ADVERTISEMENT

Too early for a lineup prediction thread?

VS tOSU...
125-Lee fall Heinselman, 6-0 Iowa
133-Pletcher dec. Murin, Pletcher isn't great at getting bonus points, 6-3 Iowa
141-McKenna dec Turk, could be bonus, 6-6
149-Lugo dec. Hayes, tossup but favors Lugo, 9-6 Iowa
157-Kemerer dec. Jordan, another tossup that favors Iowa, 12-6 Iowa
165-Marinelli dec. Campbell, 15-6 Iowa
174-Romero dec. Young, 15-9 Iowa
184-Mymar MD Cash, 15-13 Iowa
197-Moore dec. Warner, tossup, 16-15 tOSU
HWT-Singletary dec. Stoll, Singletary is going to be a problem and I think he is a matchup nightmare for Stoll, 19-15 tOSU

Tossups will decide this dual.

VS PSU
125-Lee TF Teske, 5-0 Iowa
133-RBY dec. Murin, 5-3 Iowa
141-Lee MD Turk, Lee is just going to keep getting better as he was only a true freshman this year, 7-5 PSU
149-Verkleeren dec Lugo, 10-5 PSU
157-Nolf dec. Kemerer, yawn, 13-5 PSU
165-Cenzo dec. Marinelli, I know it is an unpopular opinion on here but I think Marinelli was really lucky to beat Cenzo the first go round and think Cenzo wins 7/10 times, 16-5 PSU
174-Hall MD Young, 20-5 PSU
184-Nickal MD Cash, 24-5 PSU
197-Warner dec. Shakur, 24-8 PSU
HWT-Stoll dec. Nevills, 24-11 PSU

They are really good if you didn't know already.

VS Okie St.
125-Lee vs. Fix, tossup. Love watching these two go at it. Hold til end
133-Pic dec Murin, 3-0 OSU
141-Brock dec. Turk, 6-0 OSU
149-Lugo dec. Gfeller, 6-3 OSU
157-Kemerer dec. Boo/Martinez, 6-6
165-Marinelli dec. Smith, tossup, 9-6 Iowa
174-Rogers dec. Young, 9-9
184-Smith dec. Cash, 12-9 OSU
197-Warner dec. Weigel, 12-12
HWT-Stoll dec. White, 15-12 Iowa

I don't see a way Iowa loses this one with lots of tossups going OSU's way and they're up by three at the end. I am already excited to watch Fix and Lee wrestle. I hope to God Fix goes 125. They could have an epic rivalry.

Reactions: Dagboi
Serious question here. Does Carl only recruit Mormon kids? He has a lot of religious kids on his team and I know several have taken missions. Jw since the mention that his wrestlers talk just like him.
Faith in God seems to work for many of these kids. Hmmm

Reactions: evashevsky58
Serious question here. Does Carl only recruit Mormon kids? He has a lot of religious kids on his team and I know several have taken missions. Jw since the mention that his wrestlers talk just like him.
No, he doesn't just recruit Mormon kids. I have no idea how many current kids are, the only one I am certain of is former wrestler Matt Brown (and his brother who transferred from ISU I suppose), and I think he took his Mission before he went to PSU IIRC - he was recruited to Iowa State and he was fairly old when he competed and ultimately graduated.

I don't recall a single kid on his starting team that has been on any mission other than the wrestling variety, nor have I ever heard of one of them speak of it for down the road (granted I am not all things PSU either - as odd it as may seem I am an Iowa Fan on an Iowa Board............). They may be religious kids, a good share of them, but they aren't all Mormons ( I clearly do not know, but I would guess the large majority are not).

But Cael is all things to many out East, so maybe he has them all converted by now.....................;)

Iowa has had several Mormon kids on their team as well. HWT. Bradley from P.A. being the last I believe, and he never set foot on a mat at Iowa, but completed his Mission before arriving IIRC.

No, he doesn't just recruit Mormon kids. I have no idea how many current kids are, the only one I am certain of is former wrestler Matt Brown (and his brother who transferred from ISU I suppose), and I think he took his Mission before he went to PSU IIRC - he was recruited to Iowa State and he was fairly old when he competed and ultimately graduated.

I don't recall a single kid on his starting team that has been on any mission other than the wrestling variety, nor have I ever heard of one of them speak of it for down the road (granted I am not all things PSU either - as odd it as may seem I am an Iowa Fan on an Iowa Board............). They may be religious kids, a good share of them, but they aren't all Mormons ( I clearly do not know, but I would guess the large majority are not).

But Cael is all things to many out East, so maybe he has them all converted by now.....................;)

Iowa has had several Mormon kids on their team as well. HWT. Bradley from P.A. being the last I believe, and he never set foot on a mat at Iowa, but completed his Mission before arriving IIRC.
Thanks for a thorough response 23!

Reactions: 24 so far
VS tOSU...
HWT-Singletary dec. Stoll, Singletary is going to be a problem and I think he is a matchup nightmare for Stoll, 19-15 tOSU

VS PSU
141-Lee MD Turk, Lee is just going to keep getting better as he was only a true freshman this year, 7-5 PSU
165-Cenzo dec. Marinelli, I know it is an unpopular opinion on here but I think Marinelli was really lucky to beat Cenzo the first go round and think Cenzo wins 7/10 times, 16-5 PSU

VS Okie St.

I don't see a way Iowa loses this one with lots of tossups going OSU's way and they're up by three at the end. I am already excited to watch Fix and Lee wrestle. I hope to God Fix goes 125. They could have an epic rivalry.

133-Pletcher dec. Murin, Pletcher isn't great at getting bonus points, 6-3 Iowa (Pletcher did not even major Glynn.)
141-McKenna dec Turk, could be bonus, 6-6 (McKenna might RS, could be Hayes here. Either way I don't see bonus and an Iowa upset not impossible. )
149-Lugo dec. Hayes, tossup but favors Lugo, 9-6 Iowa (Jordan could be here.)
157-Kemerer dec. Jordan, another tossup that favors Iowa, 12-6 Iowa. (If Jordan moves a Freshman here.)
165-Marinelli dec. Campbell, 15-6 Iowa.
174-Romero dec. Young, 15-9 Iowa. (Romero has done nothing in college for this to be anything more than a toss)
HWT-Singletary dec. Stoll, Singletary is going to be a problem and I think he is a matchup nightmare for Stoll, 19-15 tOSU (Singletary does not have the size/strength to do anything to Stoll)

VS PSU (Iowa does not wrestle PSU next year)
125-Lee TF Teske, 5-0 Iowa (A fall could easily happen)
141-Lee MD Turk, Lee is just going to keep getting better as he was only a true freshman this year, 7-5 PSU (sure, only Lee will get better)
149-Verkleeren dec Lugo, 10-5 PSU (No way any evidence to make this pick)
HWT-Stoll dec. Nevills, 24-11 PSU (this can go either way but I'll take your pick)

133-Pletcher dec. Murin, Pletcher isn't great at getting bonus points, 6-3 Iowa (Pletcher did not even major Glynn.)
141-McKenna dec Turk, could be bonus, 6-6 (McKenna might RS, could be Hayes here. Either way I don't see bonus and an Iowa upset not impossible. )
149-Lugo dec. Hayes, tossup but favors Lugo, 9-6 Iowa (Jordan could be here.)
157-Kemerer dec. Jordan, another tossup that favors Iowa, 12-6 Iowa. (If Jordan moves a Freshman here.)
165-Marinelli dec. Campbell, 15-6 Iowa.
174-Romero dec. Young, 15-9 Iowa. (Romero has done nothing in college for this to be anything more than a toss)
HWT-Singletary dec. Stoll, Singletary is going to be a problem and I think he is a matchup nightmare for Stoll, 19-15 tOSU (Singletary does not have the size/strength to do anything to Stoll)

VS PSU (Iowa does not wrestle PSU next year)
125-Lee TF Teske, 5-0 Iowa (A fall could easily happen)
141-Lee MD Turk, Lee is just going to keep getting better as he was only a true freshman this year, 7-5 PSU (sure, only Lee will get better)
149-Verkleeren dec Lugo, 10-5 PSU (No way any evidence to make this pick)
HWT-Stoll dec. Nevills, 24-11 PSU (this can go either way but I'll take your pick)

PSU could also move Cortez (if healthy) into 141 and Lee at 149 which would mean two likely AA for them and Iowa could hope to win one match between the two.

Your second paragraph says it all.

Are there walls around the PA border which won't let Brands come in?

Why can't he recruit in PA?. In fact he has, with Kemerer and now Lee.

Brands closes on one great kid and Sanderson closes with 3 great kids.

Sanderson is simply a much better recruiter.

And Kaleb Young....And Max Murin

Lineup:
125: Lee= Champ
133: Transfer= hoping for rd of 12. 133 gets all 8 back plus Suriano, Fix & probably Lizak
141: Murin/Turk= Low AA-rd of 12. A lot coming back at 141 next year also.
149: Lugo= Top 5, as crazy as that sounds it's Very possible.
157: Marinelli=Top 4, ok I am going to get blasted for this but I honestly believe this is happening. I might also add he is a bad matchup for Nolf. Jo Jo should be back in the mix here unless he is at 165.
165: Kemerer= Top 3, he gets to eat and hopefully stops growing.
174: Young= Low AA to rd of 12. He has been packing on some Good weight and he is definitely a upgrade!!
184: Bowman/Wilcke= Low AA to rd of 12. I like Bowman due to more offense and he seems to want it more. Cash could surprise me but as crazy as it sounds I think Bowman is better for the team
197: Warner= Top 3, going to similar year to Lee. He he NOT that good but you guys will really like what he brings to the table.
Hwt: Stoll= Top 2, it will be Nevils & Sam in the finals. Similar to Coon & Snyder. Neither not as good but it will be those 2 and then everybodyelse. Battle for 3rd will be interesting between 1 RS Frosh(Singletary) and 1 True Frosh(Stevensen).
Should be a 4 or 5 team race. Psu, Iowa, Oky State, Ohio State and NC State.
You very well may see Marinelli and Kemerer flip weight classes. For Iowa to have any chance at a team title next season, they are going to need contributions at all 10 weight classes. I truly believe the recipe to success is an ideal replacement at 133 and 174. Wilcke will be just fine at 184.
NC State has no chance to be inside the top 5 next season as they graduate 5 seniors and Ohio State losing their fab trio is just asking just too much in my opinion. Watch out for Okie State. With Fix, Gfeller and Jo Jo Smith inserted into the lineup they will definitely be a threat.
If Iowa can produce (3) National champs and (10) AA's, then they have an outside chance to win it all. Otherwise, another year in which I think you see them battling for second and third.

Reactions: Dagboi
Iowa-OSU guess
125-Lee p whoever they’ll have. Mead/Heinselman? 6-0
133-Pletcher d Glynn 6-3
141-McKenna d Turk/Murin 6-6
149-Lugo d Hayes 9-6
157-Kem d Jordan 12-6
165-Bull d Campbell 15-6
174-Young d Romero? Not sure who they’ll have here 18-6
184-Martin md Cash 18-10
197-Moore d Warner 18-13
285-Stoll md Singletary 22-13

Moore's days at 197 are done. Moore is a heavyweight now. Stoll vs Moore. Warner vs whoever gets the spot there for the Tan man, but it won't be Moore.

125 Lee vs Teasdale
133 Transfer vs RBY
141 Turk vs Nick Lee
149 Lugo vs Berge
157 Kem vs Jason
165 Bull vs Cenzo
174 Gunther vs Hall
184 Cash vs Bo
197 Warner vs Cassar/Shak
Hwy Stoll vs Nevills part 4 and then part 5 at B1Gs.

Toss ups here to me are at 149, 197, and Hwy. I also don't count the Bull win over Cenzo as a fluke as other Penn Staters do, that's another close one with Cenzo as very slight favorite. Turk vs Lee is also a good battle. To say that we win for certain is false: This could be the match that we lose next year, we being PSU. However, the match will need to be set up like it was a few years ago because the Big Ten schedule makers nearly as big a joke as Tan Tom's home fries and seeding committee was this year, lol.

You very well may see Marinelli and Kemerer flip weight classes. For Iowa to have any chance at a team title next season, they are going to need contributions at all 10 weight classes. I truly believe the recipe to success is an ideal replacement at 133 and 174. Wilcke will be just fine at 184.
NC State has no chance to be inside the top 5 next season as they graduate 5 seniors and Ohio State losing their fab trio is just asking just too much in my opinion. Watch out for Okie State. With Fix, Gfeller and Jo Jo Smith inserted into the lineup they will definitely be a threat.
If Iowa can produce (3) National champs and (10) AA's, then they have an outside chance to win it all. Otherwise, another year in which I think you see them battling for second and third.
Don't tell them that over at the tanning beds, lmao. They're forecasting some great transfer(I don't care if its Jesus christ himself, he's getting decked by Spencer) at 125, magical improvement at heavyweight, a freshman coming in for Bojo and duplicating his points, and then more hocus pocus, leading to the promised land(tanning beds) for them. They are myopic. 3rd place, IF that.

Reactions: SDHN2013
You say 120 and I 150. So 135 is the middle. I win at 136 or above, you win 134 and below. 1K each now to HWC. We'll find out in a year who wins.
What's wrong? You're backpedaling on 150 already? You're so confident with +15 here and +15 there, then put your money where your mouth is and back up your 150+ prediction rich guy.

Not back pedaling Stud, you're given 15 points leeway on what you think, same as me. Do you have the balls to bet and have the funds support HWC?
Wait, you're giving me 15 points leeway MORE than my prediction and 15 points LESS than your prediction?? LOL ya that's fair. Why don't you just put it on +-150 and back up your prediction stud?

Been a hawkeye fan my whole life, albeit a realistic hawkeye fan.

The $ still go to HWC. The prediction is 150 and the bet is 135, since you think the Hawks will only score 120. It doesn't really matter, except that HWC gets 2k. Put up or shut up.

You're realistic? OK

A year ago, would you have bet a year ago that Lee and Stoll would outpoint any bookends, including Snyder and Nato? Or that Iowa would score more bonus points than any other team? No one would, yet they did.

We have the horses to get 150 points. Do we need to stay healthy and perform our absolute best? Yes! PSU is the favorite, but we can win.

Lets bet.

But why does Nickel love Cael? He’s still using moves he’s been hitting since 6th grade? Kid is a tool, sorry I try not to poke at athletes but he opened himself up for it with his ridiculous comments. Even the Cornell kid (Palacio?) that beat Kemerer last year in the semis sounded saner in his post match interview.
So true. After a wrestler has had time to cool down, he can give intelligent, sane interviews like Sammy's :rolleyes: ...

The $ still go to HWC. The prediction is 150 and the bet is 135, since you think the Hawks will only score 120. It doesn't really matter, except that HWC gets 2k. Put up or shut up.

You're realistic? OK

A year ago, would you have bet a year ago that Lee and Stoll would outpoint any bookends, including Snyder and Nato? Or that Iowa would score more bonus points than any other team? No one would, yet they did.

We have the horses to get 150 points. Do we need to stay healthy and perform our absolute best? Yes! PSU is the favorite, but we can win.

Lets bet.
Boys boys boys. While I don't think we are going to hit 150 next year, I appreciate the fan that tries to explain how that's going to happen. After sitting through a miserable Big10's 1 row removed from the worst fans in the big 10, Fosu, I was prepared for a disaster in Cleveland. In the end, their performance, excluding Cash and Deiter Von Gunth, gave me hope. I am inspired by anyone that thinks we can hit 150 next year. I would like to point out that the max point total is 30 I believe, so Spencer can only increase by 3 points, but I say he pins the field next year and gets those extra 3 points.

It may look like we don't have a shot next year, but we did just accumulate more bonus points than anyone else, who saw that coming? It's a new day in Iowa Wrestling, I will believe this until I see differently. For the first time in a long time, we are moving the right direction. Let's leave the petty squabbling to the psu trolls, of which I blocked 3 more from just this one thread.

You're realistic? OK

Lets bet.
Are you simple or what?? Where do i start?
First, the bet is for 1k, how is hwc going to get 2k?
Second, i never agreed to any bet pertaining to hwc.
Third, why in the hell would i make a bet for 135? You're cutting 15 points off your prediction to make it more winnable for yourself.
Maybe someone close to you can read this and explain it to you. Put your money where your mouth is and bet on the 150 you predicted they'd score rich guy!

Last edited:
pat i'm sorry i jumped in, if you are a hawkeye i would like to cover half of this bet with Mr. Nichols. If iowa scores 136 points next year we will each give hwc $500 and if iowa scores less Mr. Nichols gives 1K to hwc and i hope i have to pay.
No apology necessary. I won't be betting on anything pertaining to 135. I believe 120 is probably max. He predicted 150, so i dont know why he's making the bet 135 when neither of us predicted that.
Also, I'm a lifelong hawk fan. Just a little more realistic than some who have black and yellow eye balls.

Third, why in the hell would i make a bet for 135? You're cutting 15 points off your prediction to make it more winnable for yourself.
Maybe someone close to you can read this and explain it to you. Put your money where your mouth is and bet on the 150 you predicted they'd score rich guy!

Lol! Math is hard.

You say Iowa will score no more than 120. With the proposed bet you would win even if they score 134 points.

He picked 135 because that's halfway between your prediction and his. Again, math.

Lol! Math is hard.

You say Iowa will score no more than 120. With the proposed bet you would win even if they score 134 points.

He picked 135 because that's halfway between your prediction and his. Again, math.
When he predicted 150 why would i agree to a bet of 135? I think they max out at 120, but 135 is a hell of a lot more attainable than 150. He was pretty confident they're gonns score 150, why not bet on that?

When he predicted 150 why would i agree to a bet of 135? I think they max out at 120, but 135 is a hell of a lot more attainable than 150. He was pretty confident they're gonns score 150, why not bet on that?

To prove you are as willing to stand by your prediction as he is willing to stand by his.

Frankly, if they score 145 he would look like a genius. Btw, I only get the impression that he's "confident" that they can score 150; not they they will get there.

Reactions: woodsiding
VS tOSU...

VS PSU

VS Okie St.

Hayes is pretty salty. Got to take an AA over Lugo by a point or two.

What? Every guy out there this weekend loves their coach, not just at PSU. Ever listen to Gilman, Metcalf or any other Iowa wrestlers talk?

And with that lineup of 49-84, Anyone on this board couldve coached that team to a team title. Cael is a great coach, but let’s not say he’s the second coming of Christ because his lineup is absolutely stacked and he didn’t win squat at ISU when he didnt have the resources that he does now.

This!

All the deification of Cael is somewhat one dimensional. He's no Gable. Yes, PSU has won a bunch of ncaa titles. And it has mainly been done by recruiting consensus #1 guys at virtually every single weight. Everyone else plays catchup. PSU's whole lineup is stacked with top 10 p4p guys.

Here are very elite HS wrestlers - the top 3 p4p (from d1 site and FLO).

2007 - Gardiner, Z Kemerer, A White
2008 - J Welch, Scott Winston, Mario Mason
2009 - David Taylor, E Grajales, C Perry
2010 - Logan Steiber, A Alton, C Villalonga
2011 - Morgan McIntosh, D McCauley, Megaludis
2012 - Tsirtsis, Massa, Gulibon
2013 - B Jordan, Coon, Retherford
2014 - Snyder, Marsteller, Brill (inj), (Nolf)
2015 - A Valencia, L Massa, Z Valencia
2016 - Hall, Marinelli, Suriano
2017 - Fix, S Lee, Diakomihalis
2018 - Steveson, Carr, Wittlake, (Brooks)

In that list, several were age level world gold medalists in FS - Coon, Retherford, Snyder, Hall, Fix, S Lee, Diakomihalis, Steveson, Brooks.

A few of these were 2x world JR gold medalists- Hall, Lee, and Steveson.

Some others were jr or cadet national FS champions - Stieber, Alton, Taylor, Grajales, McIntosh, McCauley, Tsirtsis, Massa, Marsteller, A and Z Valencia, Carr.

Brands is a great coach, but got his first top 3 guy in his 10th year at Iowa, Marinelli, and the second with S Lee, last year. Whaddya know... Lee was spectacular and Marinelli, with a bum knee, AA'd.

Meanwhile Cael, in his 9 years, has gotten Taylor, A Alton, McIntosh, Megaludis, Gulibon, Retherford, (Nolf), Hall, (Suriano). He had Wittlake until he decommited, and recently got 2018 World cadet gold medalist Brooks (#4 in 2018 class). Not to mention numerous other guys in top 10 p4p.

Gotta give Cael his due....he has recruited top tier guys to PSU like no other coach in history.

Since it's impossible to argue logic with an illogical simpleton, such as yourself, I'll drop it.

Thanks for playing

This!

All the deification of Cael is somewhat one dimensional. He's no Gable. Yes, PSU has won a bunch of ncaa titles. And it has mainly been done by recruiting consensus #1 guys at virtually every single weight. Everyone else plays catchup. PSU's whole lineup is stacked with top 10 p4p guys.

Here are very elite HS wrestlers - the top 3 p4p (from d1 site and FLO).

2007 - Gardiner, Z Kemerer, A White
2008 - J Welch, Scott Winston, Mario Mason
2009 - David Taylor, E Grajales, C Perry
2010 - Logan Steiber, A Alton, C Villalonga
2011 - Morgan McIntosh, D McCauley, Megaludis
2012 - Tsirtsis, Massa, Gulibon
2013 - B Jordan, Coon, Retherford
2014 - Snyder, Marsteller, Brill (inj), (Nolf)
2015 - A Valencia, L Massa, Z Valencia
2016 - Hall, Marinelli, Suriano
2017 - Fix, S Lee, Diakomihalis
2018 - Steveson, Carr, Wittlake, (Brooks)

In that list, several were age level world gold medalists in FS - Coon, Retherford, Snyder, Hall, Fix, S Lee, Diakomihalis, Steveson, Brooks.

A few of these were 2x world JR gold medalists- Hall, Lee, and Steveson.

Some others were jr or cadet national FS champions - Stieber, Alton, Taylor, Grajales, McIntosh, McCauley, Tsirtsis, Massa, Marsteller, A and Z Valencia, Carr.

Brands is a great coach, but got his first top 3 guy in his 10th year at Iowa, Marinelli, and the second with S Lee, last year. Whaddya know... Lee was spectacular and Marinelli, with a bum knee, AA'd.

Meanwhile Cael, in his 9 years, has gotten Taylor, A Alton, McIntosh, Megaludis, Gulibon, Retherford, (Nolf), Hall, (Suriano). He had Wittlake until he decommited, and recently got 2018 World cadet gold medalist Brooks (#4 in 2018 class). Not to mention numerous other guys in top 10 p4p.

Gotta give Cael his due....he has recruited top tier guys to PSU like no other coach in history.
Makes you wonder how he does it. It’s almost.........magic!

Reactions: bammhawk1
Since it's impossible to argue logic with an illogical simpleton, such as yourself, I'll drop it.

Thanks for playing
Illogical and simple would be used to describe someone who thinks their team is going to score 150 points with 3 weights scoring next to nothing and only 1 returning champ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT