ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Iowa vs. Nova rd. 2 game thread*****

Do we have to come out for the second half? Right now, I think a forfeit would be better for our national image.
I say we should come out hand checking like crazy and see if we can get by with it. If everybody fouls out, so be it. Also be nice to shoot a few baskets but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: spiderland
Exactly. Love love Woody and what he did for Iowa. But I'm looking forward to Cook and Kreiner at center. A new era with better athleticism.

Woody was a role player you bring in to matchup against teams with Bigs that rely on post scoring. Versus teams that go small, he belongs on the bench.

Still, the reason we are losing is we lack athleticism/desire to defend in man to man and we lack guards. Our two stars can't beat opponents off the dribble. IN the face defense, they folded.

Not that it would have made any difference - but with as the first half deteriorated into disaster, it was nice to see Fran stick with his 2 fouls you sit rule.

No sense of urgency at all. But - make sure you stick to the script!

Reactions: villagehawk
Sometimes you're just not good enough. It sucks but this reality has been unfolding over the last month of basketball. The top 10 ranking was fools gold.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
We need ATHLETIC guards or the 2018-2021 teams will be like this team: Good NOT great. No evidence Fran can recruit athletic guards. Props on his 2 sons, Smith, Bohannon, Heiselkamp---but also need some ATHLETES!

IOWA does not suck. Please people and all you nay sayers. Iowa has limitations and it just has happened. Villanova has won more games over the last 3 years? than any other team. Never reached sweet 16 and what do you expect? Please ban me before I go off or again... just shut down the thread and good night.
well go off because these team does suck our seniors are playing like freshman in high school.

Not that it would have made any difference - but with as the first half deteriorated into disaster, it was nice to see Fran stick with his 2 fouls you sit rule.

No offense but if we were counting on AC to bring us back that's an issue.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Hard to be objective in the midst of a blowout, but in retrospect this team really fell victim to the law of averages. They will end the season about where we expected them to. They just took the most painful path to that point be winning most of their games at once.

Moving forward, I hope Fran places more emphasis on teaching good shot selection and defense as opposed to quick shot selection.

I've enjoyed watching this group of seniors and am happy to see the progress the program has made over the past 5 years. However, it appears we have plateaued unless Fran can figure out how to build a more balanced group. I think he can with the talent coming in.

Reactions: NorthCentralHawk
Sweet 16 was the ceiling for this Iowa team. Looks like they will fall short of that by one game. I just hope they show some balls and at least lose by less than 20.

Clemmons was not going to make a difference. They only stuck with Villanova for awhile because Baer hit shots.

Reactions: NI hawk
You have to play defense to play it aggressively. There is always an open Nova player or Iowa player backing off the man with the ball

Earlier in the first half, a Villanova player caught a pass on the perimeter. He fumbled the pass, but was so wide open that he still had time to recover & drain what amounted to a HORSE set-shot. Typifies not just this game, but the last 10.

Iowa looks scared.
Most points allowed in a half by Iowa this year! Real focus here? Fran should sit the Seniors the 2nd half and start working with what he has for next year. How sad!!! It reminded me of the Globetrotters vs the Generals....
Why? To spite kids who spent 4 years representing your college? You want your coach to humiliate his senior players to punish them? Come on. Show some respect for your players.

Well, those rain gutters aren’t going to clean themselves. See you guys in September.

We need ATHLETIC guards or the 2018-2021 teams will be like this team: Good NOT great. No evidence Fran can recruit athletic guards. Props on his 2 sons, Smith, Bohannon, Heiselkamp---but also need some ATHLETES!

Fran's sons and Bohannon aren't the answer if you're looking for athletes. I think Fran needs to shakeup his coaching staff and bring in a defensive guru.

No offense but if we were counting on AC to bring us back that's an issue.

Nobody is saying that AC was gonna bring us back, but it's still a very fair question why not bring back AC when things are going that bad and we are turning the ball over?

Only thing to see is them come out and play with some heart. They are going to lose, no doubt but just at least go down fighting and not play like a bunch of wimps.

Obviously the seniors will play a ton but I would love to see the young guys play a lot here. Let Williams run the point to get experence. Let Wagner and Uhl get some time banging against their bigs. Let Baer keep doing what he's doing.

IOWA does not suck. Please people and all you nay sayers. Iowa has limitations and it just has happened. Villanova has won more games over the last 3 years? than any other team. Never reached sweet 16 and what do you expect? Please ban me before I go off or again... just shut down the thread and good night.

The last month and a half Iowa HAS sucked. Big time. Finished the Big Ten season 2-6. Villanova might be good, but we haven't played them every game in this stretch. Even if they are the best team in the country, this would be a bad effort for a 16 seed playing a one.

Good riddance. You've been a plague on this board all season. Wish a few more bitchy whiners would leave with you.

This sucks, the end of the season has been ridiculously bad, we have problems with players not executing and coaches not coaching to our expectations, but the utter lack of class by most of the frequent posters here tells me the karma we are getting a dose of is well deserved. Iowa fans as a whole are weak and until that changes, the teams we cheer for will reflect that.

And yeah....I'm an Iowa fan through and through; that's not changing despite the ass hats around me in the fan base.

UNI would not beat this Villanova team. That said, yeah, Iowa guys are soft in Man to Man.

UNI has enough guts & discipline to give this team all they want. Wouldn't surprise me if it came right down to the end.

Fran has to recruit guards. You need a PG that can create his own shot, not game manager.
You need a center that can block shots if you are going to extend pressure.
You need 3 guys that can score. Having to zone because you have a bunch of guys that can't guard in man to man is a problem.

Exposed. Embarrassed. How else can you describe this.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
My pet peeve re: a coach/manager with any sport ... the lack of creativity/intellect and ability to adjust when things don't go to plan.

Regardless of how you feel about AC and Woodbury ... how do you possibly stick to that stupid 2 fouls / you sit script as the season slips away? Calling a timeout down 21 at under 1 minute was just insulting.

It was a weird year. January was an aberration.
A first round NCAA win, followed by a blowout second round loss.
The path was unpredictable. The ultimate outcome not so much.

Trying to find some positives here. Seriously, I don't think ANY team in the B1G would have been able to handle 'Nova in that first half. I choose to praise Nova's effort and excellence rather than disparage our kids. The Wildcats are hitting on all cylinders. Not much can be done when that is the case.

UNI has enough guts & discipline to give this team all they want. Wouldn't surprise me if it came right down to the end.

B.S. they would not fold like this, but they would not win. Iowa tries to run and play fast with a bunch of white guys, that model doesn't work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT