*****Iowa vs Indiana Game Thread*****

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
6pm BTN

Iowa -1.5
O/U 158.5

Indiana (12-8, 4-5) comes in losers of 3 straight (Purdue, Wisc, Illinois). Statistically Iowa is better in every category. Similar to Iowa, Indy has no Quad 1 victories, best win might be Maryland. Iowa 0-6 and Indy 0-7 in Q1 games.

Iowa should win, but I see them losing 78-73

Last edited:
No doubt IU is struggling but those 3 losses were to the cream of the league.
Tonite they face a 2nd tier team in this league at home desperate for a lifeline.
I suspect they will be super-juiced tonite. Watch Galloway go off for 20+.
Tony excelled vs his home state schools...keep it going.
If Ware plays along with their other bigs Owen has to stay out of foul trouble. IU is the biggest team in the league averaging 6'7".

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Did not know it was called Simon Skjodt Assembly hall and also do not know who Simon Skjodt is/was.

Should be entertaining game. Perkins/Freeman/Dix have been playing at high level last few games and Sandfort coming off a smoking hot game. Trend is our friend.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I know IU is not great but we’re favored there? Well let’s get a W I guess.

I am surprised that Iowa is favored in Bloomington, which once was an almost impossible place to win. I think it will be a very competitive game, and besides hitting some shots, the key might be whether Owen can stay out of foul trouble and on the court.

Did not know it was called Simon Skjodt Assembly hall and also do not know who Simon Skjodt is/was.

Should be entertaining game. Perkins/Freeman/Dix have been playing at high level last few games and Sandfort coming off a smoking hot game. Trend is our friend.
Wiki is your/my friend. Please send us $5 because we are not for sale.

On December 19, 2013, Indiana University announced that a $40 million donation from Cynthia "Cindy" Simon Skjodt, daughter of late shopping mall magnate and Indiana Pacers owner Mel Simon, would be used to renovate Assembly Hall.[16] Indiana University renamed Assembly Hall the Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall upon the completion of the renovations and improvements, which were completed in October 2016.

This feels like it may have been added by a salty Iowa fan:

On February 18, 2014, an 8-foot (2.4 m) long beam over a foot wide fell and damaged the seats at Assembly Hall.[18][19] The scheduled game for that day against the University of Iowa was postponed due to safety concerns in spite of multiple available arenas in Indiana. [20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Skjodt_Assembly_Hall

Indiana is not a good team, but that's a phrase that applies to the majority of the league.
If form holds, one of their many bricklayers from the perimeter will have a career night shooting the ball.
Even though it was against the worst team in the conference, Iowa did just get a road win.
I'll be slightly more surprised if Iowa pulls off a win tonight.

I am surprised that Iowa is favored in Bloomington, which once was an almost impossible place to win. I think it will be a very competitive game, and besides hitting some shots, the key might be whether Owen can stay out of foul trouble and on the court.
I was too until I dove into the team stats

Indy is weak and and only ranks in the top 50 in one category (FG% 44th)

Their two best players are their bigs: Ware and Reneau. Ware has missed the last two games with an ankle injury and is a game time decision tonight. If he plays, that will make a big difference. Galloway has been in a shooting slump all season long (28% from three point range) and hopefully that continues for one more night.

The key will be keeping Freeman out of foul trouble. It's all about maximizing the number of minutes for our top six players: Perkins, Dix, Payton, McCaffery, Krikke and Freeman - when we have five of those six on the floor, we do very well, otherwise we stink.

Reactions: littlez
Watched Ill and IU the other day. Both teams looked not good to me. I think this is winnable but as noted above, IU is in desperation mode. Woodson hasn't beaten Fran yet. Can't turn it over, have to rebound like crazy, they can't shoot 3's, we need a lot of them. Go Hawks!!

IU folks are calling this a must win for the Hoosiers.

Here's a 30 minute discussion of tonight's game. The guy in the middle is the Register beat writer; he's also an IU grad.

Their two best players are their bigs: Ware and Reneau. Ware has missed the last two games with an ankle injury and is a game time decision tonight. If he plays, that will make a big difference. Galloway has been in a shooting slump all season long (28% from three point range) and hopefully that continues for one more night. The key will be keeping Freeman out of foul trouble. It's all about maximizing the number of minutes for our top six players: Perkins, Dix, Payton, McCaffery, Krikke and Freeman - when we have five of those six on the floor, we do very well, otherwise we stink.

No idea how we're favored here with their big man returning to the lineup after they've had 3 straight losses - this is a desperation game for Indiana.

Watched Ill and IU the other day. Both teams looked not good to me. I think this is winnable but as noted above, IU is in desperation mode. Woodson hasn't beaten Fran yet. Can't turn it over, have to rebound like crazy, they can't shoot 3's, we need a lot of them. Go Hawks!!

Iowa should really be in desperation mode as well; hawks need to string some wins together with a tough finishing schedule for its tourney hopes.

Reactions: icwesthawk
Their two best players are their bigs: Ware and Reneau. Ware has missed the last two games with an ankle injury and is a game time decision tonight. If he plays, that will make a big difference. Galloway has been in a shooting slump all season long (28% from three point range) and hopefully that continues for one more night.

The key will be keeping Freeman out of foul trouble. It's all about maximizing the number of minutes for our top six players: Perkins, Dix, Payton, McCaffery, Krikke and Freeman - when we have five of those six on the floor, we do very well, otherwise we stink.
So, Galloway will go off tonight.

I see several tickets still available for $3. Quite a few for under $10.

Of course, one optimist has 2 tix for $423/ea.

Off course Ware gets well enough to play Iowa.
Everyone will need to play smart and hit their shots.
As said earlier Indiana is a tough place to win at.

This is Mike Woodson's 3rd year.

He's lost a lot of games & is just 1 game over .500 in conference play.

Season ended:
2022: 21-14, 9-11
2023: 23-12, 12-8
2024: 12-8, 4-5

I wouldn't put Patrick in a group that needs to be on the court. The other two guards, if Dix or Perkins is on the bench.

@Moral !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

93c32da2e1612485cab84613b407e615.gif

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Hawksfor3 and Moral
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT