ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa vs Purdue Game Thread*****

House of Horrors?

GAiXn6iWQAAaytp

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Also, for those that think Fran is retiring after this year, Trilly Donovan has been putting out a coaching hot seat list every month which includes coaches who are on "retirement watch". Fran has not been mentioned once on this list. He seems pretty dialed in to what's happening with the coaching world (on-top of what is happening in recruiting) so I wouldn't get your hopes up on Fran leaving if that is what you are wishing for.

• Sad
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
The thing about a new coach coming in is that you almost have to assume the entire roster turns over in this day and age. I would doubt Payton and Pryce would leave since they went to school with Tucker (assuming DeVries is the hire), but every other guy on that roster would take a lot of convincing to stay. Look at rosters of new coaches in the power 6 this year--it's almost a 100% turnover at each one.
And I'd be OK with that.
A coach can completely rebuild a team in cbb in one season.
Fran is what he is. To expect different results on D and in the NCAA tourney is to be disappointed.
I don't expect him to be fired. I would welcome his retirement.

And I'd be OK with that.
A coach can completely rebuild a team in cbb in one season.
Fran is what he is. To expect different results on D and in the NCAA tourney is to be disappointed.
I don't expect him to be fired. I would welcome his retirement.
Yes, you can't fire a guy at Iowa who goes to the tournament every year but at some point soon you'd think he'd be ready to retire. His family doesn't seem to like it here.

Yes, you can't fire a guy at Iowa who goes to the tournament every year but at some point soon you'd think he'd be ready to retire. His family doesn't seem to like it here.
Fran was apparently looking at other jobs this last offseason, including wanting the Notre Dame job. To me, that doesn't seem like something a guy who is close to retirement would do. Maybe a good east coast mid-major comes open and he decides to take a paycut for a less pressure job as a "soft" retirement, but I'm doubtful that happens. It's especially hard to leave when I'm sure he really likes the potential of this freshmen class + Koch and Tadjo. College coaches are maybe the most stubborn people in the world and I'm sure in his head he wants to get over the sweet 16 hump before he decides to hang it up.

Fran was apparently looking at other jobs this last offseason, including wanting the Notre Dame job. To me, that doesn't seem like something a guy who is close to retirement would do. Maybe a good east coast mid-major comes open and he decides to take a paycut for a less pressure job as a "soft" retirement, but I'm doubtful that happens. It's especially hard to leave when I'm sure he really likes the potential of this freshmen class + Koch and Tadjo. College coaches are maybe the most stubborn people in the world and I'm sure in his head he wants to get over the sweet 16 hump before he decides to hang it up.
A coaching change could be a good thing.

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT