ADVERTISEMENT

Ayala

Like Tarp Says I guess we see how he does tonight. We already saw him against McKee. Hope we see round 2
i just don’t see the point in not pulling him if they really think spencer is coming back. getting 4 postseasons out of him is better than 3.

if spencer isn’t, then you wait and see how he does the rest of this tournament.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Iowa isn't getting anything from Ybarra. He wouldn't come close to qualifying for Nattys.

If Ybarra wants to be a starter, he'll be in the portal, imo. Not ragging on the kid, but it's kinda obvious that he's not a viable option for the long term.

Drake is a 5-8 type threat, imo.

I think Drake is about a 10-15 point drop from Lee this year, but if Kem does wrestle we still are in a dog fight for a team title so you pull it. I think that will be up to Ayala ultimately though. He is the next best guy at 125 right now at Iowa, that is for sure.

I think that will be up to Ayala ultimately
Hasn't this already been covered?

It's ultimately up to Coach Brands, because he must put Ayala on a mat attached. And if Coach Brands doesn't, Ayala's redshirt is preserved. But sure, all expect Coach Brands would consult with Ayala and family such that they would be on board with Coach Brands' ultimate decision.

With Lee being out the options are Ybarra, & shirt Ayala which equals maybe a qualifier right now. Pull the shirt on Ayala and a potential AA for this year. Next year we assume Lee wrestles then what with Ayala? With that I believe is the answer. Pull the shirt on Ayala this year and redshirt him next year. If you don't he sits this year and next.

PULL IT. He is ready and the team needs him.
Yeah, I haven't seen a scenario where he RS this year and preserves 4 years in the lineup for the postseason. I realize being an AA isn't a given and that's never the goal but the alternative seems to be a lost year. Yeah that happened to Gilman in a way, but he was simply beaten out by CC. I don't see Ayala not being the best option at this point.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I don't think it matters how he does tonight. He's capable of AA placing, Ybarra is not.

I know it's up to Drake but he's our only chance at scoring pts at 25. Then he puts the shirt back on next year for the Spencer victory tour.

Could Ayala wrestle 125 this year and then move up to 133 next year?

IDK, he seems like he's probably a lean 25 right now and we have a 33 who is stacked and looks ready to jump into the lineup next year.
Yup, eyeball Schriever looks quite a bit bigger than Ayala who doesn't look especially big for 125 to me.

With Lee being out the options are Ybarra, & shirt Ayala which equals maybe a qualifier right now. Pull the shirt on Ayala and a potential AA for this year. Next year we assume Lee wrestles then what with Ayala? With that I believe is the answer. Pull the shirt on Ayala this year and redshirt him next year. If you don't he sits this year and next.
Never assume. Think it but don't assume it's going to happen. I don't assume Spencer will be back next year because I think Spencer is done and ready to take the next step. My opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: MVPFAN
With Spencer out I don’t see how this is even a question.

He does look like he needs a year in the weight room to reach his potential.

Reactions: tosal563
With Spencer out I don’t see how this is even a question.

He does look like he needs a year in the weight room to reach his potential.
I see it as a bit of a blessing in disguise…. Ayala goes out this year and gets a taste just how friggin good he is and has a lot of success, red shirts next year and physically matures a bit, and comes out the next year confident AF with his hair on fire and dominates the field. I truly think Drake will have that type of success.

Last edited:
I don't get this Ayala is on the small side thing. He's between 5-6 and 5-7 and I have it on good authority was weighing in the mid 140's over the summer. And was not "fat". The only thing "small" on him would maybe be his biceps. He's got broad shoulders and his lower body is more than fine for a 125.

IMHO he should pull the shirt this year as I have massive doubts he can hold 125 in the 2023/2024 season if Spencer comes back next year and Drake has to sit.

I see it as a bit of a blessing in disguise…. Ayala goes out this year and gets a taste just how friggin good he is and has a lot of success, red shirts next year and physically matures a bit, and comes out the next year confident AF with his hair on fire and dominates the field. I truly think Drake will have that type of success.
I think not only will he AA if he goes this year, I think he gets bonus in the first round or 2 which is big. 3-1 wins don't score many team points at NCAAs. His ceiling is higher than PK's going forward if nothing else because of how loaded 165 is and is going to remain for the next few years.

So...are we telling Tom to pull the shirt or what?

If so, mark me down for 6 NCAA points. We'll need every damn one.
That’s six more than Ybarra. If we’re gonna contend, and that’s always our goal, then you pull the shirt as long as Drake is cool with it. I think he’ll be okay with it.

Reactions: Muscles1989
I think not only will he AA if he goes this year, I think he gets bonus in the first round or 2 which is big. 3-1 wins don't score many team points at NCAAs. His ceiling is higher than PK's going forward if nothing else because of how loaded 165 is and is going to remain for the next few years.
I know PK looks small at 174 but I kinda get the feeling he might do better there.

Reactions: hawkeyeray
He struggles finishing his shots. Does that get better or worse against bigger, stronger wrestlers? And it isn’t like he set the world on fire at 174 last year.
Depends if he feels stronger at 174. He didn't have enough matches to even get the lighter fluid out so hard to tell.

His matches with O’Malley say otherwise. O’Malley is good but middle of the pack at 74. 65 fits him. Just needs to clean up shots. He will be fine
O'Malley is a better freestyle wrestler than him period. The at U23 he lost to him the second time he went on to get third I think beating the hell out of Washington from Indiana in that match.

I wonder if PK was a little under the weather at the Scuffle? Seemed a little less active and could be some of the gas tank issues. Could explain the mff tonight as well. Not making excuses, just wondering if he wasn't 100%.

Seems like Ybarra burned his shirt because he wanted to wrestle in some duals for at least one season and hope to gain enough experience to take the spot the following year. But burning the shirt and then losing the spot to Ayala likely means he heads for the transfer portal...which was the likely outcome in 2023 anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT