ADVERTISEMENT

How is OL shufflee with Proctor?

Elsbury is our best center. Stephens needs to get healthy. Dunker at Right Tackle or Guard and Colby at the other spot with Dunker. Proctor at Left Tackle. Your next best guy plays the other guard. I have no idea if it will be Stephens, Jones or a freshman or Soph but I don't want to see Richman or Dejong at all.....
This is the correct answer

Elsbury is our best center. Stephens needs to get healthy. Dunker at Right Tackle or Guard and Colby at the other spot with Dunker. Proctor at Left Tackle. Your next best guy plays the other guard. I have no idea if it will be Stephens, Jones or a freshman or Soph but I don't want to see Richman or Dejong at all.....
You’re wrong on center and will be disappointed on some other points.

Elsbury is our best center. Stephens needs to get healthy. Dunker at Right Tackle or Guard and Colby at the other spot with Dunker. Proctor at Left Tackle. Your next best guy plays the other guard. I have no idea if it will be Stephens, Jones or a freshman or Soph but I don't want to see Richman or Dejong at all...
Richman is a paper towel. That he started at Iowa is a testament to the recent decline of Iowa's OL.

Richman is a paper towel. That he started at Iowa is a testament to the recent decline of Iowa's OL.
3 year starter and marginal improvement at best by richman. Still amazing when in 21’ we won 10 games with richman and dejong as our starting Ts for most of the season. Cupboard was definitely bare at the T position after wirfs and Jackson minus kallneberger for Covid season.

200w.gif
Agree. This doesn't make it elite, but it sure helps to take out the weakest link and replace him with someone who is better than anyone you currently have. It is too much to ask that Iowa have an average B1G offensive line next season?

I think the OL players are there. The real keys are going to be developing some sort of respectable downfield passing game to keep those safeties out of the box, to have some sort of mobility threat with the QB so these DE's can't just rush with reckless abandon with no fear of getting burned and some sort of RPO threat/slant/crossing pattern action to make these linebackers slow down and have to cover somebody. If those things can happen this offensive line, with or without KP, would look a hell of a lot better. Trust me, I am glad he is here, but he can't block 2 or 3 at the same time consistently.

I think the OL players are there. The real keys are going to be developing some sort of respectable downfield passing game to keep those safeties out of the box, to have some sort of mobility threat with the QB so these DE's can't just rush with reckless abandon with no fear of getting burned and some sort of RPO threat/slant/crossing pattern action to make these linebackers slow down and have to cover somebody. If those things can happen this offensive line, with or without KP, would look a hell of a lot better. Trust me, I am glad he is here, but he can't block 2 or 3 at the same time consistently.
This....the wr coach getting let go should tell you where a problem spot was.

Reactions: F5n5 and kceasthawk
The fixes are so obvious it makes you wonder why KF/BF did not at least try to make even a minimal effort to impliment at least some minor adjustments to keep the defense from loading defenders at the line of scrimmage. I realize Hill was about as mobie as a cement truck but the WR routes were predictable and play calling never really altered stale tendencies. A halfway mobile QB together with an updated playbook (just a moderatley updated scheme IMO) will pay dividends because, as you stated, the players are in place to make it work.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
The fixes are so obvious it makes you wonder why KF/BF did not at least try to make even a minimal effort to impliment at least some minor adjustments to keep the defense from loading defenders at the line of scrimmage. I realize Hill was about as mobie as a cement truck but the WR routes were predictable and play calling never really altered stale tendencies. A halfway mobile QB together with an updated playbook (just a moderatley updated scheme IMO) will pay dividends because, as you stated, the players are in place to make it work.

It would make logical sense. However when our OC is asked after he is retained how he plans on improving the offense and he replies in a smug demeanor that they’ll keep doing the same thing but only better you knew we were doomed from the start in 23’.

Elsbury was excellent when Jones went down , He could win that LG spot and go to C if Jones gets hurt or stinks, He is better than Richman and Dejong
Good for Dejong for earning a scholly from a walk on but he’s just not good and shouldn’t be starting on a big 10 team. Staff should’ve told him no on a 6th yr, even if Procter never came. rather take my chances with a younger guy who has a higher ceiling like pieper. With Procter I think chances are lot slimmer he starts. But never know with our staff had him playing over feth to start the year when he was a far better and accomplished player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heathen Raider
Good for Dejong for earning a scholly from a walk on but he’s just not good and shouldn’t be starting on a big 10 team. Staff should’ve told him no on a 6th yr, even if Procter never came. rather take my chances with a younger guy who has a higher ceiling like pieper. With Procter I think chances are lot slimmer he starts. But never know with our staff had him playing over feth to start the year when he was a far better and accomplished player.
Took the words out of my mouth. I too would like to see younger guys rotate in. I can live with growing pains along the Oline if it is 1st year starters or FR/SO types.

However I am completely over growing pains from guys who have played significant amount of snaps for 2+ years.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Dejong is what he is - a serviceable backup B1G guard; nothing more, nothing less. His need to start and have so much playing time at both guard and tackle up to this point has been necessary due to injuries and overall poor personnel. I don't think anyone considers him to be a solid starter with what the team has right now. What we have in Dejong is a #7 or #8 OL on the team with a heck of a lot of experience at multiple positions, which is worth a scholly and a much safer choice than a similar player from the portal. If Iowa is actually able to get another Proctor-level OL (i.e. already better than the other 4 starters) from the portal, Dejong won't be a factor to limit this; someone else will end up transferring who matters even less than Dejong.

Reactions: jerbob36
KP is OT set. I honestly think the rest of the line will be a dogfight, including Jones vs Ellsbury at C. Competition brings out the best in a group, and I think this line is going to be a very good line by the time it's all said and done.

My biggest fears on offense are lack of depth at WR and the QB issue. If Cade isn't healthy, can Marco play his way above Hill for the 2.
WR: Brown, Anderson, Bostick... ? Jarrett B??

I just hope they have it figured out by September rather than 8 games into the season. We've seen that movie before.

You’re wrong on center and will be disappointed on some other points.
I've watched the line play extensively. Jones is not good and Elsbury does a better job. Maybe Jones can play guard but if not I don't see him starting. If he starts at center then our Oline coach is as bad as we think. The proof is in the pudding and our lines have been some of the worst in the last 25 years the last 3 years running. Jones has been the center for 2 of those.

I've watched the line play extensively. Jones is not good and Elsbury does a better job. Maybe Jones can play guard but if not I don't see him starting. If he starts at center then our Oline coach is as bad as we think. The proof is in the pudding and our lines have been some of the worst in the last 25 years the last 3 years running. Jones has been the center for 2 of those.
Remind who played the most snaps the last three games where we scored zero.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT