ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa vs Creighton Game Thread*****

We’re from Providence
dumb-and-dumber-to-first-official-photo-of-harry-and-lloyd-preview.jpg

Well, we covered. But I hate Creighton more than ever. To the point that I called my buddy a douchebag bandwagon fan.

He said I was acting as a sanctimonious hawkeye fan when I mentioned the fans booing and McD bitching to refs about clock stoppage.

I said "yeah, I remember you being a Bluejay fan in h.s." - He wasn't

• Love
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Creighton is not the eighth best team in the nation. Limit Alexander and they don't have much.

Yes and no. They certainly played really well tonight. That 1st half was some of the most entertaining basketball I've watched in some time.

This Iowa team is going to have some fun wins this year and some growing pains.

Really impressed with the freshmen

I wish CBB wasn't so hard to watch. Reffing has been atrocious for awhile now.
Even if you don't blame officiating or even question it - ever, it seems in some people's cases - it does seem just the tiniest bit weird that the game started out with Iowa having 6 or 7 fouls called on them before Creighton picked up its first.

Both teams played almost the exact same way in the first half - both in style and effort - so what did Iowa do that drew that many more whistles than CU?

Honest question.

Creighton’s senior‘s experience made a difference too. Getting hot to start the 2nd half was perfect for them. We could not get the initiative after that. A great learning game for our youngsters and our seniors should be upset and renew their push for success for this team. We have some very good pieces and should be much improved late in the year. Facing a top ten team this early should help us.

Reactions: Gus is dead
Even if you don't blame officiating or even question it - ever, it seems in some people's cases - it does seem just the tiniest bit weird that the game started out with Iowa having 6 or 7 fouls called on them before Creighton picked up its first.

Both teams played almost the exact same way in the first half - both in style and effort - so what did Iowa do that drew that many more whistles than CU?

Honest question.
But it wasn’t the same style. CU shot lots of threes, but was slashing to the hole more than Iowa early. Lots of jump shots (many of which Krikke was hitting). Foul balance changed when IA started driving to the hole more.

This Iowa team shows toughness on both ends of the floor.......they are very young. They will be a much better team at the end of the season then they are now.........I like this team.

Reactions: Hans81
Pretty clear Freeman should start
you are suggesting Krikke come off the bench?

I like Freeman and Dimbele both for upgraded defense/rebounding as a rotational tool. If Krikke brings that type of offense he had vs Creighton, it would be hard to not start him. We know Pmac is going to start.

A. Limiting Alexander will be difficult for most teams. B. They've got an efficient post presence that's good on both ends of the floor and shooters all over. Would be surprised if they are not top 20 at the end of the season.
They lack a good PG.

After seeing Alexander do it all night long, I wanna know how many euro steps are actually legal and not travels.

Someone walk me through it.

Because as I see it, you're taking a step as you bring the ball up to one side - to fake the defender out - and then taking another step as you bring the ball back to the other side before going up for a layup or shot.

Is two steps without dribbling, after picking the dribble up, not traveling in the rule book?

After seeing Alexander do it all night long, I wanna know how many euro steps are actually legal and not travels.

Because as I see it, you're taking a step as you bring the ball up to one side - to fake the defender out - and then taking another step as you bring the ball back to the other side before going up for a layup or shot.

Is two steps without dribbling, after picking the dribble up, not traveling in the rule book?
No, because your second step is your pivot foot, so as long as you don't come back down with the ball, you're fine.

You get two steps after picking the ball up. He was not traveling, just taking long slow steps.

I always felt that too, with both the Euro step and the step back three as well, yet both are firmly entrenched in the game.

I don't like the talk of trying to downplay Creighton being worthy of their rank.

Iowa - aside from the usual defensive lapses, Fran's sub patterns causing some head-scratching & a couple short scoring droughts - showed out well vs a very good team on their home floor.

I'm not at all discouraged about the team's potential after what we saw tonight.

Pleasant surprises were Krikke's mid-range game and Dembele's 3pt shooting. And as proved in the first half, when they try, the boys can actually play a little bit of effective defense.

Honest question.
Things look suspicious as ever in the sports officiating world, but I try not to go down that road much.

I always felt that too, with both the Euro step and the step back three as well, yet both are firmly entrenched in the game.
The step back 3s are usually a travel anymore. You can definitely do it without traveling but why bother when you can get away with 3 or 4 steps now.

Same with the euro step. When Ginobli first brought that move to the NBA he was not traveling with it and it was amazing to watch.

Now they just allow 3 steps in the NBA for some reason. It cheapens the game.

The step back 3s are usually a travel anymore. You can definitely do it without traveling but why bother when you can get away with 3 or 4 steps now.

Same with the euro step. When Ginobli first brought that move to the NBA he was not traveling with it and it was amazing to watch.

Now they just allow 3 steps in the NBA for some reason. It cheapens the game.
Its gotten so bad, a few years ago during a game, Westbrook literally walked an inbounds quite a few steps up the court while holding the ball against his hip and the refs didn't seem to notice until Durant started berserk screaming at them about it.

That's one of those things you're not likely to ever forget after seeing it.

Minus the first 8 minutes of the second half, Iowa looked like a solid. Fran calling a few timeouts early in the second half (something he is not know for) and subbing in Harding and Freeman really helped gather the team and spark a comeback.

Creighton did go into run the clock offense with about 6 minutes left and it almost cost them the game.

bluejays are a good team. Iowa individual and team D is still subpar.
Overall an entertaining game. Not a bad showing at all for a middle of the pack big ten squad on the road against one of the best in the big east.

Did you not see his head bounce off the court? The concussion policy isn’t for football only…
I wrote that comment during the game when I noticed Payton hadn't returned to the floor after several minutes of game clock had passed. He went back out there like 1 minute after I posted this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT