ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State just reloaded..

Past recruiting.

SDSU success.

Could be a lifer if things work out, rather than bolting.

He has never had to build a program though. He walked into Mike Daum at SDSU and then went under .500 at UNLV.

Look at KP ranks for each year and the guy hasn't proven anything as a coach.

2016-2017:

Overall- 185
AdjO- 71
AdjD- 303

2017-2018:

Overall- 78
AdjO- 47
AdjD- 150

2018-2019:

Overall- 92
AdjO- 37
AdjD- 183

2019-2020:

Overall- 98
AdjO- 74
AdjD- 133

2020-2021:

Overall- 176
AdjO- 143
AdjD- 217

He has 2 offenses in the top 50 with the best being 37 and hasn't had a defense ranked in the top 100 ever. Big 12 coaches have to be licking their chops to play against his defenses.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
He has never had to build a program though. He walked into Mike Daum at SDSU and then went under .500 at UNLV.

Look at KP ranks for each year and the guy hasn't proven anything as a coach.

2016-2017:

Overall- 185
AdjO- 71
AdjD- 303

2017-2018:

Overall- 78
AdjO- 47
AdjD- 150

2018-2019:

Overall- 92
AdjO- 37
AdjD- 183

2019-2020:

Overall- 98
AdjO- 74
AdjD- 133

2020-2021:

Overall- 176
AdjO- 143
AdjD- 217

He has 2 offenses in the top 50 with the best being 37 and hasn't had a defense ranked in the top 100 ever. Big 12 coaches have to be licking their chops to play against his defenses.
I'm not sure there's too many candidates out there who would be starting out where he's starting out at, after our past season. That's basically rock bottom.

We'll see. Jamie could have gone after an Archie Miller or Pitino (wasn't going to happen with his baggage), and if they succeed--then they bolt.

Unless it's a complete disaster next year, or unbelievable success, neither you or I will be proven right or wrong for 2-3 years.

I'm not sure there's too many candidates out there who would be starting out where he's starting out at, after our past season. That's basically rock bottom.

We'll see. Jamie could have gone after an Archie Miller or Pitino (wasn't going to happen with his baggage), and if they succeed--then they bolt.

Unless it's a complete disaster next year, or unbelievable success, neither you or I will be proven right or wrong for 2-3 years.

But has the roster improved that much? I dont think it has.

Your best player is Gabe Kalscheur right now. He has never even been honorable mention all conference and has started a ton of games in the B1G.

Your best player is Gabe Kalscheur right now. He has never even been honorable mention all conference and has started a ton of games in the B1G.
Triangle--anything is improvement over last season.

Yes, I think it has in terms of size, and hopefully shooting. Hell, can't get any worse.

Unless you're a Pitino or Miller, you're not going to bring in blue chips, especially into our situation. It's going to be a process.

I love the point guard from Wisconsin (Hunter), but it's going to take time. Need Xavier Foster to stick and come back healthy.

In regard to offense vs. defense, of course you need defense. But give me an exciting offense in Hilton to start with, and you get the crowds and enthusiasm back. But, yes, you need D come tourney time, and on the road.

Hire Archie Miller, or Pitino, or Moser, or Alexander, or Pope, or .......

The Archie Miller and Richard Pitino notes are hilarious. I'd MUCH rather have TJ than either of those guys by a mile.

Moser, just no. Good coach but I hate the style. Very skeptical he'll have success at OU.

Alexander? Who are you even talking about here? Casey Alexander? Again, I'd rather have TJ.

Mark Pope from BYU? No way, no midwest recruiting experience.

This list seems designed to find the worst possible candidates actually.

I think they've arguably improved at every position from last season. Granted, not hard to do. Only one even remotely debatable is Bolton to Hunter, and before you say "Iz HuNtEr GoInG to ScoRe 16 pPG?" Well I hope not, I hope the team is better. I think he'll at least be comparable to Bolton last year.

I think they've arguably improved at every position from last season. Granted, not hard to do. Only one even remotely debatable is Bolton to Hunter, and before you say "Iz HuNtEr GoInG to ScoRe 16 pPG?" Well I hope not, I hope the team is better. I think he'll at least be comparable to Bolton last year.

Who is better than Coleman Lands and Young that projects to start next season?

Triangle--anything is improvement over last season.

Yes, I think it has in terms of size, and hopefully shooting. Hell, can't get any worse.

Unless you're a Pitino or Miller, you're not going to bring in blue chips, especially into our situation. It's going to be a process.

I love the point guard from Wisconsin (Hunter), but it's going to take time. Need Xavier Foster to stick and come back healthy.

In regard to offense vs. defense, of course you need defense. But give me an exciting offense in Hilton to start with, and you get the crowds and enthusiasm back. But, yes, you need D come tourney time, and on the road.

I never said it isn't improved, I just dont think it has as much as ISU fans are thinking it has.

It is still one of the least talented rosters in the Big 12, 9th at best, with one of the worst head coaches in the conference.

Who is better than Coleman Lands and Young that projects to start next season?

I think Kalscheur will be better or comparable than JCL and I think Foster will be better than Young. JCL ended up shooting a pretty decent percentage but was a poor defender. Young was a pretty reliable scorer but was a poor defender and one of the worst rebounding big men you'll ever find. ISU was the worst rebounding team in the entire country last year and he was a big part of it.

Again, I could be wrong and my expectations are pretty low for next year.

Who is Otz clearly better than in the conference?

No clue because we don't know yet.

Let me ask you this: Where do you think Fran ranks in the Big 10?

Because after the loss to Oregon, there were a LOT of people on here that said he should be gone.

Because after the loss to Oregon, there were a LOT of people on here that said he should be gone.
Fresh off that there are always hot heads.

I'll bet there were IL fans that wanted Underwood gone after their loss, too.

Middle of the pack in the B1G for Fran.

Tiers would look something like:

Izzo, Howard, Painter

Fran, Underwood, Hoiberg, Gard, Pikeill, Turgeon, Holtmann

Collins, Johnson, Woodson, Shrewsberry

I don't follow closely, why did Leath veto him last time?
This is a great question. Some rumors were because he was the “bag man” so didn’t want that as the head coach. But I have no info just rumors. But he surely hasn’t done a lot since then as a HC to justify the 10M they needed to pay to get him now. The guy can recruit though. No argument there.

This is a great question. Some rumors were because he was the “bag man” so didn’t want that as the head coach. But I have no info just rumors. But he surely hasn’t done a lot since then as a HC to justify the 10M they needed to pay to get him now. The guy can recruit though. No argument there.
So he went somewhere else and was average so the administration determined he wasn’t a bag man anymore? 😜

Reactions: Hkfan23
Umm, we have a different President. I know that’s above your pay grade to comprehend.
Nice jab, wonder if that is why I used ‘administration’ rather than Leath like I used in my original question. Unless you are trying to say your current President lacks the ethics and backbone of Leath.

The Archie Miller and Richard Pitino notes are hilarious. I'd MUCH rather have TJ than either of those guys by a mile.

Moser, just no. Good coach but I hate the style. Very skeptical he'll have success at OU.

Alexander? Who are you even talking about here? Casey Alexander? Again, I'd rather have TJ.

Mark Pope from BYU? No way, no midwest recruiting experience.

This list seems designed to find the worst possible candidates actually.
A guy sees what he wants to see, that's for sure.

Reactions: TrianglePlace
I think Kalscheur will be better or comparable than JCL and I think Foster will be better than Young. JCL ended up shooting a pretty decent percentage but was a poor defender. Young was a pretty reliable scorer but was a poor defender and one of the worst rebounding big men you'll ever find. ISU was the worst rebounding team in the entire country last year and he was a big part of it.

Guy isn't an improvement over any of the starting guys you had last year. His PER was a 9.2 last year. He's never been over 12 in his career. JCL was a 14.7 for reference. He also had a worse defensive rating than JCL and Harris. The guy came in 3 years ago as a freshman and shot really well from 3 and for some reason, that has stuck with everyone. The last 2 years, he has shot under 30% from 3. He can't drive, defend, or rebound.

Imagine being excited about this roster and a sub .500 Mountain West coach....LOL

A guy sees what he wants to see, that's for sure.

Pitino and Archie Miller suck. That's just not even really debatable. I'd take a chance on just about anybody over them.

Alexander and Pope have literally zero midwest recruiting experience. It is hard to draw talent to ISU from other regions, especially where they have been coaching. You have to be able to get dudes and that would be a huge, huge question mark.

Moser I would get. However, his play style caused a few of his good returning players to transfer. They had a good week last week on the recruiting trail but they'll be an ISU level team next year.

For the record, I wanted to Devries as well.

Pitino and Archie Miller suck. That's just not even really debatable. I'd take a chance on just about anybody over them.

Alexander and Pope have literally zero midwest recruiting experience. It is hard to draw talent to ISU from other regions, especially where they have been coaching. You have to be able to get dudes and that would be a huge, huge question mark.

Moser I would get. However, his play style caused a few of his good returning players to transfer. They had a good week last week on the recruiting trail but they'll be an ISU level team next year.

Oklahoma will be better than ISU. Just like the past 2 seasons, TCU/KSU/ISU will battle for the 8-10 spots in conference next season.

Miller sucks, yet is a better recruiter and has shown a better coaching acumen than TJ, who is good. Got it.

Miller and Pitino would be disasters in Ames, Iowa.

ISU isn't in a position they can just get any name. What they really need is guys that understand the area and culture and how to recruit to it. So far TJ has connected with players and has decent talent coming in (especially after such a terrible last two years). So if he can't do too much with it in the first 2-3 years then I'm not convinced he's the guy.

• Haha

Because he scored a whopping 7 points against the Hawks?

Yikes

Past recruiting.

SDSU success.

Could be a lifer if things work out, rather than bolting.
A lifer like Chizik or a lifer like Rhoads? Or maybe a lifer like Hoiberg and Sanderson.

Probably need to lock up Pollfraud he is so amazing.

Now this thread has come full circle since Bolton transferring to ISU started the reloading.

Win/win for the player and ISU here. ISU fans didnt want him and are convinced they will be better without him and Bolton will finally get to play in the NCAA tournament.

Now this thread has come full circle since Bolton transferring to ISU started the reloading.

Win/win for the player and ISU here. ISU fans didnt want him and are convinced they will be better without him and Bolton will finally get to play in the NCAA tournament.

Nobody ever questioned his talent. A lot of people questioned whether he was being used correctly and whether he was a team player. He was out of position at PG, kind of a turnover machine. Nobody but the new coach and his teammates know why he was disinvited to return. Sounds like he landed in a good place. More power to him.

Miller couldn't manage a winning conference record at INDIANA. The dude is not good. He wouldn't make my top 100 candidates for the job.
But TJ finished with the same record against worst competition, all while recruiting worse. Yes, I know Miller sucks, but he appears better than TJ right now.

TJ wanted to be in Ames - as well as his wife. That counts for a lot. He is a proven recruiter in the upper Midwest. That counts for a lot. The big question is player development + coaching. Time will tell on the coaching, but he seems to be doing a good job so far with getting players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT