ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting vs psu

Anyone who thinks Cael isn't playing the role of John Wooden has their head in the sand (or up their a$$)

You get 9.9 scholarships per year. That's it. Yet they have 16 guys who were P4P top 20 on their roster and wouldn't attend any university if not given a full ride. How does that happen? Are you serious Clark? They have multiple reserves who were top 20 overall recruits,

Penn State is BY FAR the dirtiest player in the game and it isn't even close. Cael turns a blind eye to what is obviously going on and plays the "I know nothing about it" card that Wooden so famously played. He knew that in order to build his dynasty, he needed recruiting to be at the forefront. He had to go to a place where morals are left at the door. Hence...he ends up at Penn State.

THE HERMENATOR

Anyone who thinks Cael isn't playing the role of John Wooden has their head in the sand (or up their a$$)

You get 9.9 scholarships per year. That's it. Yet they have 16 guys who were P4P top 20 on their roster and wouldn't attend any university if not given a full ride. How does that happen? Are you serious Clark? They have multiple reserves who were top 20 overall recruits,

Penn State is BY FAR the dirtiest player in the game and it isn't even close. Cael turns a blind eye to what is obviously going on and plays the "I know nothing about it" card that Wooden so famously played. He knew that in order to build his dynasty, he needed recruiting to be at the forefront. He had to go to a place where morals are left at the door. Hence...he ends up at Penn State.

THE HERMENATOR
He built a program that is now considered a kids best chance at winning a championship but also a club that will give them a chance to one day represent their country. Kids take less to be a part of all that.

So stop whining. There's no cheating going on. He just took a page from Gables playbook.. build something where a kid can't possibly say no. The comparison of the two is blinding.

Oh wait, put a big fat X on that last paragraph and forget you even read it. Bad comparison. Cuz...well...cuz Dan Gable cheated.

So many champions that ya’ll are certain Cael’s cheating. Thank you for the compliment. We all know about Mr Lee’s sudden job opening a couple weeks after Spencer’s commitment. We all know that Eierman’s credits weren’t going to transfer until a secret closed door meeting reversed that.Iowa has quite a few kids on the payroll as well. Where’s that HWC money going? Hmm.

He built a program that is now considered a kids best chance at winning a championship but also a club that will give them a chance to one day represent their country. Kids take less to be a part of all that.

So stop whining. There's no cheating going on. He just took a page from Gables playbook.. build something where a kid can't possibly say no. The comparison of the two is blinding.

Oh wait, put a big fat X on that last paragraph and forget you even read it. Bad comparison. Cuz...well...cuz Dan Gable cheated.
You are an idiot.

Take a look at how many under the radar, WALK-ON recruits Dan Gable got a hold of and lead to the national championship. Then do the same with Sanderson.

When Dan Gable ran out of scholarships, he looked for under the radar recruits who might fit his style of personality. He didn’t go to the boosters and tell them to find a way to make it happen, so he could nab the #1 and #3 recruits in the country.

Cael just looks the other way.

THE HERMENATOR

Reactions: HawkeyePA
So many champions that ya’ll are certain Cael’s cheating. Thank you for the compliment. We all know about Mr Lee’s sudden job opening a couple weeks after Spencer’s commitment. We all know that Eierman’s credits weren’t going to transfer until a secret closed door meeting reversed that.Iowa has quite a few kids on the payroll as well. Where’s that HWC money going? Hmm.
The man worked at Carnegie Mellon. Let me repeat that...Carnegie Mellon. Are you trying to say that coe is on par with or more prestigious than Carnegie Mellon? Lol. You act like Harvard opened the door to allow Spencer to wrestle at Iowa. Get out of here with that crap. Larry Lee earned his right to work at any college in the nation. He didn’t need Spencer to go to Iowa to get the coe job. Not that that even makes any sense but hey, you’re the one trying to make that connection. And I don’t know what you’re saying about eierman and his credits but everyone I know who has ever transferred has gotten all or damn near all of their credits approved. As a matter of fact, I know a person who took all of their community college credits with them to your beloved penn state. Iowa, like coe, isn’t Harvard academically so what’re you saying? And you want to talk about hwc money? Come on Snyder...Taylor...Gilman...zain...nolf...cenzo...Valencia and so on and so forth. Just stop it.

• Love
9.9 scholarships can go further than some people seem to think.

Let's say you have 4 guys on full ride, 3 guys on 80%, and 3 guys on 60%. That's your starting lineup, and you still have room for 3 more guys on 40% and 3 more on 10-20%. This is assuming no academic scholarships whatsoever which may also be able to help.

And I think it's reasonable that for a team that's won 8 out of the last 10, some wrestlers would be willing to take less to wrestle there than take a full ride somewhere else.

When Dan Gable ran out of scholarships, he looked for under the radar recruits who might fit his style of personality. He didn’t go to the boosters and tell them to find a way to make it happen, so he could nab the #1 and #3 recruits in the country.

I'm an Iowa fan through and through, but Iowa under Gable got sanctioned by the NCAA for giving more scholarship money than was actually available.

Let's say you have 4 guys on full ride, 3 guys on 80%, and 3 guys on 60%. That's your starting lineup, and you still have room for 3 more guys on 40% and 3 more on 10-20%. This is assuming no academic scholarships whatsoever which may also be able to help.

And I think it's reasonable that for a team that's won 8 out of the last 10, some wrestlers would be willing to take less to wrestle there than take a full ride somewhere else.

I'm an Iowa fan through and through, but Iowa under Gable got sanctioned by the NCAA for giving more scholarship money than was actually available.
I believe they were given direction by the B1G who was wrong.

You are an idiot.

Take a look at how many under the radar, WALK-ON recruits Dan Gable got a hold of and lead to the national championship. Then do the same with Sanderson.

Cael just looks the other way.

THE HERMENATOR
No no... when Gable ran out of scholarships, he cheated and gave more than was allowed by the NCAA. Yeah, yeah, the B10 told him it was okay to do. Wink wink. Maybe, but it doesn’t change the facts. He cheated in broad daylight, an Iowa athletics is on record admitting as much.

It’s well documented that every wrestler in the PSU room gets “something.” Even the 4th string practice partner gets something. It’s also well documented that there are no full rides in the PSU room. Bo Nickal didn’t get anywhere near a full ride. Most kids are willing to spend $10-$20k over fours years (in the form of accepting less scholarship money) to become a national champion and/or world champion.

It’s well documented that every wrestler in the PSU room gets “something.” Even the 4th string practice partner gets something. It’s also well documented that there are no full rides in the PSU room. Bo Nickal didn’t get anywhere near a full ride. Most kids are willing to spend $10-$20k over fours years (in the form of accepting less scholarship money) to become a national champion and/or world champion.
Inwould like to see that documentation. Penn St has walk ons who get nothing.

My numbers were in no way reflective of how PSU's roster actually works out, just an example of how something could be spread out reasonably to keep everything under 9.9 still.

Reactions: Gray52
It’s more of an investment with a guaranteed return. A lot of salary going out of NLWC, in 2018 it was more than the total assets of the HWC. Interesting to see the salary breakdown. That doesn’t include the Penn State Wrestling club that pays some travel expenses for ‘members’

You’re telling us that tight lipped Carl has an open book on who is getting how much scholly $ like Bo? And you, Joe Fan, knows how much the parents are willing to spend. The PSU supporters are VERY dialed into their wrestlers family wealth more than any fan base ever.

Don’t you realize that using “Gable could only do it by cheating” only further supports the likelihood that “Carl can also only do it by cheating.” Carry on though, this is good stuff.

Last edited:
i'd like to see this big list of penn st world champions, pretty short list so someone is selling these kids a lode of bullcrap.

Reactions: rider57
It had been approved by big 10. Yes correct. Ncaa did not agree. Iowa’s lost some scholies over a few years after Gable retired. That cost Jimmy Z big time.
Other Big 10 programs were doing the same thing and I'm pretty sure it wasn't limited to wrestling.

THE HERMENATOR
Proof that Cael/PSU cheats?---I will wait

i'd like to see this big list of penn st world champions, pretty short list so someone is selling these kids a lode of bullcrap.
How many world champs does Iowa have under Brands? Cejudo under Terry? And he isn't a hawk obviously.

Just stepping on a rake here and I'm an iowa fan.

How many world champs does Iowa have under Brands? Cejudo under Terry? And he isn't a hawk obviously.

Just stepping on a rake here and I'm an iowa Accordi

These clowns aren't comparing Carl to the Brands though. They think he's so above the Brands that they're comparing him to Gable, so you've gotta look at world/olympic champs from his era.

Reactions: evashevsky58
nobody stated kids are coming to iowa for free because they will be world champ, you fake iowa fan. i've known since you got here that you are pst troll.

nobody stated kids are coming to iowa for free because they will be world champ, you fake iowa fan. i've known since you got here that you are pst troll.
If you don't think becoming an olympic and world champion is a major selling point Brands uses, you haven't been paying attention. All of his recruits talk about it. He talks about it constantly.

I'm the fake fan, but you can't be bothered to pay attention? You're just a cult member.

• Haha
Reactions: rider57
Are you under the impression Brent Metcalf is a world champion?
Just a reminder to a supposed Iowa fan that HWC has had a few athletes who have had success at t6 international level.

Last edited:
Just a reminder to a supposed Iowa fan that HWC has had a few athletes who have had success at t6 international level.
I never said they didn't. The other guy was saying PSU hasn't produced many world champs. They've produced more than Iowa. It's not a winning argument.

Apparently accepting basic reality means you're not a true fan?

Reactions: TarpHawk
I never said they didn't. The other guy was saying PSU hasn't produced many world champs. They've produced more than Iowa. It's not a winning argument.

Are you referring to Penn State world champs or Cael coached world champs?

Are you referring to Penn State world champs or Cael coached world champs?
Cael. I don't think champs produced before either Brands' or Cael's tenure are relevant. Cael has Varner and Taylor. Terry has Cejudo.

"PSU doesn't produce world champs" is an all-time self-own when they have more than Iowa under the current regimes.

Ill take you and @jmadden1998 as PSU fans with a Hawkeye bent.

Maybe tHR would accept JTS over here, in a kinder gentler world.

I think the list is David Taylor.
You really have no idea what’s currently in State College, do you? Here’s a quick medal count when a potential recruit walks into the Penn State practice room. I might have missed a few, so I apologize in advance...

29 NCAA Gold medals
4 Olympic Gold
1 Olympic Silver
5 World Gold
4 World Silver
5 World Bronze

Does that qualify as a list?
My challenge to you... give me the list of what’s currently in the Hawkeye room when a recruit walks in? “Hey look! There’s Spencer! And over there is... umm... hey did I mention Spencer?”
So... 3 NCAA Gold medals?

Edit: I forgot about the Brands Bros medals. So I looking at another 5 freestyle medals and 4 NCAA Golds? My bad.

Last edited:
Ill take you and @jmadden1998 as PSU fans with a Hawkeye bent.

Maybe tHR would accept JTS over here, in a kinder gentler world.
k0jPoN6.gif

You really have no idea what’s currently in State College, do you? Here’s a quick medal count when a potential recruit walks into the Penn State practice room. I might have missed a few, so I apologize in advance...

29 NCAA Gold medals
4 Olympic Gold
1 Olympic Silver
5 World Gold
4 World Silver
5 World Bronze

Does that qualify as a list?
My challenge to you... give me the list of what’s currently in the Hawkeye room when a recruit walks in? “Hey look! There’s Spencer! And over there is... umm... hey did I mention Spencer?”
So... 3 NCAA Gold medals?

Edit: I forgot about the Brands Bros medals. So I looking at another 5 freestyle medals and 4 NCAA Golds? My bad.
Half/ more of that came from other programs!!! Not penn st.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT