up with them in the second half. I say we pull it out.

Here’s what killed us:

1) Jack Nunge missing 3 freebies & 3 straight misses.
2) Ticky tack refs - the Suggs call combined with the Connor before the shot foul is when the run kicked off
3) Gonzaga having a career 3PT shooting day. I promise you all that Suggs won’t ever again shoot like this

J Bo doesn't have the speed to deal with their pressure defense.
Weiskamp disappears in big games.
Frederick is vital to our offense.
Have to play better defense.
Have to play with better effort.

Reactions: Hammer93
Go ahead and beat up on Nunge but the whole team looks like they're shooting baskets with their eyes closed.

Nunge played well if he had not forced those threes. He is not the best three point shooter on team.

I don't think Fredrick, JoeW, JBo were mentally ready for this game. '

This is the problem with Fran. He doesn't force his guys to play hard enough on defense and relies too much on zone. It isn't hard for a Div1 shooter to get hot when they get wide open looks. They sagged off Suggs too much and let him get hot.

Reactions: Hawkman34
Down 14 but I think we still have a great chance. Gonzaga can’t keep shooting at that pace and we will heat up. Gonzaga’s lack of playing will likely catch up with them in the second half. I say we pull it out.

I hope you’re a public speaker or something similar because this is the most positive shit I’ve ever read. Kudos to you. Go Hawks! We came back from a larger deficit vs Tennessee

1st half has cleared some things up.

Gonzaga is definitely the #1 team in the country

Iowa is definitely not the 3rd best team. Still top 10 I think, but we have defensive issues to say the least.

I’m frustrated like we all are but sometimes you need to tip your hat. Some of those 3’s by Suggs have just been stone cold.

But Nunge and Bohannon need to play less. More Joe T and Fredrick.

Well we couldn't have shot any fuc** worse in the first half and I don't think Gonzaga could shoot much better. Combine that with terrible ball security and sloppy passing and this is what we get. If we could at least somehow get to shots to fall in the second half we can make it respectable. Suggs is prime for the NBA, elite athlete and whines like a bi** about any contact.

Reactions: BBHawk
1st half has cleared some things up.

Gonzaga is definitely the #1 team in the country

Iowa is definitely not the 3rd best team. Still top 10 I think, but we have defensive issues to say the least.

I disagree.
Gonzaga will never shoot like this again.
Iowa will rarely have as poor of a shooting spell as that first half.

Really should be down more but we’re not. Let’s see what they show us this 2nd half.

Gonzaga averages 5 3’s a game and have already made 10. When they are hitting every 3 and Iowa can’t hit anything we are in trouble

This is exactly the opposite of the way this game should be playing out.

Nothing you can do about Gonzaga shooting but there's no excuse for the shots Iowa is taking.

Get good shots and this is a much closer game.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
Nunge played well if he had not forced those threes. He is not the best three point shooter on team.

I don't think Fredrick, JoeW, JBo were mentally ready for this game. '

This is the problem with Fran. He doesn't force his guys to play hard enough on defense and relies too much on zone. It isn't hard for a Div1 shooter to get hot when they get wide open looks. They sagged off Suggs too much and let him get hot.
CJ shouldn't have had 2 fouls...BS! Having him in the 2nd half will be needed. Iowa can make up 14 in a blink if they can get out of transition defense. CJ will help in getting buckets and setting up the defense

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
Geez, it's like some you guys have never watched a basketball game.... Game of runs, Iowa needs to go on one to start the half and they'll be right back in this thing.

Gonzaga is shooting the three the way Iowa's been shooting the three to start the year.... Unconsciously. If they keep that up, yeah the game is over but they start missing and Iowa starts making, it'll be good game yet.

Iowa needs both aspects to be a great, championship team.... consistent Garza and knocking down three's, they're not doing the latter at the moment and with the Zags hot shooting it looks way worse than it is.

Last edited:
I thought Nunge did a decent job inside. It’s when he started jacking up long jumpers that we got in trouble

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT