ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament Session 3 Thread

Scored off of Real’s shot. We desperately need to improve our scrambling ability. That should 100% be a focus in the off season. I don’t care if they work in anything else. Being able to scramble gives you leeway if you don’t take the best shot. It’s an issue and it’s bit us again. Damn
I'm sure they work on finishing all the time in their minds, but based on the tape that time is spent on finishing "the right way" instead of learning to finish from broken positions when your opponent stops your first finish and that's far more important.

Your attitude should be "as long as I get my hands locked, I can finish from everywhere." That's one thing PSU has been incredible at during this run.

Oh I hope you find it. I guess I didn’t see it coming and I was like wtf is this. Tantrum is exactly the word to describe it too.
Searched Twitter no luck. Couldn't find anything from Drake's match either damnit

Woods doesn't finish across for the double leg TD and instead cracks it down, just like Rathjen, and ends up being put in a cradle just like Caleb.
When Iowa finally figures out not to crack down and give up inside position for cradle it will be a miracle.
Woods was in on 3 deep shots and wanted to roll around for a finish, not smart.
Very solid assessment. They need to be casting over almost immediately to readjust into the double leg. Too many kids are becoming very adept at catching the crotch and cutting the corner. Unless you can basically boot scoot and clear your hips almost immediately in transition, staying in front and not getting your inside arm caught inside is paramount…

Askren blatantly states on FRL all the time that Iowa never practices these situations. Says it so often it seems factual. Ironside keeps wondering why we always make things so hard on ourselves finishing takedowns.
There has to be a grain of truth to that. I firmly believe that Drake becomes cautious when the guy he’s wrestling starts to block off and slow the pace. If Drake was confident in his scrambling ability I think that would make him so much more consistent and dangerous.

If I’m Noto in the semifinals I would block off and try to win 2-0. It sucks for the sport. I can’t stand it. But that’s how you beat Iowa guys. Stall your ass off and win one scramble. It’s the same song that has been playing every dance for the last 6 years. Jacob Warner, Murin, Bull. All had the same issue.

Last edited:
He was the aggressor the entire match. Didn't cut to the double hard and finish. How is that wanting to be done. Stupid take.
Let's be honest, he took 2 real shots and on both he just hung on the leg instead of working to really finish. There was zero fight in him on that last shot. Whether it's physical or mental, there was something missing there and he didn't fight thru what was an advantage position.

Senior year regression is quite common across the sport
This is very likely the case. But can you think of a program that has more nc’s or high placers as sophomores and juniors that disappeared as seniors? McDonough, Sorensen, St John, Marinelli, Kemmerer just to name recent guys. Injuries are a huge part, but seems like a running theme that our seniors are physically shot.

There has to be a grain of truth to that. I firmly believe that Drake becomes cautious when the guy he’s wrestling starts to block off and slow the pace. If Drake was confident in his scrambling ability I think that would make him so much more consistent and dangerous.

If I’m Noti in the semifinals I would block off and try to win 2-0. It sucks for the sport. I can’t stand it. But that’s how you beat Iowa guys. Stall your ass off and win one scramble. It’s the same song that has been playing every dance for the last 6 years. Jacob Warner, Murin, Bull. All had the same issue.
And the man in charge hasn't done anything to properly address the issue. Star and Bobby were fine Hawks, but it's time for a change.

This is very likely the case. But can you think of a program that has more nc’s or high placers as sophomores and juniors that disappeared as seniors? McDonough, Sorensen, St John, Marinelli, Kemmerer just to name recent guys. Injuries are a huge part, but seems like a running theme that our seniors are physically shot.
The Iowa senior fade. It’s a clear issue

I'm sure they work on finishing all the time in their minds, but based on the tape that time is spent on finishing "the right way" instead of learning to finish from broken positions when your opponent stops your first finish and that's far more important.

Your attitude should be "as long as I get my hands locked, I can finish from everywhere." That's one thing PSU has been incredible at during this run.
The problem is most of the guys that reach the main high crotch position aren’t fast enough to clear their hips going to the outside finish. So, they end up getting “crotched and cornered”. Once that happens it really isn’t about scrambling and finishing. You essentially are already in a very disadvantaged position against anyone with length…

Reactions: Trapper85

100%. Clean finishes are tough at this tournament. The book is out on Iowa guys and it works. Refs aren’t going to call stalling when a guy blocks off, so long as they don’t run off the mat. A wrestler doesn’t have to always be on the attack any more. If Iowa wants to be the aggressive team they talk about being then work to better at creating scrambling situations and win with “dirty” wrestling. That are stop saying that you’re a fast paced offensive team.

We shut down, Glazier, Woods, Drake. Even our best wrestlers do it.

I did not want to comment on this until after the tournament, but the officiating is criminal and it’s not just Hawkeye matches.
The fat bald ref, #56 or 36 is terrible. Watched him in Hawkeye matches and different matches the last few weeks and hes terrible

Reactions: Grip220
Rathjen and D’Emilio. Rathjen beat him at Big 10’s. D’Emilio in on a shot. Rathjen waterfalls and they go stalemate. Now Angel wants to review something.

And the man in charge hasn't done anything to properly address the issue. Star and Bobby were fine Hawks, but it's time for a change.
DeSanto had the same issue as well. Which is why he got to Rby’s and Fix’s right leg 400 times and never finished once. DeSanto is classic Iowa style and he still got stymied at the National tourney.

In case anyone didn’t know, Shane Sparks loves gold fish, Matcast you got to listen to him chomp on some.

Very solid assessment. They need to be casting over almost immediately to readjust into the double leg. Too many kids are becoming very adept at catching the crotch and cutting the corner. Unless you can basically boot scoot and clear your hips almost immediately in transition, staying in front and not getting your inside arm caught inside is paramount…
I actually think this attitude is the biggest problem with the Iowa approach. You can't avoid scrambling. You have to be good at it. The defender is forcing that position and nobody is good enough to avoid it altogether.

If you watch the Woods exchange, he tries to come to his feet and cut to a double multiple times. McNeil drapes and cuts off his arm to prevent it and is eventually able to sit the corner and work from there. The biggest issue there is once McNeil successfully sits the corner, Real is just trying to hang on for a stalemate instead of working to his next finishing option, probably because he doesn't feel comfortable there.

Rathjen in a single leg and had it elevated only to get countered and taken down.

Rathjen in deep on the edge and D’Emilio splits. D’Emilio to his feet and grabs Rathjen’s leg and gets the TD. Rathjen out quickly. 4-1 D’Emilio. Franek and Teemer scoreless after 1. Rathjen goes down. Getting ridden. Franek out quickly Up 1-0

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
I actually think this attitude is the biggest problem with the Iowa approach. You can't avoid scrambling. You have to be good at it. The defender is forcing that position and nobody is good enough to avoid it altogether.

If you watch the Woods exchange, he tries to come to his feet and cut to a double multiple times. McNeil drapes and cuts off his arm to prevent it and is eventually able to sit the corner and work from there. The biggest issue there is once McNeil successfully sits the corner, Real is just trying to hang on for a stalemate instead of working to his next finishing option, probably because he doesn't feel comfortable there.
As stated...this is a "room issue" on approach, imo.

When Woods was successful, he was full on aggression in first period.

Hawk guys, outside of Caliendo, just don't push early.

Woods still tries to corner first before trying to switch off to the double. Even guys like O’Toole have a very hard time scrambling in that position once someone locks the crotch and gets an angle.

The real issue is how so many of the guys are too reliant on inside ties that limit angles on takedown attempts. As much as I love the high crotch, I HATE the outside finish if you can’t put the guy to a hip right away. As soon as they hit their bottom I want that inside hand casting and transitioning off. It may give the defensive wrestler any chance to hip out and sprawl, but I would rather that position than them cutting the corner…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT