ADVERTISEMENT

Luka Garza is picked #52 Overall by the Detroit Pistons. NBA Summer League debut is Aug 8, 7:30 PM on ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
On that subject, has anyone else tried accessing their fan forum lately? I visited it a couple of games ago just to see what their reaction to Luka was and now when I try to access it, I get the 404 Not Found message.
I haven’t but saw they have a couple forums. Which one are you talking about? I can try to get in and see if it’s a forum problem or a problem on your end

On that subject, has anyone else tried accessing their fan forum lately? I visited it a couple of games ago just to see what their reaction to Luka was and now when I try to access it, I get the 404 Not Found message.

i have seen a couple of forums on Twitter but skimmed by them; which one are you trying to access?

Cook's body is NBA ready. If Cook had developed an offensive game half as good as Garza's he's would probably have an NBA contract. Not improving that part of his game before, during, and after he left Iowa is what is holding him back.
I also believe that there is also an NBA stigma that precedes Iowa players with the "they can't play defense". Something White, Marble, and Uhthoff has experienced first hand....

30 teams x 17 spots = 510 total roster spots

As we saw with so many former Hawks, its hard to land a job if you are not a 1st round pick.

Luka is twice the player Livers is !
and Livers is injured, too

when's the last time Luka missed a game?

the money is quite different, too

Livers signed a 3 year / $4,456,874 deal, including $2,620,778 guaranteed.

This is what he is scheduled to be paid during the 3 years:

2021-2022: $1,057,260
2022-2023: $1,563,518
2023-2024: $1,836,096

I guess it was not official until today

E9A_7cuWUAI9h1c

Good article from yesterday.

Could Luka's play help send Jahil Okafor packing before the season even starts?

Okafor played one year at Duke and is 6'11". He is now 25 years old, and as you will read, does not bring much to the table for the Pistons.

Some excerpts:

Detroit Pistons: Luka Garza vs. Jahlil Okafor

Garza has been one of the standouts of Summer League, finishing with two strong games where he scored over 20 points and had at least 14 rebounds.

The Detroit Pistons were smart to keep Garza on a two-way contract, as it still leaves them a roster spot for Jahlil Okafor, but how long that roster spot lasts is anyone’s guess.

Count me as part of the group who thinks Garza should play over Okafor now, as Luka is a more versatile offensive player and both are fairly awful on defense, though Garza puts in more effort and looks better overall.

I can definitely see a scenario where Garza wins this spot outright before the season even starts and the Pistons send Jahlil Okafor packing in a low-stakes trade, buyout or simply by cutting him.

I love Garza’s attitude and work ethic and he looks ready to push himself to another level where Okafor has been the same player since joining the league.

Advantage: Luka Garza

The Full Story:

Reactions: Hawksfor3 and Moral
i have seen a couple of forums on Twitter but skimmed by them; which one are you trying to access?
Real GM, which seems to be the most widely used by Piston fans. But it's all good, as it is back today. They started out having some interesting takes on Luka, both good and bad, but he is definitely winning them over.

Reactions: Moral
Luka's performance in the Summer League has excited both Hawkeye and Piston fans, but I think we need to remember the level of competition. These guys, for the most part, are rookies and kids that are trying to break into the NBA, just like Luka. We all hope he has the same level of success against NBA players, but that remains to be seen. That said, I would never bet against Luka.

Luka's performance in the Summer League has excited both Hawkeye and Piston fans, but I think we need to remember the level of competition. These guys, for the most part, are rookies and kids that are trying to break into the NBA, just like Luka. We all hope he has the same level of success against NBA players, but that remains to be seen. That said, I would never bet against Luka.
On to training camp!

Good article from yesterday.

Could Luka's play help send Jahil Okafor packing before the season even starts?

Okafor played one year at Duke and is 6'11". He is now 25 years old, and as you will read, does not bring much to the table for the Pistons.

Some excerpts:

Detroit Pistons: Luka Garza vs. Jahlil Okafor

Garza has been one of the standouts of Summer League, finishing with two strong games where he scored over 20 points and had at least 14 rebounds.

The Detroit Pistons were smart to keep Garza on a two-way contract, as it still leaves them a roster spot for Jahlil Okafor, but how long that roster spot lasts is anyone’s guess.

Count me as part of the group who thinks Garza should play over Okafor now, as Luka is a more versatile offensive player and both are fairly awful on defense, though Garza puts in more effort and looks better overall.

I can definitely see a scenario where Garza wins this spot outright before the season even starts and the Pistons send Jahlil Okafor packing in a low-stakes trade, buyout or simply by cutting him.

I love Garza’s attitude and work ethic and he looks ready to push himself to another level where Okafor has been the same player since joining the league.

Advantage: Luka Garza

The Full Story:

I guess if the Pistons have 2 million dollars to waste they can cut Okafor.....but they still have to pay. It isn't as simple as what player may be better....it has to do with what you can do with contracts.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I guess if the Pistons have 2 million dollars to waste they can cut Okafor.....but they still have to pay. It isn't as simple as what player may be better....it has to do with what you can do with contracts.
It will be definitely something to watch.

Okafor is only due $2 million this year?

Depends on their cap space. If they can keep Garza at the current rookie minimum but think he'll outperform Okafor, it could very well be worth it to them to cut Okafor. It's not like the combo of Garza and Okafor will break the bank if JO isn't on the roster.

I just looked, the Pistons are over their cap for 21-22 (by $8ish mil), but Garza being on a 2 way doesn't count, so he's good. IIRC, if they were to cut Okafor and he were to sign elsewhere, he'd count against the cap this year, but not next year. Also, the cap hold for Okafor for next year is $1.7 mil, Garza's is $1.5 mil, so, cutting Okafor might be worth it since his pay won't hurt them this year, and if he signs, it would help them next year.

Most of the fans on the Detroit Piston forum would be more than happy to release Okafor, and the 5PTs/2RB's he provided for them last year, and replace him with Luka immediately to be their third center. On the other hand, I seriously doubt that Garza would be willing to be a third anything.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Depends on their cap space. If they can keep Garza at the current rookie minimum but think he'll outperform Okafor, it could very well be worth it to them to cut Okafor. It's not like the combo of Garza and Okafor will break the bank if JO isn't on the roster.

I just looked, the Pistons are over their cap for 21-22 (by $8ish mil), but Garza being on a 2 way doesn't count, so he's good. IIRC, if they were to cut Okafor and he were to sign elsewhere, he'd count against the cap this year, but not next year. Also, the cap hold for Okafor for next year is $1.7 mil, Garza's is $1.5 mil, so, cutting Okafor might be worth it since his pay won't hurt them this year, and if he signs, it would help them next year.

How are they over the freaking cap? Crazy. Detroit was god awful last year.

I still think it will be very interesting if Luka gets a chance and balls out. Or at least looks really good and consistently hits 3s and rebounds in limited time. He'd be a free agent when his 2 way is up at end of year and if multiple teams are impressed it would drive up his value and he could be looking at a very nice payday in only his 2nd year in the league.

How are they over the freaking cap? Crazy. Detroit was god awful last year.

I still think it will be very interesting if Luka gets a chance and balls out. Or at least looks really good and consistently hits 3s and rebounds in limited time. He'd be a free agent when his 2 way is up at end of year and if multiple teams are impressed it would drive up his value and he could be looking at a very nice payday in only his 2nd year in the league.

How? They have about $35m in dead cap money...ie, money that counts against them for guys not on the team such as Blake Griffin's nearly $30 mil. As of right now, they have around $27m available for next season.

This cap stuff is nuts, isn't it?

Looks like the Pistons need a better cap manager. Hopefully the current GM and staff can get it all figured out.

Luka's work ethic is off the charts. His teammates have to love him. He shares the ball and works tirelessly setting screens. He can go a long way to help his team. They have to be pleased.

Great chemistry, for sure, between him & his teammates. You always saw them cheering for Luka during the games.

The Pistons really had a solid draft. They did extremely well in the 2nd round.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Luka and Cade have had great chemistry on & off the court ever since they were first introduced after being drafted.

National Player of the Year.

# 1 Overall Pick.

The Pistons' future is bright.

46DOCs01

Reactions: Sett1997
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT