ADVERTISEMENT

Soldier Salute Session IV Thread

Agreed. I was surprised at the hate the crowd had for the Ferraris. It surprised me because they cheered like mad when they won earlier in the tourney.
The crowd hated the behavior they observed with their very own eyes. Are you missing that part? Ferrari pi$$ed off the crowd with his antics. Hundreds if not thousands of Iowans simultaneously found his behavior to be unacceptable.

Since you brought it up...Rathjen, cmon man, you won the soldier salute, not a freaking national championship.

I get he was amped up but for a guy who had done absolutely nothing so far his antics were a bit overboard.
Im sorry i disagree. That kid has had to watch others go and all the hype around ferraris had to wear on him. I totally get it and love it by him

I don't think el dub is being sarcastic...just trying to figure out how the fans simultaneously hated the guy and cheered for him the entire tournament. I must admit that I'm a little confused by this as well.
okay well they cheered for him in every other match except the one tonight. Tonight they yelled all sorts of shit from minute one.

Reactions: el dub
Since you brought it up...Rathjen, cmon man, you won the soldier salute, not a freaking national championship.

I get he was amped up but for a guy who had done absolutely nothing so far his antics were a bit overboard.
Rathjen was fine until the push from Ferrari, which set him (Rathjen) off. Then Rathjen was like "hey a$$hole" and started with the flexing and chest-pounding.

Did you actually see the whole thing happen??
I don't think he did; he's just jaw-jacking. That's why it's worth paying $14.99 to BTN+ so one can actually watch what really happened before running their mouths. I'm telling you right now, if we lose the Ferrari's this entire anti-Ferrari crowd is going to be crying puppy dog tears and hating TnT next year because we're once again not competitive. I watched Gabe put on a much bigger flexing demonstration than anyone and I loved it. Good for him; he's a fired up college kid! 149 Ferrari didn't do anything wrong and was the much bigger - by a long shot - person in defeat than Rathjen was in victory.

And as for AJ, I just got done watching that match and the post-match shit. I haven't read all the posts yet, but if, once again, one actually watches the video one will see that it was Glazier was every bit involved in the post match activities as AJ. In fact AJ did the typical "I just won and now I'm going to push you and your head down because I can" maneuver, which ignited Glazier (which I loved seeing), which in turn ignited AJ. And that "punch" that caused the DQ wasn't half as close as I saw in the Rocky I - Rock IV movies. That missed Glazier by at least 6 inches. It was more of a FU throw, followed by a FU finger. So in the end, I think the FU finger was the worst thing I saw.

I beg those of you who haven't watch the video to please do so. The horror stories you're being fed aren't as bad as you think. And all the shit against the 149 Ferrari is just that, shit. That kid pushed in response to Rathjen's push and again was a much better loser than Rathjen was a winner. And I don't hate Rathjen; I'm glad he was fired up. But if you're going to point a finger please watch the video so you know where to point your finger. As for AJ, I think he wrestled like shit against Glazier...and kudos to Glazier for not taking any shit and keeping it close. But the post match activities were pretty weak. Yep, weak fist thrown and yep, very blatant "you're number one" finger was also thrown. But again, all pretty weak.

Some of you younger guys, please Google TnT matches from their college days, and read some of the shit their opponents said about them, and then come back and tell me how bad it really was tonight. We need to focus on controlling the emotions (a little), keeping the fire hot and room competition even hotter, and doing what it takes to make this team better. Try to see the good side of our team and don't focus on what others want you to see or think. Are you men who see what you see and make your own decisions or are you f'ing ants who wander through life following the ant in front of him.

If one didn't like Gabe (and how could you not like Gabe), one could have easily gone the f**k off the reservation WRT his post match antics, flexing, etc. But for the most part nobody did because he's Gabe and we love the guy.

Look at all the extracurricular shit you see when watching college or pro football games; there's nasty shit happening numerous times each game and nobody's getting thrown off teams and the fan bases aren't asking for their $10m/year cornerbacks, linebackers and safeties to be kicked off the team because they gave somebody the finger or threw a punch or acted like dicks. It's just the heat of the moment. And those guys aren't nearly as up close and personal for the same continuous duration as the fellas on the wrestling mats. We need to be better fans. I mean this is wrestling after all. Just my very wordy two cents.

I don't think he did; he's just jaw-jacking. That's why it's worth paying $14.99 to BTN+ so one can actually watch what really happened before running their mouths. I'm telling you right now, if we lose the Ferrari's this entire anti-Ferrari crowd is going to be crying puppy dog tears and hating TnT next year because we're once again not competitive. I watched Gabe put on a much bigger flexing demonstration than anyone and I loved it. Good for him; he's a fired up college kid! 149 Ferrari didn't do anything wrong and was the much bigger - by a long shot - person in defeat than Rathjen was in victory.

And as for AJ, I just got done watching that match and the post-match shit. I haven't read all the posts yet, but if, once again, one actually watches the video one will see that it was Glazier was every bit involved in the post match activities as AJ. In fact AJ did the typical "I just won and now I'm going to push you and your head down because I can" maneuver, which ignited Glazier (which I loved seeing), which in turn ignited AJ. And that "punch" that caused the DQ wasn't half as close as I saw in the Rocky I - Rock IV movies. That missed Glazier by at least 6 inches. It was more of a FU throw, followed by a FU finger. So in the end, I think the FU finger was the worst thing I saw.

I beg those of you who haven't watch the video to please do so. The horror stories you're being fed aren't as bad as you think. And all the shit against the 149 Ferrari is just that, shit. That kid pushed in response to Rathjen's push and again was a much better loser than Rathjen was a winner. And I don't hate Rathjen; I'm glad he was fired up. But if you're going to point a finger please watch the video so you know where to point your finger. As for AJ, I think he wrestled like shit against Glazier...and kudos to Glazier for not taking any shit and keeping it close. But the post match activities were pretty weak. Yep, weak fist thrown and yep, very blatant "you're number one" finger was also thrown. But again, all pretty weak.

Some of you younger guys, please Google TnT matches from their college days, and read some of the shit their opponents said about them, and then come back and tell me how bad it really was tonight. We need to focus on controlling the emotions (a little), keeping the fire hot and room competition even hotter, and doing what it takes to make this team better. Try to see the good side of our team and don't focus on what others want you to see or think. Are you men who see what you see and make your own decisions or are you f'ing ants who wander through life following the ant in front of him.

If one didn't like Gabe (and how could you not like Gabe), one could have easily gone the f**k off the reservation WRT his post match antics, flexing, etc. But for the most part nobody did because he's Gabe and we love the guy.

Look at all the extracurricular shit you see when watching college or pro football games; there's nasty shit happening numerous times each game and nobody's getting thrown off teams and the fan bases aren't asking for their $10m/year cornerbacks, linebackers and safeties to be kicked off the team because they gave somebody the finger or threw a punch or acted like dicks. It's just the heat of the moment. And those guys aren't nearly as up close and personal for the same continuous duration as the fellas on the wrestling mats. We need to be better fans. I mean this is wrestling after all. Just my very wordy two cents.
Huh? Did you continue to watch the AJ post match antics when he did the splits and FU'ed the home crowd? Considering all of the fiery competitive gestures one could imagine over decades...I can't think of anything that approaches that.

It’s amazing to watch rationalizing happen in real time. Why did you leave out the part when AJ gave the bird to the crowd?

Huh? Did you continue to watch the AJ post match antics when he did the splits and FU'ed the home crowd? Considering all of the fiery competitive gestures one could imagine over decades...I can't think of anything that approaches that.
No because that would invalidate his argument. He thinks we are too stupid to notice.

The last time I watched an athlete give the bird to fans was AJ Brown for the Bucs. He’s never played another down in the nfl.

The kid could vey well be a rapist for crying out loud. Is everyone suppose to just forget that? And now hes acting like an idiot and giving the bird to fans in the arena and we're suppose to now condone that? You want us to pretty much enable this kid and his poor behavior for a f****ng sport? Like I said, he may have raped someone and your answer is to just keep giving him the benefit of the doubt. You know why there are so many repeat offenders in this world? Because we act like the shit they are accused of is no big deal and we allow them to continue to be meatheads in every way possible all the way up until they are imprisoned. And then society acts like they played no role in helping him become the degenerate that he has become.

Hello. There has been a room issue with the Ferraris everywhere they have gone. At least 2 highschools and a college.

I have zero doubt they will divide the Hawk room, which IMO is more important than the shit shows we will see publicly.

I want a strong Iowa program, the best thing that can come from this is AJ is gone before he really started. Hopefully, the youngest will weather the storm and stay committed, without family pressure poisoning the well. It's time for AJ to look at WWE or MMA, and the idea of a package deal is mute.
I’m not in the room. I know people that are. We’ll see. I’m on the side that this isn’t going to work.

Reactions: vhsalum
I competed on competitive wrestling teams in HS and college. Wrestlers get chippy. Every program I have been apart of has had fights. Tonight’s antics were pg13 compared to the room. With all that said. I have no issues with anything that happened tonight from the flexing, pushing, slapping, reffing, and didn’t even have a problem with the first bird given to Glazier by AJ. It was the double bird to the crowd while doing the splits that was ridiculous. Everything else was boys will be boys testosterone. The on going fu** you to the crowd was stupid.

Rathjen was fine until the push from Ferrari, which set him (Rathjen) off. Then Rathjen was like "hey a$$hole" and started with the flexing and chest-pounding.
Nah, Rathjen gave him a little shove after the final whistle blew. It wasn't much but as amped up as he has been he may have added in a colorful comment as well. Anthony got up and gave a more aggressive push in the back but Rathjen definitely initiated the post-match pushing.

I competed on competitive wrestling teams in HS and college. Wrestlers get chippy. Every program I have been apart of has had fights. Tonight’s antics were pg13 compared to the room. With all that said. I have no issues with anything that happened tonight from the flexing, pushing, slapping, reffing, and didn’t even have a problem with the first bird given to Glazier by AJ. It was the double bird to the crowd while doing the splits that was ridiculous. Everything else was boys will be boys testosterone. The on going fu** you to the crowd was stupid.
I thought doing the splits was the most impressive part of the whole episode. If this had happened at a D3 school like ISU, this would be a nothing burger.

One can’t help but be impressed by the mental gymnastics on display in this post. Well done, my friend. I’m truly impressed.

I must have missed Gabe swinging at a prospective teammate or giving the Iowa coaching staff and the Iowa fans the finger. You can rationalize all you want but this was not AJ’s altercation. Tom took a huge chance and it has not gone well. Desperation often leads to bsd results.

It's one thing if the opponent is some random dude from a different school rather than a teammate. What is the common denominator in this? The brothers.

Reactions: el dub
I walked out of the area frustrated and totally on AJs side. After settling down on the car ride home and watching the videos I'm more frustrated and still on AJs side though less so. I'm very frustrated with how the match was handled by everyone including the officials. I think AJ got totally screwed on the double stalling calls. I love Glacier and what he has done this year but I think most people understand that AJ is just a better athlete / physical specimen. I think AJ was just trying to wrestle a somewhat quiet match and get it over with. I'm assuming he was not feeling great after the cut and time of the mat and the emotions of the whole thing. He I think just wanted to ride Zach out enough to get riding time and cruise through the rest of the match. I think the ref was way to quick with the stalling calls. They were not way out of bounds but I feel like the ref should have read the room better after that it was a mess on all sides.
That was/is AJ’s style. Keep it close and win at the end.

You can't judge Anthony and Angelo based on the actions of their older brother. The 149 final was a big nothing burger to me. And after the shove Anthony shook Rathjen's hand and took the loss like a man. By all indications Anthony has done all the right things since he's been in Iowa City. IF Anthony stays or is allowed to stay I say you absolutely redshirt him. My eyes tell me he's way too sucked up for 149. Rathjen is our guy this year. Let Anthony continue to develop and grow into a big 157 next year, and let him prove himself in the classroom and show the Iowa team and Iowa City community that he can stay out of trouble.

The kid could vey well be a rapist for crying out loud. Is everyone suppose to just forget that? And now hes acting like an idiot and giving the bird to fans in the arena and we're suppose to now condone that? You want us to pretty much enable this kid and his poor behavior for a f****ng sport? Like I said, he may have raped someone and your answer is to just keep giving him the benefit of the doubt. You know why there are so many repeat offenders in this world? Because we act like the shit they are accused of is no big deal and we allow them to continue to be meatheads in every way possible all the way up until they are imprisoned. And then society acts like they played no role in helping him become the degenerate that he has become.
Look at you throwing stones...and then following it up with blah, blah, blah. Were you there when whatever went down between AJ and the girl? Nope. So you really don't have a f'ing clue. You just like to talk based on what others have encouraged you to believe. So you're basically an ant, going through life following the ant in front of you. How do I know you're not a rapist? I don't. And therefore I'm not going to call you a rapist or a degenerate or talk about how you're going to end up in prison. How about we talk wrestling?

Ferrari boot lickers before today: I’m ok with him coming in with very specific guidelines for behavior.

Ferrari boot lickers after he takes a swing at a guy and is facing suspension for flagrant misconduct, before even being enrolled in school: Well his fist wasn’t fully closed and it didn’t land. So not a big deal.

Oh, and a guy was excited and flexed. So there.

Fantastic.

Thank you for posting this, my friend. I just finished watching college football...saw much more egregious post play interaction during that game than what I saw from Glazier and Ferrari. Again, I didn't appreciate the finger or the punch that completely missed, but it's heat of the moment stuff. We need to not do it, but I think some of our posters are going a bit overboard with the "that's it; he needs to go" talk. If he joins the team we need to do what we can to make him a better teammate.

It's one thing if the opponent is some random dude from a different school rather than a teammate. What is the common denominator in this? The brothers.
What brothers? The 49 pounder wasn't the catalyst and certainly wasn't the owner of the shit show at the end of the 49 pound match, but because his last name is Ferrari we throw him in the mix? The common denominator in my opinion is the fan base who seems to be anti-Ferrari. AJ was the owner of the shit show at 97 so say what you want about his post-match antics, but please don't make this all about the Ferrari's. Rathjen owns the 49 shitshow. And good for him for being fired up! I'm not for the Ferrari's or against the Ferrari's; I'm for the Hawks and I'm trusting that TnT know what they're doing. That said, I am quite tired of the whining based on one's family name. This reminds me of that Paul Newman movie, Slapshot, and the Hanson brothers. We have two of the Hanson brother on the team and because they're not the same as the rest of the team we don't like them. Perhaps like the Hanson brothers we'll all end up liking them when all is said and done...if we actually give them a chance. And trust me, some people on this forum are not giving them any chance. Hate, hate, hate like we're all a bunch of f'ing angels.

I've said it before, but I ask some of the younger posters to check out some old TnT college wrestling videos...talk about attitude, attitude which ended up with TnT winning how many individual titles while the Hawks were winning how many team titles? All I ask is to let TnT do their jobs. Like it or hate it, whatever does or does not happen WRT the Ferrari's lies on their shoulders.

Ferrari boot lickers before today: I’m ok with him coming in with very specific guidelines for behavior.

Ferrari boot lickers after he takes a swing at a guy and is facing suspension for flagrant misconduct, before even being enrolled in school: Well his fist wasn’t fully closed and it didn’t land. So not a big deal.

Oh, and a guy was excited and flexed. So there.

Fantastic.
i shouldn’t be, but i’m stunned there are people still rationalizing this.

HE DID THE DOUBLE BIRD SPLIT TO THE IOWA FANS FOR CHRIST’S SAKE

I just…..wow. All this cost us was Chittum.
I don't agree with this at all. Chittum was in the room for a year, easily 6 months before any Ferrari entered the picture.
That was long enough to officially commit or sign his NLI and it didn't happen.

Perhaps not Cody, but his dad was looking for an out and found one. He wasn't staying no matter what happened.

i shouldn’t be, but i’m stunned there are people still rationalizing this.

HE DID THE DOUBLE BIRD SPLIT TO THE IOWA FANS FOR CHRIST’S SAKE
See, now that I didn't see in the Soldier Salute video feed from BTN+. And had I seen it I would in no way be OK with it. But at the same time I'm not dreaming of throwing a kid off the team for a heat of the moment, knee jerk reaction as felonious as double fingers to the crowd. That said, this is why TnT get paid the big bucks. I will trust that they either develop AJ into a stellar Hawk or release him from the team. But I'm not dreaming of releasing anyone for giving the bird, single or double. Not happy with it, but not going to kick him off the team.

One of the Hawks at the time I used to love watching, Sam Stoll, got into trouble with law enforcement and was "formally charged with 'false report to public entity.' The simple misdemeanor charge can result in up to 30 days in county jail and a fine of up to $625." That said, I don't recall anyone giving one of my favorite wrestlers at the time the boot for said charge. So all I'm asking for is some perspective. What's the maximum sentence for giving the double bird during the heat of the moment at Soldier Salute? One match suspension? I don't know. But I do know I don't want to piss away a chance at an NCAA champ because he's got anger issues. Hell, we're talking about wrestlers; I wish we had a few more with anger issues on our team. Kidding of course, but you get my point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT