ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa vs Nebraska Game Thread*****

Kirk must be an emotional mess...it's alright once in a while, but not every game. Well, that was a great season, record-wise! It will look a lot better in the record books a few years from now!

We complain about our offense, but let's face it, there are some other pretty poor offenses in the West. I think the last two games have given Michigan or Ohio State a blueprint on how to beat our defense, not that they probably need it, but the ball should be in the air quite a bit next week.
I got a feeling Kirk was about ready to hang it up but now there is no chance of Brian succeeding him. Makes him weepy.

Meeder doesn’t have the distance Steven’s has. We need Steven’s to perform a self cranial anal extraction because we are going to need him.
He hit a 51-yarder last year for CMU. Took a little off that one and probably wouldn't have had the distance from 40 yards, but I like the decision to kick high after the blocks earlier in the game. If he becomes our guy, I think he will do very well.

that’s not disrespect it’s coaching to win. drews body language and expression (this was after either his 2nd missed fg or kickoff) pretty much made it clear he had zero confidence in himself.
he’s made big kicks before needs to find that zone again
Agreed. Overbearing parents of athletes never work out well and inevitably end up saying things on social media that only make things worse. Exhibit A right here.

Drew has made a bunch of great kicks for the Hawks and deserves a lot of credit for that. I hope he gets his mojo back.

But:

1. He has struggled with bad misses over the last few games.

2. Snaps may have been bad and contributed, but he had 2 extremely low kicks on very short attempts that led to the blocks.

3. He had kicked TWO KO’s out of bounds — really inexcusable for a D1 kicker.

As noted above, his confidence had to be at a low point. Just strategically speaking, it made sense to give the back-up a shot, as he didn’t have any of the mental/emotional baggage that was plaguing Drew today.

Solid call by the staff, and entirely defensible. Disrespect, my ass.

Last edited:
Do you think for one second that decision wasn’t discussed with Kf and ultimately given the ok by him?
This. Anyone who thinks that at some point during the half, or after that Kirk and Levar didn't discuss this possibility is clueless. At minimum, I'm sure Kirk asked Levar if the kid would be ready if called on. There is no other way that goes down, and Levar would run him out there with out having had that conversation.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
This graphic is savage. Check the two banners in the background.

You absolutely love to see it.

F_udZmQW4AAIzF5

Do you think for one second that decision wasn’t discussed with Kf and ultimately given the ok by him?
No. But LW could have told KF that he wasn't comfortable sending the backup out there in a clutch situation like that for his first attempt of the year, and KF likely wouldn't have overruled him. Not taking anything away from KF; just giving credit to LW, as he is ST coach.

I hate the social media world. An upset person can blurt out something in a moment of frustration and it is saved for eternity for everyone to read. I am glad it didn’t exist when I was younger.
Amen to that. I don't know the Stevens family at all, but in the minds of Hawkeye fans, they will be defined by this Tweet for eternity, much like how Fant's brother's social media posts soured it with the fan base.

Even classier.

And well-reasoned.

Go ahead and find a worse 10-win team and provide a cogent defense of your position, and we can discuss like grown-ups. Guessing you’re either too drunk or too dense to tackle that task.

News flash: Iowa > your team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT