ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2022 thread*****

Just how many ex Cubs are playing for the Yankees tonight? Mitch must be beside himself to see all of these castoffs contributing for his Yankees.

Reactions: MitchLL
How often does that happen? In the top of the 11th, the Cubs made 3 outs and only sent 2 men to the plate.

I have been largely absent from this thread, so forgive me if this is redundant.

My biggest gripe with the Rickets family is that they did not go all-in for 2019. It was very clear that the organization was going to have to pay for the sins of Theo Epstein's poor roster management and Jason McLeod's inept drafting/player development, so they should have gone all-in that season.

HOWEVER...the Cubs effectively had 3 years of completely empty drafting and player development from 2016 - 2018. There is no way to spend your way out of that.

Many on here (and in Cubs Nation abroad) lamented the Yu Darvish trade. Many lamented the fact that instead of extending Kris Bryant, Javy Baez, and Anthony Rizzo, they traded each of them.

Here is how each of them is doing this year (the season is around 35% complete):

• Darvish:
    • Worth 1.2 WAR thus far
  • Bryant:
    • Has another nagging injury that has sidelined him for the bulk of the season. KB has been completely useless for the Rockies after signing a large contract.
    • When playing, he has been worth -0.3 WAR, 81 wRC+ (league average of 100) and has zero HR's.
  • Rizzo:
    • Having a solid Rizzo season with 126 wRC+ and 0.7 WAR
  • Baez
    • Javy is currently one of the worst hitters in baseball, sporting a 55 wRC+.
    • He has been worth 0 WAR.
    • As we have always predicted, when Javy's physical skills start to erode, it will be a fast fall as he won't have the tools to make up for his historically bad plate discipline. I hope for his sake that this is not the beginning of the end.
If the Cubs had resigned these players, they would likely win between 80-84 games, would have a top 5 payroll (Darvish and Stroman's contracts would cancel each other out), and still a bottom 5 farm system.

Still much more work to be done, but it appears as though the Cubs won bigtime on the Baez and Bryant trades, and there is excitement on the farm for the first time since early 2016.

I have been largely absent from this thread, so forgive me if this is redundant.

My biggest gripe with the Rickets family is that they did not go all-in for 2019. It was very clear that the organization was going to have to pay for the sins of Theo Epstein's poor roster management and Jason McLeod's inept drafting/player development, so they should have gone all-in that season.

HOWEVER...the Cubs effectively had 3 years of completely empty drafting and player development from 2016 - 2018. There is no way to spend your way out of that.

Many on here (and in Cubs Nation abroad) lamented the Yu Darvish trade. Many lamented the fact that instead of extending Kris Bryant, Javy Baez, and Anthony Rizzo, they traded each of them.

Here is how each of them is doing this year (the season is around 35% complete):

• Darvish:
    • Worth 1.2 WAR thus far
  • Bryant:
    • Has another nagging injury that has sidelined him for the bulk of the season. KB has been completely useless for the Rockies after signing a large contract.
    • When playing, he has been worth -0.3 WAR, 81 wRC+ (league average of 100) and has zero HR's.
  • Rizzo:
    • Having a solid Rizzo season with 126 wRC+ and 0.7 WAR
  • Baez
    • Javy is currently one of the worst hitters in baseball, sporting a 55 wRC+.
    • He has been worth 0 WAR.
    • As we have always predicted, when Javy's physical skills start to erode, it will be a fast fall as he won't have the tools to make up for his historically bad plate discipline. I hope for his sake that this is not the beginning of the end.
If the Cubs had resigned these players, they would likely win between 80-84 games, would have a top 5 payroll (Darvish and Stroman's contracts would cancel each other out), and still a bottom 5 farm system.

Still much more work to be done, but it appears as though the Cubs won bigtime on the Baez and Bryant trades, and there is excitement on the farm for the first time since early 2016.
A lot of good points here. The biggest problem is that the previous player development regime was not developing arms. That meant Theo had to spend almost all FA money on pitching….and that what might have been the next wave of talent (JimInez, Cease, Candelario, etc) had to be traded for pitching. On top of that, they never made any clear decision around who to extend to be an on-going part of the core.

All that said, I‘ve been impressed with Jed starting with the Darvish trade. I think he’s done well with almost every trade he’s made and there are a number of recent draft picks that appear to be progressing well. Some dude named Morel wasn’t even a top 20 prospect for the team and he’s been tearing up MLB pitching.

As of June 11, 2022, this season Rizzo has 14 home runs
and 39 RBI's for the NY Yankees. This ranks him only
second on the team to Aaron Judge with 22 home runs
and 45 RBI's. Rizzo's lefthanded bat has helped the Yanks.

Just how many ex Cubs are playing for the Yankees tonight? Mitch must be beside himself to see all of these castoffs contributing for his Yankees.
Lots of guys seem to excel once they leave the Cubs organization.

And don't feel too bad about dumping Frazier...he's the guy that had vision problems a few years ago and failed to disclose it to mgmt.

A complete teardown seems inevitable in Chicago.

Just not much talent at any level, imo.

Smyly, Miley, and Stroman are all on the IL. Hendricks hasn't pitched in 10 days, and they haven't said anything about that.

Smyly, Miley, and Stroman are all on the IL. Hendricks hasn't pitched in 10 days, and they haven't said anything about that.
If you're planning on dumping guys at the trade deadline, which looks inevitable, they're likely not releasing any more about injuries than they absolutely have to.

Cubs are a mess.

Six HRS so far.

Playing the Cubs is better than an open date on the schedule.

NYY must feel like they're playing a mediocre AAA team.

Six HRS so far.

Playing the Cubs is better than an open date on the schedule.

NYY must feel like they're playing a mediocre AAA team.
Yeah, it always takes 13 innings to beat a mediocre AAA team, especially when you are supposedly the best MLB this season. lol

Cubs are 0-40 in their last RISP at bats. It's still going too...

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Definitely showed last night when it took them 13 innings to get 2 runs.
Bottom line is who won the fricken game.

You want an "atta boy" for stringing out the game to 13 innings?

Moral victories are about all Chub fans get these days.

LOL

Can't wait for the next edition of "the next big thing" coming from the farm system like Swarmer was a few weeks ago.

HOFer fo sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: QChawks
Yeah, it always takes 13 innings to beat a mediocre AAA team, especially when you are supposedly the best MLB this season. lol

Cubs are 0-40 in their last RISP at bats. It's still going too...
We usually agree on most things on this forum.

I imagine it's pretty difficult to get motivated when anyone plays the Cubs.

I think we can easily agree the home team in Wrigley stinks to holy hell again this season.

Last edited:

LOL

Can't wait for the next edition of "the next big thing" coming from the farm system like Swarmer was a few weeks ago.

HOFer fo sure.
I don’t want an ”atta boy”. I just don’t want to hear about how the Yanks are steamrolling a AAA team when they took 13 innings to win a 2-1 game.

LOL

HOFer fo sure.
This season is what it is because of the choices management made. Literally nobody called Swarmer ”the next big thing” - even Cub prospect sites and podcasts believe he’s more likely to be a multi-inning reliever than a starter since he only has two pitches. That doesn’t change the fact that he threw really well in his first two starts.

This season is now about evaluating guys. Heyward should already be gone. Simmons should probably be gone. Villar should be gone. Frazier (even if he’s a likely bust) should still be here because he has more theoretical ceiling than Heyward/Villar/Simmons. Morel has been a bright spot. Wisdom may not be a starter on a good team, but he’s a MLB player with legit power and a solid glove. Hoerner has shown a good approach at the plate and has played solid SS. Is he their next everyday SS? Maybe not, but he’s a major leaguer.

The Cubs should be aggressive next offseason on the FA market. Happ is a ML starter. Suzuki is a ML starter. Early returns on Morel are good. Hoerner can plug in somewhere. I’d love to see them keep Contreras. The pitching development over the past 2 years has been massive. The Cubs suck now, no doubt, but I expect them to try to contend in 2023 and with the right investments, they could be quite good in 2024 and beyond.

We usually agree on most things on this forum.

I imagine it's pretty difficult to get motivated when anyone plays the Cubs.

I think we can easily agree the home team in Wrigley stinks to holy hell again this season.
They do seem to play better on the road. On that we can agree.

Personally, depending on their off season spending plans after this season, they could either end up with similar results next year resembling either their 2014, or, maybe their 2015 results. Time will tell, I guess, but I do believe they are coming back in the next 2-3 years. I think they will be smarter than back then with regards of going into the future.

Under better management now, IMO.

I know Cub mgmt counts on fans who want to believe things will get better.

As an outsider, I just don't see it.

Very little trade bait and once MLB scouts see and analyze weaknesses, they adjust pitching and capitalize on those weaknesses. Look no further than Wisdom and Schwindel. Flash in the pan guys.

Now, the Cubs will eventually win a game vs NYY, and I fully expect my AAA comment to be thrown in my face, but these two franchises aren't even on the same planet when it comes to the goals of winning and being competitive.

At this point, the Cubs are looking up at Pittsburgh. Yeah, Pittsburgh!

Last edited:
Looks like the Cubs 2nd baseman or 3rd baseman will be pitching by the 6th inning.

Good they have all those hot prospects in the pipeline.

Looks like the Cubs 2nd baseman or 3rd baseman will be pitching by the 6th inning.

Damn...it was the 1st baseman in the 8th.

I'm slipping.

Two touchdowns, a 2 pt conversion and a field goal.

MLB needs the "mercy" rule.

Reactions: QChawks
This season is what it is because of the choices management made. Literally nobody called Swarmer ”the next big thing” - even Cub prospect sites and podcasts believe he’s more likely to be a multi-inning reliever than a starter since he only has two pitches. That doesn’t change the fact that he threw really well in his first two starts.

This season is now about evaluating guys. Heyward should already be gone. Simmons should probably be gone. Villar should be gone. Frazier (even if he’s a likely bust) should still be here because he has more theoretical ceiling than Heyward/Villar/Simmons. Morel has been a bright spot. Wisdom may not be a starter on a good team, but he’s a MLB player with legit power and a solid glove. Hoerner has shown a good approach at the plate and has played solid SS. Is he their next everyday SS? Maybe not, but he’s a major leaguer.

The Cubs should be aggressive next offseason on the FA market. Happ is a ML starter. Suzuki is a ML starter. Early returns on Morel are good. Hoerner can plug in somewhere. I’d love to see them keep Contreras. The pitching development over the past 2 years has been massive. The Cubs suck now, no doubt, but I expect them to try to contend in 2023 and with the right investments, they could be quite good in 2024 and beyond.
No

You are posting more than anyone in this thread... I'd say your obsession with kicking the Cubs while they are temporarily down is weird but you're a dbag Yankee fan, just repping your fanbase I guess.

One short year ago you weren't around because your underachieving franchise was only 2 over. 500 while the Cubs were tied for first at 10 over. If you think the current state of the Cubs is permanent well go ahead and enjoy that delusion. Im annoyed the Ricketts aren't spending to make the Cubs at least respectable but when they decide to again things are going to change dramatically, and they will have a bunch of young talent to supplement those stars.

So get your shots in about what a mess of a franchise the Cubs are while you can, you probably won't be around when your team chokes again and the Cubs get it going again in the not too distant future

You are posting more than anyone in this thread... I'd say your obsession with kicking the Cubs while they are temporarily down is weird but you're a dbag Yankee fan, just repping your fanbase I guess.

One short year ago you weren't around because your underachieving franchise was only 2 over. 500 while the Cubs were tied for first at 10 over. If you think the current state of the Cubs is permanent well go ahead and enjoy that delusion. Im annoyed the Ricketts aren't spending to make the Cubs at least respectable but when they decide to again things are going to change dramatically, and they will have a bunch of young talent to supplement those stars.

So get your shots in about what a mess of a franchise the Cubs are while you can, you probably won't be around when your team chokes again and the Cubs get it going again in the not too distant future

By "not too distant future", do you mean 94 years, since the Cubs are good for one WS title every 100 years?

NYY fans would never settle for such irrelevance. The Ricketts are playing you guys and you don't even realize it.

When the Cubs let Contreras go at the end of the year or the trade deadline, it will be obvious to everyone, even you, that there is no plan. Just pocketing the $$$ from tv contracts laughing all the way to the bank.

Hey, Kevin Alcantara, the lottery ticket the Yankees threw in for Rizzo had 8 RBIs today and is mashing in low A. Just like PCA he is forcing upward movement.

One thing that people said might be a problem with Ross was his personal relationships with players.
As I flog the dead Jason Heyward horse once again, Ross is giving people reasons to think that he is going with his guy versus other players. If I were Clint Frazier I'd feel that way.

Reactions: TheCainer
One thing that people said might be a problem with Ross was his personal relationships with players.
As I flog the dead Jason Heyward horse once again, Ross is giving people reasons to think that he is going with his guy versus other players. If I were Clint Frazier I'd feel that way.

100% doesnt send a good message to the team either. The locker room knows who deserves to play.

Agreed. Also, the Cubs are doing everything possible to poison whatever feelings exist between Heyward and the fan base. My opinion of JHey is that he’s always been a pro’s pro. He works hard. He’s a leader. He’s a guy who has always seemed very liked/respected in the clubhouse. All of those things are still true, even as he’s really never hit during this contract. The more the Cubs trot him out there while trading away the guys from last year plus potentially Contreras and others this year and the more he plays while guys like Frazier get the DFA, they’re going to start getting him booed.

Figure out a way to get JHey out gracefully. I still think there’s a contender out there that would be interested in him as a bench OF for the league minimum. Let JHey go and sign somewhere else and/or offer him a good position in the front office and then open the door to him joining Ross’s staff next year. Keep him involved, he just can’t continue starting or even taking up a roster spot.

Reactions: lucas80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT