ADVERTISEMENT

Aj's enrollment

I have spoken with AJ a few times. I will say what really struck me was how humble he's been. Just a complete gentleman. Very much like Austin. Austin is very calm, quiet, and polite off that mat. On the mat he's obviously intense. AJ will do plenty of flexing, and probably some other look at me stuff under the adrenaline of competition. But I can say he's been great around the other guys. Our top guys in the HWC and college team really like him. You can choose to believe it or not, but I think he will be a leader with his work ethic. He will push guys in the weight room and on the mat. He's been around a couple of open workouts and is the type to be first one there and last to leave.

Also asking about dating your daughter. One day AJ's girlfriend, her parents, AJ, and AJ's parents were in the room on a visit. I was sitting next to them and started talking. Turns out AJ's gf is looking at going in the medical field. Her father is a Chiropractor on the East coast. The point is a medical professional is fine with AJ dating his daughter. The daughter is going into some area of the medical profession. These are educated people who have more information than anyone on here.

Also to Wild Turk.. A lot of people remember the bullshit you said about Stoll a few years ago. Are you still that person or did you grow up and change?

I didn't post this to vouch for AJ or change anybody's mind. I was just giving some factual information for fans to digest. There's a lot to like when you talk to AJ, and watch him work out and interact with Keuter, Real, Tony, Spencer, Kennedy, etc. AJ knows that he alone is responsible for how his Iowa legacy is written.

I have spoken with AJ a few times. I will say what really struck me was how humble he's been. Just a complete gentleman. Very much like Austin. Austin is very calm, quiet, and polite off that mat. On the mat he's obviously intense. AJ will do plenty of flexing, and probably some other look at me stuff under the adrenaline of competition. But I can say he's been great around the other guys. Our top guys in the HWC and college team really like him. You can choose to believe it or not, but I think he will be a leader with his work ethic. He will push guys in the weight room and on the mat. He's been around a couple of open workouts and is the type to be first one there and last to leave.

Also asking about dating your daughter. One day AJ's girlfriend, her parents, AJ, and AJ's parents were in the room on a visit. I was sitting next to them and started talking. Turns out AJ's gf is looking at going in the medical field. Her father is a Chiropractor on the East coast. The point is a medical professional is fine with AJ dating his daughter. The daughter is going into some area of the medical profession. These are educated people who have more information than anyone on here.

Also to Wild Turk.. A lot of people remember the bullshit you said about Stoll a few years ago. Are you still that person or did you grow up and change?

I didn't post this to vouch for AJ or change anybody's mind. I was just giving some factual information for fans to digest. There's a lot to like when you talk to AJ, and watch him work out and interact with Keuter, Real, Tony, Spencer, Kennedy, etc. AJ knows that he alone is responsible for how his Iowa legacy is written.
I think the dad you speak of calls himself Dr. discipline, and owns the gym AJ works out at a lot, so probably know him pretty well. I would never boo him or any Hawkeye, but some of you go right ahead and do what have to do to make you feel better.

What's done is done so let's move forward. What's our lineup now w/ both Ferrari brothers and (maybe) Gabe and Ben?

I'm sure it's been covered but I have been out of pocket for a spell - so go ahead and indulge me. Thnx

Reactions: Rustys Dad
My take on AJ. I don't know anything about the guidelines; but, I am sure they are in place. Brands did a great job reeling in Montell and ADS. I will give AJ a chance. I hope he takes full advantage of the opportunity given him. Also, special thanks to all teammates and the Arnold family for helping with the guidance.

Is it like pulling your shirt, all previous unattached matches count for you official record?
I really do not know the formalities for wrestling but I do not see how he or anyone can compete for the team until the semester actually starts. But again, I don't claim to know the rules. I just made an assumption. Unless a redshirt is available, I don't think it matters if the matches count on your record or not. I guess that is why even the non-starters have a listed won/loss record each season. Matches from in season tournaments.

Thanks for the insight acuhawk. I always appreciate first hand info about things instead of speculation. I'm glad you shared this with us, regardless of who wanted to hear it.

I think the dad you speak of calls himself Dr. discipline, and owns the gym AJ works out at a lot, so probably know him pretty well. I would never boo him or any Hawkeye, but some of you go right ahead and do what have to do to make you feel better
Not sure why you think I need to feel better. I simply offered a recent first hand account of my experience with AJ. I personally don't care who does or doesn't root for him. My opinion of him will be based on how he represents Iowa wrestling. So far I have a good impression. I also like him a little more because it makes other teams/fans upset. Especially Dresser and company who snuck the Cuban strangler through admissions while simultaneously badmouthing Iowa.

I really do not know the formalities for wrestling but I do not see how he or anyone can compete for the team until the semester actually starts. But again, I don't claim to know the rules. I just made an assumption. Unless a redshirt is available, I don't think it matters if the matches count on your record or not. I guess that is why even the non-starters have a listed won/loss record each season. Matches from in season tournaments.
The number of matches that a wrestler gets in is important for qualifying consideration and getting an additional auto bid to Big Dance. The NCAA will determine how many auto qualifiers for each weight class.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
The number of matches that a wrestler gets in is important for qualifying consideration and getting an additional auto bid to Big Dance. The NCAA will determine how many auto qualifiers for each weight class.
I was more or less talking about non starters but I understand what you are saying in regards to someone who starts at the semester and what is needed for post season tournaments.

I really hope this is true.

Actually, I would assume unattached until classes start.
That’s what I thought myself, need to try to find the post about it, think it was on twitter. Is the salute an open where he can wrestle even not being affiliated with a school, if he’s not enrolled yet? I have no idea how that works.

I have spoken with AJ a few times. I will say what really struck me was how humble he's been.

Also asking about dating your daughter. One day AJ's girlfriend, her parents, AJ, and AJ's parents were in the room on a visit. I was sitting next to them and started talking.
Sheeesh. Did you happen to ask the GFs parents if they had read any of AJs own social media posts about other girls their daughter's age, AJ had graced with his gentlemanly ways?

Not sure why you think I need to feel better. I simply offered a recent first hand account of my experience with AJ. I personally don't care who does or doesn't root for him. My opinion of him will be based on how he represents Iowa wrestling. So far I have a good impression. I also like him a little more because it makes other teams/fans upset. Especially Dresser and company who snuck the Cuban strangler through admissions while simultaneously badmouthing Iowa.
You don’t, I’m talking about the small hand full of never Ferrari guys on here.

Sheeesh. Did you happen to ask the GFs parents if they had read any of AJs own social media posts about other girls their daughter's age, AJ had graced with his gentlemanly ways?
Goggles, I know that you were playing HS basketball and just discovered wrestling when PsU became good, so I will cut you some slack with some advice. Just stop here. This is not going to work out the way you want.

The Stollhouse cookie comment from 7 years ago? 🤣 He truthfully needed to eat less and workout more at the time. He was slow, plodding and rarely took a shot. Cassioppi was a breath of fresh air at Heavyweight if we are being honest. Kueter will continue that trajectory thankfully.

-AJ is humble, a gentleman, and is suitable to date all of our daughters because his girlfriend's dad is a Chiropractor. Duly noted

Last edited:
Reactions: Rotisserie Scrotz
The Stollhouse cookie comment from 7 years ago? 🤣 He truthfully needed to eat less and workout more at the time. He was slow and plodding. Cassioppi was a breath of fresh air at Heavyweight if we are being honest. Kueter will continue that trajectory thankfully.
I’ll second that. Stollhouse was painful to watch at times. He had more success than Dan E, but I preferred watching the Danimal. Tony is a great Hawk, love watching him compete (except vs Gable and Mason Perris) 😉. Big fat heavies tend to be a snooze fest.

I’ll second that. Stollhouse was painful to watch at times. He had more success than Dan E, but I preferred watching the Danimal. Tony is a great Hawk, love watching him compete (except vs Gable and Mason Perris) 😉. Big fat heavies tend to be a snooze fest.
Not sure that fat Tony wasn’t better than skinny Tony, however.

Reactions: PrairieHawk24
The Stollhouse cookie comment from 7 years ago? 🤣 He truthfully needed to eat less and workout more at the time. He was slow, plodding and rarely took a shot.

Except you made the comment after his first varsity match, at the Grapple on the Gridiron. He then won 20 of his next 21 matches. In his only healthy season at Iowa he was 5th in the country. The guy was a freaking warrior.

You’ve made amends since you pulled crap but your attempt to gloss over history can’t go unchecked.

Thanks brother...really appreciate you providing this perspective if you will. If the GF's parents like him that speaks volumes. Even in watching some of his online videos the kid spoke like he was an intelligent kid. Yes, cocky with a big ego, but hey, if I was a 19-year-old with one NCAA wrestling championship title pinned to my name, I'd be pretty fricking cocky and have a bit of an ego myself. Hell I thought I was all that when we won the flag football championship back when I was as private in the Army. LOL!! :)

I think the dad you speak of calls himself Dr. discipline, and owns the gym AJ works out at a lot, so probably know him pretty well. I would never boo him or any Hawkeye, but some of you go right ahead and do what have to do to make you feel better.
I'm with you. I'm going to be cheering for him like a MFer!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HIWILLE
Can’t disagree, both versions were fun to watch though. Tony’s an athlete. Moved really well for a big man.
There are too many other factors potentially contributing to Tony‘s perceived decline in performance after shedding weight. But he did move well for a big man.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
Except you made the comment after his first varsity match, at the Grapple on the Gridiron. He then won 20 of his next 21 matches. In his only healthy season at Iowa he was 5th in the country. The guy was a freaking warrior.

You’ve made amends since you pulled crap but your attempt to gloss over history can’t go unchecked.
So 8+ years ago. I stand corrected. Like i knew then he would win 20 of the next 21 matches. Did you really go back 8 years just to check me with those stats? That was back when Obama still had a year left of presidency and Gilman was a beloved Hawkeye. Times sure have changed in nearly a decade huh? I rooted for Sam to win every match he wrestled in as a Hawkeye btw. He certainly had some good Greco skills.

@SPOONER why do you make it your life's work to be such a pedantic person? Have you always been that way?

Reactions: Lambertt

You lost me at chiropractor=medical professional.

So 8+ years ago. I stand corrected. Like i knew then he would win 20 of the next 21 matches. Did you really go back 8 years just to check me with those stats? That was back when Obama still had a year left of presidency and Gilman was a beloved Hawkeye. Times sure have changed in nearly a decade huh? I rooted for Sam to win every match he wrestled in as a Hawkeye btw. He certainly had some good Greco skills.

@SPOONER why do you make it your life's work to be such a pedantic person? Have you always been that way?

Being it was his first varsity match as a RS freshman is one of the reasons your comment was so idiotic, so it was easy to remember. The details were there in the Google machine when I searched for the calendar year.

Like I said, I’ve come to enjoy you since.

you were starting to sound reasonable until you said you were not trying to vouch for AJ or change anyone’s mind. Of course you were.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT