ADVERTISEMENT

How Much Can You Really Reverse Impacts of Bad Health Habits?

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
Y'all may remember I posted a few months ago about a friend that was losing a ton of weight and working out again after years (decades) of sitting on his ass. I'm happy to report the guy is still getting after it. He still meets up with me on Fridays and is doing well on the weight (down about 15%) and up on muscle (hard to gauge but it's obvious). He just recently started really looking deeply at his nutrition. He's gone all in and is eating lean, staying balanced, and going away from processed / bad for you foods that have made up his diet for decades.

I wonder though how much he can reverse the 30-40 years of damage he's done. Don't get me wrong, it's great he's changing. But after all that abuse of constant fast food and terrible choices, I kind of wonder if it's too late. What say you HORT? Is this guy gonna make it 'til 90 now? Or is it a foregone conclusion he's going to bite it in his 60's?

Y'all may remember I posted a few months ago about a friend that was losing a ton of weight and working out again after years (decades) of sitting on his ass. I'm happy to report the guy is still getting after it. He still meets up with me on Fridays and is doing well on the weight (down about 15%) and up on muscle (hard to gauge but it's obvious). He just recently started really looking deeply at his nutrition. He's gone all in and is eating lean, staying balanced, and going away from processed / bad for you foods that have made up his diet for decades.

I wonder though how much he can reverse the 30-40 years of damage he's done. Don't get me wrong, it's great he's changing. But after all that abuse of constant fast food and terrible choices, I kind of wonder if it's too late. What say you HORT? Is this guy gonna make it 'til 90 now? Or is it a foregone conclusion he's going to bite it in his 60's?
I think any doctor will tell you the best day to start working towards a healthy weight is today.

It's all epigenetic my friend.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
Regardless of how many years it adds to his life, losing weight and being in good physical shape will add to the quality of those years. Mobility is a big issue with the elderly, and the less weight he carries around and the more physically fit he is the more mobile he will be and his quality of life will be better.

Would he rather still be able to golf in his old age or be stuck in scooter on an O2 tank?

Regardless of how many years it adds to his life, losing weight and being in good physical shape will add to the quality of those years. Mobility is a big issue with the elderly, and the less weight he carries around and the more physically fit he is the more mobile he will be and his quality of life will be better.

Would he rather still be able to golf in his old age or be stuck in scooter on an O2 tank?
This.

It was seeing my parents (mid to late 70s) struggle a ton with mobility and independence due to years of being sedentary and not paying attention to what they eat that inspired me to get serious.

I am going to do everything in my power to remain active, upright and energetic for as long as I can.

I quit drinking about a year ago because I was starting to get bad liver and kidney feedback in addition to the aggravation of a heart issue I have. Within two months of stopping, my liver and kidneys were completely back to normal. In the year prior to quitting drinking, I was in the hospital three times for my heart. I haven't had as much as a blip in a year. In addition to that, my blood pressure (was high) is closer to normal. My resting heart rate has dropped from 75-80 to 55-60. I took off about 15 lbs. in the process. I wasn't heavy before, but that little bit has made a difference too. CSB.

All that said, I firmly believe the answer is yes. I started back to the gym recently as I want to muscle back up. I am looking forward to feeling even better than I have the past year. I am 53 and feel as good as I did when I was 35.

I quit drinking about a year ago because I was starting to get bad liver and kidney feedback in addition to the aggravation of a heart issue I have. Within two months of stopping, my liver and kidneys were completely back to normal. In the year prior to quitting drinking, I was in the hospital three times for my heart. I haven't had as much as a blip in a year. In addition to that, my blood pressure (was high) is closer to normal. My resting heart rate has dropped from 75-80 to 55-60. I took off about 15 lbs. in the process. I wasn't heavy before, but that little bit has made a difference too. CSB.

All that said, I firmly believe the answer is yes. I started back to the gym recently as I want to muscle back up. I am looking forward to feeling even better than I have the past year. I am 53 and feel as good as I did when I was 35.

Hearing this pleases me.

My FIL is a lifetime drinker/alcoholic and smoker and is plugging away approaching 90. Nobody (including him) knows how he’s still ticking.
Reminds me of this scene
0fd38b00-b71c-4714-b9c4-b00e9c6f130a_text.gif

I had the best physical in more than a decade at age 51 this past year --- BP was 121/76 and resting heart rate was 53.

The year prior BP was 130/90 and resting heart rate was 70.

Bike commuting, swimming, dog walking and cutting back on junk food made all the difference. I probably still drink too much and smoke too much cannabis, but hey, a man needs SOME vices. :)

I had the best physical in more than a decade at age 51 this past year --- BP was 121/76 and resting heart rate was 53.

Bike commuting, swimming, dog walking and cutting back on junk food made all the difference. I probably still drink too much and smoke too much cannabis, but hey, a man needs SOME vices. :)

Do you remember your cholesterol numbers?

This is along my line of thinking. I think the damage is done - and yes losing weight and eating right may elongate his life and will assuredly make the last year better - but I think his shot at 100 is long gone.

But then again, @GOHOX69 is probably right. It’s likely all in the genes!

This is along my line of thinking. I think the damage is done - and yes losing weight and eating right may elongate his life and will assuredly make the last year better - but I think his shot at 100 is long gone.

But then again, @GOHOX69 is probably right. It’s likely all in the genes!
I say genes because of this:

Lift weights, Eat beef, chicken, eggs, rice, potatoes, fruits and vegetables, stay away from jealous and bitter Marxist people, don’t eat plant based crap, drink lots of milk and water, don’t drink beer and have a positive attitude towards life. And you’ll live a healthy and productive life. Also stay away from pills and drugs.

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

If you really are a good friend, you would give your friend regular rectal enemas and clean up. If he was really a good friend, he would return the favor!

Lift weights, Eat beef, chicken, eggs, rice, potatoes, fruits and vegetables, stay away from jealous and bitter Marxist people, don’t eat plant based crap, drink lots of milk and water, don’t drink beer and have a positive attitude towards life. And you’ll live a healthy and productive life. Also stay away from pills and drugs.

Well…you’re phucked.

Tell him your boy Brian recommends he ask his doctor about a heart calcium test.

Smoke'm if you got'm.

Good for you, man! Seriously rooting for you. How's things going on the home front?

Good for you, man! Seriously rooting for you. How's things going on the home front?
Better, but we still have work to do. I spend 3-4 nights at home and the other nights with some buddies. I am extremely close to the kids and am fortunate to get to spend a ton of time as a family. I am doing more for the household than I have ever done whether it's meals, chores, cleaning, rides, whatever. Just trying to make things easier for the Mrs during the times I am not there. I know it isn't easy, but we need to do counseling before we change anything.

I just got on new insurance through work so we are going to finally start counseling in the next week or two. It will not be easy, for either of us, but I have nothing to hide behind and no reason not to be honest. I know she will be honest too. We will either decide on a plan or we won't. I can handle any outcome at this point. My preference would be to stay together, but we need to be spouses, not roommates.

you just couldnt help yourself could you, loser

I work myself out now into the ground 5-6 days a week. I motivate myself thinking of all the Iowa fatties in pickups eating Casey's, smoking and buying lottery tickets

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
great to see all the inspiring posts mostly from 40-50 year olds. at that age i can easily imagine that the body still has the ability to bounce back. but how about in 70s? any chance of seeing improvement if someone in mid to late 70s adopts a healthy diet?

I work myself out now into the ground 5-6 days a week. I motivate myself thinking of all the Iowa fatties in pickups eating Casey's, smoking and buying lottery tickets

Hey now…Casey’s is the fuel for my double centuries in June / July! Never underestimate how far a slice of pepp can take you when you’ve hit the wall….

any chance of seeing improvement if someone in mid to late 70s adopts a healthy diet?
Male like expectancy in Iowa is 74.9 years. You have one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel. Of course you can improve your life expectancy by moving to Hawaii, Minnesota or Washington by about 2 years, one month if you move to Wisconsin. Evidently excessive drinking has no effect on life expectancy...

Male like expectancy in Iowa is 74.9 years. You have one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel. Of course you can improve your life expectancy by moving to Hawaii, Minnesota or Washington by about 2 years, one month if you move to Wisconsin. Evidently excessive drinking has no effect on life expectancy...

Proof there is a god? I’m going to have to check with @BrianNole777

Reactions: BrianNole777

Here is some news that should make you feel better!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT