ADVERTISEMENT

Fant Tweet

What's a good hybrid name for the two headed monster that is Fant and Hockenson?

Fock?
Fock is very good but will be perceived in some quarters as unfair. As it is there are those who are apparently pissed off about hock getting more reps, now you've gone using 3 letters from Hockenson to just 1 from Fant. So how about Fack?

Are you sure that the poster is a family member or just someone who chose that moniker? I haven't seen anyone post that knows for sure. Besides, since when does being a family member cost them their right to giving their opinion?

Yes, it is a family member. Multiple family members. It’s been confirmed multiple times. But keep burying your head in the sand if you want to.

And if you’re naive enough to believe that a family member’s tweets don’t generate more attention than Joe Schmo fan, then I don’t know what to tell you....

Coach Fant please turn your phone in at the Iowa Football office. It will be returned to you at the conclusion of the current season.

SMH.

Reactions: Front7
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but as it relates to the Minnesota game, Fant and IKM were apparently removed under concussion protocol. Appears they're being monitored anyway.

Everybody keeps saying that Hawk fans shouldn't be worried by what a "family member" of a player is saying on social media.

Well, I think what the Fant family members are doing is disgusting. Calling Iowa football "mediocre" and openly questioning the staff that has put your beloved Noah into talk of a 1st round pick...

If you are one of the Hawk fans that thinks a family members tweets shouldn't be bothersome, then you by definition should also be saying that if Hawk fans tweet back or express dislike of the Fant family's tweets that those shouldn't be bothersome either.

Pretty big differences between the CJ Beathard and Noah Fant situations
Agreed- Iowa has positioned a lightly regionally recruited 3* into the top TE in the country and potential 1st round draft pick. If there is one position in 20 years to not complain about it is TE and Noah Fant is breaking all the records at one of the best (if not the best) developers of TE's in that span. Furthermore, his brother's team is 3-4 and has been blasted the last 4 weeks- not sure he is super credible

I may never forgive BF for NOT throwing the ball to Fant the 2 times he was sent out to the far side of the field and was 1-on-1 with a DB in those crucial red zone possessions against Wisconsin. Would they have produced 14 points instead of the 3 we scored? I think so, but we will never know. I bet the family is justifiably upset about that, too.

Still, we all know he would have another TD this year except that the 3rd play of the season Stanley drops a long ball right into his hands when he had a step or two on the DB. Did he haul it in for a 70-yard score? Sadly, no.

Stanley missed him shortly after MN made the long, double breaking FG, when he was behind everyone. One yard further down the field and Fant had another long TD. Again, that was probably frustrating to the family, but the coaching staff has shown off his skills in enough situations throughout his career that he is widely regarded as the best TE in college football and will be rewarded soon enough. I think the staff deserves the benefit of the doubt in this one and the family should keep their tweets to themselves.

I am still pissed he didn’t get those 2 opportunities against Wisconsin, though.

Agreed- Iowa has positioned a lightly regionally recruited 3* into the top TE in the country and potential 1st round draft pick. If there is one position in 20 years to not complain about it is TE and Noah Fant is breaking all the records at one of the best (if not the best) developers of TE's in that span. Furthermore, his brother's team is 3-4 and has been blasted the last 4 weeks- not sure he is super credible

how many people are going to continue to push this false narrative? Fant had offers from ASU, California, Nebraska, UCLA and Vanderbilt beyond Iowa, ISU, Minnesota, etc. That is a far cry from a 'lightly regionally recruited 3* player' as you suggest.

Fant's family is hardly the first nor will they be the last to publicly question the coaching of their son, it comes with the territory. There is some truth to both sides; Fant has certainly benefited from attending Iowa and learning under KF, BF and others while I can appreciate the families belief that he should be involved more. Does anyone really believe averaging 4 receptions and 40yds per game is sufficient for arguably the most explosive TE in the country? I certainly don't. Sure we have TJ who is also a great player, but I would hope we get more from that position with mismatches that can and should be created on a regular basis.

There is no way that is a H.S. coach making those tweets. Looks like something a 14-year-old would post. If that is truly Noah's adult, coach and teacher (?) brother making those comments, along with similar stuff from his Dad, then that is one sad situation. That's the kinda crap I would expect from the family of a Univ of Miami 5* recruit from the Atlanta ghetto; not something within Hawkeye Nation.

I only hope that somehow this whole thing goes away in a hurry, because like others have mentioned in this thread, this kind of distraction is what can quickly turn a potential 11-1 season into a 7-5 mess.

how many people are going to continue to push this false narrative? Fant had offers from ASU, California, Nebraska, UCLA and Vanderbilt beyond Iowa, ISU, Minnesota, etc. That is a far cry from a 'lightly regionally recruited 3* player' as you suggest.
Maybe a far cry, but which one is any better than the "mediocre" Iowa team?

Fant's family is hardly the first nor will they be the last to publicly question the coaching of their son, it comes with the territory. .
have any examples to show of others parents coming out and talking shit about the entire program on social media?

. Does anyone really believe averaging 4 receptions and 40yds per game is sufficient for arguably the most explosive TE in the country? I certainly don't. Sure we have TJ who is also a great player, but I would hope we get more from that position with mismatches that can and should be created on a regular basis.
Do you think defenses aren't interested in paying a little extra attention to fant? Do you think a good player can be on the field and help his TEAM without getting stats?

Reactions: rivalhawks
I may never forgive BF for NOT throwing the ball to Fant the 2 times he was sent out to the far side of the field and was 1-on-1 with a DB in those crucial red zone possessions against Wisconsin.

Never forgive BF? You mean NS? He has the reins to check into a pass if he sees it. That's not Brian's fault.

Fant's family is hardly the first nor will they be the last to publicly question the coaching of their son, it comes with the territory. There is some truth to both sides; Fant has certainly benefited from attending Iowa and learning under KF, BF and others while I can appreciate the families belief that he should be involved more. Does anyone really believe averaging 4 receptions and 40yds per game is sufficient for arguably the most explosive TE in the country? I certainly don't. Sure we have TJ who is also a great player, but I would hope we get more from that position with mismatches that can and should be created on a regular basis.
Not a single team you listed is remotely good- which further proves my point. Also why throw to a TE that constantly sees bracket coverage. Iowa obviously tries to get him the ball when they can....problem I have is that this Chris Fant is a high school head coach- if he has an issue- fine. But to put it out on social media is childish and that is putting it mildly- seems to have an agenda in my opinion. Also, should know better but might explain his teams struggles at 3-4. Furthermore to post that after an impressive offensive output is just even more ridiculous

Not a single team you listed is remotely good- which further proves my point. Also why throw to a TE that constantly sees bracket coverage. Iowa obviously tries to get him the ball when they can....problem I have is that this Chris Fant is a high school head coach- if he has an issue- fine. But to put it out on social media is childish and that is putting it mildly- seems to have an agenda in my opinion. Also, should know better but might explain his teams struggles at 3-4. Furthermore to post that after an impressive offensive output is just even more ridiculous
preach on!

I may never forgive BF for NOT throwing the ball to Fant the 2 times he was sent out to the far side of the field and was 1-on-1 with a DB in those crucial red zone possessions against Wisconsin. Would they have produced 14 points instead of the 3 we scored? I think so, but we will never know. I bet the family is justifiably upset about that, too.

Still, we all know he would have another TD this year except that the 3rd play of the season Stanley drops a long ball right into his hands when he had a step or two on the DB. Did he haul it in for a 70-yard score? Sadly, no.

Stanley missed him shortly after MN made the long, double breaking FG, when he was behind everyone. One yard further down the field and Fant had another long TD. Again, that was probably frustrating to the family, but the coaching staff has shown off his skills in enough situations throughout his career that he is widely regarded as the best TE in college football and will be rewarded soon enough. I think the staff deserves the benefit of the doubt in this one and the family should keep their tweets to themselves.

I am still pissed he didn’t get those 2 opportunities against Wisconsin, though.
Idk why anybody thinks that is a high percentage play bc it’s not at all

No it doesn't, you're changing your position mid stream. You first suggested Fant was lightly recruited by regional schools. I gave several examples of P5 schools in multiple time zones and now your hedging by saying they aren't very good. Whether the schools that offered him in high school are good this year is irrelevant; he received multiple P5 offers from across the country and while UCLA and CAL might be down, they are still prestigious offers that are anything but regional offers. I'm not here to defend Chris Fant, I don't agree with what he did and he probably regrets what he posted on social media, I was simply pointing out your statement regarding Fant's recruitment was inaccurate. Carry on.

No it doesn't, you're changing your position mid stream. You first suggested Fant was lightly recruited by regional schools. I gave several examples of P5 schools in multiple time zones and now your hedging by saying they aren't very good. Whether the schools that offered him in high school are good this year is irrelevant; he received multiple P5 offers from across the country and while UCLA and CAL might be down, they are still prestigious offers that are anything but regional offers. I'm not here to defend Chris Fant, I don't agree with what he did and he probably regrets what he posted on social media, I was simply pointing out your statement regarding Fant's recruitment was inaccurate. Carry on.
I understand what you are saying but I guess I was just trying to say that he certainly was not a "high profile" recruit. At least not projected to be an All American and 1st round draft pick. The coaches should be credited with his development is the point I am getting at.

Who has been better since 1999...Iowa cal or ucla?
If Iowa is mediocre then those 2 are straight up garbage, especially when you consider the local talent they have access to!

Who has been better since 1999...Iowa cal or ucla?
If Iowa is mediocre then those 2 are straight up garbage, especially when you consider the local talent they have access to!

that has nothing to do with the conversation at hand or my original response. Try to keep up.

I'm guessing Noah has expressed some mild disappointment in his action with his family, and they're just running with it.

when it comes to football, hell no they're not. Are you serious?
Anytime UCLA or Cal offers a kid from Nebraska, I would guess they feel he is an elite talent. Say what you will about their current teams, they don’t recruit the Midwest unless they feel like the kid is a difference maker.

Ok, I've been out of the loop and am not up to speed on this thread. Is it just his family that are being douchebags on social media or is Noah participating on this?

Sounds like he has mostly stayed out of it, but also sounds like he made comments on instagram. Either shut up and play or get out.

Anytime UCLA or Cal offers a kid from Nebraska, I would guess they feel he is an elite talent. Say what you will about their current teams, they don’t recruit the Midwest unless they feel like the kid is a difference maker.
Desperate teams are looking for anything from anywhere-at UCLA a difference maker would maybe get them a win, reminds me of Nebrask

Desperate teams are looking for anything from anywhere-at UCLA a difference maker would maybe get them a win, reminds me of Nebrask
JFC. Sounds like a desperate excuse you made. Old shit gets old.

Yeah, yeah if you don't like it, blah blah ignore me.

I have.

1 step to the outside and then hard slant to the goal line. Absolutely nothing the DB can do. (See 7 got 6 vs MSU 2009). The only thing the DB can do is pass interference which gives us first and 10 at the 2.

I am NOT assuming a fade route to the corner, which has a higher degree of difficulty.

I will disagree with you on this Mile high. Fant is a big target and has a large target radius.

Idk why anybody thinks that is a high percentage play bc it’s not at all

1 step to the outside and then hard slant to the goal line. Absolutely nothing the DB can do. (See 7 got 6 vs MSU 2009). The only thing the DB can do is pass interference which gives us first and 10 at the 2.

I am NOT assuming a fade route to the corner, which has a higher degree of difficulty.

I will disagree with you on this Mile high. Fant is a big target and has a large target radius.
I coach(ed) DB's for year (unemployed now- head coach got fired and so did the rest of us). That being said, if it is single coverage at the goal line the alignment is an inside technique to take away anything inside which is why many teams go to the fade route to the corner. This is taught in 8th grade. That being said BF put him in motion which makes it more difficult to defend because you are in motion while snapped. Wisconsin is fundamentally sound so would assume they wouldn't be line up head up or to the outside.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT