ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane season has arrived....

How high above sea level? How far from the coast?

Wife’s friend is taking her kids and dog to stay with a friend inland. Her husband is staying at the house. They used to be on Treasure Island, I think they’re across the bridge from Madeira beach now.
He’s dumb to stay. They had water in their house and he was trying to rig the kids’ beds to float for Helene.
House is at 9.5 feet above sea level, and we're about 4 miles inland from the Gulf. We had storm here back in late January the dumped 9-12" on us and the backup barely reached the halfway mark on the driveway; if Ian couldn't kill us, nothing will.

House is at 9.5 feet above sea level, and we're about 4 miles inland from the Gulf. We had storm here back in late January the dumped 9-12" on us and the backup barely reached the halfway mark on the driveway; if Ian couldn't kill us, nothing will.
Not so fast, my friend. Good luck to y’all.

There comes a point when covering a major hurricane event you start looking for good news here or there, anywhere. Unfortunately, there is little of it from the Monday morning models. The tracks remain very close to Tampa Bay, just a little slower. Intensity forecasts continue to predict a growing in size major hurricane (cat 3-5). We have Tuesday to watch for any significant changes, but after that, we start to nowcast, predicting where the core will go.

FSU meteorology grad Bryan Norcross, who became famous during Hurricane Andrew, has some very interesting insights in this segment. One key point is that no one really knows where this is going and that won’t change until the final hours before landfall. He also gives an example from Hurricane Andrew about not getting your hopes up for a sustained weakening due to eye replacement

Hurricane Milton To Strengthen Into Category 5 Storm On Monday

For anyone that might be interested:

BRITISH LOGBOOKS IN UK ARCHIVES17th–19th CENTURIESA survey of the range, selection and suitability of British logbooks and related documents for climatic research Clive Wilkinson Climatic Research Unit, University of East Anglia Norwich, NR4 7TJ United Kingdom E-mail c.w.wilkinson@uea.ac.uk

https://icoads.noaa.gov/reclaim/pdf/Pre-20thC_British_logbooks_report_version_2009_2.pdf

An excerpt from page 6:

ADM 51 (Captains’ Logbooks)The series of captains‟ logbooks run from 1669 to 1853. They comprise 4,563volumes or pieces, each containing between 4 and 10 individual logbooks. There are approximately 25,000 logbooks in total.

Table 1 gives an approximate number of individual logbooks by decade.Decade Logbooks Decade Logbooks1669-1679 130 1770-1779 10011680-1689 227 1780-1789 13111690-1699 956 1790-1799 33901700-1709 1105 1800-1809 73291710-1719 727 1810-1819 22171720-1729 475 1820-1829 7611730-1739 529 1830-1839 8951740-1749 1146 1840-1849 6611750-1759 837 1850-1853 551760-1769 986 Total 24738Table 1. ADM 51-Decadal Range (figures slightly inflated due to year range or decadal overlap in some volumes)
@The Tradition

How many "ships at sea" were covering the entire Atlantic 400 years ago?

And how many survived the really big ones so their data could be delivered to someone and entered into the historical record?
Hundreds. You might be unaware of this, but all the major powers had colonies in the Atlantic and Caribbean. It's rumored that the Spanish visited a s***hole peninsula awhile back, too.

Reactions: Ree4
Alright, flat lander question.....

It's looking likely to hit Tampa right? The models are kinda confirming that? It seems like it's going to nip Mexico at some point tonight(?) might that slow it down?

Once these things hit land do they ever go across Florida and pick up energy in the Atlantic?

Alright, flat lander question.....

It's looking likely to hit Tampa right? The models are kinda confirming that? It seems like it's going to nip Mexico at some point tonight(?) might that slow it down?

Once these things hit land do they ever go across Florida and pick up energy in the Atlantic?

Land interaction might dull it a bit, but they're not forecasting that to happen.

Yes, they can reform in the Atlantic, but this one isn't forecast to do that.

Land interaction might dull it a bit, but they're not forecasting that to happen.

Yes, they can reform in the Atlantic, but this one isn't forecast to do that.
Thanks, I was just doing some reading, sounds like Ian did make it across.

This probably seems like you guys listening to us talk about tornados but I've never really paid attention to hurricanes.

I just remember the name "andrew" when i was a kid.

And you are emblematic of another corner of the room. Someone with a different opinion who has decided that the Earth has no ability to have different weather patterns or go through different conditions that create and eliminate various life forms.
Maybe let us all know what you’re doing to save the Earth. Have you given up the family vehicles?
Turned off your AC? Never buy a bottled water?
Grow your own food without any pesticides?
Just a basic start…I’m curious.
I am actually someone with two friends and their families crashing at my house in Tallahassee with their cars and a boat parked in my backyard, providing comfort to them all as they prepare to lose their homes as a Cat 5 steams their way. I know how they feel having watched a Cat 4 heading my way all of 10 days ago. I may not be as old as you, but I am a scientist and a native of Florida and can tell you this is not good nor is it normal and it absolutely is 100 percent due to sea temperatures rising.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT