ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Dix. More minutes.

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Fran, postgame: "I look down at the stat-sheet and I gotta get (Josh Dix) more than 9 minutes."

The box score said 10 minutes. Josh hit the huge 3, had 2 rebounds (1 offensive) and 1 assist. He's moving well and he plays good D.

It's hard to believe that less than a year ago, on Jan 21, 2022, with just under two minutes left in the fourth quarter between Dix’s Lincoln High School and Le Mars, Josh landed awkwardly and went down with that gruesome leg injury.

I don't believe Dix is known as a "pure" shooter, but he's shooting 40% from 3 this year - admittedly a small sample size (6-15). I'd be in favor of him getting more of Ulis's minutes, but I already think Bowen ought to be getting more of those minutes too.

Pretty tough to see what Ulis is bringing to the table right now. He's almost zero threat to score and doesn't help space the floor shooting 23% from 3 and being reluctant to shoot it. Ulis is a decent defender, and has a good assist to turnover ratio, but this team is lacking shot-makers. Not sure if Dix is one of the answers, but he at least appears to be a capable shooter from 3.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Fran, postgame: "I look down at the stat-sheet and I gotta get (Josh Dix) more than 9 minutes."

The box score said 10 minutes. Josh hit the huge 3, had 2 rebounds (1 offensive) and 1 assist. He's moving well and he plays good D.

It's hard to believe that less than a year ago, on Jan 21, 2022, with just under two minutes left in the fourth quarter between Dix’s Lincoln High School and Le Mars, Josh landed awkwardly and went down with that gruesome leg injury.
this is also what many here in the stands have been saying

Reactions: Franisdaman
IMO,:
1) Ulis needs more time on the bench and not starting as he is a situational player, mostly defense
2) Bowen needs more time on the floor until he forces play
3) Dix needs more time on the court as he is very solid at both ends
4) Perkins needs to control his emotions or sit to calm down because that is usually when he turns the ball over
5) Mulvey needs to be used more in spot play for Rebracca
6) It appears CMAC is the starting 1
Again JMO

I don't believe Dix is known as a "pure" shooter, but he's shooting 40% from 3 this year - admittedly a small sample size (6-15). I'd be in favor of him getting more of Ulis's minutes, but I already think Bowen ought to be getting more of those minutes too.

Pretty tough to see what Ulis is bringing to the table right now. He's almost zero threat to score and doesn't help space the floor shooting 23% from 3 and being reluctant to shoot it. Ulis is a decent defender, and has a good assist to turnover ratio, but this team is lacking shot-makers. Not sure if Dix is one of the answers, but he at least appears to be a capable shooter from 3.
Dix has played well. I have no problem with him getting more minutes.

Iowa does need shot-makers but Ulis had a couple really nice passes last night. He hustles, rebounds well for a guard, and is certainly a better than decent defender. He's actually Iowa's best defender. Hawks are going to need his quickness

Reactions: 1inamillion

Iowa does need shot-makers but Ulis had a couple really nice passes last night. He hustles, rebounds well for a guard, and is certainly a better than decent defender. He's actually Iowa's best defender. Hawks are going to need his quickness, off the bench

Agree, more of both, less Ulis.

Bowen had two baskets go in and out. Hes clearly the best off the dribble shot creator besides Kris.

Dix looks all around solid on both ends.

IMO,:
1) Ulis needs more time on the bench and not starting as he is a situational player, mostly defense
4) Perkins needs to control his emotions or sit to calm down because that is usually when he turns the ball over
Again JMO
And breaks down on defense.

IMO,:
Again JMO
Dix is getting the minutes he deserves at this point. He’s solid. Could be right about Ulis. Time will tell. He’s been up and down, still think he’s more than just a situational player, especially with our depth issues. Agree on Cmac. He’s actually driving the ball some even now and pushing in transition. Also agree on Perkins. Needs to calm down out there but still has a pretty big upside. He’ll be fine. Big minutes for all our starters except Ulis. Had to have that win so I understand Fran doing what he did but we’re going to need more minutes from the bench against Rutgers.

Iowa does need shot-makers but Ulis had a couple really nice passes last night. He hustles, rebounds well for a guard, and is certainly a better than decent defender. He's actually Iowa's best defender. Hawks are going to need his quickness
He also had a couple horrible shots that were as good as turnovers. From what I’ve seen of Dix, I think he’s just as good a rebounder and defender. I think Connor should be playing 80% of the point minutes. He’s really stepped up his game this year, playing terrific.

Reactions: littlez
He’s got a good stroke and makes good decisions. Needs to get stronger, but that’ll come. Big upside for JD

My thoughts are that Ulis works really well when the other players (teammates) on the floor are all threats, shooting well, from 3. When he has those guys out there he is a great piece......when only 1 or 2 are threats from 3, then he has to produce scoring in some way..and that is where I think he struggles.

Know a couple CB Lincoln teachers and a person in the athletic dept. They all say Josh is a great kid - great family and he was the ultimate gym rat. They could hardly keep him out of the gym and was the hardest working kid they had ever been around. They were devastated and at the game when his injury happened. Not surprising how well he healed up when I was told what a hard worker he was.

IMO,:
Again JMO

Has Ulis improved much during his career at Iowa?

Perkins has taken a step back; hopefully he can get his mojo back.

Bowen seems to be getting more and more acclimated to the speed of the game.

Dix has been HUGE. Still hard to believe less than a year ago he suffered that horrific leg injury.

With 17 or so minutes to go, Fran called time out & laid into the team. OUT went Ulis & Perk; IN came Payton & Dix. Huge turning point of the game. Kudos to Fran for his in game coaching.

Dix at point. Bold move by Fran and Dix came through. That move won the game. Great team effort. It was one of those game where I kept thinking “ damn we are playing well but we just can’t catch them”. But by God we did and the move with Dix was a big part of that. Tremendous versatility for future games!

Dix at point. Bold move by Fran and Dix came through. That move won the game. Great team effort. It was one of those game where I kept thinking “ damn we are playing well but we just can’t catch them”. But by God we did and the move with Dix was a big part of that. Tremendous versatility for future games!

Iowa was 0-3.

We were down by 21 vs IU. It looked like we were headed to 0-4. Fran called time out & laid into them & the team responded.

We won on the road at Rutgers. I think we led the entire game. Who saw that coming?

And I agree with you. Every time we made a run last night, Michigan had an answer. Until they had no answer for Payton. ;)

Suddenly, we are 3-3.

Who da thunk.

Fran's coaching his ass off. He's making a lot of interesting, but 100% correct moves. No question about it.

For some reason I was thinking this was his second season on campus, and that he had redshirted a year because of his injury. He's actually a true freshman, huh?

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I’m shocked at how tight his handles are. Kid is a stud.
Can’t imagine the vomit inducing anguish of watching this kid tear it up in Madison for years.
Good job on this one Fran

Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT