ADVERTISEMENT

*****Rutgers vs Iowa Game Thread*****

Probably. Bowen handles the ball pretty well, can play defense but he doesn't have a lot of offense. I think Bowen still has some upside if he sticks around. Not sold on Harding. Harding won't be a bust but he is so tiny he's always going to be a defensive liablity.
What happened to all the hype at the beginning of the season?

Lulz

A win is a win!

Roasted_Tomato_Salsa_with_Homemade_Chips.jpg

I enjoyed it. Love the dunks and contests at the rim, something you never see in the woman's game.

Don't mind at all Fran going all red face. Players were starting to get sloppy at the end with the game well in hand. A bad habit to get into. Play the whole game like it matters. Fran was right to ride some butt for future games.

Probably true. Can't be happy about Harding picking up his dribble at the end there and then Dix doing the same next possession.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Good win Fran. Ya passed up Dr. Tom
Probably. Bowen handles the ball pretty well, can play defense but he doesn't have a lot of offense. I think Bowen still has some upside if he sticks around. Not sold on Harding. Harding won't be a bust but he is so tiny he's always going to be a defensive liablity.
Agree, but Bowen has taken it to next level compared to last year. I'm hoping he improves his drive and kick + become better 3 pt shooter... he has potential.

Mostly a very good game, except at the end of both halves. Josh Dix is a much better player than the stats show, almost the antithesis of Patrick as a player. Much better flow to the offense and pretty solid team defense except for a few lapses. Owen Freeman knows how to move and present himself for a pass in the post incredibly well for a freshman. I wish Tony wouldn't cancel his great plays with the bonehead plays he makes now and then. Tough game for Harding, but he will be a good PG. Almost a must win, as is Nebby, if Iowa wants to be in the middle of the B1G.

you mean Harding, 10 second call? picked up his dribble too soon
I know you have no love for Harding, it's too bad you never got to see him at Moline, but carry on with your hate. We all know he does need to gain strength and add some weight.
Anyone from this area has to be disappointed with how Brock is shooting the ball, totally unusual for Harding to struggle like he has up to the point. Harding is the only scholarship point guard on the roster, but Fran continues to allow shooting guards and small forwards to play the position. In the end, it will end up the same as it has for the last 14 years.

Definitely a must win to avoid a headline grabbing start to league season a la Pistons.

We finally shot the ball well throughout the game.

As the Dead sang " we need a miracle evry game"

I know you have no love for Harding, it's too bad you never got to see him at Moline, but carry on with your hate. We all know he does need to gain strength and add some weight.
Anyone from this area has to be disappointed with how Brock is shooting the ball, totally unusual for Harding to struggle like he has up to the point. Harding is the only scholarship point guard on the roster, but Fran continues to allow shooting guards and small forwards to play the position. In the end, it will end up the same as it has for the last 14 years.
Bowen is coming along as a point guard. Harding will be good too. Not trying to bag on PMac but the team played much better w/o him on the court. He is a liability on both ends of the court with the amount of minutes he gets. He should be a rotational player and only spot minutes until he decides to be aggressive on both ends of the court or come off the bench to spell players until they are ready to come back in.

Don't hate the kid, I know he has value. But the folks from Moline / QC who have obviously seen him play great HS ball seem to think it will automatically translate to Big10. I know he was Illinois Mr. bball, but not sure deserved. I'm sure there were better players from inner city Chicago who were much better. But his team won the big boy tourney, which for a school outside of Chicago is a helluva accomplishment. I wonder if he would have won it if not playing with Freeman. Teams probably double/triple teamed Freeman which allowed Harding to get a lot of open looks and driving lanes.

My point is I hope he vastly improves his shooting and decision making and becomes a great Hawk. But people need to calm down thinking he's the savior and the best pg since bj.

BJ didn't do much as a freshmen either by the way and yes Brock had a lot of open looks and drives to the hoop but he shot much better then what he is now. Moline was loaded with players that had lots of experience so it wasn't just the Owen and Brock show by any means, but too your point, probably Moline would not have won the 4A championship without both Owen and Braden transferring from Bradley Bourbonnais.
Brock still finished his high school career as the all time scoring and assist leader at Moline as a 4 year starter and was almost every game the best player on the floor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohawkeye
Don't hate the kid, I know he has value. But the folks from Moline / QC who have obviously seen him play great HS ball seem to think it will automatically translate to Big10. I know he was Illinois Mr. bball, but not sure deserved. I'm sure there were better players from inner city Chicago who were much better. But his team won the big boy tourney, which for a school outside of Chicago is a helluva accomplishment. I wonder if he would have won it if not playing with Freeman. Teams probably double/triple teamed Freeman which allowed Harding to get a lot of open looks and driving lanes.

My point is I hope he vastly improves his shooting and decision making and becomes a great Hawk. But people need to calm down thinking he's the savior and the best pg since bj.
Never heard the bolded or read it on this board. BTW I am not from Moline/QC. As I said the other day, he is only a freshman give it some time and see what happens.

I give Harding a bit more leeway since he is a freshman but definitely do think he'll always have a bit of trouble on defense.

Bowen just dribbles to much and stalls the offense. Also dribbles too deep and into trouble too often. Gets up in the air with nowhere to go.

Bowen definitely has upside and he should be getting more minutes instead of Patrick. I think the lack of minutes are going to make him hit the portal after the season.

I give Harding a bit more leeway since he is a freshman but definitely do think he'll always have a bit of trouble on defense.

Bowen just dribbles to much and stalls the offense. Also dribbles too deep and into trouble too often. Gets up in the air with nowhere to go.

Bowen definitely has upside and he should be getting more minutes instead of Patrick. I think the lack of minutes are going to make him hit the portal after the season.
I hope not, with Perkins probably moving on next year he definitely has plenty of playing time coming his way at both the point and shoot guard positions.

I give Harding a bit more leeway since he is a freshman but definitely do think he'll always have a bit of trouble on def

Could say the exact same thing of Harding. Maybe a coaching issue.

I hope not, with Perkins probably moving on next year he definitely has plenty of playing time coming his way at both the point and shoot guard positions.
I hope not either. I see his upside for sure. He's still an underclassmen. If he can improve some decision making and his jump shot in the next 2 1/2 years, he will be very solid.

With Dix and Harding, I'm not sure there's room for Bowen but definitely could be wrong.

Could say the exact same thing of Harding. Maybe a coaching issue.
Definitely Harding dribbles even more but like I said, he's a freshman so I give him more of a pass at this point.

I hope not either. I see his upside for sure. He's still an underclassmen. If he can improve some decision making and his jump shot in the next 2 1/2 years, he will be very solid.

With Dix and Harding, I'm not sure there's room for Bowen but definitely could be wrong.
If Bowen transfers out after this year and lands with a team/coach that actually values the guard positions, which is pretty much every coach besides Fran, I believe we’re all going to be pretty dam disappointed. This board had a pretty unfavorable view of joeT while at Iowa, ended up on a couple teams after leaving where he was actually utilized in the correct way and suddenly he’s producing. Interesting, no?

If Bowen transfers out after this year and lands with a team/coach that actually values the guard positions, which is pretty much every coach besides Fran, I believe we’re all going to be pretty dam disappointed. This board had a pretty unfavorable view of joeT while at Iowa, ended up on a couple teams after leaving where he was actually utilized in the correct way and suddenly he’s producing. Interesting, no?
Need to keep Bowen. Without Perkins, we need a veteran leader in the backcourt.

If Tony leaves, there is plenty of time for Dix, Bowen, and Harding. Dix strictly 2, except emergencies. Harding strictly PG. Bowen either. I think Pryce could also play a little 2. I think this is one guard less than I would want on the roster, which is why I would be looking for an experienced guard who is either a PG or a combo guard. Anyone gets hurt without another guard, and we would be in trouble. Doesn't have to be a star, just a guy who knows how to play and help run an offense. It never hurts to have 2 PGs on the court at a time. In Iowa's offense, ball movement is critical.

I think Hawks will be fine at pg for the next 2/3 years. Sandaforts, Dix are our sharp shooters. We need a back up to Freeman next year. Mulvey is redshirting and maybe he can hang for 10 minutes a game, but I doubt it. Dembele should replace Krikke at PF. Would love to see Fran bring in some muscle,

I think Hawks will be fine at pg for the next 2/3 years. Sandaforts, Dix are our sharp shooters. We need a back up to Freeman next year. Mulvey is redshirting and maybe he can hang for 10 minutes a game, but I doubt it. Dembele should replace Krikke at PF. Would love to see Fran bring in some muscle,
2024 recruits, Koch and Tadjo are both 4's, or maybe big 3s, and Koch should be ready for minutes. Not so sure about Tadjo. I think Dembele can play some back up minutes at 5. He just needs to gain confidence and learn to use the muscle he already has. Having only 2 PGs is a risky move. One gets injured, and you are using a guy, who isn't really a PG. The Sandforts and Dix can handle the wing positions, and Bowen can play some 2. I don't like anyone except Harding and Bowen at PG on the current roster, assuming Tony is gone.

2024 recruits, Koch and Tadjo are both 4's, or maybe big 3s, and Koch should be ready for minutes. Not so sure about Tadjo. I think Dembele can play some back up minutes at 5. He just needs to gain confidence and learn to use the muscle he already has. Having only 2 PGs is a risky move. One gets injured, and you are using a guy, who isn't really a PG. The Sandforts and Dix can handle the wing positions, and Bowen can play some 2. I don't like anyone except Harding and Bowen at PG on the current roster, assuming Tony is gone.
I’m really hoping we pick up a good wing (more guard than forward) in the portal, especially if TP leaves.

I’m really hoping we pick up a good wing (more guard than forward) in the portal, especially if TP leaves.
I would much prefer a combo guard, in case one of our PGs is out for a period of time. Dix and the Sandfort bro's are quality wings. Bowen and Harding can also play at the same time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT