ADVERTISEMENT

Hayden Fry's Scoring Numbers

How many points were say Ohio State and Nebraska scoring in that era?
Ohio state was as low as 22 ppg and as high as 37 ppg in 1996. On average right around 28 ppg which put them consistently in the top 25 in scoring. Nebraska high 30's top 5 nearly every year but putting a couple of 70 burgers on Kansas, ISU, and KState help out the old average.

Hayden Fry's Iowa teams averaged 25.84 points per game.

During the Fry era, there were four (4) years (20% of the Fry years) with points per game equal to or less than the 17.7 posted by the 2022 team. Those years were 1980, 1989, 1993 and 1998.

Fry's teams scored 22 points or less in eight (8) seasons (40% of the Fry years).

Iowa during the Fry era scored more than 30 points per game in six (6) seasons (30% of the Fry years) and in those seasons won 7, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 9 games.
How's about looking at ppg rankings vs absolute ppg. Gotta normalize, bruh.

Reactions: BonzoFury
Maybe, but not sure that’s provable. 53ish times in 20 years Hayden’s teams scored 10 pts or less!
I remember having a bet with my dad and the people around me in the stadium if it was going to be off-tackle right or off-tackle left. How my memory serves is that they had a lot of 3 and out in the first series. But again that was only the home games because you rarely got the away games on tv.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I remember having a bet with my dad and the people around me in the stadium if it was going to be off-tackle right or off-tackle left. How my memory serves is that they had a lot of 3 and out in the first series. But again that was only the home games because you rarely got the away games on tv.

Yes, people don’t remember very clearly. I remember the stadium audibly groaning on third and long draw plays!

Reactions: pistachio1999
And the draw play on 3rd and long.

Good points, why not compare that era and our resurgence as a program? Along with that Iowa faced 6 top 20 defensive teams this past year, how many schools in the top 50 in offensive stats never or hardly ever competed against a top 30?
And we did it with an offensive line that killed drives, a passing game with Ragaini playing healthy in 70% of our games and not much else but an all Big Ten tight end in Laporta.

By the by, when do you use whoever vs whomever…I fancy myself a good speaker/communicator but my grammar and punctuation is garbage anymore?
“Whoever” is a subject pronoun. Use it when it serves as the subject in the sentence:

“Whoever thought that BF would make a good offensive coordinator should be thrown in jail.”

“Whomever” is an object pronoun. Use it whenever it’s acting as the object of the sentence (or of a preposition, etc.):

“I can have whomever I choose as my offensive coordinator and it won’t make a damned bit of difference.”

“Whoever” is a subject pronoun. Use it when it serves as the subject in the sentence:

“Whoever thought that BF would make a good offensive coordinator should be thrown in jail.”

“Whomever” is an object pronoun. Use it whenever it’s acting as the object of the sentence (or of a preposition, etc.):

“I can have whomever I choose as my offensive coordinator and it won’t make a damned bit of difference.”

Awesome brother and a sincere thank you! No reason for someone not to try to relearn what they should’ve already known lol!

Reactions: spiderland
Remember or maybe not Hayden brought the "spread" offense to Iowa. Or at least that's how it was described. He was an innovator and slung it more than most in the pre-run and shoot era
He did have some stinkers
14 ppg in 1980 in installing that offense
19.1 ppg in '82 with a freshman QB chuck long
85th was the lowest ranking that Hayden had in ppg in 1993
But..
36.7 got you 2nd in 1985
28.6 got you 23rd in 1991, 27.9 got you 34th (this should tell you that stats aren't quite comparable)
General consensus at that time is if you scored 21 you will win
Thank you very much Bulldog 64. Lots of revisionist history now that Hayden just beat up on the cupcakes at Iowa. WE were everyone’s cupcake when Hayden got here. Cmon people. 5 games under Bob Cummings was like making the rose bowl. Cmon @cmhawks99, quit trying to convince everyone that it’s the same offense. It’s not. Yes, Hayden had his weaknesses, especially after Snyder left, but he wasn’t so stubborn that he wasn’t always trying to change things.

Thank you very much Bulldog 64. Lots of revisionist history now that Hayden just beat up on the cupcakes at Iowa. WE were everyone’s cupcake when Hayden got here. Cmon people. 5 games under Bob Cummings was like making the rose bowl. Cmon @cmhawks99, quit trying to convince everyone that it’s the same offense. It’s not. Yes, Hayden had his weaknesses, especially after Snyder left, but he wasn’t so stubborn that he wasn’t always trying to change things.

Really?! Much of the 90s may say differently!

He certainly didn’t have what is likely his best five-year run at the end of his career!?

Reactions: bradaf
Hayden is a HOF coach and brought Iowa out of the dark ages in football. But for 3 seasons from 1992-1994 he did not have a winning record in any one of the seasons. Apparently he was very slow at making changes in these three years.

Don't remember any other team with stand-up TEs and do not remember Hayden changing this. Was also very stubborn about not letting the #1 offense play the #1 defense in practice.

Read Snyder's book and he said that he did not agree with some of Hayden's calls on offense and what he wanted. Two HOF coaches with disagreements on how to run an offense.

Winning at Iowa is not easy and we should be thankful we have had two great coaches.

Hayden Fry's Iowa teams averaged 25.84 points per game.

During the Fry era, there were four (4) years (20% of the Fry years) with points per game equal to or less than the 17.7 posted by the 2022 team. Those years were 1980, 1989, 1993 and 1998.

Fry's teams scored 22 points or less in eight (8) seasons (40% of the Fry years).

Iowa during the Fry era scored more than 30 points per game in six (6) seasons (30% of the Fry years) and in those seasons won 7, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 9 games.
Now do Kute Rockne or Amos Alonzo Stagg.

Yes and no….Hayden had plenty of offensive stinkers and routinely ran the score up on whoever he could…He struggled often vs teams with a defensive pulse!

By the by, when do you use whoever vs whomever…I fancy myself a good speaker/communicator but my grammar and punctuation is garbage anymore?
KF has rarely ran the score up, mostly because he couldn't. HF ran it up because, f wisconsin.

KFz and Hayden have very similar numbers, nearly identical win %. We can break down the schedule differences, extra cupcake with a 12 game schedule etc. all day.

One thing though...Hayden never brought the kind of negative attention and scorn to the Iowa brand that KFz has with the BFz/offense debacle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT