ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa (W) vs Penn St Game Thread*****

As a RU fan, catlyn clark is the best female bball player I have ever see. I’m sure the mens team would love to have her. I know our mens team would ! Most definitely national player of the year.
Thanks. Wish you guys would crush Maryland every time you play them.

Glad we took care of business but not getting too excited about this result. PSU is about as bad of a P5 team as there is this season. They are essentially a 3rd rate version of OSU -- a decent guard-oriented offense but awful half court defense that their press tries to compensate for. Exactly the kind of team we should destroy.

I'm glad Warnock only had to play 18 minutes! Hopefully it was enough to help her keep getting her rhythm back without taking too much of a toll on her body.

It was fun to see nearly everyone score -- especially McCabe's back to back 3's and all of our posts getting quality paint touches. Particularly nice that McCabe got some run in the 3rd quarter. I, too, wish we could afford to play her a couple minutes against quality teams, but defensively the coaches seem to think it's too big of a risk. And I can't say I disagree with them... Next year will hopefully be her breakout year!

The concern with mc
Glad we took care of business but not getting too excited about this result. PSU is about as bad of a P5 team as there is this season. They are essentially a 3rd rate version of OSU -- a decent guard-oriented offense but awful half court defense that their press tries to compensate for. Exactly the kind of team we should destroy.

I'm glad Warnock only had to play 18 minutes! Hopefully it was enough to help her keep getting her rhythm back without taking too much of a toll on her body.

It was fun to see nearly everyone score -- especially McCabe's back to back 3's and all of our posts getting quality paint touches. Particularly nice that McCabe got some run in the 3rd quarter. I, too, wish we could afford to play her a couple minutes against quality teams, but defensively the coaches seem to think it's too big of a risk. And I can't say I disagree with them... Next year will hopefully be her breakout year!
The concern with McCabe is her build. She stepped on campus at 160. She really needs to add muscle to compete in the BIG because of how physical the league. You see how the added muscle has really helped Caitlin this year. McCabe will be a star but with her build she has the potential to get abused when she drives into traffic. You have to be able to play through opposing players in the BIG. If she can get up to 175 in the offseason she'll fare much better. She should see increased minutes next year as Marshall potentially moves on after the season. No decision if any of the players will take a 5th year but with scholarships the way they are at least one player will be moving on.

Recap by @BraydonRoberts5

Teams usually have one of two reactions to getting blown out in a first matchup, then playing that team again. Some teams circle that second game on their calendar. They make big gameplan changes and give the other team their best game, trying to prove the first blowout was a fluke.

Other teams don’t do anything special. They don’t get up for the second game, and usually a second blowout follows.

Would Penn State give Iowa a better game than it did the first time, or would Iowa cruise to another blowout win?

RECAP​

The opening few minutes of the game were chaotic. Both teams pushed tempo, but they also turned the ball over and missed easy shots. Iowa held a narrow 9-7 lead at the under-5 timeout, but it didn’t seem very comfortable.
The second part of the quarter went much better. Iowa got its offense rolling. On defense, Iowa allowed some initial penetration, but contested most shots and forced a lot of misses. That combination helped Iowa push the lead to 19-7 before a late Penn State basket made the score 19-9 heading to the second quarter.

In the second quarter, Iowa seized control of the game. Iowa’s offense kept rolling, and Penn State kept missing shots on the other end. All told, Iowa led 45-22 at the half. Iowa shot 60% from the floor in the first half. Penn State shot 22%. Iowa also had an incredible 29 rebounds at halftime.

Iowa quickly pushed its lead to 30 in the third quarter, then went into coast mode, getting the bench more involved. Iowa continued to build its lead anyway, and a Taylor McCabe three at the buzzer pushed it to 77-40 heading to the fourth quarter. Iowa rolled on in the final quarter, and won 95-51.

MORE HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/no-6-iowa-95-penn-state-51

I am old enough to remember Ronnie Lester the best Iowa point guard in the mens game. Til he got hurt, the best in the country. Clark shooting, rebounding and passing puts her at that level, just amazing to watch.

You are correct that PSU has some issues for sure. But beating them comfortably is what's expected. Absolutely curb stomping them on their home court takes it to another whole level entirely. Of course it doesn't mean we won't get our ass handed to us in Bloomington later this week. That could definitely happen. But what took place today in State College went quite a ways beyond merely "taking care of business." It looked like a WNBA team against a middle school JV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT