ADVERTISEMENT

*****Illinois vs Iowa Game Thread*****

Dix never got up off the bench in 2h?
PMac yes, Dix didn’t.

Parental coaching?
Both Kris and Connor were in foul trouble. Who has been coming in for those guys? Oh, yeah Patrick.

We were getting killed on the boards. Patrick is 6'9", Josh is 6'3"-4". Who would be the more likely to provide rebounding help. Probably the player that is six inches taller. Taller is usually better in that part of the game.

Huge conference win over an old and bitter rival, that was both well played and well coached and your take away is complaining about the coaching. Why watch?

Both Kris and Connor were in foul trouble. Who has been coming in for those guys? Oh, yeah Patrick.

We were getting killed on the boards. Patrick is 6'9", Josh is 6'3"-4". Who would be the more likely to provide rebounding help. Probably the player that is six inches taller. Taller is usually better in that part of the game.

Huge conference win over an old and bitter rival, that was both well played and well coached and your take away is complaining about the coaching. Why watch?

How many rebounds did Patrick have today?

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
I didn't see this so SIAP, but on the mayer foul at the 10:40 mark in the second half they called it a three and I swear I saw him pump fake and then step on the line with his left foot. No one mentioned it, not that I expected Bardo to, and it was never reviewed. I'm fairly certain Iowa actually won by 3. That's a bad beat for sports center and anyone who bet on the 2.5 spread.
They showed a close-up of it when coming back from a timeout - w/ Benetti trying to turn it into a controversy - but even then, it was suuuper hard to tell if his toe was on the line or not.

But I don't gamble and the Hawks won despite whether it was a 2 or 3, so I've no issue if it was a mistake or not.

Just don’t wear your sleeveless Cardinals shirt.
You're confusing me with Ted Kluszewski again, aren't you?

KluszewskiTed-1957Topps.jpg

when fans show up and are into it, Carver is LOUD and is a blast
Uhh, when the fair weather fans show up. I'm there every game. But, it was a good crowd minus the syphilitic Illini fans in attendance.

I didn't see this so SIAP, but on the mayer foul at the 10:40 mark in the second half they called it a three and I swear I saw him pump fake and then step on the line with his left foot. No one mentioned it, not that I expected Bardo to, and it was never reviewed. I'm fairly certain Iowa actually won by 3. That's a bad beat for sports center and anyone who bet on the 2.5 spread.
1. Weak foul
2. Yeah, not sure that was a 3

Reactions: Ree4 and BurgHawk87
This team has been as fun to watch, they give 100% effort even though they always seem to be a little smaller and the other teams a little quicker. We made up for the losing the rebounding battle by winning the TO game 14-7. Every player who gets in the game brings something different. Great win over a very good Illinois team...
I get it, we aren't an elite program, and Fran has too many strokes on the court. But, the team is enjoyable to watch. Who walked into CHA today thinking Tony Perkins would step up with 30+ points? Damn, but that was fun today.

Reactions: Ree4 and Bishop1971
At least the Illinois fans that surrounded me at the game became less obnoxious towards the end, and several left before it was over. The lady next to me turned out to be very nice.

At least the Illinois fans that surrounded me at the game became less obnoxious towards the end, and several left before it was over. The lady next to me turned out to be very nice.
During the Holiday Bowl at San Diego in 2019 I had a guy in front of me who I felt like I may have words with eventually. We ended up having a really good conversation. He couldn't believe all the fans Iowa had. Asked all kinds of questions about Iowa. I hated when he left at end of third quarter.

Great game to watch today. Very entertaining! I even thought that the zebras called a decent game. although I still believe that Courtney Green is one of the worst in the B1G. Matthew Meyer is a very easy player to dislike, but I would be happy to have him on my team.
It isn't often that a team gets killed on the boards (37-23) and shoots a lower overall FG%, and still wins. Iowa only had 6 turnovers, which is incredible against a team as athletic as Illannoy, and of course, getting to the FT line a lot in the second half and making almost 90% really made the difference.
Everyone on the team played a role in the win, but Tony showed today why Fran should NOT sit him on the bench, as many on here have been suggesting. I'm not sure why he stopped being aggressive over the past month (maybe injured?), but when he is aggressive, he is a difference maker.
The Hawks need to keep it rolling, although winning the next one at Purdon't will be very tough. The couple of games after Purdon't (at Minny and OSU at home) are very winnable. GO HAWKS!

lol, this was only 1 of several takes, please feel free to review all of the after game initial takes.

patrick played 13min with out a single rebound, just stating the facts
mulvey is a much better rebounder than Patrick and would have certainly helped Iowa on the boards. (Taller is usually better, correct😉)

Last edited:
Iowa def has a weakness with rebounding, but we have the shooters so it seems to work.
We are what we are. Run and gun. This is particularly small team and the boys need to get hot. When a couple of guys are hot we usually win. When they're not, we don't. Its a very fun kind of ball to watch. We've dropped north of 80 on Rutgers #1 on D and the Cheatin' Illini, #6 defense.

lol, this was only 1 of several takes, please feel free to review all of the after game initial takes.

patrick played 13min with a single rebound, just stating the facts
You weren't just stating facts you were making a silly point. Patrick played maybe 6-8 minutes more than Josh. That is your complaint. Your point is that Patrick only plays because his father is the coach.

That was your response to a big win. Which reserves played what minutes is kind of meaningless in general but especially trivial after a big win. Who ****ing cares which reserves played more than others. We won.

Yes they did, and even showed his foot. Bardo made a comment about if he wore size 15's he'd have been over the line.....

Dix never got up off the bench in 2h?
PMac yes, Dix didn’t.

Parental coaching?
I haven't had too many issues with Fran's substitution patterns this year with the exception of his 2 foul rule but today had some head scratchers. In the first half he felt compelled to insert Dix and Bowen together pulling Perk and Ulis at the same time. In the second half he leaves Dix on the bench and inserts Patrick for some extended minutes.

Fran has been good about playing the hot hand but neither Cmac nor Pmac were having very good games while playing a combined 43 minutes going 1-8 for a grand total of 3 points, 1 rebound and 3 assists. I think Connor and Pmac also played a lot as the primary defenders against Mayer in the first half when he scored pretty much at will.

I was hoping that Dix would continue to see his minutes at an increased level but that probably won't be the case going forward.

• Love
Reactions: Bro D and KcTo
I haven't had too many issues with Fran's substitution patterns this year with the exception of his 2 foul rule but today had some head scratchers. In the first half he felt compelled to insert Dix and Bowen together pulling Perk and Ulis at the same time. In the second half he leaves Dix on the bench and inserts Patrick for some extended minutes.

Fran has been good about playing the hot hand but neither Cmac nor Pmac were having very good games while playing a combined 43 minutes going 1-8 for a grand total of 3 points, 1 rebound and 3 assists. I think Connor and Pmac also played a lot as the primary defenders against Mayer in the first half when he scored pretty much at will.

I was hoping that Dix would continue to see his minutes at an increased level but that probably won't be the case going forward.
I think you and I are seeing the same things and agreement on all of your points.

The notable difference being that CMac is tough as hell giving 4 fouls all in very aggressive defense (which goes unnoticed by many), intentionally looks for shooters and spreads court doing little things to free up others for shots. (he had a great interference pick that “created space“ for a 3, forgetting who). Whereas PMac just drives into traffic and picks his dribble

it makes me wonder if PMac is physically healthy, maybe there is some medical issue that everyone is keeping on the DL?

I do feeel for his health, physical, biological, mental, as he seems to be a great kid

Cmac’s presence on the floor is a net positive so I’m okay if he’s in there the majority of the time. It’s not like he’s jacking up bricks or turning the ball over while attempting to drive the lane.

Pmac on the other hand, totally agree with you. If he played on any other team in the conference he would have been relegated to role/bench player a long time ago. Sandy needs to be getting those minutes.

As far as Dix is concerned, we should just be happy to be getting anything out of him this year. No need to get greedy.

Bowen is lost right now.

I think you and I are seeing the same things and agreement on all of your points.

The notable difference being that CMac is tough as hell giving 4 fouls all in very aggressive defense (which goes unnoticed by many), intentionally looks for shooters and spreads court doing little things to free up others for shots. (he had a great interference pick that “created space“ for a 3, forgetting who). Whereas PMac just drives into traffic and picks his dribble

it makes me wonder if PMac is physically healthy, maybe there is some medical issue that everyone is keeping on the DL?

I do feeel for his health, physical, biological, mental, as he seems to be a great kid
Cmac is definitely tough and normally a decent defender. I'll give you that, but he was abused by Mayer and both he and Pmac were dominated physically down low on the boards. 1 rebound in 43 minutes between the 2 ain't gonna cut it.

• Love
Reactions: KcTo
Cmac is definitely tough and normally a decent defender. I'll give you that, but he was abused by Mayer and both he and Pmac were dominated physically down low on the boards. 1 rebound in 43 minutes between the 2 ain't gonna cut it.
I’m in 100% agreement,

that said, Mayer as a #3 is a tough assignment for this roster, maybe switching up to use Kris length and letting CMac play #4 to push, shove and use his experience and tenacity might work in rematch.

PMac simply looked physically unable to perform on defense,

also wanted to agree on earlier point on Fran’s 1st half lineups, Bowen cant be played in games where it is in doubt

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT