ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa vs Purdue Game Thread*****

“feels like pickup game”. Hummel

nice job of quitting Fran

So is the unwritten rule in the B10 now that the 3 second call does not apply to Edey? The dude lives in there with no call ever made.

Makes no difference in the outcome of this particular game but it just adds to the physical advantage he already has over everyone else.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Freeman will be getting progressively more minutes at the 5 as the season goes on, right?

I think Freeman may start if Iowa has bad start through 1st half of B1G play...so 2-8 B1G record might get freeman starting. I would assume Sandfort gets removed from starting lineup since PMAC has the right DNA.

Painter called off the dogs....what a turd game for IOwa.

OK. So beatdown predicted, beatdown received.
Not much positive to take from this one.
Hoping for 1-1 of the next 2 games. At least play better against the 'clones, then get a conference win at home.

Could have been but Painter took his foot off the gas. Iowa is not a very good team IMO and as expected it will be a long year.
This is essentially the same start Iowa has every year.

Fran lost to Purdue by 36 a few years ago.

Iowa always losses the first 2 early big games in pathetic fashion.

we didn't have a prayer

Kbaxt6la

I would like to see Dix Harding freeman krikke and sanfort.
If Fran had and defensive acumen and a pair of eyes his son would rarely play.
I know everyone loves Perkins but he’s just a black hole 2 out of three games and great the other one. Not worth the minutes invested. His shooting percentages are the same or slightly lower than his freshman year.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Fran needs to go. I'm sorry. Scoring is a lot more enteraining than Lick ball; but to really compete you need to play defense. It is nothing new. People have complained about it for years. But Fran is just bein Fran which is essentially a middle finger to everyone
Let's hope this is his last year.

The young talent is pretty decent so it would be good timing for a better coach like DeVries to come in and teach them how to play the right way.

Caught the double-dip tonight. Took PU giving 14 and then live bet the Hawks getting 27.5.
These nights are fun (if only for a different reason).

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Sure we all would like to see Iowa play defense and have for almost all of Frans years at Iowa, but this team doesn't play defense because most of them doesn't have the athletic ability to play defense. Krikke?, Payton?, Patrick?, haven't seen a whole lot from Perkins and Desonte is athletic but is only a sophomore. Iowa's best athletic players are freshmen and if no one can teach them how to play defense, it's like trying to learn golf by yourself without having excess to youtube. Hopefully, the freshmen become more experienced and come next year and beyond. I still love this team and will continue to, until there are no more games left. Owen, Harding, Pryce Sandfort, and Dembele are the future of Iowa basketball.

Sure we all would like to see Iowa play defense and have for almost all of Frans years at Iowa, but this team doesn't play defense because most of them doesn't have the athletic ability to play defense. Krikke?, Payton?, Patrick?, haven't seen a whole lot from Perkins and Desonte is athletic but is only a sophomore. Iowa's best athletic players are freshmen and if no one can teach them how to play defense, it's like trying to learn golf by yourself without having excess to youtube. Hopefully, the freshmen become more experienced and come next year and beyond. I still love this team and will continue to, until there are no more games left. Owen, Harding, Pryce Sandfort, and Dembele are the future of Iowa basketball.
Defense is far more effort and positioning than just raw athleticism. Team defense and scheme can make up for a lot. Purdue is not brimming with athletes. They are merely a reflection of their coach.

That's a reason but its way down the list of reasons.

A coach like Painter would take these same players and have them 100-150 spots higher in the defensive rankings.

To be good at defense you have to drill the fundamentals.

Defense is far more effort and positioning than just raw athleticism. Team defense and scheme can make up for a lot. Purdue is not brimming with athletes. They are merely a reflection of their coach.
Absolutely.

Frans starting lineup is dumb and should not be what it is but there's plenty of guys on this team that could play adequate defense.

Yup, Wisconsin is always good on defense

Let's hope this is his last year.

The young talent is pretty decent so it would be good timing for a better coach like DeVries to come in and teach them how to play the right way.
The thing about a new coach coming in is that you almost have to assume the entire roster turns over in this day and age. I would doubt Payton and Pryce would leave since they went to school with Tucker (assuming DeVries is the hire), but every other guy on that roster would take a lot of convincing to stay. Look at rosters of new coaches in the power 6 this year--it's almost a 100% turnover at each one.

Yup, Wisconsin is always good on defense
Now someone will say it's because they play slow but that's not the main reason.

They practice being physical, they communicate, they know what they're supposed to be doing and they play as a unit.

No big ten team should ever be as lost as Iowa is on D.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
The thing about a new coach coming in is that you almost have to assume the entire roster turns over in this day and age. I would doubt Payton and Pryce would leave since they went to school with Tucker (assuming DeVries is the hire), but every other guy on that roster would take a lot of convincing to stay. Look at rosters of new coaches in the power 6 this year--it's almost a 100% turnover at each one.
Yeah, probably right.

Either way I'm ready for a fresh start. Frans been here a pretty long time and it just seems like it's run its course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT