ADVERTISEMENT

Minny down's Maryland

Why do these teams keep on getting beat right before Iowa comes to town?! I don't like playing good teams coming off a upset L, especially @ home.. hope the Hawks can make it 2 come Saturday

Yea, I watched this game too and this is all I was thinking last night. :mad:

That and how god awful Maryland was shooting the ball from the perimeter and they were fairly open to some very open shots they were taking beyond the arc. It wasn't like Minny was playing a lock down perimeter defense either.

Once again though Murphy and Minny's bigs were blocking the Terps shot after shot and just got out worked inside on the boards on both ends. They shot the ball well too. Maryland was missing their other big 7-1 junior center Michal Cekovsky who is going to miss the rest of the season with a broken ankle. His injury does cut into an already thin frontcourt for the Terps which is not helping them either so maybe this will help the Hawks too?

Also, Melo played his best Peter Jok down the stretch in key moments just losing the ball out his hands dribbling twice turning it over to the Gophs.

Watch Maryland go unconscious shooting the ball on Saturday, no TOs and play with an edge tough inside. That's how it's been rolling this season.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
minny appears to have solidified their tourney bid.

msu should have work left to do, but is probably in as the tourney committee can't ignore their unwritten "sparty must always be in the field" rule.

nw most likely is in, although they can't afford to lose out.

scUM still has work to do.

Reactions: 0418hawkguy1001
I don't know that Maryland has lost back to back home games this year.. but we might catch them on the ropes or still hung over from the Minny game. Thing about that is we have to be able to advantage of every opportunity they give us at thier place..And Iowa needs to find a way to start games better, can't spot the Turtles 10 to start off.

Losing begets losing. Winning begets winning. Iowa is coming off a win. MD is coming off a loss. I like it. Iowa makes it two straights losses for the turtles, who Iowa had on the ropes in Iowa City but just couldn't quite finish off. The Hawkeyes make up for that on Saturday.

Losing begets losing. Winning begets winning. Iowa is coming off a win. MD is coming off a loss. I like it. Iowa makes it two straights losses for the turtles, who Iowa had on the ropes in Iowa City but just couldn't quite finish off. The Hawkeyes make up for that on Saturday.

I agree with most of the sentiment in this whole thread.

With this post in particular in mind, I think if the Hawks come out of the locker room intense and playing strong defense we make them miss some shots and doubt starts to enter their minds.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
I agree with most of the sentiment in this whole thread.

With this post in particular in mind, I think if the Hawks come out of the locker room intense and playing strong defense we make them miss some shots and doubt starts to enter their minds.
And if they don't, we now know (and the team knows) than Fran will wholesale substitute and that second unit will fight like hell to get Iowa back in the game. I'm betting the first unit doesn't want to keep putting that onus on the second unit. I'm betting that the first unit sets a positive defensive, and defensive rebounding tone.

I sure as hell hope they do.

One of the developments that gives me some confidence going into the Maryland game is Williams coming off a good showing. This helps reduce the load on Bohannon, hopefully making him more effective in his minutes.

And with Maryland having both Cowan and Trimble who must be kept in relative check, Williams defensive ability could really help things.

Let's hope his performance vs Indiana translates to a tough road environment at Maryland.

Iowa is due for a hot night from the 3 point line and
perhaps Jok, Bohannon and Baer can get it started.
We need to start hitting our shots from the opening
of the game and keep it going for 40 minutes.

The Minnesota Golden Pitinos need to go away and take their refs with them.

It's 2017, not 1997.

Iowa's starting unit is seven or eight or nine players. A couple of our starters barely play in the second half when Fran wants the guys he trusts in there. If you want Fran's "true" starting five, go to the stats and look up which five or six guys have the most minutes.

Reactions: GoHawks2009
Why do these teams keep on getting beat right before Iowa comes to town?! I don't like playing good teams coming off a upset L, especially @ home.. hope the Hawks can make it 2 come Saturday
I know, sucks doesn't it? Also, we seem to struggle against guys with man-buns and headbands. Don't think the Terps have any. Might have a shot.

I've given up what to expect out of this Iowa team game to game...and the rest of the conference's malingering doesn't exactly tell me a whole lot about what to expect from Maryland either.

I'm pretty sure Iowa won't lose or win by 40 is about all I expect in this game. But considering how streaky they've been, I'd say they probably will compete.

But again...who knows really. It's not like Maryland is a great team or anything either.

I've given up what to expect out of this Iowa team game to game...and the rest of the conference's malingering doesn't exactly tell me a whole lot about what to expect from Maryland either.

I'm pretty sure Iowa won't lose or win by 40 is about all I expect in this game. But considering how streaky they've been, I'd say they probably will compete.

But again...who knows really. It's not like Maryland is a great team or anything either.
Yes, we indeed have been inconsistent. Hard to gauge what to expect. Part of the learning process I suppose.

One thing I'd like to expect consistently is the effort expected by Fran.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT