ADVERTISEMENT

Luka Garza is picked #52 Overall by the Detroit Pistons. NBA Summer League debut is Aug 8, 7:30 PM on ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, if and when I ever watch NBA basketball games, I don't see much defense. So I'm not sure why everybody is so focused on Garza's lack of so-called defense.
If you think there is no defense played in the NBA, then you have truly revealed you don't watch it much. The ball movement and court spacing coupled with great athletes' ability to put the ball on the court expose bad defense more than you ever see in the college game. You get put on an island by your man or by them calling your man to set the pick so you as the weak defender are exposed when you switch.

Yes, a lot of people don't understand the business side of the NBA. It would be simpler if it were just a matter of best talent, but contractual agreements sometimes mean a more talented player might not be able to be added to the team because of that prior commitment.
thats why Pistons fans, after seeing Garza in Summer League, want to dump Okafor & put Garza on the 15 man roster

Reactions: CyberJJ
If you think there is no defense played in the NBA, then you have truly revealed you don't watch it much. The ball movement and court spacing coupled with great athletes' ability to put the ball on the court expose bad defense more than you ever see in the college game. You get put on an island by your man or by them calling your man to set the pick so you as the weak defender are exposed when you switch.

You are in the minority if you think defense is played in the NBA

• Haha
Reactions: Fitzhawk
“I don’t watch the NBA”

*Feels qualified to subsequently weigh in and speak from authority on the topic*

Classic. Literally anybody who watches the NBA, has followed its evolution, or understands the differences in rules between the 90’s/00’s and current game understands that 1) the quality of both individual and collective offensive ability has never been higher in the NBA 2) the quality of individual and collective defensive talent has never been higher in the NBA 3) the limiting of hand checking in the mid 2000’s has limited defenders and increased scoring, as well as led to improved pace

This idea that some of the NCAA’s top players and defenders graduate, go pro, and suddenly decide that defense is longer important and that franchises don’t require it is comical

“I don’t watch the NBA”

*Feels qualified to subsequently weigh in and speak from authority on the topic*

Classic. Literally anybody who watches the NBA, has followed its evolution, or understands the differences in rules between the 90’s/00’s and current game understands that 1) the quality of both individual and collective offensive ability has never been higher in the NBA 2) the quality of individual and collective defensive talent has never been higher in the NBA 3) the limiting of hand checking in the mid 2000’s has limited defenders and increased scoring, as well as led to improved pace

This idea that some of the NCAA’s top players and defenders graduate, go pro, and suddenly decide that defense is longer important and that franchises don’t require it is comical

Your first statement is 100% false.

Why are you such a liar? Serious question. And then, after your lie, you expect anybody to read the rest of your rant?

What I did say, and I quote:

Yeah, if and when I ever watch NBA basketball games, I don't see much defense. So I'm not sure why everybody is so focused on Garza's lack of so-called defense.

It was loud, but I have been in louder. What I remember was just how narrow the seats were as we were on a corner not far off the floor.

I think people used to be narrower back in the 1960's. ;)

When they renovated Kinnick, they widened each seat. That just tells you how Americans have gotten larger over the years.

Your first statement is 100% false.

Why are you such a liar? Serious question. And then, after your lie, you expect anybody to read the rest of your rant?

If I tell you why I’m such a liar, will you tell me why you have 42,000 posts on this website in nine years and seemingly have nothing better to do with your day than surf Twitter and attention seek on an anonymous website?

Yes because of people like you who don't watch it yet spout like your opinion on the Association has relevance.

Speaking of irrelevance and spouting off, that would be what you just typed.

You do not have your facts straight. Again, I did not say I never watched it, so why are you lying about this?

If I tell you why I’m such a liar, will you tell me why you have 42,000 posts on this website in nine years and seemingly have nothing better to do with your day than surf Twitter and attention seek on an anonymous website?

Wow, Uno. I catch you in a lie and this is your response? Seriously?

Don't answer. I frankly don't care.

• Haha
Reactions: skydog0784
Not amongst people who watch a lot of NBA. People who don't see a team score 117 points and think "Why don't they play defense?"

They don't understand that with no defense, that 117 pts turns into 160. There is tons of great defense played.

We will agree to disagree on that.

Kyrie Irving, as one example, disagrees. He has said that defense is an after-thought in today’s NBA.

But what does he know?

“I think not a lot of defense is being played. Teams are scoring like it’s the 1960s or ’70s. It’s 132 to 112, 142 to 121. There’s no defense. There’s just none. You can see the difference in effort in every single night, which I get from an NBA player’s standpoint, the amount of games we play, but sometimes you have to make guys miss.

“We’re all NBA players and if you see an open look at the rim, I’m pretty sure we’re going to knock it down over 50 percent of the time if it’s wide open. More or less no defense and effort. That’s what it comes down to; nobody should be scoring that many points.”

Irving was adamant about crediting the skill of the offensive players but he said defense have to react accordingly.

“You have to give credit to the offensive players for making the shots but also I think the emphasis on making double-teaming and just getting the ball out of someone’s hands. Just doing the little things to help your teammates guard a great player or a great team, just a total team effort and team collective activity to kind of limit those high scoring games.”

Last edited:
Not amongst people who watch a lot of NBA. People who don't see a team score 117 points and think "Why don't they play defense?"

They don't understand that with no defense, that 117 pts turns into 160. There is tons of great defense played.

We will agree to disagree on that.

Another example.

On Apr 20, 2021, Colin Cowherd talked about the historically bad NBA defenses.

But, hey, what does he know?

Another example.

On Apr 20, 2021, Colin Cowherd talked about the historically bad NBA defenses.

But, hey, what does he know?

Go look at the entire leagues pp100 possessions since 1980 & learn something. It's nowhere near as much as you would think, but I don't expect you you admit it when you find out.

Pistons mailbag: Can Luka Garza carve out a role in Detroit?

Rod Beard
The Detroit News
Aug 25, 2021

Now that the NBA Summer League is over and free agency has cooled down, the Pistons are in a slower period before training camp gears up in the last week of September.

The roster is mostly set and there are only a couple of issues to resolve, the biggest of which is they have 16 players — one above the maximum — on the roster. They won’t have to sort that out until the end of training camp, so there’s still time.

This week’s mailbag focuses on how the G League affiliate, the Motor City Cruise, will mesh with the Pistons and some roster fits with players who might go back and forth between the Pistons and Cruise.

Q. Do you expect Luka Garza to be part of the rotation? — @tarikbazzy

A. That’s a trickier question than some might think. My reflex answer is no, because they’ll probably have Isaiah Stewart and Kelly Olynyk eating most of the minutes at center. That seems to be the logical road forward, considering Olynyk was their biggest free-agent addition.

On the surface, Garza is on a two-way contract, so he won’t project to be a rotation player. It’s likely that he’ll see some time, but to put him in the “rotation” category right now is a bit optimistic. He’s 6-foot-11 and he can stretch the floor and has the profile of a traditional center, but his agility and mobility are big question marks, even with the work he’s done this summer since leaving Iowa.

The thing to watch is how the Pistons balance out the roster in training camp. If they decide to waive Jahlil Okafor to get the roster down to 15, that would leave them with just two centers, which potentially could open playing time for Garza. I think they want to take a look at Garza in the NBA this year, but it’s still too early to see how things might shake out.

The Full Story:

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the Pistons released Luka and he signed on to a team with a greater need at center. Frankly, I am tired of my Hawks being drafted by all of the pro teams I despised growing up and that includes the Pistons, Vikings, Packers, etc

• Despite a strong showing in summer league action, Pistons center Luka Garza is unlikely to get rotation minutes during his rookie campaign, Rod Beard of the Detroit News speculates. He might get more of an opportunity if Detroit, which has one too many guaranteed contracts, opts to waive Jahlil Okafor. There’s also a good chance Sekou Doumbouya will spend a chunk of time this upcoming season in the G League unless he shines in training camp, Beard writes.

The Full Story:

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the Pistons released Luka and he signed on to a team with a greater need at center. Frankly, I am tired of my Hawks being drafted by all of the pro teams I despised growing up and that includes the Pistons, Vikings, Packers, etc

not sure how that would work now that he's signed a contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT