ADVERTISEMENT

Fran McCaffery is only under Contract thru 2023; Time for a lengthy extension

I agree that Fran is safe in his job security.

My frustration is that with no Sweet 16 appearances one-fifth of the way through the 21st century, it appears that Iowa administration (including Barta) is perfectly fine with having a basketball program where the ceiling is making the tournament, while the basement is the 19-20 loss season.

In my opinion, a Sweet 16 should be an attainable goal at a Power 5 program at least once every 10 years. In today's landscape, a Sweet 16 appearance is a sign of relevance. A coach with no Sweet 16 appearances in 10 years is the sign of a program that has accepted being irrelevant in college basketball.
I'm as frustrated as you and then some. We are down 60% of our preseason starters. If Garza returns next season Final 4 or Bust!

I would string him along and buy some time to see if the program does anything after Garza is gone.

I'm as frustrated as you and then some. We are down 60% of our preseason starters. If Garza returns next season Final 4 or Bust!

The bolded part is technically possible, and I doubt that it becomes an expectation... but I'm afraid the expectations for 2020-21 are already very inflated as it is.

Explain this. Compare his salary to other big ten coaches and explain how he is overpaid. Go ahead, I challenge you. I double dog dare you!
Maybe other big ten coaches are overpaid too. I’m not sure there is another 60 year old coach still coaching that has never been to a sweet 16.

Maybe other big ten coaches are overpaid too. I’m not sure there is another 60 year old coach still coaching that has never been to a sweet 16.
I am sure you are aware that Fran McCaffery has taken a team to the sweet sixteen.

You are the expert. How about you look it up?

Does the NIT count? :)

giphy.gif

Give me Bill Self all day, every day, until the end of time.

No one is stopping you from being a fan of whatever team Bill is currently cheating at. In fact, most people here would be more than happy to help you pack your shit and drive you to the airport.

in uh
Absolutely wrong! Tom davis won the 1st round game every year he got in. Which is way more than fran has ever done.

This year will make 5 trips out of 10 to the dance for Fran, at Iowa. If you look at Dr. Tom with his own recruits (say the 1989-90 season and after), he went 6 out of 10.

The main difference is that Davis had teams with his own players earn a 4 seed (1992-93, would've been higher with Chris Street), 6 (1995-96) and 5 (1998-99). Fran has yet to get higher than a 7.

Edge to Davis for sure, but it's closer than some realize.

Fran has done a good enough job to keep me at bay, but big raise and extension? Get past the first weekend of the big dance first and/or seriously content for a Big 10 regular season title.

Extend him a year or two? I'd be OK with that - but let's not go all Gary Barta and give the guy a lifetime contract because he's gotten us to the dance a few times as a middling seed. It's not like the incoming recruiting class he just landed is highly rated, either - we have to hope these guys outperform their rankings. Yeah it could happen, but I'm not ready to see Barta hand Fran a Ferentz-like contract just yet.

Last edited:
  1. Tom Izzo, Michigan State: $4,157,562
  2. John Beilein, Michigan: $3,800,000
  3. Archie Miller, Indiana: $3,250,000
  4. Chris Holtmann, Ohio State: $3,013,750
  5. Brad Underwood, Illinois: $2,850,000
  6. Mark Turgeon, Maryland: $2,847,232
  7. Matt Painter, Purdue: $2,825,000
  8. Tim Miles, Nebraska: $2,375,000
  9. Greg Gard, Wisconsin: $2,350,000
  10. Fran McCaffery, Iowa: $2,300,000
  11. Richard Pitino, Minnesota: $2,188,141
  12. Steve Pikiell, Rutgers: $1,600,000
  13. Chris Collins, Northwestern: $1,507,154
  14. NOT LISTED: Patrick Chambers, Penn State

10th in pay but consistently in the top half of the league.

1. Tom Izzo, Michigan State: $4,157,562
  2. John Beilein, Michigan: $3,800,000
  3. Archie Miller, Indiana: $3,250,000
  4. Chris Holtmann, Ohio State: $3,013,750
  5. Brad Underwood, Illinois: $2,850,000
  6. Mark Turgeon, Maryland: $2,847,232
  7. Matt Painter, Purdue: $2,825,000
  8. Tim Miles, Nebraska: $2,375,000
  9. Greg Gard, Wisconsin: $2,350,000
  10. Fran McCaffery, Iowa: $2,300,000
  11. Richard Pitino, Minnesota: $2,188,141
  12. Steve Pikiell, Rutgers: $1,600,000
  13. Chris Collins, Northwestern: $1,507,154
  14. NOT LISTED: Patrick Chambers, Penn State
10th in pay but consistently in the top half of the league.

I'd rather have the top paid coach and a few league championships and final fours

or even a five seed or two and a sweet sixteen...

.....but I guess thrifty resonates with a lot of folks too.

smh

I'd rather have the top paid coach and a few league championships and final fours

.....but I guess thrifty resonates with a lot of folks too.

smh
And that has what exactly to do with the post you quoted that is simply disputing the claims that Fran is overpaid?

Archie Miller totally manipulated Indiana into that contract!!! Bad choice by Indiana!

Reactions: Hawksfor3

Not sure you can just go buy a five seed or sweet 16. Georgia is paying Crean a boatload of money; not looking so great in year 2. We'll see how it works out...

Last edited:
Have to at least extend him to 2025 or else other coaches will start to use it as ammo on the recruiting trail.

Like that's going to hurt Iowa's recruiting....LOL I'm sure other coaches are just beside them-selves for not recruiting a bunch of 3 star recruits..:rolleyes:
But you say, he recruited Luka! Yes he did, he was the first power 5 coach to offer him a scholarship, nice find along with Aaron White, but there was absolutely no way in hell he envisioned Luka turning out as he has. Hard work and determination is what shaped Luka to what he is today, but he is a once in a generation player that Fran will find hard to replace.
You can also say that C.J. Fredrick, a player from Cincinnati, was a gift of the gods for Fran. How many quality players like C.J. are willing to walk on to a University because their coach had a connection with an uncle. Not many I'm guessing.
The one major fault I'm seeing now, is Fran didn't provide Luka enough bench support or 3 point shooters to help Luka out, but as I said, after recruiting Luka coach had no clue Luka would turn out like he has....of course isn't that always the Iowa way.
I love Bohannan, Wieskamp, Fredrick, Luka, Toussaint, Kriener, Nunge, Pemsl, and departed players of Baer, Cook, Dailey, and other players that have made Iowa their home, but the last 4 years have ended 19-15,14-19, 23-12, and so far this year 20-10. Good, but not great by any means.
Let's see Iowa put together a year that most blue bloods think is an average year and then our AD can agree with an extension and raise. Sounds good to me.

Like that's going to hurt Iowa's recruiting....LOL I'm sure other coaches are just beside them-selves for not recruiting a bunch of 3 star recruits..:rolleyes:
But you say, he recruited Luka! Yes he did, he was the first power 5 coach to offer him a scholarship, nice find along with Aaron White, but there was absolutely no way in hell he envisioned Luka turning out as he has. Hard work and determination is what shaped Luka to what he is today, but he is a once in a generation player that Fran will find hard to replace.
You can also say that C.J. Fredrick, a player from Cincinnati, was a gift of the gods for Fran. How many quality players like C.J. are willing to walk on to a University because their coach had a connection with an uncle. Not many I'm guessing.
The one major fault I'm seeing now, is Fran didn't provide Luka enough bench support or 3 point shooters to help Luka out, but as I said, after recruiting Luka coach had no clue Luka would turn out like he has....of course isn't that always the Iowa way.
I love Bohannan, Wieskamp, Fredrick, Luka, Toussaint, Kriener, Nunge, Pemsl, and departed players of Baer, Cook, Dailey, and other players that have made Iowa their home, but the last 4 years have ended 19-15,14-19, 23-12, and so far this year 20-10. Good, but not great by any means.
Let's see Iowa put together a year that most blue bloods think is an average year and then our AD can agree with an extension and raise. Sounds good to me.

So many words just to say you don’t like Fran......

Let’s look at your “average year for a blue blood comment” as well. Let’s take the ultimate blue blood, Duke, and see what the average year looks like for them over the last 10 years. Duke has averaged 29.9 wins over the last 10 years.

So, in your mind, Fran doesn’t deserve a raise until he meets the threshold of 30 or so wins. Iowa’s done that once in its entire history. Sounded good when you were typing it out, yes? But, in reality, it makes 0 sense. Much like anything else you decide put out into the universe.

The one major fault I'm seeing now, is Fran didn't provide Luka enough bench support or 3 point shooters to help Luka out,.

I mean it’s not like Iowa is down two starters, one which is the leading 3 pt shooter in Hawkeye history and will easily finish in the top 10 in B1G history.

You didn’t seriously think about that comment before typing it did you?

Reactions: Chishawk1425
I mean it’s not like Iowa is down two starters, one which is the leading 3 pt shooter in Hawkeye history and will easily finish in the top 10 in B1G history.

You didn’t seriously think about that comment before typing it did you?
LOL, that was typed out as a bash on Fran? Wow................#FAIL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT