ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State just reloaded..

Teams that are as bad as ISU always have fans that feel they are only a player or two from being competitive.

It's hard for that program to be worse than they were last season. In that respect, Oodleberger is in a good spot. 6-8 wins next year will be considered an improvement.
No, it won't.

Reactions: David1979
How many people here remember the night Orr brought in his Michigan team to the Fieldhouse and set up a mock picnic setting in front of their bench symbolizing how easy it was for Michigan to come to Iowa City and win? Even I got a chuckle out of that one. Not sure Lute did, however.
I think you have the story wrong. What happened was that when Johnny was asked how he felt about taking ISU into the Field House for the first time, he joked that when he was at Michigan, he thought of it as going on a picnic. So when he and the ISU team came out to warm up for the game, somebody had put a picnic basket in front of their bench. Johnny and Lute both got a huge kick out of it.

Here's Iowa State reloading...

tenor.gif

I think you have the story wrong. What happened was that when Johnny was asked how he felt about taking ISU into the Field House for the first time, he joked that when he was at Michigan, he thought of it as going on a picnic. So when he and the ISU team came out to warm up for the game, somebody had put a picnic basket in front of their bench. Johnny and Lute both got a huge kick out of it.
You're right LC. Too many years, too many roasted brain cells.

I seem to remember Lute making a comment to the affect, "we will see what we can serve them". Hence, the picnic table. Iowa won big.

I seem to remember Lute making a comment to the affect, "we will see what we can serve them". Hence, the picnic table. Iowa won big.
Yeah, I think the pep squad did it. But it was a good gag that didn't piss off anybody. Iowa did win big; Hawks were very good that season and ISU was horrid.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Two conference seasons over .500 in 14 years. 3 NCAA tournament wins in 14 years. I admit I did like the guy.
That wouldn't have flown with today's expanded television coverage. Orr didn't win that many games on the road, but could regularly get the team "up" for knocking off anyone at home. Thus, the fans "saw" a higher percentage win rate than what the overall statistics support, including many wins against highly ranked teams. If you didn't have to spend too much time around him drinking, he was a lot of fun to be around.

Reactions: NI hawk
TJ thinks he can fix the shot. If he can, that's a huge get. He obviously thinks he can unlock Enaruna's potential. If he can, he's a huge get. ISU needed a guy his size at the very least. Kunc is a solid, taller perimeter player. Grill and Jones are team/culture guys. This ISU team needed bodies and basically every one of these guys will contribute in a positive way to the team next year.
That’s all just isu homer conjecture.

Reactions: TrianglePlace
How is being hopefully about about possible recruits delusional? I’m trying to be unbiased here, but I think TJO and that staff know more about basketball and recruiting than everyone on this board. It’s not like they are just handing out offers to every able bodied transfer out there right now.
However, from the outside it kind of looks as if isu just wanted some new hoops ‘bodies’ in a hurry.

TJ wanted to be in Ames - as well as his wife. That counts for a lot. He is a proven recruiter in the upper Midwest. That counts for a lot. The big question is player development + coaching. Time will tell on the coaching, but he seems to be doing a good job so far with getting players.

Yeah but but but but he had a losing record last year.

And 7 post season appearances, which hadn't happened in a long time, and attendance skyrocketed...and Hilton Magic originated.

Idiotic point you're trying to make.

Hilton Magic? LOL. What are you, like 14 years old?

He was barely over .500 overall and won just over 40% of his conference games.

Hilton Magic? LOL. What are you, like 14 years old?

He was barely over .500 overall and won just over 40% of his conference games.
Late April and early May has been when isu basketball has done its best work for several years now. Too bad it hasn’t translated to winning games on the court.

But the isu dopes keep falling for it right up until Lucy pulls the ball away from them once again.

7191 posts...and all 7191 call ISU fans names.

Look up TavernHawk in dictionary, and your picture is there. Must feel good.
Not even close. Must be awesome to be better than Iowa at Women’s Cross-Country and Volleyball.

In the dictionary under little brother they have the I-State logo. Imagine that.

Yeah, you're right, none of the stuff I mentioned existed. And, you're right, college analysts across the country never mention Hilton Magic--it's just something only ISU fans know about. And, you're right, taking a program from Ken Trickey and making regular post season tournaments was nothing special. And, you're right to not mention how incredibly tough the Big 8 was back then--which is why we got in to the tourney with a 5-9 conference record.

Gee, you're about the smartest college basketball fan I know.

Nice finish to your season against that school you guys never bring up now that you lost to them, but made fun of them prior to climax to your Final 4 season.

Triggered

Reactions: HerkyFan
Yeah, you're right, none of the stuff I mentioned existed. And, you're right, college analysts across the country never mention Hilton Magic--it's just something only ISU fans know about. And, you're right, taking a program from Ken Trickey and making regular post season tournaments was nothing special. And, you're right to not mention how incredibly tough the Big 8 was back then--which is why we got in to the tourney with a 5-9 conference record.

Gee, you're about the smartest college basketball fan I know.

Nice finish to your season against that school you guys never bring up now that you lost to them, but made fun of them prior to climax to your Final 4 season.
2-22 and winless at home in the conference is “magical”.

Reactions: TrianglePlace
Back on topic.....

ISU got better today with Brockington transfer. TJ is doing exactly what he needs to do - acquire talent. Like I have said before, time will tell on the coaching + player development aspect - but getting players is the main thing. He is using the transfer portal to his advantage. Over time, I don't think they will rely on it as much, but this year it made a lot of sense to go this route.

I'm sure some (one in particular) will have a not-so-original comment about ISU -and that's fine. Fire away. Its obvious that TJ will get ISU bball competitive again sooner rather than later.

Yep this April/May isn’t any different than the last 4 and clown fans are super excited once again.

$10 million dollar man is awesome.

Let's cut through the fat here. Cyclone fans, no matter how good their teams are, get all lathered up in the off season. Always! Hell yeah they reloaded they do every year! They send dudes out, and bring more in. Hell, if they bring in a grad transfer, they call him a one and done. They have players come and go, forever a Cyclone. Hell, they want about 20 jerseys hung from the rafters, why, cause they liked them. Clone fans wonder why they're laughed at, go read your damn board!

Let's cut through the fat here. Cyclone fans, no matter how good their teams are, get all lathered up in the off season. Always! Hell yeah they reloaded they do every year! They send dudes out, and bring more in. Hell, if they bring in a grad transfer, they call him a one and done. They have players come and go, forever a Cyclone. Hell, they want about 20 jerseys hung from the rafters, why, cause they liked them. Clone fans wonder why they're laughed at, go read your damn board!
Yeah...kind of reminds me of Nebraska football fans...always ‘winning’ the off-season.

Reactions: HerkyFan
Back on topic.....

ISU got better today with Brockington transfer. TJ is doing exactly what he needs to do - acquire talent. Like I have said before, time will tell on the coaching + player development aspect - but getting players is the main thing. He is using the transfer portal to his advantage. Over time, I don't think they will rely on it as much, but this year it made a lot of sense to go this route.

I'm sure some (one in particular) will have a not-so-original comment about ISU -and that's fine. Fire away. Its obvious that TJ will get ISU bball competitive again sooner rather than later.
Depends on your definition of “competitive”? If isu starts winning more than 2 games on an annual basis, then...yes, I agree they r competitive:)

Depends on your definition of “competitive”? If isu starts winning more than 2 games on an annual basis, then...yes, I agree they r competitive:)
Being the best 2 win team in the country has to count for something.

I honestly don’t remember Brockington playing for Penn State. Did he have good game(s) vs Iowa?

He had 20+ in the game we played at The Palestra.

Another low efficiency guy. TJ has basically built his starting lineup with a bunch or guys that would be the 3rd or 4th options on a good team.

• Haha
Reactions: weeterkane
He had 20+ in the game we played at The Palestra.

Another low efficiency guy. TJ has basically built his starting lineup with a bunch or guys that would be the 3rd or 4th options on a good team.

His offensive rating is higher than any player Iowa has returning other than JBo. He wasn't inefficient. Not a good shooter, sure, but he's just fine on an efficiency level.

When TJ was hired I said he needed to basically replace the entire roster. He's basically done it. Is it a perfect roster? Absolutely not, but they'll be competitive next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT