ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Toussaint Appreciation Thread

Shame he had to sit last 8 minutes of the game for no good reason. Would’ve had a double double if he got back in most likely. Meanwhile coaches son Connor who has done nothing tonight let alone all year plays last 13:30 of the game. Where would we have been with out Connor’s 0-1 from the floor 1-2 from ft, 1 reb, 1 asst and 3 fouls. With that stat line no wonder Fran kept him in rest of the game…..

Shame he had to sit last 8 minutes of the game for no good reason. Would’ve had a double double if he got back in most likely. Meanwhile coaches son Connor who has done nothing tonight let alone all year plays last 13:30 of the game. Where would we have been with out Connor’s 0-1 from the floor 1-2 from ft, 1 reb, 1 asst and 3 fouls. With that stat line no wonder Fran kept him in rest of the game.

Is this one of those where Fran forgot to put him back in?

Shame he had to sit last 8 minutes of the game for no good reason. Would’ve had a double double if he got back in most likely. Meanwhile coaches son Connor who has done nothing tonight let alone all year plays last 13:30 of the game. Where would we have been with out Connor’s 0-1 from the floor 1-2 from ft, 1 reb, 1 asst and 3 fouls. With that stat line no wonder Fran kept him in rest of the game…..

You forgot the sweet turnover where he cried to the ref and Maryland took it down for a layup.

Sorry to bring up bad plays, but he shouldn't be getting those minutes, while a player like Joe T. rides the bench, when he's been balling out all game

Ulis and Perkins should have more minutes too

You forgot the sweet turnover where he cried to the ref and Maryland took it down for a layup.

Sorry to bring up bad plays, but he shouldn't be getting those minutes, while a player like Joe T. rides the bench, when he's been balling out all game

Ulis and Perkins should have more minutes too
Uhhh, I think he was being sarcastic...

watch the game…..who do you think made the difference at the back ot our zone?????????? your hate overshadows what little BB knowledge you might have

watch the game…..who do you think made the difference at the back ot our zone?????????? your hate overshadows what little BB knowledge you might have
You really think Connor was the difference in our zone? I’ve played bball and in the set in the zone it’s laughable to think even if he was the one barking out orders he wasn’t irreplaceable. Plus it was Rebeca who was technically playing in the back end. Also you notice how many shots they got off on his side by their bench that they luckily missed or how about his stellar rebounding effort…. Plus first half mr defense comes in and Maryland hits 2 3s during the start of their run. Can give you one guess whose guy it was. My dislike is because we have a kid who has made 4 shots all year playing more minutes than he should because of the name on the back of his jersey. It’s a joke.

Last edited:
Conner provides stability and a coach on the court. Ok so not the greatest of scorers but he is pretty good at late game free throws and does play pretty good defense. Conner's not there to score he's there to provide leadership. He does that well! Yes I know he missed a free throw down the stretch but so did Jbo. They made enough to win. Go Hawks!

Connor has helped Iowa win a lot of big games during his career.

And, while I’ll never confuse Iowa basketball’s toughness with Purdue, Iowa basketball was toilet paper soft 3, 4 years ago. Connor’s grit helped reshape the program.

It is strange to me how little loyalty or respect his efforts seem to have garnered from many.

Conner provides stability and a coach on the court. Ok so not the greatest of scorers but he is pretty good at late game free throws and does play pretty good defense. Conner's not there to score he's there to provide leadership. He does that well! Yes I know he missed a free throw down the stretch but so did Jbo. They made enough to win. Go Hawks!
Connor shot 58% from the ft line last year and so far 60%. He fit well last year on a team starting 4 other guys who could all shoot. Or 2 years ago with a short handed team could play a multiple spots. But he’s a shell of himself from 2 yrs ago. Not sure if injuries caught up with him or what. He is literally gun shy on shooting passing up multiple shots under 10 sec on the clock where he’s wide open and who ever is on the floor needs to take that shot.

But with this team and their style he is a poor fit. Reminds me of uhl played decent min soph and jr year. By sr year fell out of rotation. Same thing should happen to connor limit his min 8-10 max not be first guy off the bench over perkins or kris. Because again besides to defend multiple positions if you watch, this year especially, is his D really that great? And when the only argument one can make to play is “leadership” or “coach on the floor” basically tells me he’s deficient in most everything else.

Joe played great last night. He was fantastic! I think most would agree he is at his best when he is pushing the pace and getting out on the break. Slowing the pace and running clock to protect a lead is where Ulis shines. Also Ulis’ length provides better 3point defense. This is why he was in the game late. Fran doesn’t hate Joe. Some of you sound like Jr high kids.

Connor shot 58% from the ft line last year and so far 60%. He fit well last year on a team starting 4 other guys who could all shoot. Or 2 years ago with a short handed team could play a multiple spots. But he’s a shell of himself from 2 yrs ago. Not sure if injuries caught up with him or what. He is literally gun shy on shooting passing up multiple shots under 10 sec on the clock where he’s wide open and who ever is on the floor needs to take that shot.

But with this team and their style he is a poor fit. Reminds me of uhl played decent min soph and jr year. By sr year fell out of rotation. Same thing should happen to connor limit his min 8-10 max not be first guy off the bench over perkins or kris. Because again besides to defend multiple positions if you watch, this year especially, is his D really that great? And when the only argument one can make to play is “leadership” or “coach on the floor” basically tells me he’s deficient in most everything else.
If you recall...in part of the first half and a good part of the second the Maryland PG was driving down the lane and either getting to the rim with good results or dumping it off to their big guy at the front of the rim for an easy score. They did that repeatedly.........we couldn't stop them. As good as Joe T was in last night's game, he couldn't stop their PG.

In the second half when Connor came in with the other subs.....they put a stop to that, AND the other overloads that Maryland was using. Earlier in the game when Fran was shouting from the sidelines our guys weren't responding or weren't getting it. When Connor was on the floor he was telling/pointing the other players to where they needed to be and he himself was moving to help stop Maryland's offensive efforts....sometime in that frame we pushed the lead out to 10 and Maryland had a stretch where they didn't score. This is essentially where we took control of and won the game.

I think that's type of thing that Hooper is referring to...and probably more that he understands that I don't have the knowledge base for.

Reactions: hooper56
If you recall...in part of the first half and a good part of the second the Maryland PG was driving down the lane and either getting to the rim with good results or dumping it off to their big guy at the front of the rim for an easy score. They did that repeatedly.........we couldn't stop them. As good as Joe T was in last night's game, he couldn't stop their PG.

In the second half when Connor came in with the other subs.....they put a stop to that, AND the other overloads that Maryland was using. Earlier in the game when Fran was shouting from the sidelines our guys weren't responding or weren't getting it. When Connor was on the floor he was telling/pointing the other players to where they needed to be and he himself was moving to help stop Maryland's offensive efforts....sometime in that frame we pushed the lead out to 10 and Maryland had a stretch where they didn't score. This is essentially where we took control of and won the game.

I think that's type of thing that Hooper is referring to...and probably more that he understands that I don't have the knowledge base for.
Russel was dominant in the first half where I think he had 12pts…he finished with 16, i think Joe did pretty well on him the 2nd half. Ayala was the one doing most of the damage in the 2nd half iirc.

I think that was more to the switch to zone from man personally which we went to few min prior. Which I give fran credit to making the switch. I’ll give that group their credit for playing well as a collective unit including connor. But I thought ulis and perkins on the top really set the tone. Switching off keeping guys out of the lane and evident when jbo came in for perkins under 4 the difference it made. But as a group rotated well which for why fran plays zone so much more effective with quicker guards out front and Maryland wasn’t doing good enough getting the ball into the middle of the zone. something announcer butch mentioned Iowa needed to do after few empty possessions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulldogs1974

joe plays well in man or zone by comparison to all of our other players. Connor just happened to be in when they went to zone. Correlation does not mean causation.

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
Joe played great last night. He was fantastic! I think most would agree he is at his best when he is pushing the pace and getting out on the break. Slowing the pace and running clock to protect a lead is where Ulis shines. Also Ulis’ length provides better 3point defense. This is why he was in the game late. Fran doesn’t hate Joe. Some of you sound like Jr high kids.
I absolutely agree with you, and this is more than likely where Frans head was. BUT I think its a bit if a confidence killer for Joe to play the way he did, especially in the 2nd half, then get to crunch time and get benched. IMO he earned the opportunity to close last nights game out. Hopefully he’s ok with it. He seemed engaged on the bench which is good sign.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft

The starters played great in the first half until they were all pulled for the bench. That was when Maryland and Tuggs gained momentum. Fran put the starters back in and Maryland/Tuggs continued to make everything.

In the second half, Keegan put the team on his back early, but then it was Toussaint who built the lead, alongside Rebraca, Keegan, and Connor. The lead continued to grow when Fran subbed Ulis for Toussaint, which made a ton of sense because Toussaint was starting to wear. But then instead of going back to Joe, he brought in Bohannon for Perkins at the under 8 and we had Bohannon who couldn’t get an open look, Connor who can’t make an open look, and Ulis who isn’t nearly aggressive enough yet playing alongside Rebraca and Keegan, and that was when the lead shrank.

100%

Reactions: perryhawk
joe plays well in man or zone by comparison to all of our other players. Connor just happened to be in when they went to zone. Correlation does not mean causation.
That could apply to each of them right? I was not talking about correlation...I gave a very specific example of what was done (direct evidence) and what the results were.

That could apply to each of them right? I was not talking about correlation...I gave a very specific example of what was done (direct evidence) and what the results were.
Certainly you could be correct. Difference is you can see it with your eyes and stats. Joe had 3 defensive rebounds (4 total) and 3 steals. Connor had 1 and 1.
You can watch joe dig, play the other teams fastest guy, and cover far more of the court, again with your eyes. I'd love to see a count of steps taken on defense. But Connors the qb on defense. If his defense was so great, yet it's not quantifiable, why doesn't he play more.
The idea that anyone on Iowa's team plays decent defense is laughable to begin with. If we played as hard on defense as we do running to see who can get down court first we'd be a top ten defense.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT