ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Indiana at IOWA Game Thread. 8 PM CT, FS1*****

Kris Murray should be a starter
He definitely earned more minutes, if nothing else. Wow, the switch really came on. I just hope he can sustain it, not necessarily with a team high every night but with consistent play. No dumb fouls tonight for him and he was a lot more aggressive. Really looked like Keegan out there!

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
I can see Ullis for FTs at end, but Ullis played big minutes in 2nd half and JoeT rode a lot of pine, yet Fran did not forget about JBO and CMAC.

Out of JoeT, JBo, CMAC, and Ulis, jBO was guy that should have less minutes.

If one of them could consistently knock down 3s, which Joe has improved a ton on, they could play together.

Fran catches his deserved share of heat, but the Toussaint benching was really the only rotational move I took issue with tonight. I thought everybody else was handled masterfully

I think what drives me crazy the most is Toussaint just blatantly gets treated differently when it comes to minutes. The hook on him has always been so quick compared to other players. I just don't understand it, especially when he's playing as well as he is.

What the hell...

vEpg0S.gif

I think what drives me crazy the most is Toussaint just blatantly gets treated differently when it comes to minutes. The hook on him has always been so quick compared to other players. I just don't understand it, especially when he's playing as well as he is.
It doesn’t make sense to me either. He’s a third year player and has a full year of starting under his belt but doesn’t receive half the trust that the other vets get

Or Rebraca. See which of the 3 brings the most off the bench.

I would sit PMAC and leav in in Rebraca as center to take most of the post fouls. Bring in some Mulvey and JoshO for other center minutes.

I woudn't mind Keegan-Kris-PMac in a zone and the interchangeable 3 guys around 6'8+----can work against poor shooting teams like Indiana and Maryland. Lot of teams will destroy a zone with 3pt shooting.

If one of them could consistently knock down 3s, which Joe has improved a ton on, they could play together.

I think some Ulis + JoeT together would be better defensively than JBO playing the two. We also have Perkins. I think CMAC might be better at the 2-guard than JBO, because at least CMAC isn't a defensive liablity and rebounds.

If ulis hadn’t had that air ball (and I like ulis -just an observation) I’m not sure Joe would have come back in.
I don’t think he would have either. I want to see all the Hawks play well regardless of who’s in the game, but hopefully that sequence (he had a couple defensive lapses and the turnover in the backcourt) will open Fran’s eyes a bit as to which guy he should be having in the game down the stretch. If you’re going to ride with your vets (Connor, Jordan, Rebraca) down the stretch, then you have to include Toussaint in there as well

Great win, but they need to improve to win some games on the road. The defense was a lot better in 2nd half.

A glimmer of hope on defense. They need to bring the effort consistently.

Maybe the terrible refs were just trying to help us!? Sure seemed to fire up the team and Carver 🤣

I would sit PMAC and leav in in Rebraca as center to take most of the post fouls. Bring in some Mulvey and JoshO for other center minutes.

I woudn't mind Keegan-Kris-PMac in a zone and the interchangeable 3 guys around 6'8+----can work against poor shooting teams like Indiana and Maryland. Lot of teams will destroy a zone with 3pt shooting.
PMac sat most of the 2nd half. McC went with the hot hands, and that and the defense/rebounding held IN to 26 pts in the 2nd half. Great game by the Hawks, including the reserves. They didn't give an inch in the 2nd half. Incredible effort.

Iowa won the rebounding battle tonight. Kris (11) and Keegan (9) gathered more than half of Iowa's 35 rebounds. Kris had 29 points on 12 of 18 shooting, 3 steals, 3 blocks and 2 assists tonight. The only other player Iowa has that could even dream of putting up those numbers is Keegan. Stop screwing around and play them both as many minutes as you can Fran.

How about Kris riding the pine all year so far?
Strong take tonight. In case you haven't noticed, there have been games where he has been a liability.
Love his potential, but, take the good with the bad with a inexperienced Kris Murray.

I think some Ulis + JoeT together would be better defensively than JBO playing the two. We also have Perkins. I think CMAC might be better at the 2-guard than JBO, because at least CMAC isn't a defensive liablity and rebounds.
No question. JBos minutes are really starting to piss me off.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Breakout game for Kris. Obviously the game MVP.

This always means he wasn't practicing well but something clicked and now he suddenly is playing like
he had the same DNA as Keegan. Never mind he spent last season glued to bench.

It doesn’t make sense to me either. He’s a third year player and has a full year of starting under his belt but doesn’t receive half the trust that the other vets get
Style of play maybe? But man he has been playing so much more under control this yr, and he causes problems on both ends of the floor. Tough thing is, Ulis comes in and we extend the lead then it’s hard to go away from what’s working.
Just frustrating wondering what joe needs to do to gain some trust. Been playing extremely well and doesn’t get his leash loosened at all.

Iowa won the rebounding battle tonight. Kris (11) and Keegan (9) gathered more than half of Iowa's 35 rebounds. Kris had 29 points on 12 of 18 shooting, 3 steals, 3 blocks and 2 assists tonight. The only other player Iowa has that could even dream of putting up those numbers is Keegan. Stop screwing around and play them both as many minutes as you can Fran.
It’s going to be tough making it through the Big Ten gauntlet with our lack of size, but if we somehow make it to March, I think we’ll see a lot more teams in the mold of Indiana who have athletic-but-not-humongous front court players that Iowa matches up a lot better against

Strong take tonight. In case you haven't noticed, there have been games where he has been a liability.
Love his potential, but, take the good with the bad with a inexperienced Kris Murray.
In case you haven't noticed, Kris has the best metrics of anyone on the team not named Keegan. It's more good than bad and it's better than anyone not named Murray.

Style of play maybe? But man he has been playing so much more under control this yr, and he causes problems on both ends of the floor. Tough thing is, Ulis comes in and we extend the lead then it’s hard to go away from what’s working.
Just frustrating wondering what joe needs to do to gain some trust. Been playing extremely well and doesn’t get his leash loosened at all.
Yeah Ulis initially came in and played well, which is what he’s supposed to do off the bench. But that needs to be his role, in my opinion - come in to spell Toussaint for 10-15 minutes per game (in the middle of the halves) and not allow much drop off. He’s not to a point where he should be more trusted than Toussaint down the stretch

Another dumb take. We play 6 th year guys who aren’t playing well instead of investing in a player with higher potential.Anne if he played more minutes earlier this type of game would be more the norm.

Do guys want both of them drafted this year? That would leave us with a team that gets coaches fired next year.😛

They also made the same amount of 3s and Connor's % was better from 3 and the ft line tonight :)

Another dumb take. We play 6 th year guys who aren’t playing well instead of investing in a player with higher potential.Anne if he played more minutes earlier this type of game would be more the norm.
This! We have a legit lottery nba player on our team. Develop Kris, Perkins, Ulis, Big O and maybe we do something in tourney. Jbo and Connor ceiling is really low.

Kris has had the opportunity to go 29 and 9 all year. Given the opportunity, he will do that every night? Hasn't done it.

• Haha
Reactions: HotelAlphaWilcoKilo
Exactly, this was point in season last year we were all screaming for Keegan to start. Fran will be last to see light. Expect 30 min Pmac game in minny
It was actually a few weeks earlier for me, but yeah... I agree. And I wouldn't be surprised by Kris getting 15 next game either. That's exactly what happened last year. It's maddening.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT